Missing episode discovery rumours

Comments

• adams66adams66 Posts: 3,945
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    At some point in this whole Saga, Ian Levine somehow became the sympathetic, sane and rational one.

And if *that* doesn't show how f***ed up this has all become nothing will.

:D:D
    Indeed. How has PM thrown away all that support and goodwill? Madness, the whole thing is madness.

I wish a Geldof character would show up, thump the table, and shout "Just give us the f@*%in' episodes. Now!"
  • be more pacificbe more pacific Posts: 19,061
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    To be fair, the spats and the rumours only reach a fairly small audience. The vast majority of Doctor Who fans, both classic and new series, won't be aware of twitter arguments or perpetually-shifting "announcement" dates.

If Morris really does have something else and he returns it, recent events will just be a very surreal footnote in the story.

This post was brought to you by Pacific's gay friend Hunter Mash.
    100% genuine profile pic: http://a5.files.biography.com/image/upload/c_fill,g_face,h_300,q_80,w_300/MTE4MDAzNDEwNzQ4NDA5MzU4.jpg
  • bigheatherbigheather Posts: 694
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    :D

And this is one of Morris's sock Twitter accounts which he uses to attack Levine and the Cardiff production office:

https://twitter.com/musicmaker880/with_replies

Morris boggles my mind.

Looks like that account has now been deleted
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    bigheather wrote: »
    Looks like that account has now been deleted

Not surprised - it was worryingly bonkers.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Anyone fancy a trawl through archived versions of that site?

https://web.archive.org/web/*/http://doctorwhoworldwide.com
  • DiscoPDiscoP Posts: 5,920
    Forum Member
    Jethryk wrote: »
    Furthermore, this website published an article in 2013 concerning Steven Moffat, his relationship with Christopher Eccleston, Matt Smith and more. We now recognise that this article was born of linked sources ultimately hostile to Steven Moffat and the Cardiff production team, we also consider it unsound at the very base level. It is retracted.

Good grief I remember that story too and how ridiculous it sounded because Matt Smith has only ever had anything nice to say about Moffat. It's scary how much damage some of these people were trying to do.
  • SambdaSambda Posts: 6,185
    Forum Member
    Jethryk wrote: »

What was that site's stance on the ME rumours? I.E. what are they retracting? Were they claiming a big find (80/90 eps) and are now saying the sources indicating the find was that large were bullshitting?
  • chuffnobblerchuffnobbler Posts: 10,771
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    That article does state that they feel more missing episodes have been recovered, thereby contradicting the "omnirumour dead" story.

Interesting to read people being shocked that junkings were still happening in 1981. I thought that was common knowledge and pretty obvious. Some early episodes of The Adventure Game (BBC kids show from my 1980s childhood) are missing. A number of kids shows were wiped in 1993. It's surprising to see people at that website, (and Phi*ip Mo*ris) getting arse-in-hands about this.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    That article does state that they feel more missing episodes have been recovered, thereby contradicting the "omnirumour dead" story.

Interesting to read people being shocked that junkings were still happening in 1981. I thought that was common knowledge and pretty obvious. Some early episodes of The Adventure Game (BBC kids show from my 1980s childhood) are missing. A number of kids shows were wiped in 1993. It's surprising to see people at that website, (and Phi*ip Mo*ris) getting arse-in-hands about this.
    Even then, it probably seemed like a sensible cost-cutting measure. Beyond the initial repeat(s) as a contemporary series, The Adventure Game wouldn't have had much potential for a post-1980s repeat run or a commercial release.

The BBC has been under intense pressure to give value for money. Using valuable resources to store unrepeatable programmes would have seemed like a massive waste of public money.
    Forum Member

Do they still junk stuff now? Or is literally every second of every channel's braodcast saved digitally somewhere? There must be terabytes and terabytes of archive data sitting on hard drives and servers somewhere.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Of course, these days the BBC's archive of 60s-80s light entertainment is known more commonly as "evidence".;-)
  • CLL DodgeCLL Dodge Posts: 115,627
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    DiscoP wrote: »
    Do they still junk stuff now? Or is literally every second of every channel's braodcast saved digitally somewhere? There must be terabytes and terabytes of archive data sitting on hard drives and servers somewhere.

The Beeb keep the good (marketable) stuff.

The junk is offloaded to the BFI, if they want it.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/archive/tv_archive.shtml?chapter=8
  • davrosdodebirddavrosdodebird Posts: 8,692
    Forum Member
    Philip Morris, the man responsible for finding The Enemy of the World and much of The Web of Fear, has spoken out about the omnirumour (a series of whispers that say that the majority of missing episodes have been found), and derogatory comments he supposedly made (which we won’t go into here).

On the Facebook Missing Episodes Discussion Page, he posted:

“I would like to apologise for any of my previous postings on all social media sites that may have caused offence. It was not my intention to upset anyone. I entered into the social media arena primary as a Dr Who fan. Some say my position in the eyes of Doctor Who fans elevates me to a similar status to say a member of the current Dr Who production team. I take that on board. But unlike members of the production team I have tried to engage with fellow fans on a level playing field. After all I am one of them.

My thoughts and opinions are merely that. Thoughts and opinions. Perhaps I have been hoist up to a higher plain in some peoples eyes, I accept that I should have been less reactionary. But your average Dr Who fan can write what they like with no come back. I accept that as a fan I can no longer be as free with my responses, if at all.

My opinion of the current production team are as valid as the next Dr Who fan. But, yes, my comments are obviously over analysed.

I maintain that what I have said previously on social media was a personal opinion, derived from my love of Dr Who. But I stand by my assertion that comments made on social media can be taken out of context and presented in a way not originally intended by their author. Believe me there is no hidden agenda.

I have been forced to separate the Dr Who fan from the company director. I believe Steven Moffat has said something along those lines with regards to his position as Dr Who show runner.

As I said in my statement yesterday. I shall no longer be engaging on social media as a Dr Who fan. But I trust this groups organisers and have chosen to post any future statements on issues I feel important on here. My thanks to all concerned for indulging me. I don’t see myself as above anybody’s opinion. I am simply a hard working person trying to do the best I can.

Finally a message to all Dr Who fans interested in my work. I work in an unbelievably dangerous environment. As far as I know nobody else has gone into the volatile regions that I have. It is a wonderful job to search for lost World national heritage TV but a very precarious one. If I choose to give vague answers to repeated questions about my findings then there is a very good reason for this.

In time all shall be revealed. And when that moment comes all interested parties shall find full explanations for the myriad of topics and questions associated with me and my job both past and present, nothing shall be left out. Until then…

Patience is a virtue.

Keep believing and watch this space.”

A statement like this was long overdue IMO

I
  • TheophileTheophile Posts: 2,931
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Philip Morris, the man responsible for finding The Enemy of the World and much of The Web of Fear, has spoken out about the omnirumour (a series of whispers that say that the majority of missing episodes have been found), and derogatory comments he supposedly made (which we won’t go into here).

On the Facebook Missing Episodes Discussion Page, he posted:

“I would like to apologise for any of my previous postings on all social media sites that may have caused offence. ....

In time all shall be revealed. And when that moment comes all interested parties shall find full explanations for the myriad of topics and questions associated with me and my job both past and present, nothing shall be left out. Until then…

Patience is a virtue.

I

Wow. That entire post was calm, well thought out and reasonable. I wonder who was at the intervention? :)

Seriously, I am glad to see that he is taking this track. It seems as if he has come to realize a greater perspective on things which will help out the fan base, negotiations and his blood pressure. :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Philip Morris, the man responsible for finding The Enemy of the World and much of The Web of Fear, has spoken out about the omnirumour (a series of whispers that say that the majority of missing episodes have been found), and derogatory comments he supposedly made (which we won’t go into here).......

....... Until then…

Patience is a virtue.

I

Well.
    It's hard to believe that this was written by the same previously ranting apoplectic person but if that's genuinely PM's statement, then full marks for reigning in the inflammatory comments, and for showing humility and restraint.

Lets hope the whole sorry situation calms down and we start to get some sensible, realistic information. The hunt for missing episodes is a fascinating subject in and of itself. It's a terrible shame that recently this search seems to have been overtaken by anger and ranting and accusations. Let's hope that's all in the past now.
    Forum Member
    Well it will certainly be great to read the full story one day. Even if no more episodes turn up I shall look forward to the book about this whole saga. It could only happen to Doctor Who...
  • chuffnobblerchuffnobbler Posts: 10,771
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Not only is that level-headed, sensible and thought-through, it's also literate and uses understandable grammar and spelling.

I wonder who is Mr Morris's ghost-writer.
    (rolleyes)
  • JCRJCR Posts: 24,028
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Anneke Wills said today they had found them all. Said Tenth Planet 4 definitely exists. Said there were silly commercial reasons for the hold up. Said Mark Gatiss told her this.

Hmm.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    JCR wrote: »
    Anneke Wills said today they had found them all. Said Tenth Planet 4 definitely exists. Said there were silly commercial reasons for the hold up. Said Mark Gatiss told her this.

Hmm.

Interesting - where did she say this?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    adams66 wrote: »
    Interesting - where did she say this?

At a convention in Bristol. Was apparently taped and video of her saying it may turn up today.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    JCR wrote: »

Hmm.
    Every single episode? Has that ever been mentioned before? The most optimistic rumours usually leave a handful still missing.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Every single episode? Has that ever been mentioned before? The most optimistic rumours usually leave a handful still missing.

God knows (she may have meant every episode she was in, which would still be jaw dropping). It remains fantastically unlikely Feast of Steven exists. Possible all the others are in play.
  • performingmonkperformingmonk Posts: 20,086
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There seems to be some massive idiots involved with these missing episodes. I hope they don't make any money from their discovery. I'd rather they stayed 'lost', and I'm not over-exaggerating in the slightest.
  • Mr SetaMr Seta Posts: 380
    Forum Member
    If there's some truth to this -that in fact they have found "them all" (or pretty much them all) & it is due to commercial (hefty payout) reasons for the delay in any further release, I hope those involved realise that the longer this all drags out, then they may as well release them all without any extras (as with WoF & EotW) -simply there won't be anybody who was around at the time left to interview or do the commentaries at this rate!

If it is true what Anneke says, I imagine the likes of her & Frazer Hines & others involved who possibly know this will be in another league of frustration than the likes of you and me. A level somewhat similar to that expressed by Ian Levine, to which such outbursts would then become quite understandable to me.