Linux Users general chat thread.

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member
    1saintly wrote: »
    Hi Kal-EI
    Just burn the dam disk, you could have had it runnung by now :D
    Ive tried all formats of Gnome but still cant take to it, will be sticking with my XFCE :)

But am tempted to try this
    http://cinnamon.linuxmint.com/?p=207
    But without ATI Drivers as they dont seem like my setup :mad:
    But luckily the non proprietary work a treat :cool:

Ps still think that Mint default Firefox icon looks awfull :D

Ended up burning a disc. Switching USB's made no difference, and I couldn't do anything in BIOS to enable USB booting. Didn't try PLOP. Just got on with it. :)

In fact just spent a couple of hours installing and setting up Ubuntu 12.04 for her, and now it's sorted. Was really worried about the AMD/ATI driver situation. I seem to read about a lot of people having issues with this GPU more than any others. It's only an integrated thingie (AMD HD 7250G), but I didn't want it to mess up. Had a bit of a task enabling the ATI proprietary driver post-release update (the release driver installed initially without a hitch), but it wasn't hard to sort in the end, and I was very relieved to see everything install well and the performance be good. I have to say I really love Unity on the laptop. Really nice to use and great performance.

She's really chuffed with it anyway. Says the laptop feels like hers now, and not Microsoft's. Honestly, I don't make this stuff up!
  • Options
    RobinOfLoxleyRobinOfLoxley Posts: 27,040
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'll have a rant now....

Just taken me two sodding hours to get Text Copy and Paste working from W7 to Ubuntu Guest in Virtualbox.

Official method and mentioned often in searches, is to Install Guest additions and make sure machine clipboard setting is Bidirectional.

Only a throwaway remark by one of many with same problem gave me the answer.

'Install Guest additions', may only mount them. Need to run VboxLinuxAdditions.run on the virtual CD too.

autorun.sh took care of it. (then a guest reboot)

Does nobody who writes Help for beginners think to include these details?

Rant over.

(I normally use VMPlayer, fairly easily. Only trouble is it causes my system to become unstable after using it and I always have to reboot)
  • Options
    archiverarchiver Posts: 13,011
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I wonder if everyone who has installed 'guest additions' on a Linux guest agrees with your rant. I do, but once done always remembered I guess. I'd go further and say I loathe the default bash shell and colours, but usually endure them through that process. Everything starts to get easier to configure when cut n paste is working. :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Blimey this has upset a few. Personally I think this could be a good idea, but the implementation sounds a wee bit intrusive and graceless. It seems searching for your programs will bring up suggested shopping items in the Dash Search, as well as you know, your programs. So if you're looking for say, I dunno, IcedTea, you'll end up with a load of references to related sounding stuff off Amazon.

I do feel Ubuntu should be able to monetise itself. I mean look at what they offer for free. But then I can't help feeling that this is a bit obvious and clumsy. Very phone-like. I don't fancy that on my desktop or laptop. But it's early days and I really hope they figure it out. Maybe they ought to, you know, just charge for the OS. Be easier all round I think. Maybe that's the next step - subscriptions to use Ubuntu, to remove ads.

/shudder

:D

Obviously there's a difference between making a living, and making money. :)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 146
    Forum Member
    I'm quite happy with Pinguy 12.04 LTS 64bit at the moment. It does everything I want to do on an o/s and is easy to use. I liked ubuntu 12.04 but I couldn't get Audacity to record internet radio which is quite important to me.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    kevz wrote: »
    I'm quite happy with Pinguy 12.04 LTS 64bit at the moment. It does everything I want to do on an o/s and is easy to use. I liked ubuntu 12.04 but I couldn't get Audacity to record internet radio which is quite important to me.

It does look lovely and very unique. There's definitely an argument that since the move to Gnome Shell, those distros that don't like the default look have been more creative at getting to something they do like. We have Unity, Cinnamon, Pear OS's own shell, and Pinguy's. Yet it's still Gnome, and there'll be no doubt more to come. I think that's a good thing generally.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 146
    Forum Member
    Kal_El wrote: »
    It does look lovely and very unique. There's definitely an argument that since the move to Gnome Shell, those distros that don't like the default look have been more creative at getting to something they do like. We have Unity, Cinnamon, Pear OS's own shell, and Pinguy's. Yet it's still Gnome, and there'll be no doubt more to come. I think that's a good thing generally.

I just like it because it's easy to use. A couple of years ago I use to be more adventurous and use to take ages scouring discussion boards for solutions .... now I just try and keep it as simple as possible. Zorin's easy to use and the only other linux I use is Bodhi as it's lightweight using the enlightenment desktop and works well on old low specced pcs
  • Options
    Forum Member
    The storm goes on, Shuttleworth responds. Someone here pointed out a while ago that as a user and not a developer, I shouldn't have any opinion on what is offered as Free Software. But I do have very mixed feelings about this.
  • Options
    1saintly1saintly Posts: 4,197
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The storm goes on, Shuttleworth responds. Someone here pointed out a while ago that as a user and not a developer, I shouldn't have any opinion on what is offered as Free Software. But I do have very mixed feelings about this.

I Dont see the problem.
    It generates money for Ununtu and other Ubuntu based Distros will benifit from it.
    BUT They dont have to include the Amazon stuff.
    They dont need as much funding as Ubuntu are doing most of the ground work for them!
    Also Ubuntu user just need
    sudo apt-get remove unity-lens-shopping
    To delete it and keep on using Ubuntu without it.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I thought these guys had called it a day..

http://distrowatch.com/?newsid=07463
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I Dont see the problem.
    It generates money for Ununtu and other Ubuntu based Distros will benifit from it.
    BUT They dont have to include the Amazon stuff.
    They dont need as much funding as Ubuntu are doing most of the ground work for them!
    Also Ubuntu user just need
    sudo apt-get remove unity-lens-shopping
    To delete it and keep on using Ubuntu without it.

I don't have a problem with it as such. I'm thrilled to know they are getting some revenue! They put a lot of work into Ubuntu, and it's fair game. As long as it's secure and the user is respected. I wouldn't want to remove it, just a button to disable it or perhaps even better if it gets its own Lens, a simple way to just avoid it is fine by me.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I thought these guys had called it a day..

http://distrowatch.com/?newsid=07463

They have. They just don't know that they have yet. :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I wouldn't want to remove it, just a button to disable it or perhaps even better if it gets its own Lens, a simple way to just avoid it is fine by me.

That would be like Digital Spy site providing a Add Block Button :D :eek:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    That would be like Digital Spy site providing a Add Block Button :D :eek:

More like me opting to just not use Digital Spy. :D:D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Just been trying out Fedora 18 nightly (day off work :)). I don't especially like the distro, but I wanted to get an idea of what Gnome 3.6 is like. I'd read about the incoming changes to both Shell and Nautilus, and was keen to see them and form my own thoughts.

Have to say, though I am (or was...) a fan of Gnome 3, I don't really like this direction now. It works really well in it's own parameters, but on a desktop I'm beginning to feel the more vocal side of Linux users were right. They've changed Shell a bit, though it's fundamentally the same, with a new "All Apps" button on top of the launcher and a flipping herruge empty bar at the bottom, and they've made buttons bigger and removed lots of configuration options from Nautilus.

I can see if I had a touchscreen this would be marvellous, but not for my desktop, which makes me a bit sad as I liked the new paradigms. But it's sent me rushing back to Mint 13 with Cinnamon to get some sanity. I can really see why they felt the need to fork these programs, even though I think they're setting themselves up for a lot of work. Since reinstalling Mint, I really appreciate it all the more.

I also tried Ubuntu 12.10 with Unity, which was much better, but there's a problematic kernel bug apparently that means you have to delete the words 'splash' from the boot options or it won't boot to the live session. It worked fine after that, but I couldn't get it to install.
  • Options
    nokadotanokadota Posts: 274
    Forum Member
    How bloody awesome is xfce? I love it :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    nokadota wrote: »
    How bloody awesome is xfce? I love it :D

Bloody awesome :D

Ive tried a few but settled for Xubuntu ages ago, havent touched Gnome for ages.

Great videos for anyone that wants a walk through on using Xfce. Take youre pick from the list on the right
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?gl=GB&v=zX5_H2pS1nU

I think Xfce as well as Cinammon will grow and grow :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I think they're all awesome. My problem is sticking with just the one. I always feel I'm missing something after too long using just one!
  • Options
    Esot-ericEsot-eric Posts: 1,293
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just installed Linux Mint Debian Edition on an old laptop i bought from my dad for £20 (one of those "free" laptops you get with mobile contracts).

Under Windows it was slow and after a while it overheated and shut down. No such problems (well it's still slow, just not as much) under Linux.

£10 for a replacement keyboard and it's a perfectly serviceable laptop.

Tried plugging in a Logitech webcam that always gave me problems on my Hackintosh (chipmonk audio unless i went to the MIDI settings and changed the sample rate every time since the setting refused to stick) and it just worked in Linphone. Tried it in Skype and it just worked there too.

Always loved how Mint includes all the various codecs by default. AAC and MP3 audio just worked in Banshee and various video files played in Media Player without stuttering (same files were a problem on Windows).

Just for giggles i encoded some audio files in the newly standardised Opus Codec thinking it unlikely they would be supported by default, but they played back perfectly.

Thanks to Linux, £30 for a perfectly usable laptop running modern software that i can pass on to my sister when she's back in the UK next week.
  • Options
    nokadotanokadota Posts: 274
    Forum Member
    KDE is awesome too :( So much choice, not enough time :cry:
  • Options
    Mr. CoolMr. Cool Posts: 1,551
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    nokadota wrote: »
    KDE is awesome too :( So much choice, not enough time :cry:

I know some will disagree but I've never liked the default look of KDE and the fact that in the default File Manager, one click opens a folder.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Esot-eric wrote: »
    Just installed Linux Mint Debian Edition on an old laptop i bought from my dad for £20 (one of those "free" laptops you get with mobile contracts).

Under Windows it was slow and after a while it overheated and shut down. No such problems (well it's still slow, just not as much) under Linux.

£10 for a replacement keyboard and it's a perfectly serviceable laptop.

Tried plugging in a Logitech webcam that always gave me problems on my Hackintosh (chipmonk audio unless i went to the MIDI settings and changed the sample rate every time since the setting refused to stick) and it just worked in Linphone. Tried it in Skype and it just worked there too.

Always loved how Mint includes all the various codecs by default. AAC and MP3 audio just worked in Banshee and various video files played in Media Player without stuttering (same files were a problem on Windows).

Just for giggles i encoded some audio files in the newly standardised Opus Codec thinking it unlikely they would be supported by default, but they played back perfectly.

Thanks to Linux, £30 for a perfectly usable laptop running modern software that i can pass on to my sister when she's back in the UK next week.

That's really encouraging. I think the Mint team are keeping one eye on Debian, just in case the Ubuntu base disappears or changes so much so that they can't use it.

I decided to switch over to Clementine Music Player instead of Banshee. I think it's just much nicer in general use, and a bit prettier. But does anyone know how to change the default colours it uses? On Linux Mint it sort of has a military green colour to match the system, but it's not very attractive. There must be a way to change it.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    :mad::( Sky Go doesnt work with Linux.

Dam Sky insisting on Silverlight.

Not even the famous ..Mint plays everything ... fails to run it
    http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=58&p=634865

The Moonlight plugin doesnt work with it either.

http://helpforum.sky.com/t5/Setting-Up-Sky-Go/Linux-Operating-System/td-p/127349/page/2
  • Options
    Forum Member
    What's Sky Go?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    http://go.sky.com/vod/page/default/home.do

As we pay for sky movies and sports, you can watch a movie or sports event without the need of a dish or sky box :D

Bit strange as they say you can use Sky go on Android devices.

Would have thought Ubuntu would have sorted something with there new Unity desktop setup.

Edit... Doh was go try XBMC :(
    http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=131427