Options

Preferring Solo Living

_Gizmo__Gizmo_ Posts: 347
Forum Member
Hi

Am I weird for being 33 and much prefering to live alone?. In my younger years I always yearned for a girlfriend, yet was too shy / ugly? for anyone ever to show any interest.

Fast forward and since moving out of the family home, i've lived alone 8 years. Everyone around me seems to be pairing up / moving in, yet the idea of me doing the same scares the crap out of me.

Also, i really don't know where people find the time. After my work day i like nothing more than to come home and chill without having to make small talk to anyone. Should I choose to i'm usually able to find someone to go for a few drinks with after work, have a couple of hobbies so am never lonely.

Anyone else?

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 374
    Forum Member
    I am 37 and single, though I cant get five minutes peace, every time I live alone for a bit some lodger or other asks if they can stay for a bit - this one has been here for 5 years and she is a pest lol.
    I have dozens of good friends both male and female (my best mate is a girl) so I usually end up getting loads of cuddles etc and never really want for anything on an emotional level.
    I kind of miss sex a bit but if I got really desperate I could hit a nightclub and have a go at pulling a girl who is up for a shag though to be honest the last couple of times I have had it on a plate I have walked away as I really like being a bachelor boy - It is ace, do what you want when you want and see whoever you like whenever you like.
    My best mate sometimes texts me at like 2am saying Im sad can I come around and I always say yes love nip round, imagine trying that with a GF lol !!!
    Enjoy it mate and if you get totally lonely, trim up, tidy yourself and the house up and go get a girl.
  • Options
    AndrueAndrue Posts: 23,366
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm 46 and have been living on my own since I left my parents over twenty years ago. I love it. There's been the occasional short lived relationship but they never got beyond spending a week together on holiday. As the day goes on I think you'll find more people posting the same thing so - at least by DS GD standards - you are fairly normal :)

What I most like is being able to get home, shut the front door and lock the rest of the world out.
  • Options
    tghe-retfordtghe-retford Posts: 26,449
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Nothing wrong with it whatsoever. Aside from the odd month or two, I've been solo living since I was made homeless at 18, and that includes the two years when I had a girlfriend. It's wonderful to be able to come home after work and at the weekend and do your own thing.

To be frank, considering my negative experiences of online dating and the recent shocking and messy relationship breakdown that I have seen with a friend and his wife fuelling a dwindling interest in women*, I'd foresee the continuation of solo living. Unfortunately, there'll be a clash of ideology soon enough as I reach my 30th birthday with family wanting me to have children and my father wanting me to pass the family name on.

But you do what makes you happy, as long as it's legal and harms no-one else.

* - the correct term for someone who is disinterested in women and men is asexuality, not homosexuality.
  • Options
    GeordiePaulGeordiePaul Posts: 1,323
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Nothing unusual at all about it. My mate is like this, he is 52. He says that although he likes women in small doses (and he is pretty good at pulling women for his age), he can't tolerate them all of the time, likes his own space and freedom too much, I can see why.

I was single most of my life until about 30, when I met the current GF. Moved in with here quite quickly. It took me literally years to adjust, I found it very, very difficult at first, and that is despite her being very easy going generally, but being an only child, one who didn't really "do" relationships, and then moving into a small flat with my partner mean't I found it a real challenge.

Even now, if anything happened to the relationship, I wouldn't rush out to try and find a new partner, I am quite happy with my own company despite being a very sociable person. Everyone needs their own space at times.
  • Options
    quatroquatro Posts: 2,886
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Having been in relationships until I was 51 I have lived on my own since. And what a relief. Nobody to constantly explain to, have to talk to, but just be peaceful, a free spirit with no guilt.
    Sometimes I fantasise about being with someone as it can be lonely sometimes, but I know it will never work - not that I would attract anyone now anyway, and that's fine. I'm best on my own as I have to manage insomnia and stress, and it would take someone amazing to understand.

No thing wrong with being single, living on your own, being your own person, being free and actually being very honest. Relationships can be difficult, complicated and full of compromises and family dynamics. Not all of us find it easy or appealing. On the other hand if you meet someone who matches you, it will just flow and feel right.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,940
    Forum Member
    quatro wrote: »
    Having been in relationships until I was 51 I have lived on my own since. And what a relief. Nobody to constantly explain to, have to talk to, but just be peaceful, a free spirit with no guilt.

Much the same only up until I was 40.

Split from the missus then. Lived by myself ever since and loving it. Do now have a long term G/F but her circumstances were similar to mine so neither of us are in a hurry to move in together and it works well.
  • Options
    Aarghawasp!Aarghawasp! Posts: 6,205
    Forum Member
    quatro wrote: »
    Sometimes I fantasise about being with someone as it can be lonely sometimes, but I know it will never work - not that I would attract anyone now anyway, and that's fine. I'm best on my own as I have to manage insomnia and stress, and it would take someone amazing to understand.

No thing wrong with being single, living on your own, being your own person, being free and actually being very honest. Relationships can be difficult, complicated and full of compromises and family dynamics. Not all of us find it easy or appealing. On the other hand if you meet someone who matches you, it will just flow and feel right.

This. :)
  • Options
    TheTruth1983TheTruth1983 Posts: 13,462
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    At least you can afford it. I would love to live alone but I am 30 and cannot afford to move out of the family home. I am miserable.
  • Options
    ArtymagsArtymags Posts: 18,136
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yes I lived on my own all through my late twenties and thirties and I loved it too.
    I think the situation is different when you get older though and have retired perhaps. You won't have the stimulation of going out to work and colleagues to chat to. Parents will probably be dead and even friends might disappear and if your health and mobility aren't as good it must be quite scary and rather lonely.
    It is nice to have the company of someone who really cares about you and loves you and who you can rely on when you need it.
  • Options
    ShrikeShrike Posts: 16,608
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm late forties and there's just me and my cat - and she's very independant anyway:D I've got to that stage where I can't imagine sharing a place.
    I do worry about when I get old 'n decrepid, but you could end up alone even if you are married if your partner pre-deceases you.
  • Options
    toyotacitytoyotacity Posts: 762
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm 36 and live on my own, have done for 4 years, always said i'd never do it as I like being around people

I split up with my bf Sept 2009 and he moved out, it was a 1 bedroom place, so had no choice but to live on my own

I moved into a 2 bedroom place about 6 months after for a clean start, and loved it, before meeting my ex bf i'd always lived in houseshares

I would be nice to share a home with a partner, if and when one comes along and it gets to that stage, but at the moment, i'm quite happy on my own
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,432
    Forum Member
    Single works better for me - but I've done living together and marriage and know which best suits my antisocial self.

I have no idea whether I would still pine for something I hadn't tried if I'd never been there.
  • Options
    TheJasperCoTheJasperCo Posts: 140
    Forum Member
    I hate people in general, so will be quite happy living alone from next year when I graduate uni.
  • Options
    quatroquatro Posts: 2,886
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Artymags wrote: »
    I think the situation is different when you get older though and have retired perhaps. You won't have the stimulation of going out to work and colleagues to chat to. Parents will probably be dead and even friends might disappear and if your health and mobility aren't as good it must be quite scary and rather lonely.
    It is nice to have the company of someone who really cares about you and loves you and who you can rely on when you need it.

That is me, retired so not working, parents deceased, friends died/remarried and/or moved away/gone a bit strange. Insomnia dictates sometimes what I do or do not do - otherwise health ok, which is of prime importance, you're spot on there.
    But it's ok, really, we adapt and find a level which suits us. It's scary when I have flu or something awful, lonely sometimes but still would rather the peace of my own company to the variables of a relationship. I can shut the door and bathe in my own misery thus hurting no one else or beating myself up that I have let the other person down.

The whole point being that finding someone committed for the rest of your life to loving and caring for you and that you can 100% rely on is [as I have found from a great deal of experience and deep heartbreak], as rare to find as hens teeth, unfortunately. In any relationship there are no guarantees of anything [or that they can give you what you need at the time you need it].

The only person we can rely on is ourselves as I've also discovered - the hard way.
  • Options
    PinSarlaPinSarla Posts: 4,072
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Andrue wrote: »
    What I most like is being able to get home, shut the front door and lock the rest of the world out.

This is probably what I love the most.

I don't even feel lonely anymore as I can just stick a movie on and have it playing in the background, or stick some music on and just generally not give a flying f*ck about anything. I would hate to have to share with others, I didn't buy a big telly and an awesome sound system to only get to use it once in a while.

Plus, whatever I have after bills etc. is mine, to do with as I please. No parents or wife or girlfriend to question me after buying a few blu-rays or something that I probably don't really need. No kids either that you have no choice but to spend money on. I could live like this forever :)
  • Options
    Ethel_FredEthel_Fred Posts: 34,127
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Your fridge is your own, you can leave things lying around as you don't have to impress anyone - unless your mother is one to drop by unexpectedly (hint live a LONG way away)
  • Options
    LadyJoLadyJo Posts: 22
    Forum Member
    I've lived alone for about 2 years now and although it's quite lonely at times I do enjoy it.
  • Options
    Billy_ValueBilly_Value Posts: 22,920
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    LadyJo wrote: »
    I've lived alone for about 2 years now and although it's quite lonely at times I do enjoy it.

are you not married?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,391
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Did you ever have a girlfriend?
  • Options
    LadyJoLadyJo Posts: 22
    Forum Member
    are you not married?

We split up 10 years ago and all the kids have flown the nest now.
  • Options
    howardlhowardl Posts: 5,120
    Forum Member
    Deep down we all want some one in our lives...a lot suppress the emotion.
  • Options
    Billy_ValueBilly_Value Posts: 22,920
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    tothegrand wrote: »
    Did you ever have a girlfriend?

whos is that question aimed at
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,391
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    whos is that question aimed at

OP.....
  • Options
    Admiral StarAdmiral Star Posts: 2,114
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    _Gizmo_ wrote: »
    Hi

Am I weird for being 33 and much prefering to live alone?. In my younger years I always yearned for a girlfriend, yet was too shy / ugly? for anyone ever to show any interest.

So the girlfriend you talk about in your past posts was a figment of your imagination?:confused: