Options

"are you open Easter sunday?"

1235»

Comments

• Options
    AnonimusAnonimus Posts: 5,670
    Forum Member
    Anonimus wrote: »
    There's very little chance of getting a straight forward answer (I don't want the details like the laws or how big a shop has to be and hotels/restaruants/bars) to this question and we have 365/6 (if there's a leap year) days a year, online retailers, the ability to do our shopping online, with some shops open until ten o'clock but here's the question (take note of the bold italics and the bold, underlined italic text):-
    Is it really, absolutely neccesarry for shops to be open 247-365/6 days a year and will the big retailers suddenly go bust if they shut for just five days a year?

^^^^^^
    I notice that nobody's given me a straight forward yes or no to the questions yet
  • Options
    MikeJWMikeJW Posts: 3,948
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ^^^^^^
    I notice that nobody's given me a straight forward yes or no to the questions yet
    Okay, no and no. Although as I said previously, no-one is suggesting otherwise anyway.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,535
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Because (as Charles Dickens catalogued) they get no other days off for the rest of the year...

And who says all workers get a day off anyway? The only restriction is on trading to the public. The staff in my local Aldi start work at 7am despite it opening at 8am, and the shift that sees it close at 10pm continue working until 11pm. And they really do start work at 7am and finish at 11pm, those are not the times the arrive or go home. They're also inside working for several hours on Sunday after 5pm, which is when they merely close to the public.

Anyone who thinks Sunday and public holiday trading laws somehow protect workers are gormless. They merely restrict the hours of the shoppers, not the workers! People need to understand these laws are purely there to protect small local shops from large supermarkets and retailers. But life in the UK has moved on since these laws were introduced, and for many people Easter is a time to go to shops, cinemas, DIY shops and other retailers. And they only apply to England, not Scotland or Northern Ireland. Can any of the people predicting the end of the world in England show where this has happened in Scotland, or produce figures showing what percentage of B&Q's Sunday shoppers are hypocritical Presbyterian church-goers?

It's not uncommon to work 14 days in a row or more in retail, esp if people are sick or if you're under staffed.
  • Options
    sheffswfcsheffswfc Posts: 32
    Forum Member
    It's got pretty sad that all people can think about doing these days is, in one way or another, shopping. If people aren't buying junk you don't need at a shopping centre, they're beating each other to death for a cheapo tv, and if I aint that, it's filling the need to go to supermarkets every day of the week.
    Yes go shopping, but for gods sake there are enough 24/6 shops about and convenience stores on every street corner to fill your little tummy for more than one day at a time.

Is this all people can think to do with their miserable lives?
  • Options
    TrollHunterTrollHunter Posts: 12,496
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I love how asking a simple question, "Are you open on Easter Sunday?" has somehow been translated into, "How DARE you not open on Easter Sunday. I DESERVE to be able to shop when I want regardless of the time or the day"

Hypnodisc was merely mentioning that it was an entirely justifiable question and proceeded to mention their shopping habits.

Some folk on DS really are quite odd. How else are you supposed to find out whether a store is open or not (assuming you're already in the store rather than being on your computer or internet-enabled phone). It's a question - it's not a demand that the store opens specifically for you!!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ^^^^^^

Possibly because it's such a poorly worded question with unnecessary emboldening and underlining?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    welwynrose wrote: »
    Unless they've been living under a rock or are new to the UK surely they would know from last year & the year before etc that most shops are shut Easter Sunday
    So most, not all. Ergo if you're not sure, you'd ask rather than assume? Seems a fairly normal course of action to me.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,535
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Unless they've been living under a rock or are new to the UK surely they would know from last year & the year before etc that most shops are shut Easter Sunday

Not if you're a coffee shop lol Normal opening hours.
  • Options
    Doctor_WibbleDoctor_Wibble Posts: 26,580
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think the reaction to the question "are you open Easter sunday?" should be one of a blank stare, followed by a full rant regarding the lack of the word "on", and the consequential grammatical discromulatory imbalance.

And possibly followed by a gesture indicating the existence of any big signs that might already provide the answer to what one might reasonably presume to be the question. Any personal or medically-inadvisable suggestions would be a matter of choice for the employee concerned, subject to their code of conduct, disciplinary procedure, and whether or not they think they can get away with it.

e2a: if there aren't any signs, swear at your boss. And go home and wait for your P45...
  • Options
    rockerchickrockerchick Posts: 9,255
    Forum Member
    I live on my own and I goto the shops everyday. I just get what I need when I need it. Much easier that way and I dont think it's necessary I do weekly shopping.
  • Options
    rockerchickrockerchick Posts: 9,255
    Forum Member

No not really. All the shops were open last sunday here in manchester. Perk of city centre living I guess.
  • Options
    Slarti BartfastSlarti Bartfast Posts: 6,607
    Forum Member
    sheffswfc wrote: »
    It's got pretty sad that all people can think about doing these days is, in one way or another, shopping. If people aren't buying junk you don't need at a shopping centre, they're beating each other to death for a cheapo tv, and if I aint that, it's filling the need to go to supermarkets every day of the week.
    Yes go shopping, but for gods sake there are enough 24/6 shops about and convenience stores on every street corner to fill your little tummy for more than one day at a time.

And this is how people react if you ask if a shop is open over Easter. I predict within the next 10 years someone will pull a gun and shoot someone for asking an Easter related shopping question, such is the wrath it now generates. :D
  • Options
    Random42Random42 Posts: 2,290
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    And this is how people react if you ask if a shop is open over Easter. I predict within the next 10 years someone will pull a gun and shoot someone for asking an Easter related shopping question, such is the wrath it now generates. :D

Yep. Even thinking about asking the question will be deemed a thought crime.

Anyone who dares to ask That Which Must Not Be Asked will be punished by being chained up outside ASDA for 3 weeks, with a sign around the neck saying; I don't deserve to live !

Of course there will be some people who may not see the sign properly and will ask members of staff why a person is chained up outside, which will inevitably result in swift punishment. Because, as we've learned, we're not to ask questions.

Tesco will become a dictatorship. Morrison's will build electrified fences around all it's outlets. It's the future, people.
  • Options
    exlordlucanexlordlucan Posts: 35,375
    Forum Member
    sheffswfc wrote: »

Yup, one such person even created a thread and all because he couldn't buy a bar of chocolate one Sunday night.
  • Options
    jeffiner1892jeffiner1892 Posts: 14,326
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No not really. All the shops were open last sunday here in manchester. Perk of city centre living I guess.

Even the big shops? Even though that's against Sunday trading laws?
  • Options
    tealadytealady Posts: 26,266
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yup, one such person even created a thread and all because he couldn't buy a bar of chocolate one Sunday night.
    Sounds like a rufusrain thread ! "What do you think of supermarkets...?"