Waiting for Chryed to Get It On - Christian & Syed (Part 269)

Comments

• NomarfanNomarfan Posts: 142
    Forum Member
    mozzie wrote: »
    You're right. I don't recall any real laughter, but I don't think Sy had much to laugh about for a very long time, and, with his cultural and familial upbringing and repression, most emotions were smothered, not to mention, he was constantly under pressure to hide his true self. It really did take him years to finally accept himself, trust himself and feel comfortable and safe enough to be himself, both in private and in public. He did, however, give us one of the most beautiful smiles I have ever seen, ( Thank you Marc ) Every time he smiled, I smiled. "He lifts my heart" :)

Yes, he has a great smile. I know some people don't really make noise when they laugh. I don't giggle, and the most of the times, I will laugh and smile but it's not a "bust your gut laughing". I do love Christian's laugh and I wondered if that's Johnny's laugh or is it something he "gave" to Christian.

Syed really didn't have a lot to laugh about though, like you said. Even now, I think I would have a hard time getting used to hearing it if he did suddenly start laughing (look at me talking like he's still on the show :o ) I wonder if he laughs now? Probably at the silly things Christian and Yasmin do :D
  • LovelyLauraLovelyLaura Posts: 50,041
    Forum Member
    rome81 wrote: »
    Good question, I'm not sure I remember him laughing. I think that suits the character though.

I seem to remember some awful moment during Amira's 2011 return when he was laughing and giggling away with her like she was his BFF or something. I think the thread reaction was basically WT actual F. I think Amira even giggled that Syed always knew how to make her laugh or something :eek: and we were all like hell to the NO, we all know that they basically sat in silence cos they had absolutely zilch in common!

I'm desperately trying to block this out of my memory :sleep:
  • sxcbaybee123sxcbaybee123 Posts: 2,229
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I seem to remember some awful moment during Amira's 2011 return when he was laughing and giggling away with her like she was his BFF or something. I think the thread reaction was basically WT actual F. I think Amira even giggled that Syed always knew how to make her laugh or something :eek: and we were all like hell to the NO, we all know that they basically sat in silence cos they had absolutely zilch in common!

Hello all. Just rewatched the CP and the final ep, and decided to pop in and see how everyone is...and the first comment I see is about Amira's come back! Please Laura, refrain yourself from ever talking about that Chryed period in history again :eek:, it's one I'm pretty sure we'd all like to forget!

The OOCness of it still makes me shudder. I still to this day feel sorry for Priya, they brought her back and achieved absolutely nothing. Until she was leaving and finally accepted the boys, Amira's character had no progression...in fact, she'd actually gotten worse after her time away (Trying to throw herself down the stairs!).

It just made zero amount of sense that after everything Syed had been through, after everything he fought and lost for; he regressed back so quickly. We always knew Syed was weak, we always knew he could be fickle but bloody hell...

But that's soaps for you, I suppose.

I think that, in very much the same way as Nicholas Hicks-Beach said about the DTW storyline, it wasn't so much about investing in the characters and calling out on the OOCness, it was about storytelling and just trying to fit this ridiculous storyline around them in a way that was vaguely plausible. And I think that the balance just wasn't right. They tried to create drama for drama's sake and it didn't work because it just wasn't believable.

And that's why I still feel sorry for Priya. She came in and had to carry this pointless storyline and try and make her character believable at the same time, and to be quite frank, Amira didn't have enough of a motive to do all of the things that she did. Yes, of course she was heartbroken, of course she felt betrayed but considering that she had had so much time away from the square and bigger priorities to think about (Yas), she was very out of character herself. I'm just glad that she finally was able to move on, come to terms with Chryed and find herself someone new, who she is now happy with. But even that last thing happened off screen!

As I said at the time, I suppose she was there just to facilitate the break up and we as the viewer, had to suffer the months of ooc scripting and bad writing.

But anyway, after that little rant, I have to say, I loved rewatching the clips today. It made me remember just why I loved the storyline and this place so much. I really miss being able to squee over new scenes and staying up until god knows when waiting for the spoilers. :)

Regardless of the fact that Johnny and Marc aren't in it anymore and the fact that I don't follow EE, this storyline stays with me day in day out. Even now, I'll remember little scenes or dialogue and smile. Chryed is just one of those fandoms that will stay with you forever...for better ("Don't you hit me with dahl!") or for worse (The year of Derek :sleep:) :p.
  • mozziemozzie Posts: 58
    Forum Member
    Nomarfan wrote: »
    Yes, he has a great smile. I know some people don't really make noise when they laugh. I don't giggle, and the most of the times, I will laugh and smile but it's not a "bust your gut laughing". I do love Christian's laugh and I wondered if that's Johnny's laugh or is it something he "gave" to Christian.

Syed really didn't have a lot to laugh about though, like you said. Even now, I think I would have a hard time getting used to hearing it if he did suddenly start laughing (look at me talking like he's still on the show :o ) I wonder if he laughs now? Probably at the silly things Christian and Yasmin do :D
    LOL :D Oh, how I love your last little comment. Exactly how I imagine them all. ;) Lots and lots of happy moments filled with laughter. :) Especially today, 31 Oct being Yasmin's 3rd birthday. lol ;)
  • sxcbaybee123sxcbaybee123 Posts: 2,229
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    LOL :D Oh, how I love your last little comment. Exactly how I imagine them all. ;) Lots and lots of happy moments filled with laughter. :)Especially today, 31 Oct being Yasmin's 3rd birthday. lol ;)

Aww, I wish we could have seen her grow up...imagine what Chryed would have been like when she brought home her first boyfriend! :eek:
    Forum Member
    Aww, I wish we could have seen her grow up...imagine what Chryed would have been like when she brought home her first boyfriend! :eek:
    LOL ( what am I like? ) I still 'see' them every day, ( and every night ) in my imagination. It's all there, ( And no lousy scripts, OOCness, or unhappy story lines ).....it's perfect Chryed bliss.
  • CarlaBorregoCarlaBorrego Posts: 4,762
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    OK, have caught up to the end of yesterday's schedule.

I've just watched today's clips. Ugh, I don't like this Syed! It's the same with Christian's first clips, like they're still defining his character, leaving them many option where to go. This Syed seems shallow, which I don't recognise at all. He's got plenty of flaws our Syed, but shallow isn't one of them.

Early Syed is strange! Because he's supposed to be kind of cavalier, and insincere, and flirtatious, and these are things that his family think are characteristic of him... but yes, I suppose just finding their feet with the character. He did seem more recognisable to me by the last couple of clips I watched. Its just that he kept doing things I didn't like :p (flirting with Janine :( , taking Tambo's money :()

Can't remember which clip this was but I loved Tamwar and Syed's impressions of Zainab in the cafe. Something that is a regular feature later on too and always good fun.
    I love Zainab too. She's brilliant when she's good, although her character does have the caricature risk. But like she is in these clips, like I said, brilliant!

Yes, she seems less of a caricature here somehow - a bit softer, or more self-aware, or something. OK, maybe not self-aware.

Yes that did happen, though as you say probably best to block it out! :(

I just watched the clip where Syed is talking about Amira and saying 'all we do is laugh', and 'she makes me feel alive'. Ha. This stuff makes sense as part of his pretence that they're so in love, etc etc, and as I think somebody (or perhaps many people) once said, it is in a way easier for Syed to choose someone to whom he is poorly suited, and with whom he has such a superficial relationship. But the problem (as I remember it) about the incident you're describing is that it was written as though they really were supposed to be having a laugh, and had something to say to each other. Ick.
  • momentarythingmomentarything Posts: 20,139
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Early Syed is strange! Because he's supposed to be kind of cavalier, and insincere, and flirtatious, and these are things that his family think are characteristic of him... but yes, I suppose just finding their feet with the character. He did seem more recognisable to me by the last couple of clips I watched. Its just that he kept doing things I didn't like :p (flirting with Janine :( , taking Tambo's money :()

Can't remember which clip this was but I loved Tamwar and Syed's impressions of Zainab in the cafe. Something that is a regular feature later on too and always good fun.

Yes, she seems less of a caricature here somehow - a bit softer, or more self-aware, or something. OK, maybe not self-aware.

Yes that did happen, though as you say probably best to block it out! :(

I just watched the clip where Syed is talking about Amira and saying 'all we do is laugh', and 'she makes me feel alive'. Ha. This stuff makes sense as part of his pretence that they're so in love, etc etc, and as I think somebody (or perhaps many people) once said, it is in a way easier for Syed to choose someone to whom he is poorly suited, and with whom he has such a superficial relationship. But the problem (as I remember it) about the incident you're describing is that it was written as though they really were supposed to be having a laugh, and had something to say to each other. Ick.

I think part of the reason he seems a bit off (even taking into account the whole pretence thing, which covers a lot of the stuff that doesn't really match up later) is that they hadn't decided 100% that they were going with the Christian storyline, so they drop a few hints here and there, but it's mostly stuff that could be overlooked had they not chosen to pursue it. (This makes it even worse when they essentially regressed him back to this, because they weren't even really regressing him back to his early character, but a bit of a placeholder of a character...)

Imagine early Syed being Syed's actual character... I don't think I would've liked him much. Though I still think he would've been interesting, and obviously played by a great actor, he would've been a lot less complex. Unless they'd developed him in other ways, I guess.

Zainab's a lot better here than she becomes later... I don't know. She's still brilliant later on, but she's nowhere near as complex and nuanced. I feel like a lot of her likeability as a character later on is due to Nina's acting. I didn't really realise how 2D she'd become until I watched super early stuff. Ugh, BK.

LOL at 'you always knew how to make me laugh!!!!' (As a sidenote, I was randomly watching early stuff instead of sticking to the schedule, whoops, and Amira says something like 'I hardly ever see you' the first time she goes to the Masoods. Oh, yeah, there's that deep, life-long connection they always had. :rolleyes:)

I'm bored at work experience, sorry for length :sleep:
  • who me?who me? Posts: 17,195
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    :)*** Marc Alert ***:)

Marc is due to take part in the NT50 celebrations (National Theatre) The whole event is being broadcast live on BBC2 on Saturday night. There are some amazing people involved in this so I was going to watch anyway but obviously am extra looking forward to it now.

There are more details and links here;

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Marc-Elliott-Fansite/185730604858624

When I went to watch Othello broadcast live from the NT recently (it was amazing:)) they interviewed Nicholas Hytner about this event and he said they'd assembled the original History Boys for it which actually wouldn't have included Marc (or Matt Smith) as they were in the second and in Marc's case second and third groups of actors. I'm assuming he will appear in the History Boys segment but it's possible I suppose people will play in different roles and plays from the ones they originally appeared in for practical reasons (not everyone will be available)

Anyway definitely one for the diary. :) It was in mine already but it's underlined now.:D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 80
    Forum Member
    Hi everyone, Sorry I haven't kept up with my rewatch posts. I think I'll probably end up posting once a week or so about the old clips. Not too good with schedules, but still much appreciative of all the work that went into it! Thanks, Dessie!

I have still been watching the Canadian EE episodes every week day. It's now near the end of October 2011. In the latest ep that I watched, the evil Amira pretended that Yasmin had swallowed her ring, so that she could spend more time with Syed. Syed, of course, had lied to Christian about where he was, and at the end of the ep. Christian saw the picture of Sy, Amira and Yasmin turn up on Syed's phone. Poor Christian. :cry:

ETA This ep was also sad because Pat had a bad spell in the market and Whitney helped her get home. This means we're getting into Pat's final illness and the countdown to her death on New Year's.. She was always one of my faves,
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Good question, I'm not sure I remember him laughing. I think that suits the character though.

Lol, this is so weird that someone's mentioned it. I was like 'shut up, he laughs all the time, remember when he...' and really struggling. It's so odd because he was ridiculously happy for an EE character the majority of the time after he got with Christian properly. He was happier than Christian for most of 2011.

The one time I remember him properly laughing is when he and Tanya had packed in at Roxy's, and they were setting up in her living room and avoiding Roxy's phone call. But all the other times I can think of he was just smiling or chuckling a bit, not really full-on laughing. It's so weird because saying he never properly laughs makes him sound really miserable and he... wasn't, after reunion anyway.
  • DessieDessie Posts: 5,731
    Forum Member
    Hey, sorry I haven't been around! Real life's been frantic this week and I'm now about to go off on holiday for a week and a bit, so am very behind with the clips myself but am hoping to catch up. :) Glad to see some activity on the thread though, will try to hop online and post some thoughts when I can.

Absolutely, nobody feel they have to stick to the schedule I've put up - it's really more for myself than anything else, and as a suggestion for other people if they want to follow along!
    Lol, this is so weird that someone's mentioned it. I was like 'shut up, he laughs all the time, remember when he...' and really struggling. It's so odd because he was ridiculously happy for an EE character the majority of the time after he got with Christian properly. He was happier than Christian for most of 2011.

The one time I remember him properly laughing is when he and Tanya had packed in at Roxy's, and they were setting up in her living room and avoiding Roxy's phone call. But all the other times I can think of he was just smiling or chuckling a bit, not really full-on laughing. It's so weird because saying he never properly laughs makes him sound really miserable and he... wasn't, after reunion anyway.

This is...so true and so bizarre that I've never noticed it before, wow. I can't think of another time when he was properly laughing either, except maybe flour fight? Though even there I think I remember he's more just smiling and happy than full-on laughing.

But as you say, he's not a miserable character - it's just that when he's happy, he tends to do a kind of quiet, blissed-out thing rather than in your face laughter.
  • NomarfanNomarfan Posts: 142
    Forum Member
    Dessie wrote: »
    This is...so true and so bizarre that I've never noticed it before, wow. I can't think of another time when he was properly laughing either, except maybe flour fight? Though even there I think I remember he's more just smiling and happy than full-on laughing.

But as you say, he's not a miserable character - it's just that when he's happy, he tends to do a kind of quiet, blissed-out thing rather than in your face laughter.

Yes, he did laugh during the flour fight (just watched this clip last night).

Not a thing wrong with being quietly happy, I'm the same way actually. I don't think I would have noticed if I hadn't watched 2 clips that had Christian full on laughing and it made me wonder. I certainly never noticed when I watched the clips in order, so it's not a issue that sticks out. I wonder what other things I will notice that I missed the first time as I continue to watch more clips.
  • LovelyLauraLovelyLaura Posts: 50,041
    Forum Member
    Afternoon :)

If you enjoyed Johnny's performance as Zach in A Chorus Line this year you can nominate him as Best Actor in a Musical in the What's On Stage awards :) Link to nominate here: http://awards.whatsonstage.com/awards/nominations/the-radisson-blu-edwardian-best-actor-in-a-musical

I think it suits the character to be like that and Marc plays it so well....eg the ep after Chryed's reunion when Syed is so clearly all blissed out on Christian's love, he just looks so happy and content but in a subtle and quiet kind of way. It's funny though cos although he's a quiet kind of character in some ways, he has this kind of pent up anger that explodes in other ways like the "she makes me feel PHYSICALLY SICK" scene or when he's chucking Christian's clothes at him after finding out he's moving to America.
    Forum Member
    Afternoon :)

If you enjoyed Johnny's performance as Zach in A Chorus Line this year you can nominate him as Best Actor in a Musical in the What's On Stage awards :) Link to nominate here: http://awards.whatsonstage.com/awards/nominations/the-radisson-blu-edwardian-best-actor-in-a-musical

I think it suits the character to be like that and Marc plays it so well....eg the ep after Chryed's reunion when Syed is so clearly all blissed out on Christian's love, he just looks so happy and content but in a subtle and quiet kind of way. It's funny though cos although he's a quiet kind of character in some ways, he has this kind of pent up anger that explodes in other ways like the "she makes me feel PHYSICALLY SICK" scene or when he's chucking Christian's clothes at him after finding out he's moving to America.

Hi Laura, :)
    Yep. Syed was such a peaceful, loving soul, but that's exactly what happens with unassertive people like Syed, who haven't learned to take control of their lives. They silently resent the way people 'push them around', and resent their own inability to stand up for themselves, and then blow a fuse and explode/over react. I love the in depth study of the psychology behind the character of Syed that everyone must have done. His character was, by far, the most intricate, multi layered personality that I have seen on EE in all the years I have been watching. Extremely well researched, well written, (apart from the OOC rubbish), and very well presented by Marc. Syed had my total sympathy and empathy. I think all who had a hand in creating him are to be applauded.
  • shortiefluffshortiefluff Posts: 3,851
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hi all. Its been a while. Hood to see this thread going well. I thought it'd just fie a slow painful death but no its still going nearly a year after Chryed left which is brilliant.

EastEnders has been getting better recently and tonight should be good with Michael's death/murder. Hopefully a new producer and one who believes in what he does and writes for all characters well will turn things around. DTC will certainly know how each character should behave and I'd imagine less ooc behaviour and meaningless stories will even be talked about. There's been too many of them in recent times. I'm looking forward to the Carter's coming in as I like Shirley and I'm enjoying David and Ronnie's comebacks.

I'm 36 weeks now and I'm not enjoying this part as I did with the other 2. I've had a false alarm last week and now its just a waiting game until my babies make their entrance into the world. Jayden is one on the 11th and I'd like it over before then. I keep getting twinges but they don't come to much so that's frustrating. I didn't enjoy Lily's 2nd birthday on the 10th Oct and now everyday is getting more and more frustrating. I know its coming soon as you don't make your due date with twins which for me is the 28th but OMG I want these babies out now.

Sorry for the woe is me attitude. Hope everyone's well and enjoying their Chryed rewatch. I haven't been able to watch any what with 2 young kids and another end stage pregnancy to worry about.

To finish I don't believe I've told you that I'm having 2 boys this time so Jaydrn will have 2 playmates. Lily will feel left out so we'll hope for a girl when we try again, which we hope to be next year. It keeps them all close in age if we go again. If its another boy i'll scream. Im not enjoying being pregnant this time and we both really hope that my 4th pregnancy and our 5th child is a girl. Hopefully after these 2 are born really soon with any luck we can think of trying again.

Bye all. Speak soon when hopefully I'll have some news.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

It makes sense when you think about it, though. Like, on the flipside, how many times does he actually properly cry? Once, during 'how could I possibly feel worse than I do right now?' I mean, he tried to kill himself and came home to his mother setting fire to his clothes, and all he did was tear up. Like Laura says, the only time he really tends to lose control of his feelings is when he's angry. Marc is so good, though- you could always tell when he was absolutely devastated or ecstatically happy, even when he wasn't breaking down crying or jumping up and down with joy.

BiB: This is so well-put.
    Forum Member
    It makes sense when you think about it, though. Like, on the flipside, how many times does he actually properly cry? Once, during 'how could I possibly feel worse than I do right now?' I mean, he tried to kill himself and came home to his mother setting fire to his clothes, and all he did was tear up. Like Laura says, the only time he really tends to lose control of his feelings is when he's angry. Marc is so good, though- you could always tell when he was absolutely devastated or ecstatically happy, even when he wasn't breaking down crying or jumping up and down with joy.

BiB: This is so well-put.

Nicely put also. :)

Could anyone help out this 'new' old thing, and tell me what BiB stands for? :confused: Hope it's O.K. to ask here. :o
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Nicely put also. :)

Could anyone help out this 'new' old thing, and tell me what BiB stands for? :confused: Hope it's O.K. to ask here. :o

BiB = Bit in bold. :)
    Forum Member
    who me? wrote: »

AHA......It all makes sense... I can see it now. lol. Thanks SO much. Never too old to learn something new. :D

Back on the 'happy' topic, I absolutely LOVE the way Syed radiates bliss.
  • rome81rome81 Posts: 4,713
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hang in there shortiefluff!!

Ooooh, I thought I was behind because I wan't able to watch the clips yesterday, but I see there were none scheduled. Happy accident I think :D

Anyway, watched today's clips. I've never rewatched these pre-Chryed scenes and it's so weird to see Syed act so OOC. Today another example, "handling" Nick Cotton. Syed? Really??? Er, I don't think so :sleep:
    Random: had no idea Nick was in EE at this point :confused:

Early Syed is strange! Because he's supposed to be kind of cavalier, and insincere, and flirtatious, and these are things that his family think are characteristic of him... but yes, I suppose just finding their feet with the character. He did seem more recognisable to me by the last couple of clips I watched. Its just that he kept doing things I didn't like (flirting with Janine , taking Tambo's money )

Yes that did happen, though as you say probably best to block it out!

All I can say is he's not convincing me with his "ooooh I love her and we have such a laugh together". But again, how could he convince anyone after what we've seen between him and Christian.
    And yes, you're right, there are moments that seem very much like the Syed we know and love, even in these early clips. But it's not in any way consitent.
    I think part of the reason he seems a bit off (even taking into account the whole pretence thing, which covers a lot of the stuff that doesn't really match up later) is that they hadn't decided 100% that they were going with the Christian storyline, so they drop a few hints here and there, but it's mostly stuff that could be overlooked had they not chosen to pursue it. (This makes it even worse when they essentially regressed him back to this, because they weren't even really regressing him back to his early character, but a bit of a placeholder of a character...)

Imagine early Syed being Syed's actual character... I don't think I would've liked him much. Though I still think he would've been interesting, and obviously played by a great actor, he would've been a lot less complex. Unless they'd developed him in other ways, I guess.

Zainab's a lot better here than she becomes later... I don't know. She's still brilliant later on, but she's nowhere near as complex and nuanced. I feel like a lot of her likeability as a character later on is due to Nina's acting. I didn't really realise how 2D she'd become until I watched super early stuff. Ugh, BK.

LOL at 'you always knew how to make me laugh!!!!' (As a sidenote, I was randomly watching early stuff instead of sticking to the schedule, whoops, and Amira says something like 'I hardly ever see you' the first time she goes to the Masoods. Oh, yeah, there's that deep, life-long connection they always had. :rolleyes:)

I'm bored at work experience, sorry for length

I agree, I wouldn't have cared for this Syed either!
    Hey, sorry I haven't been around! Real life's been frantic this week and I'm now about to go off on holiday for a week and a bit, so am very behind with the clips myself but am hoping to catch up. Glad to see some activity on the thread though, will try to hop online and post some thoughts when I can.

Absolutely, nobody feel they have to stick to the schedule I've put up - it's really more for myself than anything else, and as a suggestion for other people if they want to follow along!

I was trying to remember him laughing as well but couldn't. But hey, if Dessie doesn't remember it, it didn't happen :cool:
    who me? wrote: »

Awww, that takes me back :)
    Someone should dig out CC's old newbie post :D

Want to bet I'll be getting the more than 10 smilies warning?

ETA: Yep I did. Sorry quoted people, had to eliminate most of your smilies to make room for mine :p
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 164
    Forum Member
    Thanks for the info who me, maybe we can see Marc I'll cross
    fingers
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thanks for the info who me, maybe we can see Marc I'll cross
    fingers

:) Hi yes I'll keep my everything crossed too.:D (well not my eyes:D)

It's a massive event and they are just scenes from the plays so we won't see too much I don't expect, the whole show sounds amazing. I never saw the History Boys so it is a real treat. And it must have been brilliant for Marc during rehearsals meeting old friends and also new ones probably.:) What a cast list!
  • rome81rome81 Posts: 4,713
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Right, just caught up on today's clips. So much better than yesterday's :)

Well, except for the fact that there's no Christian of course :sleep:

Syed is much more recognisable here. Although he's still all "oh but I LOVE her" about Amira :rolleyes: Of course he was. I mean, forget that he's gay (although no, actually don't), why on earth would he love someone like the Amira we've seen in these clips??? She's bitchy, , shallow, vain, looks down her nose at his family... Sure, such a lovable person :rolleyes:

Love how Syed basically says to Z (when trying to set him up with Bushra's daughters) that you can't force love and he'll know it when it comes. Yes he will :D
    I suppose the way he throws the word love around in these early scenes, and later on as well when he talks about Amira, is a significant contrast to how long it takes him to say that word to the person he REALLY loves.

Lovely to see Parveen again. Too bad she didn't get a bigger part later on, would have been interesting.
  • los.kavlos.kav Posts: 8,053
    Forum Member
    Did anyone else watch that BBC program about the National Theatre? Marc was in it! He was in the section that did a scene for the History Boys, with James Corden. :D:)