Thriller, 1970's TV Series: We Need Shows Like This NOW.

13»

Comments

• rolypolyman1rolypolyman1 Posts: 176
    Forum Member
    Robbedin73 wrote: »
    My Late father was in an epsoide called I am the Girl she wants to Kill

I'm dying to know.
    Who was your Father?
  • Robbedin73Robbedin73 Posts: 7,859
    Forum Member
    I'm the Girl he Wants To Kill was the title.

Robert Lang?

Patrick Connor, he played the Security guard who wanted a night off in the Epsoide
    Ring any bells
    Forum Member
    Patrick Connor, he played the Security guard who wanted a night off in the Epsoide
    Ring any bells

It's been a while since I watched it.

Was he a jobbing actor or did he have any notable roles in something else?

Some of the people in these shows have faces you always recognise but very often don't know the name

Just looked him up on IMDB - I;m sure I would know his face if I saw it.
    Quite an impressive list of appearances
    Forum Member
    I'm dying to know.
    Who was your Father?

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0175447/
  • hardylanehardylane Posts: 3,092
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm one of the idiots who bought the "season one" box set, expecting the rest.

The release of the ENTIRE series two years later was very annoying, as it was a fortune, and made my old box set worthless.

I did get the big one cheap though eventually, which is just class!

I'm so tired of paying for the same thing again and again, only to see a "new, improved version, with 1000s of extras" come out soon after....
    Forum Member
    hardylane wrote: »
    I'm one of the idiots who bought the "season one" box set, expecting the rest.

The release of the ENTIRE series two years later was very annoying, as it was a fortune, and made my old box set worthless.

I did get the big one cheap though eventually, which is just class!

I'm so tired of paying for the same thing again and again, only to see a "new, improved version, with 1000s of extras" come out soon after....

I did that too.

To be fair , Granada released series 1 but then Network entered a deal to release all ITV archive shows amd I must say I was glad they did it in one go rather than a season at a time
    Forum Member

Although he never seemed to get large parts , he must have had some stories to tell judging from the things he appeared in.

Dixon of Dock Green, Z Cars ,Crossroads ,The Avengers , Persuaders , New Avengers ,On the Buses to name just a few .

What a line up.

He was even in one of my guilty pleasures - Lifeforce
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I did that too.

To be fair , Granada released series 1 but then Network entered a deal to release all ITV archive shows amd I must say I was glad they did it in one go rather than a season at a time

Trouble was, I could afford to buy one box set at a time at £15, but not a big £100 chunk!

Some of us have a budget! :)

This was around the time that SERIOUS discounting started on DVDs mind you...now, I use find-dvd.co.uk all the time, to see which of my shrinking VHS collection is now available in a box set for a fiver :)

(The Alien Quadrilogy was value beyond measure!!!)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

You too, huh :o
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 526
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've been working my way through the Thriller set and have recently taken to saying Francesca ("Sign It Death") Annis' utterly bizarre threat: "Don't spite me." at the most inappropriate occasions.

Also, for what it's worth, I met Norman Eshley a few times a couple of years back, and couldn't remember where I'd seen him (after the countless things he's been in). D'oh!
    Forum Member
    Although he never seemed to get large parts , he must have had some stories to tell judging from the things he appeared in.

Dixon of Dock Green, Z Cars ,Crossroads ,The Avengers , Persuaders , New Avengers ,On the Buses to name just a few .

What a line up.

Have got some photos which i will upload tomorrow and will pm them .
  • swillsswills Posts: 4,004
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If you want quality TV Drama DVDs from the 70's & 80's and comedy too, go to:

www.networkdvd.net

You too can recreate the golden age on TV, most still have the Front / End caps and some adcaps too :)

I find I am now watching more from 'Network' than current TV !

Enemy at the Door. Danger UXB, Wish me Luck, Piece of Cake, Manhunt........
  • Phoenix LazarusPhoenix Lazarus Posts: 17,306
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's fair to say that out of the 43 episodes there are just a handful of plots basically repeated over and over with a few variations.

Serial murder, pursuit of dangerous person by police/private individuals, and women lured/conned/placed into position of isolation with dangerous person, only to be saved in nick-of-time climax are somewhat of a recurring theme.
  • Phoenix LazarusPhoenix Lazarus Posts: 17,306
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've finally got through watching the majority of the 44 episodes on the DVD box set (still got a few to go). What are your personal favourite episodes from this series? Mine is If It's a Man, Hang Up, the marvellously creepy drama based around a sadistic stalker. Not so much a Whodunnit as a Who'sdoinit, as we try and work out which of several dubious male acquaintances of a glamorous model is the man plaguing her with creepy phone calls. Full of clever twists right up to the frightening and suspenseful climax in an isolated country cottage. Second to IIAMHU, I liked Screamer. For me, this story of the frightened girl who keeps seeing a rapist locally was the blackest and most powerful in tone of all the stories. The scene in which the central female character kills the man who calls at her friends' house while she is there in their absence is particularly disturbing, largely because of the prolonged nature of his death and the way we see him still alive twice after he appears to have died.