After Rewatching Series 3...Martha was actually really good!!

Comments

• Adam KelleherAdam Kelleher Posts: 1,488
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Agreed. Though I got told off before for saying she was beautiful. ;):)

Yeah, by me I think! ;):) Still don't see it myself!
  • DavetheScotDavetheScot Posts: 16,623
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Agreed. Though I got told off before for saying she was beautiful. ;):)

Well, she is :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    While I agree about the family I do think her brother might have played much better if the actor had been available for the final two episodes of the season. From what I remember it was meant to be him, not Thomas Milligan, who met Martha after her year of walking the earth. That would have added a lot to his character.

That would make sense. I never understood why they bothered to have him escaping from the Master's clutches when the rest of his family were captured, and yet nothing was then done with him.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Heh, is it bad that I snickered at a typo that referred to the Last of the Time Lords as the 'least episode'? Seems accurate to me... :D

But yes, brother added pretty much zip to the story as-was. Though I'd also say Tish was right up there as well, even if only because of her seeming to be too dumb to live with regards her career choices...

Tish added good looks to the story ;)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,114
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That would make sense. I never understood why they bothered to have him escaping from the Master's clutches when the rest of his family were captured, and yet nothing was then done with him.

More to the point HOW did he escape and stay hidden? There's only so many times that whole 'Look, the Goodyear Blimp!' trick is going to work, even on Toclafane :D
  • David WaineDavid Waine Posts: 3,413
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I reckon Martha was the weakest of the 'regular' companions, but that makes her the least of a pretty exceptional bunch. Billie Piper was a tough act to follow and Catherine Tate and Karen Gillan both have much greater range and depth. Overall, though, Freema did a good job and her stint on the programme is the best thing I have seen her do. I wasn't too impressed with her as Tattycoram in 'Little Dorrit' (she looked like she was in the wrong century). She does, however, have a distinction that she shares with Karen Gillan. Both have played two entirely separate characters in Dr. Who.
  • Muttley76Muttley76 Posts: 97,888
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    More to the point HOW did he escape and stay hidden?

Given how little his presence registered when he was on screen, it was probably fairly easy...:p
  • Joy DeanJoy Dean Posts: 21,346
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes, I always liked her, and I prefer her to Rose and to Amy :)
    Tastes in characters differ :)
  • garbage456garbage456 Posts: 8,225
    Forum Member
    episode 1, the doctor kisses her and she says, you call that nothing.

Probably the worst part in the whole series and that was episode 1,so not off to the best start if you ask me.

I am sorry she was awful.
  • KezMKezM Posts: 1,397
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've probably said it loads of times but Martha is still my favourite New Who campanion. I thought she rocked from Smith and Jones onwards. When I rewatch an episode of series three I still think she was is just as good as I did watching the first time. I don't see her acting as wooden - the bit where she leaves the Doctor and says she's staying with her family and realises she isn't really second best is still possibly my favourite new Who scene. I just wish she'd got a second series because I think the character could have come even more into her own then.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 550
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Martha was my favourite companion up until Series 5, when Amy took over. I have to admit that I bawled when she left at the end of Series 3, and also when she took her leave from Torchwood.

I see what some people mean about Freema's performance sometimes, but I far prefered Martha as a character to Rose. She was strong and independent, and could think on her feet, unlike Rose who seemed to fall apart every time the Doctor wasn't around. I could never imagine Rose leaving the Doctor and walking the Earth spreading the message of the Doctor.

The only part that didnt really ring true was Martha's (almost immediate) unrequited love for the Doctor. It kept the spectre of Rose going for far too long, and I am so glad that finally that aspect of the show has been left behind.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    JG600 wrote: »
    Martha was my favourite companion up until Series 5, when Amy took over. I have to admit that I bawled when she left at the end of Series 3, and also when she took her leave from Torchwood.

I see what some people mean about Freema's performance sometimes, but I far prefered Martha as a character to Rose. She was strong and independent, and could think on her feet, unlike Rose who seemed to fall apart every time the Doctor wasn't around. I could never imagine Rose leaving the Doctor and walking the Earth spreading the message of the Doctor.

The only part that didnt really ring true was Martha's (almost immediate) unrequited love for the Doctor. It kept the spectre of Rose going for far too long, and I am so glad that finally that aspect of the show has been left behind.

To borrow a line from TVTropes (don't visit the web site, it's a maze of twisty turny things that you'll enjoy reading so much you'll never escape): "The Ace Test for the evaluation of the worthiness of later Companions. Basically, any Companion is judged according to the question "Can you see this person clobbering a Dalek with a baseball bat?" If so, the Companion is acceptable and may stay; if not, exterminate her/him/it immediately. "

Rose no, I somehow can't see her doing that. Martha: yes, easily. Donna: ummm... yeah, she walloped a Sontaran with a mallet, Dalek with a baseball bat no problem. Amy: yes, albeit probably not too happy with the idea and screaming but yes.
  • Granny McSmithGranny McSmith Posts: 19,622
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    To borrow a line from TVTropes (don't visit the web site, it's a maze of twisty turny things that you'll enjoy reading so much you'll never escape): "The Ace Test for the evaluation of the worthiness of later Companions. Basically, any Companion is judged according to the question "Can you see this person clobbering a Dalek with a baseball bat?" If so, the Companion is acceptable and may stay; if not, exterminate her/him/it immediately. "

Rose no, I somehow can't see her doing that. Martha: yes, easily. Donna: ummm... yeah, she walloped a Sontaran with a mallet, Dalek with a baseball bat no problem. Amy: yes, albeit probably not too happy with the idea and screaming but yes.

Does it not count if you shoot a Dalek's head off with an anti-Dalek gun? (The Stolen Earth)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Does it not count if you shoot a Dalek's head off with an anti-Dalek gun? (The Stolen Earth)

From behind... :D I dunno, just can't see her swinging at one with a bat somehow.
  • M@nterikM@nterik Posts: 6,982
    Forum Member
    Scoobyh1 wrote: »
    I decided to watched Doctor Who again Series 1 onwards and when i came to Series 3...my reaction was...oh no Martha.

But after rewatching it on dvd, she is so much better than i first thought.

Maybe it was because i was a big fan of Rose and at the time, i probably found it hard to accept Martha.

But now i can say that i really love Martha now.

Martha was utterly awful. Not helped by the fact Planka Agyeman is one of the worst actresses to appear in the show.

Martha started off as a professional, middle class, girl with her own mind. Within 15 minutes and she had the obligatory kiss off the Doctor her character degenerates to a lovesick puppy. Marfa wuvs the Doctor. I can appreciate that a character so bland and banal may appeal to some to me I prefer some depth of character and, well, some characterisation rather than having the companion there to gurn like a lovesick puppy.
    Forum Member
    Tish added good looks to the story ;)

The lady who plays Tish should have got the gig as Martha. She was, and still is, a far better actress than Plankma.

Sadly it looks like her big chance in America, Undercover, has just tanked. She was also in that awful Bonekickers with Julie Graham chewing the scenery.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    M@nterik wrote: »
    The lady who plays Tish should have got the gig as Martha. She was, and still is, a far better actress than Plankma.

Sadly it looks like her big chance in America, Undercover, has just tanked. She was also in that awful Bonekickers with Julie Graham chewing the scenery.

Was she? I don't remember her. Not exactly charismatic.

(Bonekickers was indeed disappointingly awful).
    Forum Member
    [/B]

Was she? I don't remember her. Not exactly charismatic.

(Bonekickers was indeed disappointingly awful).

It was utterly awful and I had such high hopes for it given the team behind it.

She was one of the team of 4, 5 if you count Michael Moloneys character but she was very much in the background and really served little purpose apart from looking rather splendid.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    M@nterik wrote: »
    It was utterly awful and I had such high hopes for it given the team behind it.

She was one of the team of 4, 5 if you count Michael Moloneys character but she was very much in the background and really served little purpose apart from looking rather splendid.

I too had high hopes for it. A shame because it sounded as if it would be just my cuppa. Maybe I have blotted all memory of it from my brain, and that's why I can't remember Tish. :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 151
    Forum Member
    Don't be mean about Martha! I love her most in "The Doctors Daughter" though, with the Hath. :(
  • KnowAll27KnowAll27 Posts: 2,639
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I loved Martha and thought she was great. Watching back though, I think the main problem I see is that Freema and David don't seem to have the same chemistry as David had with either Billie or Catherine. Freema's performances were better against the one-off characters, or in her scenes with Johns Barrowman and Simm and Tom Ellis

I also thought the characterisation of Martha and the unrequited love storyline didn't do her any favours; her character seemed to be pining / in awe of the Doctor a lot of the time - again a reason why I thought her scenes with other characters were better those with the Doctor as she was more of an 'equal' to them.

I prefer the characterisation she got in Torchwood, and liked the hints we saw of that Martha when she returned in Series 4 - more confident and self-assured. If David had stayed on it would have been nice to see 'that' Martha pop up again from time to time as his 'Modern Day Earth' link that he meets up with when he visits.

On another note - I wonder how things would have been if Donna had been series 3 and Martha series 4? Part of the problem (I think) with Martha was that in series 3 she was pining for the Doctor but he was raw from losing Rose and so completely oblivious. However, if he'd been with Donna first and had 'gotten over' Rose perhaps he would have noticed Martha more, and could have gently let her down rather than obliviously stringing her along for most of the series?
  • dvirgodvirgo Posts: 400
    Forum Member
    I always felt freema was the bravest of actresses and I know from an inside source that the production team knew that the next companion was going to be the object hate after the departure of Billie Piper. It would have been difficult choosing a more well-know actress directly after rose. Its better taking a punt on someone practically unknown which gives the writers time to work out how to follow the success of the previous series. (a bit like a new Album)

IMHO Martha is the best companion of Nu-who. Her character seemed to grow up through her tender, from a student doctor to working for Unit. In many ways she reminded me of Sarah-Jane who's own journey led her to become a force of her own. Something that I could see happening to Martha especially after her appearances in Torchwood. I get the feeling that most fans of Nu-who who dislike Martha because of the romantic interest in the doctor. I think this was a clever bit writers manipulation, it made everyone stick with the series after a big chunk of its success had gone and provided an object of hate in the heart of the Tardis that wasn't an enemy but another woman.

There would be no reason why RTD couldn't have had a new companion characterized like Donna directly after Rose.accept to be provoactive. (well we're talking about it now still)

Her acting got better but she was pretty new, in fact I liked the fact that she was. not Chris Evans's wife or a comedy actress with three series's of catch-phrase comedy under her belt.

Lastly I loved the fact that she was the first black companion. Having been a fan of Doctor Who from way back when, it was nice watching the show I loved cast a main character who looks like me. Something that RTD did throughout his reign for which I'm very grateful.Controversially It may also be one of the obsticles that character and actress would face. ( sound of a can of worms being opened) But thats a whole other argument.
  • KapellmeisterKapellmeister Posts: 41,322
    Forum Member
    I wouldn't call Freeman's Martha 'really good' but she was a significant improvement on Piper's Rose!
    Forum Member
    dvirgo wrote: »
    Lastly I loved the fact that she was the first black companion.

She wasn't.

Mickey was.
    Forum Member
    I wouldn't call Freeman's Martha 'really good' but she was a significant improvement on Piper's Rose!

I liked Rose in the first season and her journey should really have ended at the same time as Eccles because after she had done the stuff with her Father and saved the universe where else was there for the character to go ? In season two she became rather unlikeable and really trod water.

Personally I found Donna the most interesting of the 3 RTD female companions. The one thing that did suprise me was, at times, Tate could really act. For me "Turn Left" takes some beating in that season.