How much money have you spent on cigarettes in your life?

How much and do you regret it?

Comments

• BastardBeaverBastardBeaver Posts: 11,903
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You want the exact amount?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12
    Forum Member
    Just a rough guess
  • sodavlacsodavlac Posts: 10,607
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Dunno. The price hikes over the years that I smoked, the chopping and changing of brands, my varying consumption levels and it actually being a while since I last smoked and therefore being unable to remember what they cost last time I lit up then makes it difficult to answer.

I don't regret it.

Edit: I will make a very wild guess (based on £2 a day for 15 years + adding a few grand on top) - £15k.
  • jrmswfcjrmswfc Posts: 5,644
    Forum Member
    £0.00

I don't regret it.
  • QT 3.14QT 3.14 Posts: 1,771
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    How much and do you regret it?

After you.
  • VulpesVulpes Posts: 1,504
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm awful at maths so won't even try to guess but whatever the figure I do not regret it.
  • Richard46Richard46 Posts: 59,834
    Forum Member
    At a rough calculation over 40 plus years something north of £50,000 at current prices. But For the last six months zero. :)
  • James FrederickJames Frederick Posts: 53,184
    Forum Member
    Nothing at all
    Forum Member
    Considering how expensive **** are now, i'm surprised anyone still smokes......but I reckon it would cause the government a big problem if everyone stopped.
  • TerraCanisTerraCanis Posts: 14,099
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    About 4/6d, including the sweet and chocolate ones.
  • steveh31steveh31 Posts: 13,516
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    How do you know until you are dead?
  • egghead1egghead1 Posts: 4,782
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Can't recall the cost and I dont even smoke.
  • Miss XYZMiss XYZ Posts: 14,023
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    £0.00

I have gone to the shop and bought them for my parents when I was younger but it was their money, not mine. I've never smoked.
    Forum Member
    I've never smoked although sometimes when I'm drinking it feels like there is something missing
  • flowerpowaflowerpowa Posts: 24,386
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    zero........
  • MaxatoriaMaxatoria Posts: 17,980
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Was between 2-3 grand and 10 grand a week as an owner of a shop....how much i actually smoked...sweet F.A. so it was all about 5% profit at best normally as the duty/vat seems to take up most of it
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,246
    Forum Member
    None...
    Forum Member
    I work in a cash and carry, I've noticed less **** sales over last 5 years, perhaps more people are smoking illegal cigs, these are much worse
  • Toby LaRhoneToby LaRhone Posts: 12,916
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Nothing.
    Tried a puff when I was a nipper and thought my throat was on fire.
    I was hawking for several hours.
    Best stupid thing I ever did.
    Sod the money.
  • The WizardThe Wizard Posts: 11,071
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Considering how expensive **** are now, i'm surprised anyone still smokes......but I reckon it would cause the government a big problem if everyone stopped.

Not really that expensive in the grand scheme of things but it depends on how heavy you smoke. The price of a pack of **** is only that of a couple of pints. A packet will last me about a week so for me it's negligible.
  • IqoniqIqoniq Posts: 6,299
    Forum Member
    I work in a cash and carry, I've noticed less **** sales over last 5 years, perhaps more people are smoking illegal cigs, these are much worse
    I assume you're referring to counterfeit cigarettes. Jin Ling are pretty nasty cigarettes and aren't even an actual brand, but actually a counterfeit brand that was originally made for the Chinese market. Amongst other things these contain stuff like asbestos, bit of drywall, animal and human faeces (I kid you not) and all manner of other stuff.

If you're getting 'proper' cigarettes that are just simply imported then the risk is the same as any other cigarette. I'm fortunate as I have family that live in Spain, but come to the UK about once a month and they bring me over my 'baccy' for me (makes more sense for me as I can't really get a pull off normal cigarettes despite smoking Marlboro Light 100s until I was about 30). Considering I started smoking at 12 and I'm guessing it's cost me around £5 a day on average, I'm pushing around £45K in total.

Having said that, I've just started vaping so come Xmas I'm going to make a determined effort to quit purely for the health benefits, plus the missus has just quit and is nagging at me to do the same.
    Forum Member
    I suppose we all waste money on something, I've probably spent nearly £10 000 in macs over the last 20 years
  • neelianeelia Posts: 24,186
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Less than £10 I think.
  • mimicolemimicole Posts: 50,998
    Forum Member
    I've only ever bought a packet of 10 when I tried smoking in 2008.

I never finished the packet and stopped smoking very quickly. It wasn't for me.
  • neelianeelia Posts: 24,186
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I did try really hard as a teenager to inhale but I just couldn't get the hang of it - thank God.