Options

EE- illnesses replacing affairs as a plot device

boddismboddism Posts: 16,436
Forum Member
✭✭
Is it me or have illnesses/hospitalisations just gone insanely through the roof in EE in the last few months?? I know theyve invested in new sets but theyve been getting their moneys worth out of the new hospital sets!!

In recent months we've had:

Carol's cancer
Stan in hosp
Sharon's attack
David's heart attack
Patrick's stroke

Upcoming:

kats birth
Jeans hospitalisation
Slater fire & casualties

I suspect TPTB have heard the publics message that endless affairs are a bore on EE & swapped them for endless illnesses instead!

Indeed by usual standards we are kinda low on affairs at the mo. We have Max (naturally) & Ian at the mo with a few others bubbling under. But by EE standards kinda low on affairs.

Comments

• Options
    attitude99attitude99 Posts: 14,848
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think Corrie more than make up for EE's 'affairs' the amount that have been on screen recently.
  • Options
    MrJamesMrJames Posts: 8,127
    Forum Member
    I'm actually quite proud of EastEnders with the way they've got rid of an over-reliance on affair plots.

Only Carol and Patrick's stories are real illness stories. Everything else is a hospitalization as a result of something else.
  • Options
    Joe_ZelJoe_Zel Posts: 20,832
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    When they're using the hospital sets as much as Corrie and Hollyoaks then it's a problem. :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    MrJames wrote: »
    I'm actually quite proud of EastEnders with the way they've got rid of an over-reliance on affair plots.

Only Carol and Patrick's stories are real illness stories. Everything else is a hospitalization as a result of something else.

THey've kinda painted themselves into a corner affair wise.
    We've been given a very loud "no more affairs" message from the direction of Kat & Alfie (I expect this will last a while longer).
    Max's numerous affairs are obviously becoming tiresome.
    No indication that Mick & Linda will split up anytime soon.

So instead we've got Ian being the **** at the mo.

everyone else is awaiting their turn to visit Walford General!:D
  • Options
    Sez_babeSez_babe Posts: 133,998
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I'll take any storyline above affairs in EE. I'm a Hollyoaks fan but so many characters are cheating or have cheated and it takes to enjoyment out of liking couples as you know it probably won't last for long!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,885
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Dont forget Lola's amazing low speed car accident, that was good for at least one ep in hospital lol

The hospitalisations feel much more natural to me than random names in a hat getting together or having affairs so I am not complaining!
  • Options
    GeekInfectedGeekInfected Posts: 6,372
    Forum Member
    Lee two timed both Whitney and Lucy. Peter and Lauren shared a kiss that Lola still doesn't know about. Ian has cheated on Denise with both Jane and Rainie. Summerhayes is cheating on her fiancé with Max. Phil's about to embark on an affair with Shirley.

Hardly affair free if we're being frank…
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Lee two timed both Whitney and Lucy. Peter and Lauren shared a kiss that Lola still doesn't know about. Ian has cheated on Denise with both Jane and Rainie. Summerhayes is cheating on her fiancé with Max. Phil's about to embark on an affair with Shirley.

Hardly affair free if we're being frank…

I did say some were bubbling under. Affair wise currently its just Ian & Max. That's not many.
  • Options
    Kim_xKim_x Posts: 3,635
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Didn't Summerhayes say she'd recently split with her fiance? Still an affair in terms of secretly seeing someone who really should have fallen under suspicion though.
  • Options
    GeekInfectedGeekInfected Posts: 6,372
    Forum Member
    boddism wrote: »
    I did say some were bubbling under. Affair wise currently its just Ian & Max. That's not many.

And Peter & Lauren, because even though they haven't carried on since the kiss, Lola is still unaware of the illicit infidelity. :D
    Kim_x wrote: »
    Didn't Summerhayes say she'd recently split with her fiance? Still an affair in terms of secretly seeing someone who really should have fallen under suspicion though.

I think she said something along the lines of them "going through problems" or "working things out" but seeing as we haven't heard anything of this since - I can guess she's enjoying a little bit on the side