The Sims 3

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 48
    Forum Member
    I used to play the original Sims and just downloaded the Sims Free Play app which has really got me tempted to 'upgrade' to the game proper.

Any suggestions/recommendations on the 'must have' expansion packs?

And is it ok with Windows 7?

Yes it works well with Windows 7, what is more important is the specs of your computer, what graphics card you have etc. Compare the specs of the game: http://gb.thesims3.com/game/systemreq

The must have expansion packs for me are Ambitions, Generations, Late Night. I do enjoy showtime (but I don't use the social media side of it..) I have never liked the Pets expansion pack, mainly cos I hated it in Sims2!
  • LudwigVonDrakeLudwigVonDrake Posts: 12,836
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thanks for the reply. :) I think I should be ok graphics wise (AMD Radeon HD) and I've got some spare memory.

There's so many expansion packs its bewildering.. I think I've already ruled out Pets, even though I had it for Sims 1. I'll have to look into those other ones in a bit more detail. Certainly won't be getting that Supernatural one.. not my cup of tea, but hey each to their own and all that. At least they let you pick and chose.
    Forum Member
    Thanks for the reply. :) I think I should be ok graphics wise (AMD Radeon HD) and I've got some spare memory.

There's so many expansion packs its bewildering.. I think I've already ruled out Pets, even though I had it for Sims 1. I'll have to look into those other ones in a bit more detail. Certainly won't be getting that Supernatural one.. not my cup of tea, but hey each to their own and all that. At least they let you pick and chose.

I think I will pass on Supernatural as well, doesn't really appeal to me either. Showtime for me added good careers. I don't bother with a lot of the stuff packs. I once bought stuff from the Sims Store but it is really expensive!
  • tv_lover_06tv_lover_06 Posts: 6,278
    Forum Member
    im torn on supernatural - usually i buy every ep and most stuff packs but i like to play my game kinda realistically - not into like warewolves etc :o

the fairies look cute and ok witches i might play but i dont like the idea of zombies and warewolves much at all so i guess ill see closer to the time :)
  • Elphie_LivesElphie_Lives Posts: 4,455
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    See I'm different I like my game to be as make believe as possible. I love supernatural things so I can't wait. I'd like witches to be able to wear normal clothes though. In my head they don't wear black robes all the time.
    Forum Member
    Not into Witches, vampires or any of that stuff so I will give this EP a miss.. I tend to avoid the stuff packs in general, EA can be a cash cow at the best of times!! :eek:
  • Goldbear86Goldbear86 Posts: 1,141
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm another one that likes my games to be realistic. So I'm not sure if I'll bother with supernatural.
    Forum Member
    Did anyone install that new world - Lucky Palms?

http://www.simprograms.com/41773/the-sims-3-lucky-palms/

Looks nice but knowing EA is expensive so will pass for now... and stick to Sunset Valley! :cool:
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 595
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Played this for about 12hours last night 6pm - 6am. I got carried away, my sims phone kept ringing with oppotunities that were hard to resist.

Promoting a Resturant.
    Recording an advert.
    Going to China to learn music.
    Repairing and upgrading peoples appliances.
    And throwing about half a dozen parties.

When I looked out of the window I noticed the sky was blue :)
  • nobodyherenobodyhere Posts: 1,313
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Most of the addons are pretty fun and tailored to suit different tastes.. for example

Late night for city life
    Generations for family stuff
    Ambitions for professional career stuff
    Showtime for the holywierd effect
    World adventures for a bit of traveling (and kung fu!)
    Pets for pets (duh!)
    And so on

Depends what you really want out of the game.. I would also mention aside from the newest addons, the prices tend to drop pretty sharply, some retailers you can pick up most of the addons for 1/3 of what the likes of origin charge

What put me off the genre was generally the way it feels like ea cannibalized the franchise yet don't really support it well when theres problems with the content.

The stores kinda expensive too

I might give it another look whenever Seasons comes back, the game just has more appeal when you can force environmental changes to it (and looks pretty to boot)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well I took the plunge and bout the game today. Not overly enamoured at the guy at the till telling me it was "popular with kids" :rolleyes:

Anywho, thankfully, despite getting a warning message "your video card is not on our list" when I first launched the game, I'm happy to say its running fine. Only had a brief look so far, but I'm really impressed at how much detail you can customise. I can see this becoming very addictive, and this is only the 'vanilla' version.
  • CadivaCadiva Posts: 18,412
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Pets for Sims 3 is a really good EP. I couldn't stand the way pets were implemented in Sims 1 and 2 and hardly ever played with them. In TS3 I have a household with a horse, dog, two birds and a snake because it's far easier to look after them now you can directly control them.

In order of favourites for me would be:

Late Night (can't help it, love the vamps and the nightclubs)

Ambitions (brings in the new career types which you can see your Sim doing)

Pets (as I said above, you can now directly control the pets, makes them more fun)

Generations (interactions for kids and elderly plus some more career options, helps to expand and make the sims lives more interesting)

Showtime (haven't really explored this much but I like the new careers and venues)

World Adventures (some great game play and new building options)

I must qualify that although WA is at the bottom, that's only because once you've done all the quests and explored all the tombs, there's nothing else to do out there but the changes to game play it introduced are excellent.
  • Jason100Jason100 Posts: 17,222
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I finally decided to try the Nrass Master Controller this week It's bloody amazing!

Using the Master Controller, all of my sims are no longer celebrities though every now and again one will suddenly become one. Is there a way i can "fire" any paparazzi hanging around? I notice there's paparazzi hanging around even though none of my sims are celebrities.

I do have story progression on so maybe they're still becoming celebrities through story progression?
  • November_RainNovember_Rain Posts: 9,145
    Forum Member
    Jason100 wrote: »
    I finally decided to try the Nrass Master Controller this week It's bloody amazing!

Using the Master Controller, all of my sims are no longer celebrities though every now and again one will suddenly become one. Is there a way i can "fire" any paparazzi hanging around? I notice there's paparazzi hanging around even though none of my sims are celebrities.

I do have story progression on so maybe they're still becoming celebrities through story progression?

I gave that a bash the other night, it seems interesting. :)

Have you tried the Dexter the Bear and the Weapons System mods? They're hilarious. :D
  • Jason100Jason100 Posts: 17,222
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I looked at the demographics of my Sunset Valley last night through the master controller and there's 113 residents, 32 unelployed including teens and 85 working sims. Looks like Sunset Valley is doing better than the UK! lol

It's quite interesting to see where sims are during the day with this as no one in my game seems to be home during the day.
  • MustabusterMustabuster Posts: 5,975
    Forum Member
    Hi,

I'm in a similar situation to Ludwig in that I now fancy the full Sims 3 version after trying the freeplay version on Android.

Newbie question here but how does the game handle the passing of time? When you save a game, does it pause time? Is game time a reflection of real time? If I was to go away for a few weeks would I come back to find all my sims dead due to neglect?
    Thanks
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hi,

I'm in a similar situation to Ludwig in that I now fancy the full Sims 3 version after trying the freeplay version on Android.

Newbie question here but how does the game handle the passing of time? When you save a game, does it pause time? Is game time a reflection of real time? If I was to go away for a few weeks would I come back to find all my sims dead due to neglect?
    Thanks

The game only runs when you're playing it so nothing happens if it's not loaded and running :)
  • MustabusterMustabuster Posts: 5,975
    Forum Member
    That's great, thanks.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Succumbed to temptation (aided by a twofer at Game) and got Fast Lane and Outdoor living. Have to be honest, I was surprised at how little you actually get, I'm glad I didn't pay full whack.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Succumbed to temptation (aided by a twofer at Game) and got Fast Lane and Outdoor living. Have to be honest, I was surprised at how little you actually get, I'm glad I didn't pay full whack.

They're only Stuff Packs, so it's only items, usually around 40 new objects, hairstyles and clothes.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Cadiva wrote: »
    They're only Stuff Packs, so it's only items, usually around 40 new objects, hairstyles and clothes.

Sure, but I was thinking there was going to be just a little bit more. Not the end of the Earth though! Lol

Flipside is, it's making me consider the other packs.. Guess that's all part of EA's cunning plan. ;)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sure, but I was thinking there was going to be just a little bit more. Not the end of the Earth though! Lol

Flipside is, it's making me consider the other packs.. Guess that's all part of EA's cunning plan. ;)

Ahh I see what you mean. Most of the Stuff Packs are allied with an equivalent EP so you get "extras" which fit in with that. I've never paid more than a tenner for one as they used to always be on offer on (old) Game's website for around the £7 mark which I don't think is a bad price.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 595
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Looks like the Season Expansion is going to be Released in November according to Thier Facebook page.
  • tv_lover_06tv_lover_06 Posts: 6,278
    Forum Member
    finally!!!! lol,im so excited - i loved seasons in sims 2 and it added an awful lot to the game play :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,620
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Looks like the Season Expansion is going to be Released in November according to Thier Facebook page.

Looks pretty good, I watched the Live EA Showcase conference last night where it was announced.