Corrie, 8:30pm, 15/12/11 - I Like Carla, And I Like Leanne.... But Which Is Better?

Comments

• Leicester_HunkLeicester_Hunk Posts: 18,316
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    k9fan wrote: »
    I love Emily and Rita.
    And I still miss Ernie Bishop.

Steve is getting very thin on top.

Peter (in my opinion) will never decide between his wife and his mistress, he doesn't have the strength of character to do so. He will resent his wife because be wants to be with his mistress and feels guilty; he will resent his mistress when he wants to be with his wife and son.

Carla would be after him if he was still about
  • Holz_Holz_ Posts: 1,417
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sorry to be dim, but what were you thinking she lied about? Having a brother? - I think as you say, it is clear she has one :)
    That's what I mean, why it was odd. Surely he'd have known she had a brother? So I guess he meant it the other way. He said to Liam when he asked him to be his best man that he wanted Carla to "have her family around her", and yet we know she didn't invite her *actual* family to the wedding. I think she probably pretty much became an honoury Connor sister when she married Paul, to be honest. They became her family.
  • madaboutcarlamadaboutcarla Posts: 10,832
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Holz_ wrote: »
    That's what I mean, why it was odd. Surely he'd have known she had a brother? So I guess he meant it the other way. He said to Liam when he asked him to be his best man that he wanted Carla to "have her family around her", and yet we know she didn't invite her *actual* family to the wedding. I think she probably pretty much became an honoury Connor sister when she married Paul, to be honest. They became her family.

I think it is clear she has a brother as remember at her mother's will reading, although we didn't see it, it was mentioned he was there.

And yep, I agree, I think the Connor's did become her family, and sadly she lost them too, apart from Michelle.
  • Joy DeanJoy Dean Posts: 21,346
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Carla would be after him if he was still about
    I hope not:eek:;)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Just a brief comment, I think another thing was that it was a bit of a shock for us that Carla & Peter actually slept together.

I follow all the spoilers and certainly wasn't expecting us, we have a separate 'appreciation' thread for Carla & Peter, and don't think any of us expected either!
  • AbrielAbriel Posts: 8,525
    Forum Member
    I hope not:eek:;)

only if he was still married to Emily though;)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Okay, just watching it again, I think one of the thing's that made some of us disappointed tonight was that in one scene - (well two actually but they were set immediately after eachother/ a continuation of each other rather than two different times/ places if that makes sense) Carla was from 'hating' Peter (obvious not really hating him but deeply hurt) to accepting an affair, and then saying she was ready to have sex (I prefer the term make love in this case) with him. I reckon if they had separated it, to a scene later in the day, having had them both talk a little more post agreeing that for now an affair was the only way to be together, and then had Carla saying she felt ready to have sex it may have been better.

^ Any thoughts on this?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,575
    Forum Member
    Actually it was all their behaviour I didn't like, not just a scene.

I am glad Gary and Izzy are moving again. And I am loving the oldies are getting plenty to do lately. Rita and Emily insulting each other was brilliant.
  • agatha_crispiesagatha_crispies Posts: 31,321
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Gulftastic wrote: »

I had to favourite that :D

It reminds me of my Halloween party in 1999.
  • SULLASULLA Posts: 149,789
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Sylar11 wrote: »
    No Chesney, you're not Del Boy. You're an unfunny Trigger. :rolleyes:
    Those big trees. Anyone buying them would need to have a massive great hole in the ceiling:o:rolleyes:
    Gulftastic wrote: »
    Right, hands up all those who give a toss about Owen's fish pond....
    Me
    I'm a bit worried about the fish.............:o
    Ditto.

I don't want Owen to be stupid I want him to sort Platt out permanently:mad:
    Notice how Tracy isn't scared of Becky now, because she knows Becky won't touch her while she's pregnant. Devious cow. :rolleyes:

She would be daft to think that:o
    Before I even read what people have said I am assuming there is a lot of hate for Carla and Peter right now!
    I was more interested to watch Rebecca:)
    For possibly the first time ever, I agree with Tracy.
    What about:confused:
    Steve is getting very thin on top.

He has a very interesting hairline
  • lotty27lotty27 Posts: 17,858
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Great start to the thread Aggie - loving all the old clips!

Lloyd proab the only person alive that misses Russ!

You can say that again!
    mrbernay wrote: »
    This is making me as queasy as Maurel....

Me too :(
    kittykat30 wrote: »
    Rita and Emily fighting over cooking. LOVE IT :D

As did I. More of the Corrie old guard please!
    LilAngel wrote: »
    I had no idea Carla and Peter slept together in this episode. A bit more should have been made of it, since it obviously took Carla a great deal of trust after her rape.

However, I condone neither her nor Peter's actions. Peter is a slimeball. Carla is a disappointment - no more fiery woman, like when she told Liam to get out after leaving her for Maria.

I can't help but think that Carla slept with Peter to keep him because he never left Leanne and she thought she was losing him - and I HATE it. I preferred it when she was giving him hell. I didn't like all the 'romantic' stuff i.e. I can't live without you, I'll have you when I can, I'll wait etc. Apart from giving him permission to be a two-timing sleazeball (yet again!) it more importantly made her look needy and weak and I HATE seeing Carla brought so low that she'll accept his sloppy seconds after he's given the majority of his time and energy to his family. There's nothing in this relationship for her except hurt. How's she going to feel on Christmas Day knowing he's sitting playing Happy Families while she's probably losing herself in a bottle? I'm going to hate watching this, I just know it!!!
    I knew there'd be a load of Carla hate tonight and to be honest I can't blame people. It all started out so well, with her standing up for herself, then suddenly it all just switched. "Come next door with me". Sorry but who was writing that scene?! Personality transplant, much? I mean, this was Carla's time since she was raped, and not 5 minutes before she'd been telling Peter she hated him. Completely rushed and insensitively done, in my opinion. Which is a shame, because up until now the whole thing had been very sensitively done.

So typical how what has been a powerful and interesting storyline has suddenly become a sleazy, cheap affair. Not happy.

Completely agree with this post.
    Peter's acting like a selfish moron, which is no surprise since he has form in that department, particularly when it comes to women. That's what makes his character so wonderfully nuanced; we know he's not a bad person, but he's acting badly by committing a succession of selfish acts.

I'll Peter one thing when he's got two women on the go at once - he never looks smug or pleased with himself about it. In fact it looks like he actually suffers!
    As for Carla making a comment about Leanne not being Simon's real Mum, I was one of the people who was really furious about that. I can be fair though; Carla doesn't see the scenes we do, she obviously can't comprehend the relationship between Simon and Leanne that we always see.

If anything, her comments were born out of ignorance. Mostly, I was annoyed because if you asked Simon who his Mum was, he'd say Leanne in a heartbeat. You can't take a relationship like that lightly.

Yes, she was completely out of line saying that. It doesn't matter if Leanne is his birth mother or not, they have a huge attachment to each other which cannot be ignored - and Peter knows this. In my honest opinion, if Simon wasn't involved he'd have chucked Leanne by now and would be with Carla.
    But anyway. The only way at the moment I semi-justify the sudden change of heart regarding sex was that Carla did it because she was so desperate to keep hold of Peter and feared he'd walk away if she didn't. The scene when she asked him whether he changed his mind because she didn't "put out the other night" I think was very telling, and maybe another example Carla putting on a front to disguise her true feelings. I think she did worry that that was a reason, and maybe the "come next door" thing was to do with that.

Also it could've been a bit of a two-finger thing at Frank, as she'd got the letter through about the trial date. Maybe she was trying to show that she was over it, even though she isn't?

BIB: Completely, that's the way I interpreted it too and TBH, in some irrational way, I didn't like Peter taking her up on the offer!

Your last paragraph is an interesting view on the 'sex' situation too. You could well be right. Combination of a two fingered salute to Frank and the fear of losing Peter.
    SULLA wrote: »
    I don't want Owen to be stupid I want him to sort Platt out permanently:mad:

I'd be quite happy if Owen dug he pond out again and buried David in it :o He was OK for a while but now he's an unbearable little twerp again. Pity Charlie's not still around to dunk his head in the bathwater again!!
    I was more interested to watch Rebecca:)

I enjoyed Becky's scenes too. She's great when she's 'normal' and not going off on one and I'm actually going to miss her. The actress has a lot of screen presence IMO.
  • SULLASULLA Posts: 149,789
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    lotty27 wrote: »
    I can't help but think that Carla slept with Peter to keep him because he never left Leanne and she thought she was losing him - and I HATE it. I preferred it when she was giving him hell. I didn't like all the 'romantic' stuff i.e. I can't live without you, I'll have you when I can, I'll wait etc. Apart from giving him permission to be a two-timing sleazeball (yet again!) it more importantly made her look needy and weak and I HATE seeing Carla brought so low that she'll accept his sloppy seconds after he's given the majority of his time and energy to his family. There's nothing in this relationship for her except hurt. How's she going to feel on Christmas Day knowing he's sitting playing Happy Families while she's probably losing herself in a bottle? I'm going to hate watching this, I just know it!!!

Perhaps Carla is building up a catelogue of events to hit Leanne with in due course
  • lotty27lotty27 Posts: 17,858
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    SULLA wrote: »
    Perhaps Carla is building up a catelogue of events to hit Leanne with in due course

In the sense that until now they hadn't actually acted on their feelings but now they've actually slept together and Peter has been unfaithful physically?

Is Carla really that calculating at the moment? I just saw vulnerability TBH. Once upon a time I would have believed it no question though!

Oooh you've got me thinking now Sulla!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    In the sense that until now they hadn't actually acted on their feelings but now they've actually slept together and Peter has been unfaithful physically?

Is Carla really that calculating at the moment? I just saw vulnerability TBH. Once upon a time I would have believed it no question though!

This - I only saw vulnerably. I don't think the Carla we see now, would do that. I think on her part, it is genuinely all love and needing to be loved.
  • nickymongernickymonger Posts: 11,412
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It annoys me any such inference that what peter and carla is doing is okay. Peter is a man in real life we should stay away from; weak and somehow justifying his affairs as he is "in love". He falls in and out of love at the drop of a hat. He was a bygamist because he fell in love wih multiple women and couldn't say no. And Leanne could have been happy with Nick. Not that that affair was any better, but at least it was before marriage vows. It is NEVER okay in any circumstance imo to have an affair!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It annoys me any such inference that what peter and carla is doing is okay. Peter is a man in real life we should stay away from; weak and somehow justifying his affairs as he is "in love". He falls in and out of love at the drop of a hat. He was a bygamist because he fell in love wih multiple women and couldn't say no. And Leanne could have been happy with Nick. Not that that affair was any better, but at least it was before marriage vows. It is NEVER okay in any circumstance imo to have an affair!
    I quite agree with that absolutely, and have been saying so for quite a while. At least since marriage, Leanne has done her best to make amends for what she and Nick did (to which "Carl" helped her I shall never forget).

How many letters are published to agony aunts in magazines from women saying will he stay with me if I agree to have sex with him? or will he leave his wife if I have sex with him? And hasn't the answer been no?

Marriage is worthwhile, it is worth working at, and I wish that the scriptwriters had not gone down this road. Please, scriptwriters, once this physical affair has run its course, let Leanne, Peter and Simon be an ongoing family unit. Thank you.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I quite agree with that absolutely, and have been saying so for quite a while. At least since marriage, Leanne has done her best to make amends for what she and Nick did (to which "Carl" helped her I shall never forget).

How many letters are published to agony aunts in magazines from women saying will he stay with me if I agree to have sex with him? or will he leave his wife if I have sex with him? And hasn't the answer been no?

Marriage is worthwhile, it is worth working at, and I wish that the scriptwriters had not gone down this road. Please, scriptwriters, once this physical affair has run its course, let Leanne, Peter and Simon be an ongoing family unit. Thank you.

Oh I agree. I might love Peter & Carla together, but I would much rather they were not having an affair.

I definitely agree that marriage is worthwhile, but regarding Peter & Leanne I feel their marriage has sadly run its course. Between them they have had several affairs, and I don't think they have a healthy relationship. What I see, is a man who can not really open up to his wife, and always seems to lie to her. He just can't be honest with her. I think she tries, but doesn't really understand him. Further more she wants a baby, and he doesn't - yes she said she would wait until they were ready in yesterday's episode, but I am not convinced.

I think Peter is torn between the woman he loves, Carla, and stability for Simon, which comes in the form of Leanne, and I reckon he feels he owes Simon that stability. However I don't think a two people should stay for the sake of the child - sounds harsh but I don't think children are stupid and as Simon gets older he be aware of the cracks/ strains in their relationship.

Just my view.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oh I agree. I might love Peter & Carla together, but I would much rather they were not having an affair.

I definitely agree that marriage is worthwhile, but regarding Peter & Leanne I feel their marriage has sadly run its course. Between them they have had several affairs, and I don't think they have a healthy relationship. What I see, is a man who can not really open up to his wife, and always seems to lie to her. He just can't be honest with her. I think she tries, but doesn't really understand him. Further more she wants a baby, and he doesn't - yes she said she would wait until they were ready in yesterday's episode, but I am not convinced.

I think Peter is torn between the woman he loves, Carla, and stability for Simon, which comes in the form of Leanne, and I reckon he feels he owes Simon that stability. However I don't think a two people should stay for the sake of the child - sounds harsh but I don't think children are stupid and as Simon gets older he be aware of the cracks/ strains in their relationship.

Just my view.

A very short course given to them, in my opinion :)

Leanne has not looked elsewhere, as far as I know, since their marriage.

He is not honest with Carla either nor with himself.

What woman does understand a man completely or even 50% a lot of the time and vice versa;)

And my view - scriptwriters please find a man with whom Carla can have an open honest relationship, and get Leanne, Peter and Simon on the road again to an ongoing family unit. Thank you.

Joy
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

And my view - scriptwriters please find a man with whom Carla can have an open honest relationship, and get Leanne, Peter and Simon on the road again to an ongoing family unit. Thank you.

Right, then I should have said their relationship has run it's course IMO.

I think he is being honest with Carla when he says he loves her, but whole situation is very messy. Just my opinion ;)
  • kwynne42kwynne42 Posts: 75,337
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Lloyd was obviously lying about going to America, he's really off to visit the far future and a certain very large red spaceship.
  • jsmith99jsmith99 Posts: 20,382
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Is chesney leaving the unsold trees outside on the street overnight? It seems a risky thing to do.

He could be taking them around to the backyard, I suppose - in which case, by the time he got back from taking the first one, the rest would have diappeared.
  • yourfabulousyourfabulous Posts: 1,067
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Peter and Carla have convinced me. I think it's been great (but frustrating at the same time) to watch them take 'forever' to get to where they are now.

As for Leanne... I think she's always known how Peter feels about Carla, even before he knew himself!

I feel sorry for Simon already to be honest, and I don't for one second want to agree with infidelity - so even though Leanne did have an affair herself - I do feel sorry for her too. However it's Peter and Carla! The best thing about them has been their lasting friendship. Peter has always been there for Carla and she's always been there for him. Their friendship has really gone through the mill and yet it's become stronger with every difficult experience... I think their whole relationship defines TRUE LOVE. I really believe they are one couple that could actually last.
  • DaZ_yUv_XDaZ_yUv_X Posts: 1,684
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No matter how bad some people may view it, it's still a great storyline. Good storylines should have large debates and this one certainly has created one! :) I'm fascinated to see where it goes from here.
  • Scottish_girlScottish_girl Posts: 5,786
    Forum Member
    I think Carla is selfish, the same as Peter. It's an unhealthy relationship with alcohol playing a huge part.

Carla really disappointed me in the episode, one scene she's telling him to sling his hook, the next she's agreeing to an affair and they sleep together which i think is a bit unrealistic considering her history.

Carla is manipulative, and she doesn't care who she hurts, that's been proven in the past with Liam and Maria. Just like then she has no qualms about breaking up a family. I can't understand women like her.

I realise that Peter is just as bad, I'm not for a minute suggesting he's not. He is very selfish and doesn't deserve either woman.
  • Ella NutElla Nut Posts: 8,973
    Forum Member

What woman does understand a man completely or even 50% a lot of the time and vice versa;)

Joy

ALL of this. I think Peter's in lust anyway not love. The passion has probably died down with Leanne and he has replaced the bottle with Carla.