What makes swimming in Quarries particularly dangerous?

13»

Comments

• LinearCandidateLinearCandidate Posts: 32
    Forum Member
    Quarries are bloody cold, often full of miscellaneous crap which can injure you, and are often very very deep to boot.

They often also have flamin' deep sides - no shallow end and hard to get out of.

Dodgy.
    Like old shopping trolleys for example? :(

Anyways, there is a lake not far from where I live, and there are some areas near the lake which have, (or did have) emergency flotation devices to throw to people who entered the water either for fun or accidentally and got into difficulty, but some of the chavs in our area vandalized the equipment by puncturing the floatation devices! :mad: I wonder how much regret the people who vandalized the floatation devices next to the lake would feel if they ended up being the ones who ended up in difficulty in that lake themselves and need rescuing? It would teach 'em a lesson not to vandalize safety equipment if you ask me! :rolleyes:
  • ~Twinkle~~Twinkle~ Posts: 8,165
    Forum Member
    If you're daft enough to pose the question, I suggest that you keep away from any bodies of water, anywhere.
  • PootmatootPootmatoot Posts: 15,640
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's not unusual for quarry lakes to have all sorts of unpleasant things leeching into them from the rock that was being mined, like iron ions and lead.
  • elliecatelliecat Posts: 9,890
    Forum Member
    I wouldn't go swimming in a quarry or a reservoir. Deep water I can't see the bottom of scares me slightly.
    jeff_vader wrote: »
    Diving in quarries can be dangerous too. There's one here that has an old-fashioned double decker bus and plane on the bottom.

how did they get there?
  • Deb ArkleDeb Arkle Posts: 12,584
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    elliecat wrote: »
    I wouldn't go swimming in a quarry or a reservoir. Deep water I can't see the bottom of scares me slightly.

how did they get there?
    I'd imagine they were put there by SCUBA diving clubs - there is a place I know of which has the same.
  • ElyanElyan Posts: 8,781
    Forum Member
    A friend of mine drowned in a bowl of muesli.

Got pulled in by a strong currant.
  • AOTBAOTB Posts: 9,708
    Forum Member
    Elyan wrote: »
    A friend of mine drowned in a bowl of muesli.

Got pulled in by a strong currant.

A friend of mine got into serious trouble swimming in a curry.

He fell into a Korma.
  • njpnjp Posts: 27,583
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ~Twinkle~ wrote: »
    If you're daft enough to pose the question, I suggest that you keep away from any bodies of water, anywhere.
    I thought it was a perfectly reasonable question.
  • njpnjp Posts: 27,583
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    elliecat wrote: »
    how did they get there?
    The plane was brought back from the Moon. The double decker bus was retrieved from the South Pole.

How else do you imagine they got there?