Will the Monster under the Bed make a Return?

CorwinCorwin Posts: 16,601
Forum Member
✭✭
I'm wondering this because of who played him.

"The Figure" was played by Kiran Shah who has quite a long list of roles on his CV.

Yes they wanted someone short to play the figure but would they hire someone of Kiran's experience if all they needed was someone to stand under a blanket for a few minutes?

Surely it would have been easier (and cheaper) to use a youngish child?

So maybe we will be seeing the Figure again in a future episode?

Comments

• grazemytvaddictgrazemytvaddict Posts: 4,954
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It would be quite risky as concluding it could ruin the episode.
  • TheSilentFezTheSilentFez Posts: 11,103
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Almost certainly not.
  • MinkytheDogMinkytheDog Posts: 5,658
    Forum Member
    Corwin wrote: »
    Yes they wanted someone short to play the figure but would they hire someone of Kiran's experience if all they needed was someone to stand under a blanket for a few minutes?

It may only have been a few minutes of screen time but it could have taken days to film that scene - maybe it's actually simpler and cheaper to hire one adult for three days than it is to hire half a dozen different children who are only allowed to work for short periods of time and require tutors and other "extras".

Or maybe they really did want to shoot at night to get the lighting right - which would raise even more issues with child actors.

Or maybe someone at DW just wanted to throw a bit of work his way - maybe as a favour or maybe to get him "on the books" for future roles requiring a short actor - Jimmy Vee has apparently "hit it big" in America so the old stand-by may not be available.
  • FiregazerFiregazer Posts: 5,888
    Forum Member
    Why would it "return"? There's no "it", it's a play on kiddy dreams.

Not everything requires master speculation, if there's no theory, it's a waste of time.
  • Michael_EveMichael_Eve Posts: 14,451
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yep, Clara's back next Saturday. ;-)

(Clara's great.)
  • GDKGDK Posts: 9,474
    Forum Member
    Yep, Clara's back next Saturday. ;-)

(Clara's great.)

Nice one! :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 903
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Likely, because "figure" is not explained yet. I don't think it NEEDS to be explained (Listen is a mysterious episode and it should stay like this) but if Moffat has a good timey-wimey explanation for it, why not? As long as it is not ruining the episode.
  • Sufyaan_KaziSufyaan_Kazi Posts: 3,862
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm wondering this because of who played him.

"The Figure" was played by Kiran Shah who has quite a long list of roles on his CV.

Surely it would have been easier (and cheaper) to use a youngish child?

So maybe we will be seeing the Figure again in a future episode?

Yup, I've been wondering why he specifically was cast. I agree with other posters though it would be odd if the character per see did return. Maybe Kiran is playing other roles later in the series, so it just made sense to maximise his time on set.

wow, according to IMDB he's had a great career, but unfortunately what stood out for me was a role he played in 2012 - small man in duvet! Talk about being typecast!!
  • CorwinCorwin Posts: 16,601
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It may only have been a few minutes of screen time but it could have taken days to film that scene - maybe it's actually simpler and cheaper to hire one adult for three days than it is to hire half a dozen different children who are only allowed to work for short periods of time and require tutors and other "extras".

Or maybe they really did want to shoot at night to get the lighting right - which would raise even more issues with child actors.

Given Rupert was in the scene for longer than the Figure and he was seemingly the same child actor throughout I doubt they would have had to hire multiple child actors to play the Figure.

Unless of course you're saying that Rupert was in fact played by a number of different actors? ;-)

The_Judge_ wrote: »

but unfortunately what stood out for me was a role he played in 2012 - small man in duvet! Talk about being typecast!!

Hadn't spotted that :D

That probably explains why he got the role :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 217
    Forum Member
    Maybe Kiran Shah is another Who fan and was happy to be asked and just wanted to be on Doctor Who.
    I think lots of actors would grab any bit part if offered just for the lark of being on the show. He has been in lots of fantasy type shows (Narnia, Harry Potter, Lord of the Rings and others) so maybe his agent thought it would be another great opportunity and got him on there.

Or, maybe he will be back.
    :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,244
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

He played The Boy with an Arse for a Face in 2008! A bit of pocket money for larking about under a bedsheet seems like quite a nice deal.
    Forum Member
    "Morning lovee - all you need to do is stand there with this blanket over your head - only take five minutes"

"Ah, but dahling - what's my motivation?"

"That would be the fifty quid and a free buffet lunch we gave you"

"But I see the character in the broader sense of his pathos. He's lain twixt ether and soil for an eternity and finds himself neath the bed of a poor, lonely child and he..."

"Whatever - can you just put the blanket over your head so we can get started"

"But shouldn't this blanket be blue - to show the despair of the creature who inhabits the nether realms?"

"Thanks Mr McKellan but we've changed our mind - you're too .. ... ... tall. Jeez - anyone got Kiran's phone number?"
  • Michael_EveMichael_Eve Posts: 14,451
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Excellent, Minky. :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    "Morning lovee - all you need to do is stand there with this blanket over your head - only take five minutes"

"Ah, but dahling - what's my motivation?"

"That would be the fifty quid and a free buffet lunch we gave you"

"But I see the character in the broader sense of his pathos. He's lain twixt ether and soil for an eternity and finds himself neath the bed of a poor, lonely child and he..."

"Whatever - can you just put the blanket over your head so we can get started"

"But shouldn't this blanket be blue - to show the despair of the creature who inhabits the nether realms?"

"Thanks Mr McKellan but we've changed our mind - you're too .. ... ... tall. Jeez - anyone got Kiran's phone number?"

Love it :)
    Forum Member
    Big time mind-screw...

What if it wasn't Kiran under the blanket and the beeb just paid to use his name in the credits to throw us off the trail and stop us considering the possibility that it was the Doctor himself?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not Canon in my view, but I didn't know about Floofs:

http://tardis.wikia.com/wiki/Corner_of_the_Eye_(short_story)
  • DavidusDavidus Posts: 201
    Forum Member
    You can imagine the poor director with whoever is cast...

Director: "Action"

Child under Blanket: (Does nothing)

Director: "For Gawds sake, you're supposed to move slowly upright"

Child under Blanket: "But I'm non-existant. A figment in some poor Doctor's mind. How can I move if I don't exist?"

Director: "Oh For Pete's Sake - Get me someone who can act"

Child under Blanket: (Shouts back) "How do you know I'm not acting - You can't see me"

RSPCC Agent: "This has to stop now. Your alotted filming time for the day has finished"

Director: "Somebody contact Madame Tussauds. There's gotta be a dummy who can do better than this...and who doesn't answer back"

Enter Macaulay Culkin.....:o