Options

was the late Katy French Ireland's sweetheart before she died? Any Irish ppl agree?

Sarah.OXSarah.OX Posts: 1,204
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I think she was. I think Katy was adored by all Irish people, the media loved her too and I remember people were devastated when she died. Anyone else agree she was a bit like Cheryl Cole, in the sense of the national treasure thing?

Comments

• Options
    IdiotgirleIdiotgirle Posts: 2,881
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sarah.OX wrote: »
    I think she was. I think Katy was adored by all Irish people, the media loved her too and I remember people were devastated when she died. Anyone else agree she was a bit like Cheryl Cole, in the sense of the national treasure thing?
    She was in her coke addled arse! She was a pretty, blonde, construct by the Sunday Independent to create a Cheryl/Jordan-a-like and then she od'd and now they're trying to create a Diana-like martyr.

Fake hysteria for a pointless micro celeb and no amount of reprints of photoshoots in the Sindo mag will change that. Irish people aren't as gullible about being told who's famous as our British counterparts!
  • Options
    parthyparthy Posts: 5,408
    Forum Member
    Hate to say this about a dead girl but I really couldn't stand her, she was a pathetic figure.

I'll never forget a terribly-written article she wrote for an Irish broadsheet (that I promptly stopped buying) where she complained about how hard it was to be "admired" constantly because of being a model. :rolleyes:

So, Ireland's Sweetheart? Not to me she wasn't.
    I think Katy was adored by all Irish people

Most people I know didn't have a clue who she was when she died.

EDIT: Ah, Idiotgirle, I see you've mentioned said broadsheet in your post. ;)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 552
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Idiotgirle wrote: »
    She was in her coke addled arse! She was a pretty, blonde, construct by the Sunday Independent to create a Cheryl/Jordan-a-like and then she od'd and now they're trying to create a Diana-like martyr.

Fake hysteria for a pointless micro celeb and no amount of reprints of photoshoots in the Sindo mag will change that. Irish people aren't as gullible about being told who's famous as our British counterparts!
    parthy wrote: »
    Hate to say this about a dead girl but I really couldn't stand her, she was a pathetic figure.

I'll never forget a terribly-written article she wrote for an Irish broadsheet (that I promptly stopped reading) where she complained about how hard it was to be "admired" constantly because of being a model. :rolleyes:

agree with both these, I remember her doing interviews on how she broke up with her then fiance because she posed in her underwear and he objected, who cares i also remember one paper claiming she turned to coke after no one turned up for her birthday party when i assure that was def not her first time doin it.
  • Options
    parthyparthy Posts: 5,408
    Forum Member
    Spanx wrote: »
    i also remember one paper claiming she turned to coke after no one turned up for her birthday party

It was an official, publicity-seeking birthday party where she knew hardly anyone on the guest-list. What a depressing event.
  • Options
    Squealer_MahonySquealer_Mahony Posts: 6,483
    Forum Member
    I'm Irish and I'd never even heard of her til she died to be honest.

We don't really do celebrities like they do in the UK in my opinion, it's a lot more relaxed here.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Idiotgirle wrote: »
    . Irish people aren't as gullible about being told who's famous as our British counterparts!

i think it's more we don't buy into Irish celebs, people like Paris Hilton and even Jordan would have a following here but we don't give a stuff when it comes to our own talentless wannabes.
  • Options
    Sarah.OXSarah.OX Posts: 1,204
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    i think it's more we don't buy into Irish celebs, people like Paris Hilton and even Jordan would have a following here but we don't give a stuff when it comes to our own talentless wannabes.

That made me LOL! What exactly is Paris Hilton talented for? I very much doubt Iirsh folks would pay much attention to her. And um, she kinda is a wannabe and pretty talentless :p
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,266
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Why are you bringing this up now? She died on 6th December 2007 - nearly three years ago. Is she being canonized or something?
  • Options
    IdiotgirleIdiotgirle Posts: 2,881
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    margurita wrote: »
    Why are you bringing this up now? She died on 6th December 2007 - nearly three years ago. Is she being canonized or something?
    Yes. See next week's Sunday Indo commemorative colour special for details!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    That made me LOL! What exactly is Paris Hilton talented for? I very much doubt Iirsh folks would pay much attention to her. And um, she kinda is a wannabe and pretty talentless :p

Eh that's my point.

People like Jordan and Paris are embraced by some here despite being famous for nothing but our own Irish talentless wannabes don't get the same following.

Not really sure how else I can explain that ...:confused:

And as for Irish folks not paying much attention, well she was coming here for something a few years back and a radio station had a feature trying to figure out why anyone would want to meet Paris Hilton. A number of girls rang up talking about what a good role model she is and how she's such a hard worker etc blah blah blah the usual crap.
    There's gullible people in every country , our country is just very small.
  • Options
    phasersphasers Posts: 2,607
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    People liked Katy French? I thought the Sindo made that up. most people had never heard of her until she killed herself
  • Options
    conchieconchie Posts: 14,052
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Katy French was a very pretty girl with her whole life ahead of her, and therefore it has to be a tragedy that she is now in her grave.

However she was very much part of the Model/Party set, and seemed to hoover coke faster than a top model Dyson. She seemed to crave fame and sadly ended up being headlines on every paper for all the wrong reasons.

I would in no way say she was idolised by the Irish people. Not by a LONGGGGG stretch.

A very foolish girl.
  • Options
    Leicester_HunkLeicester_Hunk Posts: 18,316
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've never even heard of her. I bet Irish people cannot say that about Cheryl Cole mores the pity.
  • Options
    Neighbours_FanNeighbours_Fan Posts: 7,514
    Forum Member
    To be honest, the first time I heard of her was after she died :o
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,114
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ive had to google her. She appeared to be young and attractive. Sad for her to have died before her time.
  • Options
    muppeteermuppeteer Posts: 3,350
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No disrespect to the girl but her "fame" was hyped up a lot in the Irish media after she died.

She was not a Cheryl Cole type figure in Ireland. If you didn't read the Sunday Independent (horribly trashy paper that used to have half decent journalism but is in the gutter for years now) you probably wouldn't have known who she was. Most people didn't, or might have been vaguely aware of her but wouldn't know much about her. By no means a national treasure even among Sindo readers.

There was a fly on the wall documentary on TV3 about her that was aired posthumously. Have to say, she did come across as a reasonably intelligent girl in it who knew 100% how to play the media, but she also seemed to be quite an insecure person.
  • Options
    cnbcwatchercnbcwatcher Posts: 56,681
    Forum Member
    I don't know really, don't remember her being in our newspapers until she died but I rarely watch RTE News or read Irish papers (mostly look at the headlines), tbh I don't think she was as well known as Cheryl Cole.
  • Options
    The SnakesThe Snakes Posts: 8,940
    Forum Member
    A coked up slag with a rich dad, no loss to Ireland IMO. Didn't the PM or someone high up in the government attend her funeral? I'm sure there are plenty of druggies who fatally OD every weekend in Dublin, wonder if they get leading policians at their burials?
  • Options
    BadRomanceBadRomance Posts: 8,734
    Forum Member
    I had never even heard of her until she died, then the media made her out to be some huge icon when she clearly wasn't and I am sick to death of hearing about her. There was a lot of people died from coke that winter, and we are not still hearing about them two years later.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 237
    Forum Member
    I had never even heard of her until she died, then the media made her out to be some huge icon when she clearly wasn't and I am sick to death of hearing about her. There was a lot of people died from coke that winter, and we are not still hearing about them two years later.

Hear hear, BadRomance! Could not have put it better.
    As well as the Indo, the Irish Mirror are always trying to make out she was a massive star here, their showbiz guy regularly (STILL! 2 and a half years later!!) throwing in the odd tribute to his 'close pal' Katy French on a slow news day. I'm sort of wondering whether the OP is also sick of reading about her and was baiting us before, playing devil's advocate to elicit the most poisonous responses... :D