"Exciting news at midnight"

Comments

• DiscoPDiscoP Posts: 5,929
    Forum Member
    The image appears in a couple of places there. They could be other members of the Pantheon of Discord.

There's four or five of them in the trailer.
  • GDKGDK Posts: 9,475
    Forum Member
    I'm always skeptical when someone says that they've seen something that looks like something else, as it usually turns out to be a tenuous similarity at best, but blow me, that looks exactly the same. Only in a different hat.

Maybe he's stolen it from the Doctor. Looks like the same hat.
  • The_abbottThe_abbott Posts: 26,946
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    DiscoP wrote: »
    Right there, in between Alpha Centauri and the Zygons.

I thought that was the Rani? :sleep:
  • Granny McSmithGranny McSmith Posts: 19,622
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    DiscoP wrote: »
    Right there, in between Alpha Centauri and the Zygons.

What?????????????????????:eek:

Careful, you could give a person heart failure making statements like that! :D
  • nebogipfelnebogipfel Posts: 8,375
    Forum Member
    Blink was horror.

For urban thriller, I would expect something more Mission Impossible.

I don't think it'll be urban in the musical sense.

Urban in the musical sense? :confused: West Side Story? That would get the forum buzzing!
  • johnnysaucepnjohnnysaucepn Posts: 6,775
    Forum Member
    GDK wrote: »
    Maybe he's stolen it from the Doctor. Looks like the same hat.

Maybe it is the Doctor.

"There was a goblin, or a trickster, or a warrior. A nameless, terrible thing, soaked in the blood of a billion galaxies..."
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,753
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm sure it will be great whatever they are calling it at this stage.
    It's just nut a huge step away from what you might describe eastenders as.( "gritty urban drama" maybe?)
    If they'd said it was an adventure set in the city in modern times, that'd sound better, but then takes up more room to say I suppose, so they just said urban. I dunno why, but that parse just made me stop for a second. The poster did look pretty cool and I'm definitely looking forward to a brand new doctor who on my birthday:)
  • CorwinCorwin Posts: 16,601
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Mulett wrote: »
    It really does look like him, and intriguing if he's behind Clara's story. He was behind Donna's 'Turn Left' adventure in season 4, so he's already been mentioned in Who. I'd almost be disappointed now if its not him! Would be nice for Sarah Jane to get a mention in the anniversary year.

The Trickster

Promo Image

There's 4 or 5 of these seen together in the trailer (from the episode with
    Diana Rigg
    ) so if he is meant to be the Trickster he brought some friends.
  • MulettMulett Posts: 9,055
    Forum Member
    I'm always skeptical when someone says that they've seen something that looks like something else, as it usually turns out to be a tenuous similarity at best, but blow me, that looks exactly the same. Only in a different hat.

I know . . even the teeth are the same! I guess that if this season is really going to lead up to a big reveal, having big players like the Trickster make an appearance makes sense.
  • CorwinCorwin Posts: 16,601
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The Spoonheads really to have Spoons for Heads :eek:

A closer look at the 4 Monsters in the Image.
  • Granny McSmithGranny McSmith Posts: 19,622
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Corwin wrote: »
    The Spoonheads really to have Spoons for Heads :eek:

A closer look at the 4 Monsters in the Image.

I had thought the one at the bottom left was a Silent at first glance, but apparently not.
  • MulettMulett Posts: 9,055
    Forum Member
    Either the Who team have run out of ideas (which of course they haven't) or we get to meet a whole load of creatures from the same race as The Trickster from the Sarah Jane Adventures.
  • sandydunesandydune Posts: 10,986
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I was thinking of what one of them reminded me of, one of those fellows out of Toontown.:D
  • Delboy219Delboy219 Posts: 3,193
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A few people i know saw the pics last night, and were still waiting on some kind of REAL exciting news that never came. I had to say "that WAS the news."

To be fair, they did act as though something special was about to announced. Two pics, including a returning monster is not worth staying up late for if you have an early rise. :rolleyes:
    Forum Member
    What?????????????????????:eek:

Careful, you could give a person heart failure making statements like that! :D

Sorry :D
    Forum Member
    The_abbott wrote: »
    I thought that was the Rani? :sleep:

Don't be silly, everyone knows that Clara/Oswin is the Rani

(funny i just typed that and saw that Rani fits in those two names, anyone any good at anagrams?)
  • sandydunesandydune Posts: 10,986
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've looked at the picture a few times and hidden in plain sight is....... :D
  • Shawn_LunnShawn_Lunn Posts: 9,353
    Forum Member
    In the Star newspaper, one of the 7B creaturees was referred to as Faceless Ones.
  • tiggerpoohtiggerpooh Posts: 4,182
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    johnnymc wrote: »
    Lets not forget richard e grant was exciting news apperently!

Yes, he should be. He's been in the worlds of Doctor Who twice before the Christmas special. He played the Doctor in 1999, for a Comic Relief spoof, called The Curse of Fatal Death, which I hope gets a DVD release soon! Somehow, I doubt it. :( Also, he was the Shalka Doctor in the Internet only animated story Scream of the Shalka in 2003. That is due for DVD release later this year.

I won't be getting this as a don't class Scream of the Shalka as a proper Doctor Who story. Not many people, if any, remember this, or have actually seen this, so I wouldn't be surprised if there aren't many copies sold, by the end of the year.

Plus, I'm not a great lover of cartoons and animated things. I am however, quite a fan of Rugrats :o and Tom and Jerry. I've got a couple of DVDs of Rugrats, featuring episodes, and the two movies that were made. I've also got an anniversary DVD of Tom and Jerry, and two other DVDs with episodes on.

http://c.suite101.com/files/styles/article_full/public/000/139/000139262.jpg

I did quite like the animated episodes of The Invasion, as I thought they had caught the Second Doctor, Jamie and Zoe's likeness very well. I haven't yet seen the Reign of Terror as HMV haven't had this in stock, being in administration, and WH Smith being out of stock.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,753
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Shalka was amazing. Grant would have been so cool if he became the Doctor when it came back in 2005, but it looks like he may never get the chance now. (I have a hope that the character we saw him play in the Snowmen could be some kind of fob-watched future doctor or something, but I know that is unlikely).

Shalka will have to be some kind of alternate timeline happenings. Perhaps something which the time war screwed up? I'm sure there are plenty of events/happenings that the time war either messed with or caused never to happen.
  • Tom TitTom Tit Posts: 2,554
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's the 50th year of Doctor Who and look what's going on! We're up in the sky and under the sea! We're running round the rings of an alien world and then a haunted house. There's new Cybermen, new Ice Warriors and a never before attempted journey to the centre of the TARDIS. And in the finale, the Doctor's greatest secret will at last be revealed! If this wasn't already our most exciting year it would be anyway!

What does the second half of last year's series of Doctor Who have to do with the 50th anniversary? I'm not typically reactionary and I didn't have the same expectations for the anniversary as some did but I don't really like having my intelligence insulted; don't try and kid me on that the second half of last year's series, stretched into this year for budgetary reasons, is part of the 'celebrations'. Maybe that's an over-reaction to a hype blurb but it just irritated me.

To be honest (and yes, I'm currently speaking from a position of ignorance, in lieu of any official information) the anniversary is gearing up to be total hype over substance: there will be masses of PR, functions, events, tributes, memorabilia (basically, shit the BBC can make money from) but very little in the way of actual new Doctor Who on the TV, and to be honest, that's all I'm really bothered about.

Can we watch these episodes and just get to 2014 already? It's shaping up to be a very annoying year Doctor Who wise. I don't want to have Doctor Who constantly pushed in my face if there's not actually any content to broadcast. The BBC make a lot of money from Doctor Who and yet they've chosen not to finance a series for the calender year 2013, whilst milking the cash cow by bringing out stamps, putting on extortionately priced conventions (not announced yet, but a dead cert) and anything else they can think of to SELL. But where is the investment in the actual PRODUCT?

I don't want a year of being patronized. There's no new series this year. Just say it. The anniversary is pure PR, helping to milk the BBC's cash cow more than ever before, and for ever diminishing product for those buying.
  • TEDRTEDR Posts: 3,413
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    nebogipfel wrote: »
    Urban in the musical sense? :confused: West Side Story? That would get the forum buzzing!

Yeah, the gang violence in London is terrible. Sometimes you daren't go out at night for fear of witnessing a drive-by pirouette.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,248
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Has the Who production team ever done an episode they consider to be an Urban Thriller before?

*cough*The Sound Of Drums*cough*

;)
  • saladfingers81saladfingers81 Posts: 11,301
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Tom Tit. Doctor Who seems to be a constant source of anguish for you. Have you ever thought it might be healthier to stop watching? I've just clicked on three threads and in every one you are spouting angry bile about how wrong it all is. I agree. I don't think you are a fan. Thought the bit in brackets at the start of your second paragraph are quite telling. You admit your own ignorance about something and then get terribly angry about something you admit you know nothing about and seem to have invented in your head. All a bit strange.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 24,080
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I love how the images have been dissected now...may i just say that these villains/monsters are the most horiffic and terrifying looking in one image...and that excites me TOO much! Spoonheads are very unnerving in the fact that they are...SPOONS...no faces...eek! and indeed Faceless Ones/Trickster rumoured oned there look so damn freaky gentlemen-like and yes Trickster like....i like...the demonic/alien behind CLara in the trailer looks even more menacing...HOPE it is! and yes the New Cybermen are so cool looking and horrific and the Ice Warriors look fantastic!

plus the imagery there is everything in one epic image, hilarious, a riot, iconic and so damn exciting...i want it as a poster please :D