What do you feed your cat?

2»

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,864
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tess-g wrote: »
    Mine was raised on the Royal Canin kitten food too. Wet food...nooooooooooo :o:blush:

He's long haired and I'm never going to give wet food again.

If you've never had a long haired cat with loose bowels you haven't lived.

Warm bath....seriously freaked out cat......bathroom with shite everywhere. Not good :D

lol, Word! I have a Maine **** and had a Persian 'boarder' with me for a while and I know! The wet food treat is literally a 100g pouch divided by (currently) 9 cats so about a teaspoon each! I go through roughly 80kg a month of RC dry food though :o
  • HeartacheHeartache Posts: 4,299
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mostly the Gourmet small tins, a variety of pouches Purina One Chicken/Beef. Encore Chicken, Felix Supermeat. Fresh cooked chicken served at room temperature. Chicken livers, pots bought from local butchers. Gently simmered in a small amount of water for 10/15 mins, left to cool in the saucepan, and served chopped with a couple of spoonfuls of the cooking liquid.

Small tin of tuna in spring water, and sometimes tin of salmond.

Sometimes a couple of fresh beef slices from the deli counter, small saucer of wiskers bisuits with cheese or a few Iams.

Hand fed some ham, and some cheese.

Tom the garden shed stray gets all of this too, but he also LOVES a saucer of evaporated milk.
  • chris1978chris1978 Posts: 1,931
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My two cats will only eat Gormet Solitaire food. The ones in the little tins. It's good quality as has a higher meat content than most. We used to be more varied with food until my one cat Pebbles has had continuing problems with cystitis so cannot eat dried. Henry my other cat is longhaired and part Persian, I give him those "anti hairball" treats as he suffers from hair alls. He enjoys the gourmet but has an odd taste for scraps, he particularly likes peas and melon! As a treat I give them tuna or salmon.
  • clm2071clm2071 Posts: 6,644
    Forum Member
    chris1978 wrote: »
    My two cats will only eat Gormet Solitaire food. The ones in the little tins. It's good quality as has a higher meat content than most. We used to be more varied with food until my one cat Pebbles has had continuing problems with cystitis so cannot eat dried. Henry my other cat is longhaired and part Persian, I give him those "anti hairball" treats as he suffers from hair alls. He enjoys the gourmet but has an odd taste for scraps, he particularly likes peas and melon! As a treat I give them tuna or salmon.

Isnt the Gourmet Solitaire one of the 'animal derivatives inc 4% meat' ones?

Thats about the lowest meat content you can get, the premium foods are 60+%, none of the 'derivatives' rubbish
  • Susan_A1951Susan_A1951 Posts: 1,081
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    When I got my rehomed moggie, he came with a pack of expensive organic food - was told that was all he would eat. Hah! In the first few months, I went through every wonderful cat food imaginable. He would eat it for a few days, just long enough for me to buy a few weeks worth - and then he would go off it and yowl pathetically and continually. Long term - my cat owning family inherited a lot of uneaten packs, until he finally condescended to eat Felix tuna or chicken in jelly - nothing else.

In the last four years he has turned up his nose at the occasional treat of fresh chicken, salmon - you name it. All he will eat is Felix jelly and then continually howls for more.

Spoilt? Absolutely!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3
    Forum Member
    I have prefer the home made food for my lovely cat. It is very good for his health.
  • Teo DollTeo Doll Posts: 256
    Forum Member
    A lot of the foods mentioned are complimentary foods, encore, applaws, etc and will make your cat put on a lot of weight, stick to complete foods they're better for your cat.
    Forum Member
    Just found out that James Wellbeloved have changed their cat food from proper meat to meal. Not very happy as we've only just changed our 2 cats onto JW and the high meat content was the main factor in the decision.

The hunt starts for a new food!
  • trevgotrevgo Posts: 28,241
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Royal Canin Fit 32 and nowt else.

I wasn't happy at the start - never fed my previous cats dried food, but she was on it at the sanctuary and the vets (of course) recommend it. We used to supplement it with fish or chicken but she would have one mouthful and leave it. Then the gourmet little tins as a "treat" but she didn't see it that way.

So we relented and it's her sole diet. Drinks plenty of water. She is fit as a fiddle, beautiful thick silky coat (mixed tortoiseshell, white, black and brown - incredible colours and never seen another like her) and happy as can be. Last check up at the vets and they said she was in perfect health and a perfect weight.

So......despite all the warnings, we will continue.
  • Pumping IronPumping Iron Posts: 29,891
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Whiskers, Felix or KiteKat usually. It depends what's on offer at the time.
  • kimotagkimotag Posts: 11,064
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Felix Doubly Delicious -fish variety and GoKat biscuits. She also loves Whiskas cat treats.
  • curmycurmy Posts: 4,725
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Felix Doubly delicious meat or fish pouches. Sometimes mine has Encore as well.

She also has James Wellbeloved or Royal Canine cat biscuits to snack during the day.
  • misha06misha06 Posts: 3,378
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Beast in his old age is getting very picky.

We will buy some top quality cat food and he will snarf that down, then randomly decide one morning he doesn't fancy that anymore. But as a rule he will eat Felix and Whiskers sachets. He has never liked the tinned variety of any cat food, and has on occasion squeaked and 'kicked' his bowl if it presented.

So now we sort of wing it; our Morissons store sells deli offcuts at 23p per 100grams and he likes that.

He won't leave the gaff if he can smell chicken cooking.

We made a chilli the other week, and he came battering in demanding food, so just to see, the OH put down a couple of spoonfulls.

Snarfed down, except for the kidney beans which he spat out onto the floor.

As the odd treat he gets cheese once in a while, which goes down with much purring and slobbering

That and his continued hunting he eats like a lord, albeit one with a bit of grubby pallet.
  • Dave1979Dave1979 Posts: 1,804
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Lyceum wrote: »
    Zoo plus portia 21 grain free. £30 for a 10kg bag. Lasts months. 60+% meat.

http://m.zooplus.co.uk/shop/cats/dry_cat_food/porta_21/porta21_feline_finest/170885

And encore/applies went for one as it's all she'll touch. And natures menu/hi life pate for the other.

Burns is basically meat flavoured rice. Over expensive filler filled food. It's not bad in the sense it's full or crap r numbers and sugar etc. but for the price you can buy so much better.

They get Porta21 for their dinner but Bozita (proper wet food with mainly meat unlike supermarket stuff) for breakfast and supper. Just my opinion but I don't think cats should be on a purely dry diet - they hardly use the water bowl since switching to this. Also no dingleberry incidents since the move to wet. Happened every few weeks on the purely dry diet
  • HeavenlyHeavenly Posts: 31,915
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My baby is 11 now and won't touch wet food.

I give her Iams, James Well Beloved, Royal Canine or Science Plan Senior with plenty of fresh water every day. She never goes out & is as fit as a fiddle though on the small side, only 3kg, she's never had a big appetite.
  • miss_astridmiss_astrid Posts: 1,808
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just a quick update on mine, we've figured out Purina has too higher cereal content for our tom. He's allergic.

We're now trialling both the Bengal and the tom on several foods, James Wellbeloved, Applaws and Royal Canin (the one for fussy eaters - although this was bought when my Bengal was ill, she's better now :)).

When I posted in this thread originally, I dismissed the thought of Purina being full of crap (basically). Well, I've now changed my stance since my tom is allergic to the cereal in it. If you want high protein food, go with a more expensive brand. It'll work out cheaper in the long run as you won't have to feed them as much.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just a quick update on mine, we've figured out Purina has too higher cereal content for our tom. He's allergic.

We're now trialling both the Bengal and the tom on several foods, James Wellbeloved, Applaws and Royal Canin (the one for fussy eaters - although this was bought when my Bengal was ill, she's better now :)).

When I posted in this thread originally, I dismissed the thought of Purina being full of crap (basically). Well, I've now changed my stance since my tom is allergic to the cereal in it. If you want high protein food, go with a more expensive brand. It'll work out cheaper in the long run as you won't have to feed them as much.

Porta21 from zooplus is considerably cheaper than Applaws etc and has similar contents
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,864
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Is Porta21 complete food?
    Forum Member
    Were in the process of changing from James Well beloved to Symply, anyone tried it before?
  • miss_astridmiss_astrid Posts: 1,808
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Dave1979 wrote: »
    Porta21 from zooplus is considerably cheaper than Applaws etc and has similar contents
    Thanks for the recommendation - I've ordered from zooplus before, so might just give Porta21 a trial and see if the kitties like it. :)
    orangebird wrote: »
    Is Porta21 complete food?
    Having looked at the information available on zooplus, yes, it is. And no cereal content, which'll suit my tom nicely! :kitty:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks for the recommendation - I've ordered from zooplus before, so might just give Porta21 a trial and see if the kitties like it. :)

Having looked at the information available on zooplus, yes, it is. And no cereal content, which'll suit my tom nicely! :kitty:

Use the DPD delivery option. They send a text in the morning of delivery with a 1 hour window and option to reschedule to another day. Used the Yodel option once. Never again! Missed delivery, lost package, found package, missed delivery, pick up from depot but out on van by mistake etc etc
  • CRTHDCRTHD Posts: 7,602
    Forum Member
    Dave1979 wrote: »
    Use the DPD delivery option. They send a text in the morning of delivery with a 1 hour window and option to reschedule to another day. Used the Yodel option once. Never again! Missed delivery, lost package, found package, missed delivery, pick up from depot but out on van by mistake etc etc

Please bear in mind (and I have no reason to stand up for Yodel) that the bigger courier firms tend to operate on a franchise basis. So your good / bad experiences may not be reflected elsewhere. The quality of service is down to the local franchisee and the drivers / staff they recruit / train / retain.

Of course, if Yodel / DPD / UPS etc. (like any franchise owner) get a lot of complaints from a particular franchise area, they can (and do) terminate / re-advertise the local franchise to protect their brand.

Anyway, back to cat food.....
  • c00kiemonster72c00kiemonster72 Posts: 2,363
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think my 2 have now tried nearly every food possible that is sold by Zoo Plus. They are so fussy, they keep going off food and then I have to search for a new food. This is wet food by the way.

Currently they are on Felix doubly delicious, 1 pouch per day between them.

Dry food they have access to all the time, and this has been Orijen for the last 2 years, pricey, but my 2 love it.
  • LyceumLyceum Posts: 3,399
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think my 2 have now tried nearly every food possible that is sold by Zoo Plus. They are so fussy, they keep going off food and then I have to search for a new food. This is wet food by the way.

Currently they are on Felix doubly delicious, 1 pouch per day between them.

Dry food they have access to all the time, and this has been Orijen for the last 2 years, pricey, but my 2 love it.

Mind started doing that with wet food too. I got sick of wasting cash on wet food. So now I buy food. If they don't eat it they get no wet food for a few days (there's always dry down). A few days with no wet food and they're only to happy to eat any wet food I out down.

They won't eat certain types no matter what. Like food in jelly or tuna but if it's a food they've eaten before and I know they like they just go without wet for a few days. I can't afford to keep wasting food because cats are fussy sods.

Funny how you put up with it from cats, I did for a long time. But my dogs, it's always been a case of if they didn't eat what was out down they went without.