unbranded phones on Ebay

Tony_BurkeTony_Burke Posts: 99
Forum Member
I am looking to buy a new phone. I like the Galaxy S3 but it is too expensive. On ebay there is an unbranded phone which has android 4.1 4.5in screen and a UK seller with almost 3000 sales and 100% feedback. The feedback seem to say the phone is good. Has anyone purchased one of these phones or similar and if so are they any good? They are £149.99 against £300-£400 for Samsung S3
. New Unlocked 4.5" ANDROID 4.1 Jelly Bean WIFI GPS 3G Dual Sim HD MOBILE PHONE UK
Dual Core CPU 1.2GHz +GPU 4GB 5Mpx Camera 24H DELIVERY

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 23
    Forum Member
    You can get the S3 for nothing, have a look at the carphone warehouse or phones4u. I just got the S3 paying £26 a month for 24 months, no charge for the phone (upfront anyway).
  • Scotty2012Scotty2012 Posts: 1,065
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You can get the S3 for nothing, have a look at the carphone warehouse or phones4u. I just got the S3 paying £26 a month for 24 months, no charge for the phone (upfront anyway).

I think the OP wants a SIM free/pay as you go phone rather than a contract.
  • Hugh_Hugh_ Posts: 951
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You can get the S3 for £15 a month as the phone is bassically obslete now.

It's hardly advertised has been superseded by about 6 different handsets. The S4 is due in he next 3-4 months the nexus 4 although a poor phone is a better choice and is very cheap direct from google.

I have a Nexus 4 an it's definately better than the S3 an at under £300 is a cheap phone. Infact a 8gb Nexus 4 is £230 so even with the awful depreciation of these phone you can't lose. I paid £270 for a 16gb.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hugh_ wrote: »
    You can get the S3 for £15 a month as the phone is bassically obslete now.

It's hardly advertised has been superseded by about 6 different handsets. The S4 is due in he next 3-4 months the nexus 4 although a poor phone is a better choice and is very cheap direct from google.

I have a Nexus 4 an it's definately better than the S3 an at under £300 is a cheap phone.

The Nexus 4 is not a poor phone. What makes you say that it is?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Scotty2012 wrote: »
    The Nexus 4 is not a poor phone. What makes you say that it is?

Honestly,

It feel very cheaply made, the screen should be better, battery life is pathetic.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Honestly,

It feel very cheaply made, the screen should be better, battery life is pathetic.

Build quality is fantastic, the screen is beautiful and the battery life is very good.
  • carguy143carguy143 Posts: 2,327
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I love the screen on my nexus 4 and I came from a Galaxy Nexus which had a great screen but sadly suffered from the banding issues when used at low brightness levels. The nexus 4 feels solid too.
  • Tony_BurkeTony_Burke Posts: 99
    Forum Member
    Scotty2012 wrote: »
    I think the OP wants a SIM free/pay as you go phone rather than a contract.

Thats correct I am looking for PAYG as I don't want to be tied into contract. Hence looking for cheaper phone.
  • Zack06Zack06 Posts: 28,304
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Honestly,

It doesn't feel cheaply made. Do you even have one? How much better can the screen be at the moment. Only the HTC J Butterfly has a better screen, and at the price point I don't know why you are expecting the Nexus 4 to be like that. The battery life is not pathetic and is most certainly on par with other Android devices.
  • OrbitalzoneOrbitalzone Posts: 12,627
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Anyway back to the OP, there are a number of clone S3 lookalikes, they're of course cheap Chinese copies as opposed to higher priced Chinese originals (or maybe Samsung make the S3 in Korea?)

Google 'Clone Galaxy S3' and you should find some reviews.... they seem ok but of course no one will likely be around to help should it go wrong or need spares.
    Link Link
    Link
  • jabbamk1jabbamk1 Posts: 8,942
    Forum Member
    I guess i should comment.

What you're looking at on Ebay is a Chinese phone. Basically it's a copy of the S3. The reason it's so cheap is 1- Prices in China are cheap, 2- the phone is nowhere near as good as the actual S3. It's good but not that good (goes for build quality and everything). 3- These companies use the cheapest parts.

I would recommend that, you buy an actual S3, or the Nexus 4 (if you can find one) rather than one of these Chinese phones.

Reason i say is due to above + the Chinese phones come without warranty in the UK. They usually have bits that don't work unless you tweak them. You usually have to play around with settings by rooting/flashing new roms to get certain things working. They can break easily due to cheap components.

Tbh unless you're willing to take a risk and know how android works in terms or rooting/tweaking/flashing roms then it's an ok price to pay. But i still recommend getting a branded phone like Samsung or whatever. Like i said there is a reason why they're so cheap.

Saying that, i have a Chinese phone and it's working perfectly now after a lot of tweaking. But that's only because i knew what i was doing and how to do it. If you don't know much about Android like i said above then don't buy
    http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1750260

Sorry about my english in this post. I'm on my phone.
  • alan1302alan1302 Posts: 6,336
    Forum Member
    jabbamk1 wrote: »
    Sorry about my english in this post. I'm on my phone.

Is that because it's a Chinese phone? :D:p
    Forum Member
    alan1302 wrote: »
    Is that because it's a Chinese phone? :D:p

Haha, kinda. When I got the phone it came without a english dictionary preinstalled so there was no autocorrect or anything. Had to install my own keyboard. :p
  • Thine WonkThine Wonk Posts: 17,190
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    When he pressed 23 it said Chicken with Black Bean Sauce and when he pressed 34 Special Fried Rice :o
    Forum Member
    Thine Wonk wrote: »
    When he pressed 23 it said Chicken with Black Bean Sauce and when he pressed 34 Special Fried Rice :o

Hahahahaha! Also when my phone arrived from China it came with a complimentary bag of Prawn Crackers :D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 22
    Forum Member
    Don't buy one off "mi phon gon wong"..
    Forum Member
    kpfarmer1 wrote: »
    Don't buy one off "mi phon gon wong"..

Killed It...

@OP, What is your budget?
  • Tony_BurkeTony_Burke Posts: 99
    Forum Member
    upto £150 ideally but could go slightly higher - possibly £200
  • coopermanyorkscoopermanyorks Posts: 21,215
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thine Wonk wrote: »

like it :D

Op,don't do it

If you can't afford a new S3,then consider a used S3 before a clone,you wil be velly solly if you go chinese
  • John_PatrickJohn_Patrick Posts: 924
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Do the phones from China get rated for their SAR value.... how would you know if they are safe while planted next to your ear? The ones I have seen say that they come with 2 (some 3) batteries. Wonder why that is? Battery crap? or maybe cos they use cheap bits the radio in the phone has to be on full power all the time and uses the battery up?

No thanks.
  • Thine WonkThine Wonk Posts: 17,190
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The batteries are cheaper, all the components are likely to be cheaper. The assembly will be a bit botchy stuff soldered from board to board rather than proper connectors, they will cut corners with the shielding.

In most stuff these days if you take apart a phone or tablet you'll find the radios all cased in with thin metal, the nexus 10 even has a thin sheet of metal all over the inside back as shielding. It is likely these knock off's will be cheaply made and will cut corners, however if you go into it knowing that then you may well be happy to accept it.
  • Andrew_ReidAndrew_Reid Posts: 110
    Forum Member
    Hi,i have ordered this one last week N9330 Note II 1GB RAM 3G Smart Phone MTK6577 1.2GHz Dual Core Android 4.1.1 5.5" QHD Capacitive Screen GPS WIFI 4GB ROM,from ali express,i need a dual sim phone anyway,so for a £100,am prepared so take a chance with this one.I have a galaxy s3 just now from t-mobile,had it from july 2012,but the last while it has been rebooting itself,and i have now found out it has the dreaded Sudden Death Syndrome,where it dies after 6 months and does not power on.So its going to samsung to get fixed.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yeah this S3 "sudden death" issue is getting bigger and bigger an is happening on phones is brazil, the UK, all over Europe so it's a worldwide problem.
    Forum Member
    Hi,i have ordered this one last week N9330 Note II 1GB RAM 3G Smart Phone MTK6577 1.2GHz Dual Core Android 4.1.1 5.5" QHD Capacitive Screen GPS WIFI 4GB ROM,from ali express,i need a dual sim phone anyway,so for a £100,am prepared so take a chance with this one.I have a galaxy s3 just now from t-mobile,had it from july 2012,but the last while it has been rebooting itself,and i have now found out it has the dreaded Sudden Death Syndrome,where it dies after 6 months and does not power on.So its going to samsung to get fixed.

That's a very good phone you got. How'd you get it so cheap? Did you not pay for dhl shipping?

@OP, I agree with thine wonk, unless you know what you're doing with a chinese phone you might as well buy a used s3 or a brand new dual core phone. Should be able to get galaxy s2 for £200 on payg new if I remember correctly.

@John, sar ratings are not as bad as you think. 2 batteries is normal because they're cheap. My battery lasts longer than my previous htc one x. Plus all phones in the uk used to come with2 batteries a while back
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 166
    Forum Member
    I have a Chinese Note2 with similar specs to OP, it cost £120 plus postage.
    Cracking phone, my only problem is the sheer size of it ... I wish I'd bought the S3 copy with MTK6588 quad core processor.