Options

DVB Modulator? Is there one?

Thank you for taking the time to look at this thread.

I am interested to know if anybody else knows about a DVB/DTV modulator?
The reason I ask is that I have surveylance cameras around my property and I would like to view the cameras on my TV, but through the digital side of things so as I could record on my PVR etc. At the moment I have the AV signals modulated onto the analogue input, but as I use a macro type remote to control everything this makes things awkward, and I cannot record onto the PVR. I was wondering if it was possible to use a modulator to put the signal onto the digital side of things.
If any one knows or can help it would be greatly appreciated.

Once again thank you for looking at this thread, and thank you for any replies.

Russ

Comments

• Options
    Nigel GoodwinNigel Goodwin Posts: 58,597
    Forum Member
    Not as far as I know, and I imagine it would be VERY, VERY expensive to produce one. Just like NICAM sound it's designed to be cheap to manufacture receivers, but expensive to manufacture transmitters.

Cheapest method (by far) would be to get an analogue HDD recorder, probably a good idea would be a proper security one? - they aren't really very expensive these days.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 27
    Forum Member
    The trouble I have is that I have no additional space to put in an analogue HDD recorder. The current modulator is situated in the loft before the distribution amp, thus meaning that I can view the cameras from any TV in the house. As I have a DVB on each TV, I was wondering if there is any way of replication on the digital side?

Thank you for your reply Nigel
  • Options
    Nigel GoodwinNigel Goodwin Posts: 58,597
    Forum Member
    Rusty Nail wrote:
    The trouble I have is that I have no additional space to put in an analogue HDD recorder. The current modulator is situated in the loft before the distribution amp, thus meaning that I can view the cameras from any TV in the house. As I have a DVB on each TV, I was wondering if there is any way of replication on the digital side?

I've not even seen any Freeview signal generators yet?, where prices are likely to be in the thousands!.
  • Options
    GaryBGaryB Posts: 4,259
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Promax make one, available from Alban Electronics:

http://www.promax.es/ing/productos/fichaprod.asp?product=703

From memory I think it only works with an MPEG TS or SPI/API inputs. I don't think it has analogue inputs - and it ain't cheap!

http://www.albanelectronics.co.uk/
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 27
    Forum Member
    OMG - that looks expensive!
    I think I will have to knock that idea on the head for now, maybe one day in the future - but for now, thank you both for your help

Cheers