Options

Birthdays around Christmas and New Year

tarotangeltarotangel Posts: 1,090
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Just wondering what other FM's do if their birthday is around or on Christmas or New Year.

My Birthday is on Boxing Day so usually spend it with family and nominate another day to go out with friends.

Mam went into labour with me just after her Christmas dinner but the nurses didn't believe her and said it was just indigestion. How wrong they were.

Comments

• Options
    BastardBeaverBastardBeaver Posts: 11,903
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Mine is in 6 days :D

I don't mind it being when it is, but people never have money to do anything.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mine is in 6 days :D

I don't mind it being when it is, but people never have money to do anything.

I got a lot of requests not to have it in January so I usually make it February or March.
  • Options
    BastardBeaverBastardBeaver Posts: 11,903
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    tarotangel wrote: »
    I got a lot of requests not to have it in January so I usually make it February or March.

You get requests about when to have your birthday?

(Woooo 3000th post party)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yeah, a lot of them can't afford to in out in January, and I've had my actual birthday, so I don't think it matters too much about when we get together.

Congrats on 3,000 posts!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 32,379
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yeah, a lot of them can't afford to in out in January, and I've had my actual birthday, so I don't think it matters too much about when we get together.

Congrats on 3,000 posts!

You should have it during Up Helly Aa, celebrate them both:)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    woodbush wrote: »
    You should have it during Up Helly Aa, celebrate them both:)

Did do that one year but everyone was so busy at Lerwick Up Helly Aa hardly had time to see folk.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 32,379
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Did do that one year but everyone was so busy at Lerwick Up Helly Aa hardly had time to see folk.

Good day out though:)
  • Options
    BillyCasperBillyCasper Posts: 1,421
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's mine tomorrow and I'd love one year to do something more than go to the pub, but everyone is always so skint.
  • Options
    BellaRosaBellaRosa Posts: 36,553
    Forum Member
    It's not my birthday but I have 4 family Birthdays this month :D

3rd, 8th 14th (my mum my deceased) and 31st. I find Christmas gets in the way of them :o
  • Options
    CryolemonCryolemon Posts: 8,670
    Forum Member
    I know a woman who's birthday is the 22nd of December, she used to get two lots of presents as a kid.
  • Options
    TakaeTakae Posts: 13,555
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My birthday's a week from today, but not many in the family will remember because they'll be busy with cleaning, cooking, organising and celebrating Oomisoka, a week-long New Year's Eve event. From 27/28 Dec to 2 Jan with a focus on 31 Dec and 1 Jan. By the time my birthday arrives, they will be too exhausted to give a ****. Can you see tears swelling in my eyes?

That's why I love January; I get to celebrate it in my own way. :D
  • Options
    HampshireHannahHampshireHannah Posts: 1,088
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Cryolemon wrote: »
    I know a woman who's birthday is the 22nd of December, she used to get two lots of presents as a kid.

My birthday is 22nd December and I've always had two lots of presents every year too. Why should we get any fewer?
  • Options
    CryolemonCryolemon Posts: 8,670
    Forum Member
    My birthday is 22nd December and I've always had two lots of presents every year too. Why should we get any fewer?

I dunno, but some people (presumably from less well off families) only get one.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 720
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Mines today. Everyone is skint, full up, hungover or busy!
    I'm not very well this year though. Got viral tonsillitis so feel like death warmed up.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've had the joint present thing. I didn't think anything of it when I was little but when I got into my teens was a bit jealous of my brother whose birthday is in April.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    bb4pro wrote: »
    Mines today. Everyone is skint, full up, hungover or busy!
    I'm not very well this year though. Got viral tonsillitis so feel like death warmed up.

Happy Birthday! Hope you feel loads better soon and nominate another day for celebrations.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 85
    Forum Member
    Mine is 6th Jan. Some relatives sent 2 presents at Christmas, one for the birthday. Worse was that is was normally the day back to school so friends there didn't remember.
    My Mum had the great idea of in the summer organising a 2nd birthday for me with party and more presents.

Now I've reached the stage in life of not wishing to have birthdays. :eek::eek:
  • Options
    kitty86kitty86 Posts: 7,034
    Forum Member
    Mines on the 29th. This year I will be working it and then going to my grandparents on the 30th to have a family dinner. My boyfriend is going to take me out for dinner the week after when I have a the weekend off. My usual fall back is a night out raving with a few mates in mid January but as I'm recovering from a broken ankle that's not going to happen this year.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 720
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Happy Birthday! Hope you feel loads better soon and nominate another day for celebrations.
    Thank you xx I'm not too bothered about not celebrating as its my last year in my 30's! This time next year Ill be 40!!!!!
    We are going out for a meal on say though x
  • Options
    HampshireHannahHampshireHannah Posts: 1,088
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Cryolemon wrote: »
    I dunno, but some people (presumably from less well off families) only get one.

Fair enough. Although if a family couldn't afford to get a child presents for both birthday and Christmas, that rule should be applied to all children, regardless of when their birthday is.

If somebody gave me one present for both occasions, they'd better not expect separate Christmas and birthday presents back from me! (The exception of course being 'big' presents, where it makes sense to combine two budgets into one)
  • Options
    StudmuffinStudmuffin Posts: 4,377
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's my birthday today (27th). It was great never having to go to school on my birthday but I was often given a combined present for birthday and Christmas as a child and also I never got to have a birthday party.
    My husband's birthday is the 11th of Jan and we decided from the word go (17 years ago) we wouldn't buy each other Xmas presses, only birthday ones.
    I haven't spent a birthday or Xmas with my family for years and years. i don't like enforced get togethers.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Studmuffin wrote: »
    It's my birthday today (27th). It was great never having to go to school on my birthday but I was often given a combined present for birthday and Christmas as a child and also I never got to have a birthday party.
    My husband's birthday is the 11th of Jan and we decided from the word go (17 years ago) we wouldn't buy each other Xmas presses, only birthday ones.
    I haven't spent a birthday or Xmas with my family for years and years. i don't like enforced get togethers.

Happy Birthday!

I'd forgotten about the whole birthday party thing. My first birthday party was for my 21st took place in January. Went out for meal at Chinese then pub crawl. A lot of folk couldn't make it, so ended up having another 4 celebrations throughout year.
  • Options
    hallstarhallstar Posts: 925
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Happy birthday to all those born today. Its also my birthday today. The problem with having a birthday in the gap between Christmas and New Year is everyone wants to book that time off work so if Christmas falls on a Tuesday like this year if my name does not get drawn out I have to work. Mind you getting to the point where I don't feel like doing much for my birthday anyway (38).
  • Options
    BlackmantaBlackmanta Posts: 463
    Forum Member
    My OH's birthday is 23rd December.
    I always try to keep it completely separate and don't put any Christmas cards out until his birthday cards have been up.

I always get him two presents.

I hate it when we get a Christmas card with '.... and Happy Birthday for the 23rd' at the bottom. That's usually from his family, too.
  • Options
    SJ_MentalSJ_Mental Posts: 16,138
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Three of my children's birthdays are quite close to xmas 17th, 29th and the 6th of January, It's quite handy to get most of them out of the way in one go with Christmas etc.