Sony Trinitron Integrated Digital

Good morning all, a nice site here with lots of knowledge flying around so I was wondering is someone could please help me.

I have just acquired a Sony Trinitron (its KD32DX40U) from a friend but I cannot get the integrated digital working. I know my aerial is capable because I have a set top box which gets full signal.

The TV is currently set up as in the manual with aerial only. Ie aerial coming in and then an RF loop through cable connected.

Analogue TV quality is perfect and freeview through the set top box (via SCART) is fine. But when I switch to the integrated digital it just says no signal. Doesnt seem right. Is there something really obvious that Im missing?

Thanks in advance

Comments

• David (2)David (2) Posts: 20,632
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Is the aerial cord going straight into the tv, or does it loop through another device? Not sure from the way you worded the post. If it does go in and out another device, remove that device, and try the direct route first, then select re-scan on the tv (or whatever Sony call it).

BTW, Welcolme to DS

Dave
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,050
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    David is almost certainly correct: the loop-through on your current digibox only loops through the analog channels not the digital ones as well.

Do as he suggests and plug the external aerial directly into the TV and test like this. This will test the TV to check that all is correct there.

Rgds,
    Scorp
  • hulbs9nwhulbs9nw Posts: 8
    Forum Member
    Sorry I worded it incorrectly. I only mentioned the digibox to prove that I could actually receive a digital signal. When I plug the aerial directly into the TV I cannot get the integrated digital to work - it just says no signal in the setup/system information.

The loop that I mention is the RF loop that is advised in the user manual.

Hope someone can help, cheers.
  • kaskas Posts: 427
    Forum Member
    I had the Sony 28DX40 and if yours is the same there are two aerial inputs and one output on the back of the tv.
    Aerial In - For Digital
    Aerial Out - To VCR/ PVR or whatever
    Aerial In for analogue

Hope this makes sense so basically there are two inputs one for digital and one for analogue, make sure you have it set up this way
    kas
  • bobcarbobcar Posts: 19,424
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    hulbs9nw wrote:
    Sorry I worded it incorrectly. I only mentioned the digibox to prove that I could actually receive a digital signal. When I plug the aerial directly into the TV I cannot get the integrated digital to work - it just says no signal in the setup/system information.

The loop that I mention is the RF loop that is advised in the user manual.

Hope someone can help, cheers.

This may not be of any help but I seem to remember something about these TVs having the digital tuner on a different loop to the analogue. Do you have extra RF sockets on the back of the TV? If so these need to be connected. If you have these and they are connected I would supect the cable is faulty/not pushed in or there is a TV fault or maybe the aerial has to go into a different socket.

I don't have this TV so I'm working from a vague memory about this and may be speaking garbage, if so please ignore my post.

Edit: My memory is coming back sort of. I think these TVs expect the Aerial to go into a socket for the Freeview, the output then comes out of an RF with Freeview modulated on a channel and into the other socket for analogue (a VCR may be put in this loop for recording). It may be the aerial is going into the wrong socket, I'd try swapping then around.
  • kaskas Posts: 427
    Forum Member
    Yeah bobcar you are correct. As I said in post 5 there are seperate rear sockets for digital and analogue input.
    Digital In -> RF out (loop to vcr if required) -> Analogue In
    kas
    Forum Member
    Im sure Ive tried the aerial in both but I'll have another play - thanks for the help
  • bobcarbobcar Posts: 19,424
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    kas wrote:
    Yeah bobcar you are correct. As I said in post 5 there are seperate rear sockets for digital and analogue input.
    Digital In -> RF out (loop to vcr if required) -> Analogue In
    kas

Right, our posts crossed.
    Forum Member
    Thanks for the help I managed to get this working, just needed to do an auto tune and then it picked up the channels.

However when I use the EPG it sort of crashes and restarts. Ive searched the forum and Ive noticed there was a software download which cured this problem. I still have version r1.02 and was just wondering if people knew whether the download was still available. I am leaving it on BBC1 in a hope that it will still work. The person who I got it from didnt use the integrated digital so obviously it didnt update for them.

Thanks
  • russellellyrussellelly Posts: 11,687
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No dowloads are broadcast unless they're listed on http://www.dtg.org.uk/retailer/download_schedule.pl . Could be a bit of a wait if it does get rebroadcast.
    Forum Member
    No dowloads are broadcast unless they're listed on http://www.dtg.org.uk/retailer/download_schedule.pl . Could be a bit of a wait if it does get rebroadcast.

That is a very good link, I didnt realise downloads were done on a rotational basis. Im guessing it is going to be a while before the KD32DX40U's are repeated.

Thanks for all the help peeps! :D