beckham v the hooker ???

fynefunfynefun Posts: 152
Forum Member
so after all the stories this summer, the possible court case and suing the hooker has anyone heard anymore about it, would have thought since beckham was 'innocent' we would be hearing more of the impending court case

Comments

• ftvftv Posts: 31,668
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    fynefun wrote: »
    so after all the stories this summer, the possible court case and suing the hooker has anyone heard anymore about it, would have thought since beckham was 'innocent' we would be hearing more of the impending court case

I suspect Beckham's legal advisers thought better of it and a trial would only inflame the publicity again (and it seemed perfectly obvious the woman could not afford any sort of libel payment to Beckham). The tabloids which ''investigated'' the allegations seemed to satisfy themselves that Beckham couldn't possibly have met her in any case. And the magazine withdrew the story from its website.I'm not saying that's conclusive but it gives a pretty good idea of the thinking behind it - perhaps the magazine should have checked its facts in the first place:eek:
  • guffybearguffybear Posts: 1,752
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    fynefun wrote: »

according to Private Eye, his laywers connected with the press telling them if they printed any of the evidence it would lay them open the libel action. of course the fearless press have fallen totally in line.

as for the court case, the same source says as the story was not on the UK facing website for in Touch, the case cannot be brought in libel friendly british courts. it can only be brought in a US or German court as the magazine is published in the US and owned by a German publisher
  • i4ui4u Posts: 54,804
    Forum Member
    Didn't Max Clifford say he was going to have a meeting with the girl to discuss matters?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 270
    Forum Member
    Did he ever sue Rebecca Loose? And if not why not - he said it never happened didn't he..:rolleyes:
  • fynefunfynefun Posts: 152
    Forum Member
    yeah i just thought with the mighty beckham pr machine behind it they would be wanting to pursue this girl and let everyone know she was lying seeing as it was kind of global news her allegations
  • duffsdadduffsdad Posts: 11,143
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    guffybear wrote: »
    according to Private Eye, his laywers connected with the press telling them if they printed any of the evidence it would lay them open the libel action. of course the fearless press have fallen totally in line.

as for the court case, the same source says as the story was not on the UK facing website for in Touch, the case cannot be brought in libel friendly british courts. it can only be brought in a US or German court as the magazine is published in the US and owned by a German publisher

Where I'm guessing that in open court questions from both sides could be asked and the answers have huge impact. He will stay away from this like the plague if any sense.