Five Live Breakfast

LanarkianLanarkian Posts: 7,565
Forum Member
Shelagh Fogarty has just tweeted that she will be leaving the show to take over the lunchtime show in the spring. A breakup of a partnership that has lasted seven years.

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 41
    Forum Member
    I'm so happy as I find GL hugely irritating but then again I love the NC SF partnership.... torn!
  • SmidsterSmidster Posts: 178
    Forum Member
    Hopefully a move toward a more serious format for the 12-2 slot.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,692
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sad news.

Big shoes to fill, I'd say (Shelagh's not Gabby's!)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 41
    Forum Member
    One thing is for sure. The words "you know" will finally be expunged from mid-mornings... ya know.
  • LostFoolLostFool Posts: 90,649
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    IanFergus wrote: »
    Shelagh Fogarty has just tweeted that she will be leaving the show to take over the lunchtime show in the spring. A breakup of a partnership that has lasted seven years.

Just woken up to the news. This is good for the lunchtime show. Who can they get to replace Foggy?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 831
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    One thing is for sure. The words "you know" will finally be expunged from mid-mornings... ya know.

and don't forget the giggling.

The featherweight Logan will be no loss. I just hope that George Riley goes with her, preferably to Radio Batley where he can spend all day giving out rugby league news.

It will be interesting to see how Fogarty manages PMQ and the MPs panel. We know she wouldn't be allowed back home to Liverpool if she said anything remotely right of centre.
  • CXC3000CXC3000 Posts: 10,258
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I'd add 'presumably' to that..
  • eugenespeedeugenespeed Posts: 66,695
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    LostFool wrote: »
    Just woken up to the news. This is good for the lunchtime show. Who can they get to replace Foggy?

Zach De La Rocha perhaps?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 37
    Forum Member
    Excellent news for lunchtime listeners. A presenter (Mrs Logan) who only spends 50% of her time fronting her own show is never going put her stamp on it. The content has been dreadful recently, so lightweight, at times I thought I was listening to the dreaded Bacon.

SF's shoes will be tough to fill. Given this Controller's penchant for 'Star' presenters I wouldn't be surprised to find Fern Cotton sitting next to Mr Campbell. Though if that (or the equivalent) happens I shall row my boat out to the middle of the North Sea and sink it.
  • Mapperley RidgeMapperley Ridge Posts: 9,922
    Forum Member
    Not read the twets, but I wonder if this is anything to do with Shelagh not wanting to head north as well as Gabby leaving? After all, there's no reason why a show based around politics shouldn't be broadcast from closer to Westminster ie : the refurbished Broadcasting House.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,064
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Smidster wrote: »
    Hopefully a move toward a more serious format for the 12-2 slot.

Let's hope so! The station has been dragged down by constant trivial and banal output under it's present, hopeless, controller.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 56
    Forum Member
    Logan is poor...really poor...suprisingly poor. Anyone else notice how much you can hear her typing away when someone down the line is answering a question? She's not a journalist and it screams at you that she is not in control of her brief.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    http://www.guardian.co.uk/media/2010/dec/14/shelagh-fogarty-radio-5

Whoever gets the job it had better be a professional journalist and broadcaster.

In terms of internal replacements, Maybe Rachel Burden deserves a promotion from the weekend breakfast show? Though my dream recruit would be to see the return of Jane Garvey, a great journalist and broadcaster and a strong enough personality to balance Nicky.
  • dpbdpb Posts: 12,031
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    To throw a curveball in here - I'm going to suggest Petrie Hosken from LBC - like LostFool's suggestion of Jane Garvey she's got a strong personality to balance Nicky.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 56
    Forum Member

Whoever gets the job it had better be a professional journalist and broadcaster.

In terms of internal replacements, Maybe Rachel Burden deserves a promotion from the weekend breakfast show? Though my dream recruit would be to see the return of Jane Garvey, a great journalist and broadcaster and a strong enough personality to balance Nicky.

Garvey is obviously more than qualified to do it but it would be a retrograde step for her in some ways. She's moved on from 5Live now and has established herself on Radio 4. Plus, didn't she leave 5Live to spend more time with her family - hardly something she could do if she took up the morning slot. One other thing regarding Garvey would be that there would be an issue as to who is the senior partner - her or Campbell? Would Garvey do the 6:30 to 7am bit on her own, signalling that Campbell is indeed the senior partner?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    spud135 wrote: »
    Garvey is obviously more than qualified to do it but it would be a retrograde step for her in some ways. She's moved on from 5Live now and has established herself on Radio 4. Plus, didn't she leave 5Live to spend more time with her family - hardly something she could do if she took up the morning slot. One other thing regarding Garvey would be that there would be an issue as to who is the senior partner - her or Campbell? Would Garvey do the 6:30 to 7am bit on her own, signalling that Campbell is indeed the senior partner?

Yes, all fair points. I can't see Jane wanting to do it either - she's been there, seen it and done it (she was the very first voice heard on R5L). I'd still love to see it though!

Either that or move Aasmah to breakfast and reunite Peter and Jane as the Dream Team on Drive. Peter is sure to retire on scale back on his workload in the next few years so Jane could carry on after he has gone.
  • CXC3000CXC3000 Posts: 10,258
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

In terms of internal replacements, Maybe Rachel Burden deserves a promotion from the weekend breakfast show?

No, please; God, no !! :eek:

She's best suited to where she is (Saturday and Sunday mornings when most of the nation's asleep).
  • slimjimslimjim Posts: 718
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Agree that Rachel Burden is a good fit for the breakfast show. Jane Garvey a bit too dreary and depressing for that time of day.
  • sjoscinevsjoscinev Posts: 776
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    CXC3000 wrote: »
    No, please; God, no !! :eek:

She's best suited to where she is (Saturday and Sunday mornings when most of the nation's asleep).

I agree, when I heard Shelagh announce it this morning my first (selfish I know) thought was "please not Rachel Burden".
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 831
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Good to see that this has provoked a lot of comments on the 5live blog that the powers-that-be thought were confined to only a handful of listeners.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    sjoscinev wrote: »
    I agree, when I heard Shelagh announce it this morning my first (selfish I know) thought was "please not Rachel Burden".

I think she has the sexiest voice on radio. She's great to wake up to at the weekend.
  • m06een00m06een00 Posts: 2,496
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hopefully Anita Arnand will make a return. Failing that Rachel Burden would be a good choice for pairing with Nicky Campbell.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 250
    Forum Member
    Doubt Jane Garvey would be back - she left 5 Live for family reasons around the time of her separation from Adrian Chiles, and since he'd be presenting Daybreak at the same time probably wouldn't work.

I'd say it's most likely to be Rachel Burden, but only because Aasmah Mir is doing quite well with Peter Allen and there really isn't another female presenter ready to make the step up.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    At least nobody has been crazy enough to suggest that Derbyshire returns to Breakfast!
  • AlanOAlanO Posts: 3,773
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Perhaps they could remove Nicky Campbell and offer the breakfast slot to Ian Payne.

He seemed to do a good job when Nicky & Shelagh were on strike the other week - the programme sounded miles better than usual.