Options

Why do rabbits act scared so much?

Simon RodgersSimon Rodgers Posts: 4,693
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Why is it when I get rabbits, look after them, feed them, etc they sometimes do not let me stroke them or they act scared? They can tell I'm not going to hurt them otherwise I would not have given them what they need. I've had rabbits happily eat out of my hand but still run off when I want to stroke them. Why do they act so stupid?

Comments

• Options
    hustedhusted Posts: 5,287
    Forum Member
    Instinct. They are natural prey and you cant really override their instinct to take cover.
  • Options
    NormandieNormandie Posts: 4,617
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    As Husted says: instinct.

And it can depend whether they're spayed / neutered or not, whether they were handled a lot as kits, whether they feel safe and secure in their environment and how confident they are - how much they trust - whoever is trying to stroke them.

As far as I can see, a hand raised above them to stroke them is most likely to cause them to run away (instinct tells them a predator is looming over them) whereas they'll often enjoy their noses being rubbed and up the face between the ears. If they weren't picked up much as kits being lifted from the ground tells them that a predator has got them so they struggle like mad as their feet leave the ground.

Because they are prey animals (unlike cats and dogs) they have different instincts and that shows itself in their interactions with us.

If you want to invest a small amount of money in understanding your rabbits and building a strong relationship with them - which will give them a better life - have a look at this book. You can probably order it from your library if you don't want to buy it.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Understanding-Rabbits-Habits-Tamsin-Stone/dp/0954350022/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1333175904&sr=8-1
  • Options
    RuthStarRuthStar Posts: 5,729
    Forum Member
    This is a great thread for me because;

I became a rabbit owner last July, I got him of a family friend who'd got him of her mother who'd got him of her neighbour who'd be abusing him (long winded i know), So the poor thing has been from piller to post in his short life.
    From what I've been told, He'd been left solitary mostly, from the ones who'd badly treated him, He'd been left to sleep on a concrete floor locked in a garage/left days at a time without food/water, and I suspect he was hit, because hes very jumpy when I stroke him sometimes.

I'm trying my best to give him a nice life, because the poor baby has been through so much, and Hes such an adorable boy, He does show me affection, He nuzzles up against my hand, He licks me on the hand, and He has licked my nose so many times, but theres still a level of nervous-ness there with him, I can't pick him up, I've tried so many times which does hurt a little, as when I was first asked if I wanted a rabbit, I had all these dreams of holding him in my arms and having him on my knee watching TV with me.

I might invest in that book above, because theres some things hes been doing lately, which I don't know how to handle as hes my first bunny, Yesterday he started Humping my arm..which amused us at the time, but I can't have him doing that all a time, and I've suggest neutering to my parents but they think its pointless as hes a lone bunny, He doesn't have a female bunny with him.

Oh, here he is, Hes called Jeff or Jeffery when he mis-behaves;
    2yn03o6.jpg
    Its not recent that photo, its from around November time, but He hasn't changed much since, Still the same cutey who brightens my life on a daily basis.
  • Options
    fordjfordj Posts: 514
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I have a Netherlands Dwarf rabbit, they're the smallest of the rabbit breeds, they only weigh around 2 pounds fully grown, they're also the most highly strung and easily spooked. As you say if you try and stroke him he'll run off but he does let you pet him when he's relaxing or sleeping. Rabbits usualy like a neck massage or head rub, in the wild rabbits do groom one another.

http://www.netherlandsdwarfrabbits.com
  • Options
    missyaliciamissyalicia Posts: 2,068
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    As they are naturally hunted, rabbits are very cautious. However, if you persevere your bunny will slowly learn to trust you. It can take a long time and alot of patience but it's worth peservering. They can be very loving and become very attached once they trust you. One of mine (who sadly died in January) used to jump on my back when I sat down and would head butt and nibble my ankles as sign of affection to let me know she was there. I dont always carry them as they do feel more comfortable on the ground. I wont lift them if they feel dont want me to. I give them lots of strokes though. I started by just sitting quietly on the floor and let them get used to me being around. Then I offered some parsley and slowly brought it closer and closer until they were hopping onto my knee to eat it. The effort is very much worth it.