The Ratings Thread (Part 34)

Comments

• BigOrangeBigOrange Posts: 59,653
    Forum Member
    You cannot compare one X Factor rating against one The Voice rating. Its well known X Factor often suffered dips following the end of the auditions. You have 8 series to go back and look through to see I am right and only 1 live episode of The Voice to try and prove your point with.
    You were the one trying to make the comparison, and not providing any statistics whatsoever to backup what you were saying. Why should I do all the work?

No, no. I think it's you who needs to do your research on this. Even 2010 was the same.
  • Stefano92Stefano92 Posts: 66,363
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Despite The Voice rating being still very strong, every country which airs The Voice drops after the blind auditions/battle rounds. The Live Shows get on average quite a bit lower than the auditions.
  • Hit Em Up StyleHit Em Up Style Posts: 12,141
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Dancc wrote: »
    You were the one trying to make the comparison, and not providing any statistics whatsoever to backup what you were saying. Why should I do all the work?

No, no. I think it's you who needs to do your research on this. Even 2010 was the same.

I think you will find X Factor often suffered dips as the lives started following the auditions ending. It has had eight series for you to go and look through.

Also if you go and look you will see that in the two years prior to the Sunday show of X Factor being launced, its result show ratings often could be anything from 2 to 3 million down on the main show.
    Forum Member
    I think you will find X Factor often suffered dips as the lives started following the auditions ending. It has had eight series for you to go and look through.

Also if you go and look you will see that prior to the Sunday show of X Factor being launced its result show ratings often could be anything from 2 to 3 million down.
    Ah I see, so you want me to compare with when TXF had both shows in one night. Even though The Voice doesn't do this.

Presumably the idea with stripping it across both nights was to try and replicate ITV's winning Q4 formula, not come close to a series low.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ah I see, so you want me to compare with when TXF had both shows in one night. Even though The Voice doesn't do this.

Presumably the idea with stripping it across both nights was to try and replicate ITV's winning Q4 formula, not come close to a series low.

http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/showpost.php?p=26430333&postcount=2

As you can see. Many of the auditions shows of the X Factor were higher than those of the live shows. Most notably during Series 4.

Hope rzt doesn't mind me posting that.
  • Chris1964Chris1964 Posts: 19,725
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Presumably the idea with stripping it across both nights was to try and replicate ITV's winning Q4 formula, not come close to a series low.[/QUOTE]

The show isnt live though and its not the same slot or length so the comparison isnt really fair.
    Its very difficult to replicate X Factor anyway, as alot of people would tune in to see Jedward or Wagner style acts and how far they could get. That isnt going to happen on The Voice as it doesnt go down that road. Its far more a studious show and that might not have the level of mass appeal as X Factor.
    Forum Member
    http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/showpost.php?p=26430333&postcount=2

As you can see. Many of the auditions shows of the X Factor were higher than those of the live shows. Most notably during Series 4.

Hope rzt doesn't mind me posting that.
    The pattern for Series 4 looks markably different to the others though, so maybe it was a bit of an anomaly? I haven't studied X Factor's figures as meticulously as rzt so perhaps he can shed more light on this.

But I'd suggest either series 1 because it was the first or more recent series where the scheduling has been split as it has with The Voice would make for more relevant examples for comparison. As we can see from the series 1 data, X Factor set a new high with its first results show. The Voice went the other way and then some last night.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The pattern for Series 4 looks markably different to the others though, so maybe it was a bit of an anomaly? I haven't studied X Factor's figures as meticulously as rzt so perhaps he can shed more light on this.

But I'd suggest either series 1 because it was the first or more recent series where the scheduling has been split as it has with The Voice would make for more relevant examples for comparison. As we can see from the series 1 data, X Factor set a new high with its first results show. The Voice went the other way and then some last night.

My main point though was that a dip following the auditions ending wasn't just unique to The Voice.

The Voice got far more ratings than even the BBC expected for the audition rounds. That wasn't going to be sustained. Staying consistant is what matters now and we won't get a clear idea of how consistant it has been until the final.
    Forum Member
    My main point though was that a dip following the auditions ending wasn't just unique to The Voice.

The Voice got far more ratings than even the BBC expected for the audition rounds. That wasn't going to be sustained. Staying consistant is what matters now and we won't get a clear idea of how consistant it has been until the final.
    This is getting a bit like the football when a lower ranked team meets a higher ranked team and it finishes 4-4, and the supporters say they are happy because they would have taken a point at the start of the match, ignoring the fact they were 4-0 up at one point.

I agree completely that The Voice surpassed all expectations in the early stages, that cannot be denied. But we can't simply ignore that early ratings form now it proves inconvenient or paints a less pretty picture than we'd like. The BBC might have been over the moon if you'd told them the first results show would have done this well a few months ago, now I suspect much less so. Trajectory is important, that's all I'm saying.

There could be some truth to this rather genius diagram first posted by D.M.N. yesterday: http://yfrog.com/z/odyv0ccj
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    This is getting a bit like the football when a lower ranked team meets a higher ranked team and it finishes 4-4, and the supporters say they are happy because they would have taken a point at the start of the match, ignoring the fact they were 4-0 up at one point.

I agree completely that The Voice surpassed all expectations in the early stages, that cannot be denied. But we can't simply ignore that early ratings form now it proves inconvenient or paints a less pretty picture than we'd like. The BBC might have been happy if you'd told them the first results show would have done this well a few months ago, now I suspect much less so. Trajectory is important, that's all I'm saying.

There could be some truth to this rather genius diagram first posted by D.M.N. yesterday: http://yfrog.com/z/odyv0ccj

There was hardly any difference between BGT and TV on Saturday though and BGT only zoomed ahead because of a plus one figure being added in. They were neck & neck. Not millions apart.

The BBC doesn't have that plus one channel to offer. So again all the claims about TV being in decline are premature. I'd laugh my ass off if its above BGT again on Saturday given its been nothing but swings and roundabouts for the past four weeks anyway.
  • Steve WilliamsSteve Williams Posts: 11,816
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

More likely to be to try and replicate Strictly which had the results show in exactly the same slot. And it was Strictly that started the trend of Sunday results shows anyway.
    Forum Member
    There was hardly any difference between BGT and TV on Saturday though and BGT only zoomed ahead because of a plus one figure being added in. They were neck & neck. Not millions apart.

The BBC doesn't have that plus one channel to offer. So again all the claims about TV being in decline are premature. I'd laugh my ass off if its above BGT again on Saturday given its been nothing but swings and roundabouts for the past four weeks anyway.
    I think you're overplaying the +1 issue slightly as even if you exclude it BGT was 340k ahead overall which isn't what I'd call neck and neck personally. And with respect I suspect you weren't so quick to point out how narrow the gap was on the occasions where The Voice emerged on top of BGT. Nor was the BBC. Now it's taken a turn for the worse the show and its supporters are going to have to learn to deal with a bit of stick from the press for the first time. You could argue that it's keeping it in the news which is good, but for the first time there's some real negativity creeping in as well and not just purely around the numbers either.

It's not all doom and gloom though. It's gone from being an exceptional rater to a mere excellent rater at 8.6m, it's not exactly collapsed. A Countryfile lead-in in excess of 7m takes the shine off slightly, but they are probably not the most compatible shows in the world.
  • mossy2103mossy2103 Posts: 84,307
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's not all doom and gloom though. It's gone from being an exceptional rater to a mere excellent rater at 8.6m, it's not exactly collapsed
    It will be interesting to see the consolidated figures next week, as well as the iPlayer download stats (which have been pretty impressive).
  • RobbieSykes123RobbieSykes123 Posts: 14,022
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    D.M.N. wrote: »
    Don't have time to do a full roundup, but...

18:30 - Countryfile: 7.04m (32.1%)

What the...?! :eek:

Folk tuning in for the week ahead weather forecast most probably. ;)

Then they nipped outside to extract next door's tree from the barbecue and missed The Voice (in anticipation of the warm weather today that will have them missing EastEnders tonight)

:)
    Forum Member
    Sunday Brunch averaged 767k (inc. +1) yesterday. Looks like another new high. This show is rating very very strongly for Channel 4, not far behind how Something For The Weekend used to rate on BBC Two and way better than what the Hollyoaks Omnibus used to manage. This daytime show is even threatening to overtake the odd primetime show on BBC Two/C4/C5 soon. I really don't think it can be overstated just how useful shows like this are. That's 2 hours every Sunday now where they are rating well above average in terms of audience share and probably beating ITV1 on a weekly basis. It might not be the best programme in the world but it is perfect for that Sunday slot where people want something undemanding that they can just stick on in the background. T4's mission statement might have been similar but it tried so hard to be on demographic that it became painful and cringeworthy to watch at times. C4 might not have got many things right in the past year or so, but this most definitely is one of them.
  • Mike TeeveeMike Teevee Posts: 35,567
    Forum Member
    data for week ending 22nd April 2012 is now live on BARB website

yeah I'm late, but I've been very busy today

enjoy! :)
  • davey_waveydavey_wavey Posts: 27,406
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Disappointing rating for Silent Witness. Maybe this series isn't being as well received as the others? The thread on here hasn't been the most positive.

As for The Voice, I enjoyed the first live show but it's because I'm not getting my X Factor fix at this time of year. Once the X Factor is back I'll be happy :D I think those that are saying that everyone will ditch X Factor because of The Voice are wrong. I think for many, The Voice is filling the X Factor void at this time of year. By the time August comes round and The Voice has finished, everyone will be back tuning into XF.

Last night's figures aren't disappointing. It will be excellent if TV can hold onto those kinds of figures but if we see another fall next week then it'll be concerning.
    Forum Member
    derek500 wrote: »
    Another big drop. Even lower than last week's, when they moved it to 9pm (up against Homeland), to avoid The Voice.
    Just looked at the officials for last week's episode. 2.17m inc. +1. That's a pretty strong timeshift for a C5 show. Whilst the number of people watching live or on the night continues to fall, it looks like there's a loyal audience of 700,000+ recording it each week and catching up within the 7 day window.
  • Agent FAgent F Posts: 40,288
    Forum Member
    I can't say I'm that surprised by The Voice's rating. I didn't think it would grow on the night before. I do think the results show needs to be live and that is going to be a problem for them in the weeks ahead.
    starsailor wrote: »
    Surely one of the key ratings for the Voice will be next week, when people have seen what they like/don't like from the main show and decide if they want to stick with it.

If theres a signifigent decline then, then that will be when it happens.

I agree with this, it's probably a bit premature and let's face it, 8.6m is a great rating whatever way you look at it. But the fact is after the early momentum we were seeing that seems to have tailed off somewhat.
    Forum Member
    1.59m (plus 144k on +1) for The Water Horse, Channel 5's premiere on Sunday 22nd April, the first family movie on the channel to be sponsored by Tetley as part of a new deal. That's an unexpectedly good result. I thought it would lose to C4's Coraline which had better reviews and aired across a near identical slot, but that failed to make their top 30 with less than 1.37m viewers. The tweet war was easily won by Coraline, so another example of how social media interaction can be unrepresentative of the audience as a whole.

Also of note but probably not very interesting to others in here, a repeat of Law & Order S.V.U. from Season 7 nearly broke the million mark for C5 at 11pm:

22 LAW AND ORDER - SPECIAL VICTIMS UNIT (WED 2258) 0.99m

Not far behind how the new Season 10 episode rated:

21 LAW AND ORDER - SPECIAL VICTIMS UNIT (SAT 2308) 1.06m
  • FuddFudd Posts: 166,868
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The Voice is suffering now from the same thing The X Factor suffered from in the autumn - both shows picking up excellent figures but because of the expectation due to the startling numbers they had managed to pull in, they look disappointing.

Countryfile's rating is superb; probably the wisest move Jay Hunt made as controller of BBC One. Vera didn'tperform too badly and All Star Family Fortunes held up better than The Cube against The Voice, albeit against a lesser audience. It's a shame Once Upon A Time dipped once again but at least Homeland is holding up above the 2m mark.
  • AlexiRAlexiR Posts: 22,403
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Second lowest overnight to date? Yikes.

Just confirms that a pre-recorded results show was a bad move for this show.
    I don't think the fact that it was a pre-recorded show is the issue. I suspect the bigger issue might very well be that its a random half an hour sandwiched between Countryfile and Antiques Roadshow. Having said that I also think you might be overstating how big a deal this is. An 8.6 average and a 9 million peak is hardly a disaster for a 30 minute show on Sunday night.
    That's pretty much exactly what they were saying on TV just now. It's gone from that to just people singing and a public vote... which isn't very new or distinctive at all, no matter how fancy the studio is...
    At this stage the show needs to play to its strength – the positive tone and the talent on the show. I don't think the live shows need more whistles and bells than that. Just let the contestants develop as artists over the course of the live shows because that's the basic selling point of the show. It'll be interesting to see if the BBC will go with the original songs final or not. The worst thing they can do at this stage though is give into the temptation to make The Voice live shows a circus in the mould of The X Factor.
    GeorgeS wrote: »
    Silent Witness 4.81m (18.8%),
    Its now becoming pretty obvious that the BBC need to rethink Silent Witness. Scheduling it against ITV's crime dramas like this is needlessly splitting the audience and not doing Silent Witness any favours. I think they need to rethink the two part format as well.
    I agree completely that The Voice surpassed all expectations in the early stages, that cannot be denied. But we can't simply ignore that early ratings form now it proves inconvenient or paints a less pretty picture than we'd like. The BBC might have been over the moon if you'd told them the first results show would have done this well a few months ago, now I suspect much less so. Trajectory is important, that's all I'm saying.
    Trajectory is important but I think predicting doom and gloom because a 30 minute results show 'only' got 8.6 million is a bit ridiculous. Its the first series of a new format so trying to judge these numbers is a tricky thing. I think we just have to let things play out over the next couple of weeks before we can really tell how things are going bigger picture wise.
    Forum Member
    AlexiR wrote: »
    I don't think the fact that it was a pre-recorded show is the issue. I suspect the bigger issue might very well be that its a random half an hour sandwiched between Countryfile and Antiques Roadshow. Having said that I also think you might be overstating how big a deal this is. An 8.6 average and a 9 million peak is hardly a disaster for a 30 minute show on Sunday night.
    A robust defence Alex, but all I'm doing is looking at the number in context and that's when it starts to look not very pretty, or to phrase that better not as pretty as it could/should be. I didn't say it was a disaster though, never a word I'd use for a show rating at or near this level and it's getting boring that anyone who dares criticise these big shows when they don't follow the expected course is accused of such. As I said, it's an excellent performance as opposed to an exceptional one. I'd love for the shows that I really enjoy to have that kind of problem!

We do need to see more numbers, absolutely. But it would make for a pretty boring thread if we didn't respond to the trends as they happen. We hear a lot about The Voice in here and it's only right that we analyse it on a week-by-week basis as we do everything else. And going from a 10m+ average last week to a 9m peak this week is not exactly what was expected was it? DSRPG players fancied 9.9m on average.

Sorry if I ruffled a few feathers in saying what I said, but Sam Hodges getting "cold tweet" this morning says it all. He has eventually tweeted to say that BBC One had the top 3 shows of the night last night, so a not so subtle change in focus to their evening as a whole, whereas last week it was all about The Voice. (Oh no, I'm quoting the show's slogan now!)
  • GeorgeSGeorgeS Posts: 20,039
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    AlexiR wrote: »
    Its now becoming pretty obvious that the BBC need to rethink Silent Witness. Scheduling it against ITV's crime dramas like this is needlessly splitting the audience and not doing Silent Witness any favours. I think they need to rethink the two part format as well.

Aren't they axing it anyway? Or is that Waking The Dead?
  • C14EC14E Posts: 32,165
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I guess bbc George won't be drawing attention to audience shares today... ;-) While The Voice might have picked a bad weekend to describe itself as the biggest show on tv, I don't think BGT should do it this week either! There's not enough to suggest a trend yet, so it could easily change this weekend. ITV/Cowell will probably just be relieved The Voice has stopped growing.

As for some figures posted, The Voice Us didn't vary much in season one for the live shows - although it didn't grow either and had a good lead-in. And the 40% this year wasn't an overnight drop when the live shows started, it was over 7 weeks of declines starting in the battle rounds.

X Factor series 4 dropped early in the lives largely due to missing a week for the rugby world cup then some very early (one at 5:30) starts head-to-head with Strictly.
This discussion has been closed.