Options

iPhone 6 Live discussion 6pm Tuesday 9th September 2014

Comments

• Options
    alanwarwicalanwarwic Posts: 28,396
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It is interesting the watch concept.

Apple put out simple basic things well, whilst Google tend to go for rocket science.
    But maybe this time, for a first effort, the Moto 360 is rocket science blended with basics.

We don't really need a round smartwatch, but it is certainly not alien to our perception of what a watch should be.
  • Options
    Funk YouFunk You Posts: 6,864
    Forum Member
    https://www.facebook.com/9gag/photos/a.109041001839.105995.21785951839/10152670232931840/?type=1&theater

Any truth in this? if so hahaha! your paying for a 2 year old phone.
  • Options
    jonmorrisjonmorris Posts: 21,774
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    tdenson wrote: »
    That's an interesting slant from the king of conspiracies. I thought you would have said that Apple would play up the 2GB to coerce poor Apple 5S owners into upgrading yet again against their will.

I doubt a lot of iPhone owners would appreciate the importance of more RAM, other than a higher number being better - but Apple would have to show that in some sort of graph or bar chart, and clearly find a way to say that it makes something nnn% better.

That's why I think Apple prefers not to mention things like RAM or how big the battery is, or even much detail on the CPU.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    kidspud wrote: »
    I've read a number of the initial hands on reviews, and most of them state that the watch looks far slimmer in real life than how the promotional pictures look.

I will need to see it in real life.

I guess if you put it on tight enough, it will press into your skin and give the look of being slimmer. I wonder if it will then leave an imprint from those sensors on the back?!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Stiggles wrote: »
    Yet a comment from ive confirms for you people apparently don't wear watches!! :D

Well, my wife doesn't wear a watch (she always forgets to put it on) and my son doesn't. So in this household of 3, it's only me.

However, I still see plenty of people with watches. I tend to spot them, especially the fancier ones where I sometimes assume that the wearer wants me to see it!

As I said before, maybe youngsters won't see a need for a watch now, but I doubt many people who have worn a watch since being a kid woke up one day and stopped - even when they started to carry a mobile phone with them every day.

Jony Ive is clearly wrong on this.
  • Options
    StigStig Posts: 12,446
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Funk You wrote: »

Responding to other similar posts: it's not all about the numbers in the specifications. You can make a bigger screen, and increase the number of pixels, but that doesn't necessarily make for a better user experience. As a comparison; a cheap full HD LCD TV can have a much worse picture than a 720p plasma TV. A CPU can have a higher clock speed, but doesn't have as smooth a UI as a phone with a lower powered CPU (Windows Phones are a prime example of this).

Apple focus on the user experience, and a quality feel to a product. Look at how many people were complaining about the build quality of the Samsung Galaxy S3.

As for innovation; I repeat comments above about smart-watches: everyone know Apple was working on one, so other companies worked to get theirs out first. The crown and UI on the Apple Watch is an attempt to make the device more usable. As for the design; it's a little chunky for me, but I wouldn't say it was ugly.
  • Options
    Kenny MacleanKenny Maclean Posts: 1,318
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Delete: Was using a BBC news link from 2010. :blush:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Stig wrote: »
    Responding to other similar posts: it's not all about the numbers in the specifications. You can make a bigger screen, and increase the number of pixels, but that doesn't necessarily make for a better user experience. As a comparison; a cheap full HD LCD TV can have a much worse picture than a 720p plasma TV. A CPU can have a higher clock speed, but doesn't have as smooth a UI as a phone with a lower powered CPU (Windows Phones are a prime example of this).

Apple focus on the user experience, and a quality feel to a product. Look at how many people were complaining about the build quality of the Samsung Galaxy S3.

As for innovation; I repeat comments above about smart-watches: everyone know Apple was working on one, so other companies worked to get theirs out first. The crown and UI on the Apple Watch is an attempt to make the device more usable. As for the design; it's a little chunky for me, but I wouldn't say it was ugly.

But people these days go for all these specs. Im an Android user and have an Xperia, its not a big phone and it does what it does nicely. Those who are banging on about how the iPhone 6 is the best yet it just tickled me that a phone from 2 years ago has exactly the same specs! :D

User experience seems to me that Samsung is winning and Apple has been failing for a while and now they think they have come up with a good new phone is in fact copying another phone from years ago. How is this good user experience? just seems people are blinded by the brand and will buy anything.
  • Options
    calico_piecalico_pie Posts: 10,060
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Stiggles wrote: »
    Yet a comment from ive confirms for you people apparently don't wear watches!! :D

On the not wearing watches thing.

I definitely think its true that fewer people bother wearing a watch these days, largely because people have become so dependent on their phones, which, amongst other things, tell you what time it is.

As I said before about smart watches - that's a big reason why I think they're going to be such a hard sell.
  • Options
    simasima Posts: 1,464
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Did I miss them saying that the phones and watch are waterproof or at least water resistant? Would not like to have a watch that would die if it got wet.

the watch should be for exercising depends on the sensors it has, anyway the only way i'll get the watch is if they give me a free phone (you need phone for gps & wifi on the watch)

so i'm out before its launched, I'll stick with me garmin that i can get sweaty
  • Options
    Stuart_hStuart_h Posts: 5,311
    Forum Member

But the first smart watches came out years ago.... Are you suggesting that pebble copied apple ? And Sony ?

Funny guy ;)

Edit: Everyone knew apple were working on bigger screens too and 'snuck those in first' .... And NFC ..... And waterproof phones .....
  • Options
    calico_piecalico_pie Posts: 10,060
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    jonmorris wrote: »
    Well, my wife doesn't wear a watch (she always forgets to put it on) and my son doesn't. So in this household of 3, it's only me.

However, I still see plenty of people with watches. I tend to spot them, especially the fancier ones where I sometimes assume that the wearer wants me to see it!

As I said before, maybe youngsters won't see a need for a watch now, but I doubt many people who have worn a watch since being a kid woke up one day and stopped - even when they started to carry a mobile phone with them every day.

Jony Ive is clearly wrong on this.

I don't think he literally meant that no-one wears a watch anymore.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Stuart_h wrote: »
    But the first smart watches came out years ago.... Are you suggesting that pebble copied apple ? And Sony ?

Funny guy ;)

This is the funny thing... Apple come out with these new things but the idea has already been done years ago :D this is why it seems to me that people are blinded by the brand and will buy any old shit they put out. If they sold a turd for £900 with an Apple logo on it users would flock to the shops to buy.
  • Options
    Dan SetteDan Sette Posts: 5,816
    Forum Member
    Funk You wrote: »

Sadly predictable.

Equally Android doesn't have the features that I use (and need) everyday. So, guess what, I chose a phone that is a tool, not a fashion accessory or provides limited bragging rights.

Free upgrades anyone?
  • Options
    innitrichieinnitrichie Posts: 9,795
    Forum Member
    clonmult wrote: »
    The majority of people? No, a minority as Apples sales aren't close to the overall sales of Android.

And in general, ask anyone who has just bought any new device, be it an iPhone, Lumia, Samsung, Sony, HTC, etc. and they'll say that they love it.

Apple has about 32% of the entire UK market when measured against sales of EVERYTHING else including ALL the Android handsets from ALL the different Android device makers, Windows Phone, etc. This measure includes the dirt cheap stuff that sells for less than £150 unlocked versus the Apple premium.

One wonders how Tim Cook must sleep at night suffering such a crushing defeat by all the competition combined. :D
  • Options
    Kenny MacleanKenny Maclean Posts: 1,318
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Using your phone etc for the time is fine until the battery dies. Maybe that's why everyone is late all the time now ;)
  • Options
    innitrichieinnitrichie Posts: 9,795
    Forum Member
    I see a lot that will keep existing iPhone users locked into the ecosystem, but nothing that will really tempt Android owners in.

I've seen a lot of Android users on social media saying that will be switching back to iPhone now they have the option of a much bigger iOS device. Obviously the Android diehards won't be buying iPhones, but I believe Apple is going to comfortably break all sales records with these new devices and easily exceed analyst expectations.
  • Options
    Si_CreweSi_Crewe Posts: 40,202
    Forum Member

S'funny how when a product has better spec's people will always use that to suggest it's "better" but when it doesn't they'll claim that something as subjective and ephemeral as "user experience" is more important.

As for the watch, I kinda think the problem is that the manufacturers are all just "going through the motions" until they can find an LCD screen manufacturer who'll be willing to provide something a bit more innovative than we're currently seeing.
  • Options
    wavejockglwwavejockglw Posts: 10,596
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The iPhone 6 is a huge disappointment. It's style over substance with a pretty lacklustre display, same old 8MP camera, no great advance on the front camera, NFC after years of it being available elsewhere and not even 1080p video unless you buy the 6 with the bigger 5.5 inch screen.

It's hard to compare specifications of the key components as Apple have deliberately not stated what the specification of the A8 processor is. Nor have they made public the amount and type of RAM. I suspect both will be like the screens well short of the performance of their Android competitors. Unless anyone can prove otherwise.

iPhone 6 looks like the point where Apple have dropped the ball and are relying on brand loyalty and style.
  • Options
    Anika HansonAnika Hanson Posts: 15,629
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Oh dear there is no length Apple fans will go to in trying to promote their favourite as innovative and leading edge.

The Apple watch is nice and might be better than all the watches released thus far however Apple did not have the idea first.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The iPhone 6 is a huge disappointment. It's style over substance with a pretty lacklustre display, same old 8MP camera, no great advance on the front camera, NFC after years of it being available elsewhere and not even 1080p video unless you buy the 6 with the bigger 5.5 inch screen.

It's hard to compare specifications of the key components as Apple have deliberately not stated what the specification of the A8 processor is. Nor have they made public the amount and type of RAM. I suspect both will be like the screens well short of the performance of their Android competitors. Unless anyone can prove otherwise.

iPhone 6 looks like the point where Apple have dropped the ball and are relying on brand loyalty and style.

I agree the phone is bland. I think the resolution on the 4.7 is ridiculous in 2014. What makes it worse is that it has the same ppi as the 4 inch iPhone which already pales in comparison to its competitors. Imagine the same ppi on a bigger display:(

The A8 will probably be solid as most Apple processors are and the camera will probably be good. However I just think that the upgrade was lame, considering that it brought things that other devices have had for years and failed to even bring the iPhone level with competing android devices let alone get ahead.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,837
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    aurichie wrote: »
    That's one hell of an assumption. I think if you ask the hundreds upon hundreds of millions of existing iPhone users if they think their device has been value for money the answer would be a resounding yes. And most of them won't hesitate to upgrade this year to take advantage of all the new enhancements and technologies in the iPhone 6/6+. That's people voting with their wallets in their masses.

iPhone has insanely great customer satisfaction ratings. Something like 98% of iPhone users are very satisfied with their purchase. People wouldn't feel like that if they felt their device was poor value for money.

I have an iPhone.

I know for the specs, it's not value for money.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 13,367
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Apparently Visa Europe have confirmed that Apple Pay will be coming to the UK, though no word on when.

I also read that Apple aren't taking a cut, but not sure how true that is.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Having the "crown" on the right side of the watch makes it difficult and cumbersome to operate for anyone who chooses to wear their watch on their right arm. I'm not about to swap the wrist I've worn my watch on my entire life just for "arm notifications". I'll stick with the phone.

The crown is not very intuitive. We are used to touching displays to navigate. Also I'm sure it will be fidily. When I need to change the time on my watch I can often find it a bit tricky Manoeuvring my arm to get to the dial. Imagine having to do this all the time to interact with the device.
  • Options
    jonner101jonner101 Posts: 3,410
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The crown is not very intuitive. We are used to touching displays to navigate. Also I'm sure it will be fidily. When I need to change the time on my watch I can often find it a bit tricky Manoeuvring my arm to get to the dial. Imagine having to do this all the time to interact with the device.

I like the idea of a control to prevent you having to obscure the screen.

However it looked pretty awkward for the people demoing the watch after the event. I think it would be much easier if this was done by a rotating bezel, but this would only work on a circular watch.