Options

Jack's saluting

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 247
Forum Member
Will someone please inform the BBC that British servicemen do not give hand salutes bareheaded?

I love the Captain and all his works, but it makes it less believeable when he does something that no british officer, which is his self understanding, hence his hanging onto the rank (the war's been over for 63 years and he still wears his uniform), would ever do.

For that matter, neither do american soldiers. Which he has never been.

I confess that there is no Captain save Jack Harkness and that John Barrowman is his Avatar.

Comments

• Options
    pablopicassopablopicasso Posts: 32,042
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    carsten1 wrote: »
    Will someone please inform the BBC that British servicemen do not give hand salutes bareheaded?

I love the Captain and all his works, but it makes it less believeable when he does something that no british officer, which is his self understanding, hence his hanging onto the rank (the war's been over for 63 years and he still wears his uniform), would ever do.

For that matter, neither do american soldiers. Which he has never been.

I confess that there is no Captain save Jack Harkness and that John Barrowman is his Avatar.

Why don't you? :p:p
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,991
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    But doesn't he just give salutes to the Doctor???? He isn't exactly a military leader....despite him unkowingly forming an army:rolleyes::D....so does it matter if he does where a hat or not when saluting his friends???? This is a genuine question BTW....because I didn't know wearing a hat was important.....oh and maybe in the 51st century the custom of saluting with a hat is no more a requirement.....
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 24
    Forum Member
    What about Martha's salute at the end of Journey's End?
  • Options
    ::Adam::::Adam:: Posts: 7,223
    Forum Member
    Does it really matter?
  • Options
    tombalandtombaland Posts: 1,189
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    and the prize for the most pointless and inane thread of the week goes toooo........drum roll

this one
  • Options
    Forum Member
    What about Martha's salute at the end of Journey's End?

She is not a career soldier. She wouldn't care, and she was just doing it out of friendliness and/or playfulness.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ::Adam:: wrote: »
    Does it really matter?

The world will continue to rotate, cows will continue to give milk, and chooks will still lay eggs. But the show should try to be as realistic as possible within the parameters of having characters who regularly die even if they haven't strictly speaking been born yet, and who fly through time and space in a blue police box.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    tombaland wrote: »
    and the prize for the most pointless and inane thread of the week goes toooo........drum roll

this one

I beg to differ. That one would be "Is Donna the Master".
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,018
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Fair point - that being said military personnel don't salute civilians either.

Outside of the military context it's nothing but a gesture of mutual respect, in which case it doesn't really matter if they're wearing hats or not.
  • Options
    codename_47codename_47 Posts: 9,683
    Forum Member
    Whats weird is the Doctor ranted about how he hated salutes to UNIT, but its ok when Jack does it ;) (and he even does a sort of pathetic two fingered salute back!! No not THAT kind :D )

Make your mind up doctor
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Fair point - that being said military personnel don't salute civilians either.

Outside of the military context it's nothing but a gesture of mutual respect, in which case it doesn't really matter if they're wearing hats or not.

Mr. Oneill, you are correct. I was thinking that the Doctor might get saluted in the same way that, depending on the country, a president or a monarch in civilian clothing might be saluted. Saviour of the Universe multiple times and all that. And the Doctor is, strictly speaking, still a member of UNIT. I'm not sure if Martha is strictly speaking a civilian or not, but save for presidents and kings, it's the uniform that gets saluted, not it's wearer. Black marks all around.

I'm sure that you know that soldiers who are soldiers because they like being soldiers don't like to see someone who hasn't earned it (worn a uniform) hand saluting. I've never worn one, they not needing autistic hunchbacks, but I worked on a military base for years. I've seen unpleasantnesses because civilians thought they, let us give them the benefit of the doubt, were showing respect.

• Options
    Forum Member
    Why don't you? :p:p
    Pablo, just between us, I was hoping that the writers read these things and would take note. I know that they are usually contractually forbidden from reading these boards so that none of us can say "THEY STOLE MY IDEA. I WANT ROYALTIES.", but married people are contractually forbidden to commit adultery and it happens all the time.;)
  • Options
    amos_brearleyamos_brearley Posts: 8,496
    Forum Member
    Perhaps it's a Time Agent thing?