Options

If Westboro Baptist Church were to picket Joan Rivers' funeral

lemoncurdlemoncurd Posts: 57,778
Forum Member
.....with the usual kind of faux animosity - "God Hates Jews" placards and the ilk - do you think Rivers herself would have minded?
She fought hard through her comedy for the right to be as offensive as possible about other celebs, so should it be expected in return?

ps. I'm not saying that this *is* going to happen or should happen; it's purely hypothetical.

Comments

• Options
    dee123dee123 Posts: 46,274
    Forum Member
    They always threaten. That's how they get attention.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,916
    Forum Member
    I heard she wasn't having a funeral and is donating her body to Madame Tussauds.
  • Options
    idlewildeidlewilde Posts: 8,698
    Forum Member
    Random, albeit interesting premise. I shall think on it a while, then return.
  • Options
    Frankie_LittleFrankie_Little Posts: 9,271
    Forum Member
    It ain't gonna happen, she's already buried.
  • Options
    lemoncurdlemoncurd Posts: 57,778
    Forum Member
    dee123 wrote: »

Wasn't there once a British zleb who died and they were threatening to come over for their funeral until the Government banned them?

Can't remember who it was now. Either Stephen Gately or the Queen Mum, maybe.
  • Options
    TerraCanisTerraCanis Posts: 14,099
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I heard she wasn't having a funeral and is donating her body to Madame Tussauds.

Joan Rivers herself claimed that the beneficiary would be Tupperware.
  • Options
    D_Mcd4D_Mcd4 Posts: 10,438
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    There is a lot of hatred and crowing about her death as "karma" because she said the wrong thing about Palestine. If bad Karma is living life to the full, enjoying a glamorous wealthy lifestyle and then dying peacefully at an old age, I want some.
  • Options
    TheSilentFezTheSilentFez Posts: 11,103
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The Westboro Baptist Church's MO is to bait people into lawsuits. If people stopped taking them seriously and instead treated them like the laughing stock they are then perhaps they'd go away.

That said, I do appreciate the difficulty in laughing at someone who is purposely being obnoxious at the funeral of a loved one.
  • Options
    AcerBenAcerBen Posts: 21,329
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I can't believe you're trying to compare Joan Rivers to them. They are pure evil.
  • Options
    TheSilentFezTheSilentFez Posts: 11,103
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    AcerBen wrote: »
    I can't believe you're trying to compare Joan Rivers to them. They are pure evil.

No they're not. They're a bunch of hilarious imbeciles.
    The problem is that people take them seriously and thus generate publicity for them.
  • Options
    contrariancontrarian Posts: 1,475
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    dee123 wrote: »

and another thread is made with the usual rantings
  • Options
    exlordlucanexlordlucan Posts: 35,375
    Forum Member
    I think she'd love it, anything for a laugh.
  • Options
    bollywoodbollywood Posts: 67,769
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think she'd love it, anything for a laugh.

I agree.

Too bad she couldn't be there to make fun of how they dress. That is probably terrible and frumpy.
  • Options
    intoxicationintoxication Posts: 7,059
    Forum Member
    The problem is that people take them seriously and thus generate publicity for them.

I don't think there's anything hilarious about them at all, I think the other posters "pure evil" comment is closer to describing them than "hilarious imbeciles".
  • Options
    DaisyBillDaisyBill Posts: 4,339
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't think there's anything hilarious about them at all, I think the other posters "pure evil" comment is closer to describing them than "hilarious imbeciles".

There's a bit of both, I suppose. They're scammers who don't care about hurting others.
  • Options
    ian_charlesian_charles Posts: 578
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Send them out to deal with ISIS......their god will protect them....
  • Options
    WutheringWuthering Posts: 1,071
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

This.

Anyway, they never have actually carried out their "threat" when they talk about picketing celebrity funerals have they?
  • Options
    ian_charlesian_charles Posts: 578
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Deleted
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,848
    Forum Member
    WBC wanted to go Mandela but were banned, unfortunately as we would have seen the end of them otherwise.
  • Options
    Welsh-ladWelsh-lad Posts: 51,925
    Forum Member
    Someone would channel her voice from the other side, and she'd be vocally criticizing the fashion atrocities committed by that bunch of inbred Baptists.
  • Options
    WhedoniteWhedonite Posts: 29,245
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think she would laugh at them. I certainly do. I'm still trying to work out why newborn babies go to Hell when they die.

I would love to know their opinion on the mentally unwell. They claim that if you're not a member of their church, you will burn in Hell. What about those who are physically and mentally incapable of making that choice? I'm just curious :blush:
  • Options
    UKMikeyUKMikey Posts: 28,728
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm not sure but I think this is their Instagram account:

http://instagram.com/p/siSKayhDnL/
  • Options
    WhedoniteWhedonite Posts: 29,245
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    UKMikey wrote: »
    I'm not sure but I think this is their Instagram account:

http://instagram.com/p/siSKayhDnL/

Just checked out their page. Apparently "God hates sluts". I'm screwed.
  • Options
    Flat MattFlat Matt Posts: 7,023
    Forum Member
    vinba wrote: »
    She will be remembered though for the things she said about the people of Gaza just before she died though.

No, she won't.

She'll be remembered as one of the best and most enduring comedians in history.

The Gaza comments have barely led to a raised eyebrow amongst most people. It's only the usual terminally offended forum whiners that that are making anything of it.
  • Options
    Keyser_Soze1Keyser_Soze1 Posts: 25,182
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Whedonite wrote: »
    Just checked out their page. Apparently "God hates sluts". I'm screwed.

Well if the offer is there...

;-) :D