Problems with girlfriend's friend

Leicester_HunkLeicester_Hunk Posts: 18,316
Forum Member
✭✭
This mate of my girlfriend's is coming round a lot asking for help. She left her husband about 5 years ago, but last year her father died and she inherited the house. She left the husband because he was drinking, lost his job and they had the house repossessed because he couldn't pay the mortgage because of no job and nobody would give him one because of the drink problem. They were both rehoused separately by the council.

So when she inherited her father's house she invited him to come back which he did like a shot. He still has no job, spends all his benefit money on booze and **** and is vile to her when the money runs out and he can't buy booze and **** and asks her for money. She is also not well with pancreatitis. God knows why she did this, because she felt sorry for him, she says. She's got through the inheritance money like a dose of salts.

It's getting my gf down and I have told her that she needs to step back but still support her if she can.

Can this woman chuck the husband out of the house? It is all in her name not joint names. I think she can't because they are still married..... it's a mess ......................

Comments

• Toby LaRhoneToby LaRhone Posts: 12,916
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    She left him because he's a drunk and five years later he's still a drunk yet she asked him back?
    There's a big chunk of story missing.
  • Leicester_HunkLeicester_Hunk Posts: 18,316
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    She left him because he's a drunk and five years later he's still a drunk yet she asked him back?
    There's a big chunk of story missing.

You could well be right but we don't know what it is
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You could well be right but we don't know what it is
    She seems to have told your girlfriend an awful lot so they must have talked in depth.
  • lozengerlozenger Posts: 4,881
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes she is quite within her rights to simply tell him to leave, the house is hers, they've been separated for years and sounds like he doesnt have the wherewithall to contest in any case. He doesnt have a leg to stand on.

She probably won't though. :(
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    She seems to have told your girlfriend an awful lot so they must have talked in depth.

The whole circle of friends know what happened with the house because they have known one another for quite some time, but not in "intimate" detail.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,486
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They are a basically losers/wasters.

Just dont get involved mate!!!! This is one your GF's gonna have to get through alone!!
  • maxsimaxsi Posts: 2,412
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It depends how long he has lived there and whether they are still married?
    Surely half of it is his if they aren't divorced?
    He however sounds a desperate man and may well sign something to say I will leave if you give me £10,000 for example and then she would be free of ties.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    He has lived there about a year, and they are still legally married.

She inherited it from her father when he died last year at which time they were separated but not divorced.
  • soulboy77soulboy77 Posts: 24,456
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If they divorce then the husband will be entitled to half the property. A friend of mine was in the middle of divorcing her husband and her mum died leaving her a house. Despite the fact that the divorce was already underway the value of the mum's house had to be taken into consideration as the husband was unemployed.
  • maxsimaxsi Posts: 2,412
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sounds like legally he is entitled to half the house .... Guess she needs to have a serious discussion with him to sort this all out.
    She can ask him to leave but that won't change the problem!
  • delazarousdelazarous Posts: 503
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    They are a basically losers/wasters.

Just dont get involved mate!!!! This is one your GF's gonna have to get through alone!!
    Most people want to support their partner, if they care about them.
  • Frankie_LittleFrankie_Little Posts: 9,271
    Forum Member
    Does the woman want to support her husband to stop drinking? Al-Anon might be helpful for her.
  • bluebladeblueblade Posts: 88,859
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    She was extremely foolish to invite him back into the house she inherited from her late Father.

I agree with the poster who said best not get involved - this is No Win City, arizona. Keep out !!!
  • TakaeTakae Posts: 13,555
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sounds like she has self-esteem issues. Perhaps your girlfriend could encourage her to seek a counsellor to help sorting out her emotions/head. Perhaps this will help her to have a clearer picture of what she wants and needs, which in turn could help her knowing what to do with that piece of dead weight.

As for the legal aspect, best to seek advice from a charity like Citizens Advice Bureau.
  • IqoniqIqoniq Posts: 6,299
    Forum Member
    I'm wondering if the house is the reason she's asked him back. As other's have said if they divorced he'd have a claim to the house, and if he's done the old "well I'll file for divorce...", she's probably got back with him purely for this. A house is a pretty big way of remembering someone, and my wife occasionally mentions buying her parent's house from them so she doesn't lose "where she grew up".

It sounds like the husband has landed on his feet and it's been win-win for him. He can continue drinking, smoking and being a cant to his wife, and if she tells him to leave, he's walking off with a nice big pay out.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Girlfriend has logged on to find a long email from this woman. The husband walked out over the weekend after drinking 16 cans of lager. He went to the council and asked to be rehoused. He came back saying that he was entitled to half the house and half of everything else. He has told her he will take her to the cleaners.

They were actually separated for a lot longer than 5 years, and she inherited the house before they got back together.

My gf has told her to go to the CAB to start with.
  • TogglerToggler Posts: 4,592
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Avoid CAB. very worthy folks but this needs a free meeting with a local family law solicitor.

The drunk wasn't so much green as cabbage looking was he ..... poor woman 20/20 hindsight is a great thing.

However, at one time I seemed to have a collection of lame duck female chums who really sucked all the life out of me. The resident Mr Toggler at the time got really difficult with me having friends and as a result I didn't dump the lame ducks. However, over a period of time I could see that the problems some of the people had were of their own making, they kept doing the same things over again with the same result and were in fact the authors of their own misfortune.

So all my agonising and advice was pointless. Direct this lady to the free lawyer and advise her indoors to step back. The chum could have got a divorce, instead she invited the husband back, and if he's entitled to half the house, so be it. She did it of her own free will and if it was a mistake, well she should have thought first and this is the price many of us pay.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yes she is now going to see a solicitor. She has just been on the phone ..............
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The husband walked out over the weekend after drinking 16 cans of lager.
    To be fair hat's quite an achievement.
    He went to the council and asked to be rehoused.
    How the hell did they understand him?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    To be fair hat's quite an achievement.

How the hell did they understand him?

Ha ha! :D
  • performingmonkperformingmonk Posts: 20,086
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Have an affair with her. That'll sort the situation! :D
  • julie_tredgoldjulie_tredgold Posts: 508
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    This is your g/f friends problem not yours and should have no effect on your life
    If for whatever reason this woman was silly enough to take him back that is something she has to learn from , his problems are self inflicted and so are hers , you have choice whether or not to be overly involved I would choose to let them continue this long drawn out saga for years to come
    sounds like they are addicted to the drama and lifestyle they chose for themselves , she had a chance to get out and she blew it