"...contains strong language and adult humour"

Comments

• drykiddrykid Posts: 1,510
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The one that annoys me is when they say "This program contains strong language / secenes of violence / scenes of a sexual nature / whatever right from the very start". And then you have to wait ages for anything exciting to happen.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,040
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    And complaining about programming that doesn't actually harm one in any way isn't selfish?

I never even mentioned the potential for harm (which is a whole different issue).

With a warning, people can choose not to watch something that contains language/violence etc. simply because they find it offensive or objectionable, never mind harmful.

Sounds reasonable to me.

-rapido
  • grimtales1grimtales1 Posts: 46,685
    Forum Member
    Too right.....

"and now the X-Factor, which will contain inappropriate hysterical screaming, and that's from the audience"

Ha ha exactly :D
  • DJGMDJGM Posts: 3,934
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The perfect warning for all continuity announcers to introduce any movie starring Steven Seagal . . .
    "Contains poor plot, bad acting and over-loud background music."
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,727
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    molliepops wrote: »
    The news doesn't contain swearing - well the BBC doesn't at any time of the day.
    And why when we all pay for our viewing shouldn't we be able to watch at anytime ? We just need the warning as given now to make that possible.

I really can't see how that prevents anyone else enjoying the programmes :confused:

no but the news may contain issues and subjects that may cause distress. so if a person cant handle a bit of swearing, how will the cope with horrific real life events.
    rapido wrote: »
    If it didn't contain "anything remotely offensive", then it wouldn't have a warning (unless the warning was read out by mistake, which would be extremely rare).

How about simple solution for people who don't like the "annoying" warnings to perhaps not watch any tv after 9pm or maybe 8pm to be safe?

I find it depressing that we have selfish people in this world. Hopefully only a minority of people.

-rapido

lol cos i am not some crazy person who cant cope with simple words, i was just saying that the warning is unneeded.

rewind wrote: »
    It was done before the final part of The Big Fat Quiz because that part included the Radio 4 presenter using the "C" word.

if thats the incident i think it is, wasnt it just the way the name sounded?
    I never even mentioned the potential for harm (which is a whole different issue).

With a warning, people can choose not to watch something that contains language/violence etc. simply because they find it offensive or objectionable, never mind harmful.

Sounds reasonable to me.

-rapido

and what turning over when something happens or hearing the name of the programme wont work.

or even being a bit more subtle.

please tell me how a swear word would cause harm?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    lol cos i am not some crazy person who cant cope with simple words, i was just saying that the warning is unneeded.

Err... well it obviously is needed otherwise there would be no warnings. Or we could perhaps go the American way and censor like mad no matter what time of day or night. You'd like that?
    please tell me how a swear word would cause harm?

Harm? Where did I say harm? Did you even read my above posting?

You have to remember that not everyone is foul mouthed or extremely violent, or accepting of people who are, whether in real life or on the television... and don't really want such things in their home. Simple as that.

-rapido
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Err... well it obviously is needed otherwise there would be no warnings. Or we could perhaps go the American way and censor like mad no matter what time of day or night. You'd like that?

Harm? Where did I say harm? Did you even read my above posting?

You have to remember that not everyone is foul mouthed or extremely violent, or accepting of people who are, whether in real life or on the television... and don't really want such things in their home. Simple as that.

-rapido

there is alot of censorship, sorry but if anyone up at that time cant handle it then maybe they need to look at themselves.

where you stated it was a whole different issue, i took that to mean you just didnt want to go in it but you felt that the potential was there.

as a foul mouthed and extremely violent person i find it hard to believe :eek::rolleyes:

some people dont accept many things such as those that are racist or homophobic, but you never hear warnings like this programme maybe contain ethic diversity them members of the bnp may find hard to watch lol.

and if they dont want things in there home maybe they should be careful after the watershed. it doesnt take much to check whats on that night if youre scared of a little swear word.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    and if they dont want things in there home maybe they should be careful after the watershed. it doesnt take much to check whats on that night if youre scared of a little swear word.

Well that's the point of the warning!

-rapido
  • Martin BlankMartin Blank Posts: 1,689
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Of course i can accept that certain people may be knocked senseless after hearing a certain swearword, whatever time of day it is.

I think, ultimately, what i was trying to get at was that everyone is well aware of the 9 o'clock watershed. Those that are up, gone 11pm at night, should well and truly know what to 'possibly' expect at that time of night...and to not need any kind of warning as to what's coming up in a program that's been on for the past hour.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think, ultimately, what i was trying to get at was that everyone is well aware of the 9 o'clock watershed. Those that are up, gone 11pm at night, should well and truly know what to 'possibly' expect at that time of night

As for what to "possibly" expect at that time of night, there are actually many programmes (the majority) which don't contain language/sex/violence etc. So you'd reasonably expect most programmes not to contain such.
    and to not need any kind of warning as to what's coming up in a program that's been on for the past hour.

And if you're flicking channels and haven't watched the first hour? Not everyone zaps right at the start of each programme. A warning sounds entirely reasonable to me.

-rapido
  • molliepopsmolliepops Posts: 26,821
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Of course i can accept that certain people may be knocked senseless after hearing a certain swearword, whatever time of day it is.

I think, ultimately, what i was trying to get at was that everyone is well aware of the 9 o'clock watershed. Those that are up, gone 11pm at night, should well and truly know what to 'possibly' expect at that time of night...and to not need any kind of warning as to what's coming up in a program that's been on for the past hour.

I'm often up at that time of night - they repeat my soaps Emmerdale and Corrie then, we are watching the repeat of the Giles and Sue good life programme none of which have any bad language in them. All we need is what we have which is a small warning. Why that offends anyone bemuses me.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 398
    Forum Member
    Because kids maybe staying up late due to the holidays?

perhaps, although some of the parents could be more responsible with their kids' viewing if they are letting them watch allsorts at that time!
  • grimtales1grimtales1 Posts: 46,685
    Forum Member
    The Radio 4 presenter really did say c*nt but stumbled over his words :D Of course he meant to say "Hunt" as a last name, as in Jeremy Hunt I think.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well that's the point of the warning!

-rapido

but the warning would then be unneeded if these sensitive people just checked what was due to be broadcast.
    I'm often up at that time of night - they repeat my soaps Emmerdale and Corrie then, we are watching the repeat of the Giles and Sue good life programme none of which have any bad language in them. All we need is what we have which is a small warning. Why that offends anyone bemuses me.

but they would be subject to the more than reasonable lack of quality warning :p

plus i am sure the soaps have contain acts like kissing and a bit of violence, which maybe seem to think would make a programme unwatchable. plus maybe a lower level of swear word could creep in.
    Garumph wrote: »
    perhaps, although some of the parents could be more responsible with their kids' viewing if they are letting them watch allsorts at that time!

also if the kids arent watching with there parents its not going to make them change the channel.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    but the warning would then be unneeded if these sensitive people just checked what was due to be broadcast.

but they would be subject to the more than reasonable lack of quality warning :p

plus i am sure the soaps have contain acts like kissing and a bit of violence, which maybe seem to think would make a programme unwatchable. plus maybe a lower level of swear word could creep in.

also if the kids arent watching with there parents its not going to make them change the channel.

When did I say I didn't like kissing ? And the violence in Emmerdale is very different to that which can be seen on some shows.

It's swearing I don't want to hear in my home, there is far too much of it on the streets it doesn't need to follow me into my home.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 398
    Forum Member
    When did I say I didn't like kissing ? And the violence in Emmerdale is very different to that which can be seen on some shows.

It's swearing I don't want to hear in my home, there is far too much of it on the streets it doesn't need to follow me into my home.

Oh my word, Emmerdale is scarily violent. The way Edna threw her woolly hat across the room the other week....how many calls did I make to Ofcom about that.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

i dont watch but it was more of a general point.

also there really isnt that much swearing in real life nor on the telly, even programmes containing these warnings usually dont contain more that a few, often on the lower end of the scale.
    so in reality these warnings could stop people watching a great programme simple because there are a few choice words in them.

i mean someone could hardly shout please get that awful gun out of my face, oh sugar his been shot, in a gritty cop show.
    plus swear words or though often looked down on can be very expressive.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    i dont watch but it was more of a general point.

also there really isnt that much swearing in real life nor on the telly, even programmes containing these warnings usually dont contain more that a few, often on the lower end of the scale.
    so in reality these warnings could stop people watching a great programme simple because there are a few choice words in them.

i mean someone could hardly shout please get that awful gun out of my face, oh sugar his been shot, in a gritty cop show.
    plus swear words or though often looked down on can be very expressive.

Odd we had so much drama so well conveyed before they started swearing in films and on TV. Some of the best films were made long before anyone was allowed to swear on screen. And if you really think there isn't much swearing in public I want to live where you do because effing and jeffing is rife round here.

BTW I should make it clear I am not arguing for less swearing on TV just a little warning before hand like we already have now !
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

What a ridiculous assertion.

How do you suppose "these sensitive people" (I think you mean the average Joe or Jane, actually) can somehow "check"?

Ask for a full script of every programme to be faxed over?

-rapido
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

How do you suppose "these sensitive people" (I think you mean the average Joe or Jane, actually) can somehow "check"?

-rapido

But that's so much easier than just having a little warning before the programme - honestly you and I are just not looking at this the right way ;)
  • jg.jg. Posts: 1,325
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    it's like that wonderful Victoria Wood sketch, after the character saw Macbeth.

'We walked out in the end...Someone said "womb"..... I said to Col, "Get your duffel! £2 on a box of Quality Street and someone says womb.'
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 351
    Forum Member
    plus i am sure the soaps have contain acts like kissing and a bit of violence, which maybe seem to think would make a programme unwatchable. plus maybe a lower level of swear word could creep in..

Too right i was watching a late night repeat of Corrie and I heard one character say ´blumming´I was beside myself and nervously glanced sideways only to remember my 25 year old son was safely tucked in bed with his teddy and horlicks.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

-rapido

or use common sense
    most programmes give a little blurb and you can usually tell the content from that.
    so tv listings (in the forms of the internet, epg or teletext) would usually hand out this information, i think most people know whats coming on before they decide to watch it.

i think most people can handle these things, i find it hard to believe even someone as wonderful as you has never uttered a single swear word.
    But that's so much easier than just having a little warning before the programme - honestly you and I are just not looking at this the right way ;)

indeed, checking watch your about to watch before you watch it, madness :eek:
    Too right i was watching a late night repeat of Corrie and I heard one character say ´blumming´I was beside myself and nervously glanced sideways only to remember my 25 year old son was safely tucked in bed with his teddy and horlicks.

lol :p
  • Prince MonaluluPrince Monalulu Posts: 35,900
    Forum Member
    Nothing to add really, just to say I'm on the Rapido and Molliepops sided of this.

The warnings have been explained adequately IMO.
  • AzagothAzagoth Posts: 10,169
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think the OP is wondering why the warnings are given in the middle of programmes that people are already watching

Yes, like 'Big Fat Quiz of the Year' last night. For some reason unbeknown to us mere mortals, they had a full-screen display and a voice-over explaining that the programme that we were already watching contains adult language. This was half-way through the programme, a programme I hasten to add that had already featured multiple swearwords.