Katy Perry- where did it go right??

boddismboddism Posts: 16,436
Forum Member
✭✭
:D:D

As we have the other threats I thought it only right to add an alternate thread!:p

But to be honest- I dont think Roar is THAT good a song, its certainly not as good as some of her previous stuff, Whats made this new song so successful??

Comments

• ashtray88ashtray88 Posts: 1,531
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think the song is rubbish but it's a safe song for the radio stations to keep playing.
  • TH14TH14 Posts: 11,719
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'll be honest and say I don't like Roar and I don't really like any of her music and I think she is as cheesy as they come BUT I think she is a lovely girl and I can see why teen girls relate to her and why they have embraced her. She's got a great nature and kids can listen to her and relate to her and I'm not to sure they can with many of the other generation of pop stars except perhaps Taylor Swift. Good for her and I hope her run continues and she gets great success
  • AdzPowerAdzPower Posts: 4,861
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Roar is kinda crap but it's well promoted and her fans will lap it up.

Why is she so popular? She know's how to use her sexuality to her advantage that's for sure.
  • konebyvaxkonebyvax Posts: 9,120
    Forum Member
    Personally I don't like Roar or Applause but of the 2 Roar is by far the better song.
  • boddismboddism Posts: 16,436
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    There has been a lightness of touch with this Roar campaign. Who'd have think the lyrics vid would be so successful?? Not me!:o:o
  • Chris_WaltonChris_Walton Posts: 235
    Forum Member
    She knows how to make pop music that's easy on the ears and that the public enjoy. That was evident from her I Kissed A Girl days (hard to believe that song was out 5 years ago!!!)
  • wilpeepwilpeep Posts: 256
    Forum Member
    She has a very good marketing team behind her.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think her humour & not taking herself too seriously helps as well. Shes kinda inoffensive, quite different to the "in ya face" imagery that Riri & Gaga give out.
  • Squealer_MahonySquealer_Mahony Posts: 6,483
    Forum Member
    I think she just releases decent catchy pop songs that aren't overly sexual or gobby (for want of a better word) and puts the effort in when it comes to videos.
    I've never bought her albums but downloaded a few songs from iTunes. I reckon she appeals to a few markets that way.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think she just releases decent catchy pop songs that aren't overly sexual or gobby (for want of a better word) and puts the effort in when it comes to videos.
    I've never bought her albums but downloaded a few songs from iTunes. I reckon she appeals to a few markets that way.

I think she is fantastically good at pop video's too, which is something she has learned well from her idol Madonna. Gaga's video's are very interesting of course, real visual feasts, but in a sense they became a bit samey insofar as it'd be weird clothing, dancing & odd behaviour. Katy's are more mixed: the silliness of Calfornia Gurls or Last Friday Night against the seriousness of Fireworks or The One that Got away
  • Squealer_MahonySquealer_Mahony Posts: 6,483
    Forum Member
    I think Gaga tends to go way out there with some of her videos which in one way is a good thing but like you said it can get a bit samey.
    Katy's videos (for the Teenage Dream album anyway I haven't really watched the others) seem to just be specific concepts for the songs, whether she comes up with them herself or not, it seems to work.
  • rivercity_rulesrivercity_rules Posts: 24,270
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think she's got a strong marketing team. Perfectly timed, perfectly aimed pop songs.

She uses her sexuality, but not too much, she also doesn't take herself too seriously all of the time. She seems relatable, she's friends with Rihanna.

She speaks up about issues, but doesn't ram her opinions down your throat.
  • Zack06Zack06 Posts: 28,304
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Teenage Dream was Katy's equivalent of Rihanna's of Good Girl Gone Bad, a monster era with multiple hit singles which cemented her place as a leading pop female.

I'm not surprised Roar has done so well coming off the back of her last era. GaGa has had more to prove given the lacklustre performance of her Born This Way era. If Katy can keep this up with a good 2nd single, then she will be in a very very comfortable position.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,003
    Forum Member
    Make inoffensive, lowest common denominator pop which is extremely conscious of what has smashed this past year or two, and support it with an effective marketing campaign?

They know that they're doing.
  • Hav_mor91Hav_mor91 Posts: 17,183
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's easy to trace it all back with her.

In the UK prior to California Gurls she had 2 big Collaborations which out her firmly back in the public conciousness then released a mamoth summer smash followed by the end of summer lovesong. Add to that a perfectly timed campaign each single spread out back by increasingly biger and better video's it all sort of fell into place. Plus she is likable not prone to hype and does a brilliant pop song. If she can do it again there is no knowing where she could go.
  • cnbcwatchercnbcwatcher Posts: 56,681
    Forum Member
    She makes good pop songs that are fun without being cheesy. They got it right with Teenage Dream. That album defined Katy Perry and made her into the international megastar she is today. Looking forward to Prism!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 954
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    She's inoffensive. Her views on major issues (political/cultural, etc) are not widely known by the general public and therefore she isn't isolating chunks of the population. She doesn't try and start a revolution with her music.

Employing a simply fantastic marketing/PR team as well.