Call the Midwife Series Three Thread,

Comments

• Swanandduck2Swanandduck2 Posts: 5,502
    Forum Member
    I really hope they don't have a storyline where Shelagh abducts a new born baby and the midwives have to come rushing to the rescue (but I very much fear they might).
  • jamtamarajamtamara Posts: 2,250
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Talking about the possibility of Patsy being 'gay'. That term was not in general use in the early 60s. This does not mean that she couldn't have been or wasn't but did you know ( I didn't until last week ) that until 1972/3 in America homosexuality was listed as a mental disorder? You could even have received ECT and other treatments for it at Belle Vue Hospital in America. Not surprisingly it led to depression, anxiety and so on in itself and also led to linking homosexuality with these disorders themselves - a sort of paradox.

I am nearly 70 and have only just admitted to my bisexual/lesbian feelings, having been married twice with three children, one very very early miscarriage and one abortion in all. I am in therapy about this at the moment i.e. the lesbian/mixed feeelings themselves.
  • jamtamarajamtamara Posts: 2,250
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Of course it is, and I was simply sticking up for her because I found some of the criticism (not necessarily solely from you) a bit harsh. :(

I wish they had developed her character differently this series, I really do. The Turnadette romance was such a big draw in series two and the writers haven't really done it justice in series 3 IMHO. I don't think they've even shared a kiss yet!

I agree. It does seem to have veered off course in this respect. Perhaps It was trying to show how mental illness was viewed more narrowly in that era, who knows?

Yes they must have shared a kiss or two albeit not with us>:(:cry::( if they have been 'trying for a baby' another newish term for someone of my vintage. It was more 'trying not to have one' that was the problem back in the day. :D
  • duckyluckyduckylucky Posts: 13,852
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Of course it is, and I was simply sticking up for her because I found some of the criticism (not necessarily solely from you) a bit harsh. :(

I wish they had developed her character differently this series, I really do. The Turnadette romance was such a big draw in series two and the writers haven't really done it justice in series 3 IMHO. I don't think they've even shared a kiss yet!

I agree with you , the writers / producers/ directors let them down this series ,They were a dynamic and happy part of the show and now on a path of dreariness .
  • duckyluckyduckylucky Posts: 13,852
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    jamtamara wrote: »
    Talking about the possibility of Patsy being 'gay'. That term was not in general use in the early 60s. This does not mean that she couldn't have been or wasn't but did you know ( I didn't until last week ) that until 1972/3 in America homosexuality was listed as a mental disorder? You could even have received ECT and other treatments for it at Belle Vue Hospital in America. Not surprisingly it led to depression, anxiety and so on in itself and also led to linking homosexuality with these disorders themselves - a sort of paradox.

I am nearly 70 and have only just admitted to my bisexual/lesbian feelings, having been married twice with three children, one very very early miscarriage and one abortion in all. I am in therapy about this at the moment i.e. the lesbian/mixed feeelings themselves.

I wish you the very best and that you find peace within yourself and acceptance from those around you .
  • attackmusicattackmusic Posts: 3,828
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Sorry to hear that :( I am bisexual and it took me a while to admit it. Sadly some gay people are really hypocritical when it comes to bisexual people, so it can be tough.

If they do explore patsy being gay I hope they don't sugar coat it, it would have been even tougher in those days to admit. I have no doubt that Trixie et al would probably be accepting, but others wouldn't. I love Trixie and now I am not sure if I want her and the dishy vicar or her and patsy ;-) maybe they will pair Cynthia with patsy, she hasn't had a romance though I seem to recall her talking about men in a romantic fashion :confused:

I know some people on here dislikeJenny. But while she isn't the most interesting character for me but I don't have any issue with her being back. It was nice for some of the others to get more stories though :) I don't get the Sheila complaints either, I don't find her annoying. The way she was acting was understandable IMO.
  • seejay63seejay63 Posts: 8,800
    Forum Member
    maybe they will pair Cynthia with patsy, she hasn't had a romance though I seem to recall her talking about men in a romantic fashion :confused:

The real Cynthia got married.
  • attackmusicattackmusic Posts: 3,828
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    seejay63 wrote: »
    The real Cynthia got married.

Yeah I know I meant it as more of a joke :p poor Cynthia hasn't had any action yet. Seems strange that Patrick and shelagh haven't even kissed yet.
  • tennismantennisman Posts: 4,484
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I can almost imagine them sleeping in their day clothes and when the alarm rings in the morning, them both throwing back the bedclothes and getting up and walking about as if they never went to bed :D

Despite what I said a few posts back about how by definition, a drama has to be filled with issues and conflicts, I actually quite like it that things are not running smoothly for lots of the characters and this is not because I have a secret desire to experience schadenfreude at their expense but because even if some of it is a bit squeezed up, it's more real.

If everything ran too smoothly, it would turn into a sugary sweet fantasy.

And things are not smooth. People are complex, as are these characters and life is usually not straightforward, especially in the East End at that time with all the social, economic and political, let alone medical/healthcare change going on.

For me, the core of the CTM books and series 1 and 2 was so much about the huge challenges that the area and its' people faced and how they dealt with it. In fact, for me, it was the dealing with it which was / is so inspirational.

Jenny Worth's character is being depicted now with more purpose.

While many of her former colleagues may not be smiling quite so much at the moment for various reasons, Jenny has actually returned with a happier persona than before; she's accepted and got used to the East End and the style of work where before, it was alien to her.

As I said before, too much sacharin or too much conflict and grief would not work and overall I think the new writer has done a pretty good job.

Dr T's post war hospitalisation is another new issue of the time raised in the programme and it fits, I think.

Another point for me, is that the writer (s) have a map of the series and we are ignorant of it until the last episode unfolds.

Of course, we will make comments about it all as each episode goes by and I feel stuff just like everyone else on here but I think the end results have to be seen as well as the weekly grappling (or not in the case of Turnerdette:p).

Now, back to the image of Dr T and Shelagh sleeping in fixed positions in winceyette pyjamas as if they are Count and Countess Dracula awaiting the dark of the night.:D
  • Michellet1Michellet1 Posts: 28
    Forum Member
    I'd agree to that Shelagh hasn't perhaps been developed enough this series apart from being tied to a kitchen sink and the occasional reception shift. I can't say she's my favourite character and that relationship (to me) doesn't feel hugely natural.

There hasn't been a great deal of depth to her at all, but then thinking about it where could they take a habitless former nun? (not exactly pole dancing! next step was a child and this is a real life drama after all) it was a bit "you had war neurosis? Now where's those application forms" but that's a writing and time issue rather than a slight on the character.

Perhaps next week it will be more to do with his history as it does feel as though the storyline had been sped though, but realistically where could she go? I can't imagine that someone who renounced their vows would be welcomed back by the Mothership that easily.

The Turnadette relationship was built up heavily in S2 and in occasionally scary places like Tumblr/fanfiction and I wonder if its because there has been so much additional online activity about it that because the relationship isn't going the way people want it to (i.e the missing kiss... which I would admit is a bit weird for a married couple) that what is happening on screen is a bit of a disappointment/not whats been built up in their heads.

I quite like the idea that Heidi has gone all 'No sex please we're Midwives'. Goes to show you can make cracking television without bodice ripping and everyone slobbering all over each other :D

I would personally hate it though if the writers turned the show into fan service because a minority got p'd off that their favourites aren't going the way they want them to (not criticizing any one on here :) as this thread has always been one of the most eloquent and reasoned ones out there!)

the actual physical adoption of a child/baby is this years Christmas special in waiting though and perhaps that would make it all the more sweet?

Patsy being 'gay' went completely over my head and I quite like Lady Browne being back to inject a bit of venom.
    although judging by next weeks summary on the Beeb's website she might not be around for long
  • Michellet1Michellet1 Posts: 28
    Forum Member
    tennisman wrote: »
    PS Not sure I like modern TV's habit of doing the 'Next time' clips. I will watch it regardless. Actually, it's a bit irritating to be teased with such clips as 'Jenny's got some news....' which as is often the way will be nothing more that something like she's given up sugar in her tea!!!

Last week, we were shown the clip suggesting issue between the nurses over the vicar and actually, it was a storm in a tea cup and resolved very quickly in the script.

BIG, BIG DRAMA COMING:o.....Actually, its not so big....Oh.:confused:

and that bit about Chummy being embarrassed about their house was resolved in a split second but made to sound so much more in the light of marital squabbles in the previous weeks, even though you could in retrospect see it was to set up the thing with the cat ornament and her taciturn message that even if the ornament was a bit cheap (?) it was given with love and she wasn't ashamed of her choice to be in Poplar.

I bet Jenny's big news is she's lost her pinard! :D

Off for a rewatch on the iplayer if only because the blimmin' cable locked up when Lady Browne spewed and I was left with a frozen image of green phlegm (sorry for those having their tea!!) for longer than I desired :p.
  • TouristaTourista Posts: 14,338
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    duckylucky wrote: »
    Yes I thought so too . Did she say he had some bits or parts she diesnt fancy ! ?

They are laying the groundwork for a future episode in my mind, with Patsy being "found out" by one of the staff.

As for Dr Turner, I would seriously doubt that they would be acceptable as adopters, especially from a church organisation such as the one they are using as mental "stability" was seen as essential in prospective families along with any criminal past.
  • tiggosaurustiggosaurus Posts: 3,653
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tourista wrote: »
    They are laying the groundwork for a future episode in my mind, with Patsy being "found out" by one of the staff.

As for Dr Turner, I would seriously doubt that they would be acceptable as adopters, especially from a church organisation such as the one they are using as mental "stability" was seen as essential in prospective families along with any criminal past.

Hmm... well his 'war neurosis' was treated 15 years previously and he has been practicing as a respected and trusted G.P. since then without any signs of relapsing (I presume!), so it would be extraordinarily harsh to reject him on the grounds of his war experience. Not saying it won't happen, just that it seems a tad over-zealous. :confused:
  • TouristaTourista Posts: 14,338
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hmm... well his 'war neurosis' was treated 15 years previously and he has been practicing as a respected and trusted G.P. since then without any signs of relapsing (I presume!), so it would be extraordinarily harsh to reject him on the grounds of his war experience. Not saying it won't happen, just that it seems a tad over-zealous. :confused:

Certainly in the late 60's any mental illness was seen as a no no as far as local authorities were concerned if you wanted to adopt or even foster a child.

My aunt wanted to adopt but as her husband had been treated years before for depression they refused them point blank. Social services even wrote to them saying that there would be no way they would allow them to foster either because of his previous illness.
  • azizrasulazizrasul Posts: 47
    Forum Member
    Does anyone know the two songs that appear in the first episode of the new season aired on Sunday the 19th of Jan 2014? The first song appears 20 minutes in the programme and the second song in 40 minutes.
    Forum Member

It seems awful, doesn't it, that someone who fought for his country was then discriminated against because of the emotional effect it had on him. I do like the way CTM shows how the effects of the war reverberated well into peace time - running parallel to the rebuilding of a new and rejuvenated society.

I think it's time Cynthia was given a decent storyline. She's always hovering helpfully in the background, but 3 series in and we know hardly anything about her.
  • seejay63seejay63 Posts: 8,800
    Forum Member
    I think it's time Cynthia was given a decent storyline. She's always hovering helpfully in the background, but 3 series in and we know hardly anything about her.

I agree. They need to write in some romance for her.
    Forum Member
    seejay63 wrote: »
    I agree. They need to write in some romance for her.

Or give her a personal dilemma to deal with; or an interesting back story that comes out; or a major disagreement with one of the other characters. If I was the actress playing her I'd be getting a bit fed up by now.
  • tiggosaurustiggosaurus Posts: 3,653
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    azizrasul wrote: »
    Does anyone know the two songs that appear in the first episode of the new season aired on Sunday the 19th of Jan 2014? The first song appears 20 minutes in the programme and the second song in 40 minutes.

I saw a site referenced on the Call the Midwife facebook page where a retired viewer has been cataloging the songs used in each episode. This is the Series 3 page:

http://easyretirement.blogspot.co.uk/2014/01/songs-from-call-midwife-series-3.html

Hopefully it's got info on the songs you're looking for. :)
  • loddellboshloddellbosh Posts: 5,315
    Forum Member
    I'm sure there was something in last week's episode which made me question Patsy's sexuality, or maybe she just pinged my gaydar, but this week she just made me think 'Ah, she's a lesbian'.

This kind of storyline would be interesting to see as they haven't covered anything like it yet.
  • sazuburnssazuburns Posts: 317
    Forum Member
    Michellet1 wrote: »

I bet Jenny's big news is she's lost her pinard! :D

Lol, I don't think so. I've looked at next week's Radio Times and...
    there is a character whose surname is Worth, which as we know is the married name of Jenny Lee.
    Forum Member
    You're right. Apparently his name is Philip Worth, and that was the name of Jenny Lee's real life husband. Blimey, she wasn't long moving on. In real life, they didn't get married until 1963, so maybe we won't see an engagement until the next series and the announcement is about something totally different.
  • kat180kat180 Posts: 911
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You're right. Apparently his name is Philip Worth, and that was the name of Jenny Lee's real life husband. Blimey, she wasn't long moving on. In real life, they didn't get married until 1963, so maybe we won't see an engagement until the next series and the announcement is about something totally different.

Lol - wouldn't surprise me. Her repetitive voiceover about 'her wound' and 'broken heart', comparing her situation to the grief a woman feels when loosing a child, is really getting on my last nerves. It just comes across as so self pitying and not at all sincere.
  • teresagreenteresagreen Posts: 16,444
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

duckylucky wrote: »
    I wish you the very best and that you find peace within yourself and acceptance from those around you .

I wholeheartedly second that. :)
  • xNATILLYxxNATILLYx Posts: 6,509
    Forum Member
    sazuburns wrote: »
    Lol, I don't think so. I've looked at next week's Radio Times and...
    there is a character whose surname is Worth, which as we know is the married name of Jenny Lee.

That is interesting. And here was me thinking she was going to be pregnant or something like that.

It was better this week , i thought last weeks was a bit dull nothing much happened. It was quite a touching story with the woman with the mental health problem. I also thought Patsy is 'gay' , it came across that way to me. And i think that would be a great storyline , I wasn't alive at that time so it would be eye opening and interesting to have a gay character and see peoples reactions. It will be something a bit different for the show.