"Rubbish spawns...Sniping is overpowered...Un-Balanced...etc"

Martin BlankMartin Blank Posts: 1,689
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I'm bored of it now. Any new FPS that comes out, it's always the same:

Spawns are rubbish, snipers are overpowered, maps are unbalanced, so and so gun is the noob gun...and so on and so forth.

Who's right? Are you telling me that game makers never learn from comments made to them about issues within game? Or is the problem that the issues aren't correctly relayed to the game makers?

Or are people just crying over nothing, essentially because they are rubbish?

Can anyone tell me a game that the spawns are perfect on? Where all the guns and maps are balanced?

Comments

• jim_ukjim_uk Posts: 13,280
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The problem these days isn't the maps or games it the people "playing" them, hanging around spawn points, camping, hiding in bushes and all the other nonsense used to get people kicked from games, these days it's the norm.

I agree with this bloke (Strong language) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E6HLn9EgU8k
  • CheapthrillsCheapthrills Posts: 2,603
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm getting tired of these kinda FPS games a whole, I wish we could go back towards quake and unreal.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm getting tired of these kinda FPS games a whole, I wish we could go back towards quake and unreal.

I've not tried this yet but it's free..... http://www.quakelive.com/#home
  • CheapthrillsCheapthrills Posts: 2,603
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jim_uk wrote: »
    I've not tried this yet but it's free..... http://www.quakelive.com/#home

I've played it, and it is great basically Quake3 thru your browser, I've spent ages playing quake3 and its associated Mods in the past and as much as I love it I want something new.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 9,342
    Forum Member
    The problem these days isn't the maps or games it the people "playing" them, hanging around spawn points, camping, hiding in bushes and all the other nonsense used to get people kicked from games, these days it's the norm.

I agree with this bloke (Strong language) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E6HLn9EgU8k

ELPRESADOR for the win!
  • HotbirdHotbird Posts: 10,010
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Can anyone tell me a game that the spawns are perfect on? Where all the guns and maps are balanced?

TFC was had well balanced maps with good spawn point and a balanced class system.

But back then if you didn't like a map or wanted a map to play a certain way you just edited a current map or made your own, the restrictive nature of console online means that that can no longer happen :mad:
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,848
    Forum Member
    People have similar moans about Uncharted 2 and that is a TPS
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    earsnot wrote: »
    ELPRESADOR for the win!

Too right, Activision need to put him in charge. :D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,029
    Forum Member

Absolutely true. The communities of online first person shooters, especially call of duty, are infested with people who want to camp and hide away from the action. It's just the nature of online gaming nowadays - you cannot eradicate it but just make it harder for them to camp. I think the maps on Black Ops are fine but, as usual, people camp all over the place when they get the chance.

There's no harm in hanging around a specific area for a while but the people who sit in a corner the entire match with a claymore sitting next to them make it irritating and a chore to play. But, it's always going to happen so better just get used to it.

P.S Elpresador is brilliant! :D
  • WafcSeanWafcSean Posts: 490
    Forum Member
    for some reason, people do not play games to have fun anymore, they take it tooo serious and end up curling up ina corner waiting for someone to come to them. I dont undertand it, it makes some objective based COD games unplayable.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 444
    Forum Member
    WafcSean wrote: »
    for some reason, people do not play games to have fun anymore, they take it tooo serious and end up curling up ina corner waiting for someone to come to them. I dont undertand it, it makes some objective based COD games unplayable.

It's not about fun anymore, its about getting the most kills, yes thats the objective of the game but add to that k/d ratios, then peoples pride is brought into gaming, not everyone is like that thank goodness but enough to ruin a game.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 514
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My best advice is this. If you are going to play online, play with friends. That way, you will enjoy yourself more.

With many games if you play online against random players, you will be frustrated. I used to play Chess on Yahoo, but then the lousy tactics many players would use to get a win made me quit. They would invite me to a game, then at the last minute change the game from a 10 minute game to a 1 minute one and I would lose out because of the time. Yes people do go to these lengths to ensure a win.

I used to play pool also, but too many times people used aimers to get their rating up.

I used to also play Street Fighter 4 and again, its amazing the lengths people go to to ensure that they win.

Its not fun anymore. So many online players absolutely have to win, regardless of how lame it makes them look, they dont care. AS LONG AS THEY WIN.

So again my advice is, if you play online, play with friends otherwise, be prepared to have your patience tested.
  • tommyd1258tommyd1258 Posts: 6,923
    Forum Member
    I'm sure it doesn't help having your 'kill:death' ratio smacked in your face constantly. I have one mate who, if it isn't positive, he'll quit a match... it's a bit sad really. Maybe something as simple as not being able to see the leaderboard as you play would stop people getting so angry.

I know on battlefield the leaderboard just shows your points in the match, and after the match you see your kill and deaths etc.

Although I usually get a decent positive on games there's always going to be the odd game I get loads of deaths, I just don't let it bother me.
  • BesterBester Posts: 9,698
    Forum Member
    Agree with the general comment about camping being rife in FPS these days.

Personally, I don't think it's as bad on BO as it was on MW2. The intricate map design can on first impression lead to more camping, but there are there many spots that if you sit in one place for the entire game you'll probably find that you don't encounter anyone at all. I've found the BO maps to be a lot more condusive to run-n-gun than anything else.

My favourite map on BO is 'Cracked' - I prefer the square maps to the round ones. Play Domination and B is right in the middle of the map, with each team starting at either end. I usually spend a lot of time fighting at B, taking it, defending it, losing it, retaking it. Great fun. Might actually be one of my favourite maps from any CoD game.

A shame that more of the maps aren't like this one.
  • Martin BlankMartin Blank Posts: 1,689
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    To me, the best game mode on COD is hardcore headquarters. Camping isn't rewarded as it inspires everyone to go for the points you get from capturing the HQ. Makes for a much better game, with more people running about.

Search and Destroy is where it's at also, especially if you're playing with friends and you've managed to fill a whole lobby.

Let the good times roll.
  • tysonstormtysonstorm Posts: 24,609
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I blame the players, not the game.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    tysonstorm wrote: »
    I blame the players, not the game.

its 50 50 in my opinion.

players care too much about stats

But if the games removed leader boards and stats, and allowed dedicated custom servers to be ran and moderated by players it would cut a lot of the crap out. Once you found a server on a PC game back in the day which was run by like minded people it was always easy to return to that server and have a fun game with a group of people who all wanted to play the same way (And with none of the fuss of arranging games and forming parties and inviting friends :rolleyes: simply load game, join server and play :cool:)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hotbird wrote: »
    its 50 50 in my opinion.

players care too much about stats

But if the games removed leader boards and stats, and allowed dedicated custom servers to be ran and moderated by players it would cut a lot of the crap out. Once you found a server on a PC game back in the day which was run by like minded people it was always easy to return to that server and have a fun game with a group of people who all wanted to play the same way (And with none of the fuss of arranging games and forming parties and inviting friends :rolleyes: simply load game, join server and play :cool:)

I remember those days.

And it's not like it isn't possible on consoles. Does anyone remember the (glorious) Socom days, on the PS2? You could set up a server, give it a name, people could search by country, scroll down the list and find your room. You had the power to boot people out.

Why isn't that option still available these days? Is it some poor attempt at 'fairness' for the people that are paying for your service, to ensure they get a game and aren't locked out, even if they are a number one cheesy douche bag? Is it some veiled attempt at curbing bullying? Or is it simply because many are too cheap to provide servers, and rely on peer to peer?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    WafcSean wrote: »
    Capt.Smead wrote: »
    It's not about fun anymore, its about getting the most kills, yes thats the objective of the game but add to that k/d ratios, then peoples pride is brought into gaming, not everyone is like that thank goodness but enough to ruin a game.

I was involved in a similar discussion on another board and this came up time and again. People used to play for fun, these days all that matters winning or not finishing last. They really need to get rid of the ratios, leaderboards ect and give us dedicated servers that we can install anti-arsehat measures on.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I was involved in a similar discussion on another board and this came up time and again. People used to play for fun, these days all that matters winning or not finishing last. They really need to get rid of the ratios, leaderboards ect and give us dedicated servers that we can install anti-arsehat measures on.

*applause*
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Why isn't that option still available these days?

The cynic in me thinks it to justify the cost of LIVE and all the party features that are so important on P2P servers.

But most of the problem of why we don't have dedicated servers is because people defend LIVE as been the best thing to hit online gaming ever when if not really compared to how online gaming was on the PC.

That been said there is a place for P2P and party modes, just that it should be something to compliment dedicated servers not as a total replacement for them.
    Or is it simply because many are too cheap to provide servers, and rely on peer to peer?

Depending on how each is ran by the games company P2P could actually be more expensive. P2P uses matchmaking servers to help players find games while dedicated servers "could" cost nothing if people ran them at home through the game or via the old style dedicated server software that was available for lots of PC games that you could download and run on a PC to provide a server (Something I used to do on a works PC over the weekend with TFC).

Obviously the games companies would rather run their own servers so cost that way clearly favor P2P.