Options

O2 (giff gaff) 3G, will it get better?

Comments

• Options
    wavejockglwwavejockglw Posts: 10,596
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Exactly when prices are so low.. expectations are also. O2 have been vigorously trying to undercut the competition in recent months.

Really?

They could not get near the deal I got on T-Mobile for an S4 recently.

They were £5 a month extra with less data allowance and an upfront charge for the handset!

Maybe the O2 shop had made it's target for the week when I was in! :rolleyes:
  • Options
    chenkschenks Posts: 13,231
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My only question would have to be, If it's so poor what good is it regardless how cheap it is.

A bargain is not a bargain if you can't get value from it.

because when i do travel about the place (which i tend to do), i know that i won't ever have any data limits to worry about.

almost every other carrier offers something idiotic like 500MB for £15pm
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Really?

They could not get near the deal I got on T-Mobile for an S4 recently.

They were £5 a month extra with less data allowance and an upfront charge for the handset!

Maybe the O2 shop had made it's target for the week when I was in! :rolleyes:

what was the price then, and list what you get with the package.
  • Options
    wavejockglwwavejockglw Posts: 10,596
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    chenks wrote: »
    because when i do travel about the place (which i tend to do), i know that i won't ever have any data limits to worry about.

almost every other carrier offers something idiotic like 500MB for £15pm

3's £15/month SIM Only deal offers 300 mins, 3000 SMS and All You Can Eat data. No loyalty required!

Might be worth a try with a free SIM.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    3's £15/month SIM Only deal offers 300 mins, 3000 SMS and All You Can Eat data. No loyalty required!

Might be worth a try with a free SIM.

i get 300 mins, unlimited txt and unlimited data for £15pm on O2 (after discount it's around £12pm).
    plus O2 wifi.

i assume some loyality is required unless it's a 30 day rolling contract?

the snag i've always seen with 3 is that they have no 2G data network, so you either have 3G or nothing. i'd rather have the ability to drop to EDGE or (god forbid) GPRS to get at least a smidge of data.
  • Options
    grumpyoldbatgrumpyoldbat Posts: 3,663
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    i get 300 mins, unlimited txt and unlimited data for £15pm on O2 (after discount it's around £12pm).
    plus O2 wifi.

the snag i've always seen with 3 is that they have no 2G data network, so you either have 3G or nothing. i'd rather have the ability to drop to EDGE or (god forbid) GPRS to get at least a smidge of data.

I've said this before. I know people talk about the lack of 2G fall back, but so far, I've only found one place that has no coverage, and my previous 2 providers (T-Mobile and O2) had no coverage there either. I do travel around the UK quite a bit and I go to race tracks and campsites in the deepest countryside. In each case, Three have had 3G coverage where only GPRS was available with the other two. I understand that 2G backup used to be a big deal because Three's 3G coverage was patchy in places, but in my personal experience that's improved greatly in the last year or so.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've said this before. I know people talk about the lack of 2G fall back, but so far, I've only found one place that has no coverage, and my previous 2 providers (T-Mobile and O2) had no coverage there either. I do travel around the UK quite a bit and I go to race tracks and campsites in the deepest countryside. In each case, Three have had 3G coverage where only GPRS was available with the other two. I understand that 2G backup used to be a big deal because Three's 3G coverage was patchy in places, but in my personal experience that's improved greatly in the last year or so.

which parts of the UK?
    i'm in scotland (west central) and to say the 3g coverage up here is patchy would be an understatement.

in the cities you are fine, but start heading out of the big smoke and it aint so great.

three's coverage map - can it be trusted as being reasonable accurate ?
  • Options
    Ultraman1966Ultraman1966 Posts: 271
    Forum Member
    gomezz wrote: »
    You mean getting a PAC from O2? :confused:
    Allow me to clarify, I am currently on Giff Gaff (O2) and I can switch to Three at any time. However, if Three turn out to not have good reception in the areas that I frequent then I would need to go back to Giff Gaff. Hence my comment that trying to get a PAC from Three is like draining blood from stone.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    which parts of the UK?
    i'm in scotland (west central) and to say the 3g coverage up here is patchy would be an understatement.

in the cities you are fine, but start heading out of the big smoke and it aint so great.

three's coverage map - can it be trusted as being reasonable accurate ?

All over the place - Norfolk, Cheshire, Staffordshire, Hampshire, Devon, North East, across the Midlands. I've not been to Scotland recently though. If I get up to Knockhill, I'll try it there as well. Norfolk is notoriously bad for signal, and yet I had solid coverage all weekend.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    All over the place - Norfolk, Cheshire, Staffordshire, Hampshire, Devon, North East, across the Midlands. I've not been to Scotland recently though. If I get up to Knockhill, I'll try it there as well. Norfolk is notoriously bad for signal, and yet I had solid coverage all weekend.

had a look at the coverage map for scotland (central belt west to east) and it's pretty sparse according to their map.
    all the major places are good but start to verage away from the main roads and it doesn't look great.
  • Options
    jabbamk1jabbamk1 Posts: 8,942
    Forum Member
    plus O2 wifi.

How much data do you actually use every month? Unless it's a staff account i remember reading that O2 were contacting customers as soon as they went over 2/3GB and throttling speeds for the rest of the month saying they were excessively using the unlimited data.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    jabbamk1 wrote: »
    How much data do you actually use every month? Unless it's a staff account i remember reading that O2 were contacting customers as soon as they went over 2/3GB and throttling speeds for the rest of the month saying they were excessively using the unlimited data.

i'm still on the old unlimited bolt-on.
    i've used stupid amounts without a peep from them.
    not on a regular basis though.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    had a look at the coverage map for scotland (central belt west to east) and it's pretty sparse according to their map.
    all the major places are good but start to verage away from the main roads and it doesn't look great.

It's possible that Scotland is their weak point. As I say, I can only report what I've found, which is that Three's coverage is generally very good and isn't just restricted to larger towns and cities.
  • Options
    teletvteletv Posts: 1,743
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I live five miles outside of Birmingham City Centre, and for me o2 3G coverage is not available. My iphone 4s refuses to lock on to a 3g signal at all. All I ever seem to get is 2.5G. I thought it may have been my phone, and ive tried others, its exactly the same, yet my Mom and Brother who are with Voda and EE both get full 3G signals in my house.
    When I called o2 about this they just said work was being done on my local mast and everything should be back to normal soon.... however ive never had a 3g signal at home for the past two years!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I just find it amusing how O2 claimed that their 3G at 900MHz will give far better coverage yet I am often finding that places with a few bars for Three means definite 2G for O2.
  • Options
    gomezzgomezz Posts: 44,625
    Forum Member
    i'm still on the old unlimited bolt-on.
    Same here. Not a big data user but now the BBC have launched an iPlayer app for WM8 then I expect to be using a lot more.
  • Options
    Chris1973Chris1973 Posts: 670
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well personally the coverage of both Vodaphone and O2 is pants in this area, in fact 3G from both of these service providers is virtually non existent. We aren't talking North Wales or the Mountains of Scotland either, this is along a flat busy haulage & commuter route linking Cheshire with Staffordshire, with a town and various camping and caravan sites along the way, packed with holiday makers. In other words, a constant 365 day demand for 3G services along a several mile route.

Three, T-mobile and Orange subscribers are all well catered for, and Three even have a DC-HSDPA enabled mast covering most of the route. Fast too. I'll believe O2 3G coverage, when its here, as there has been no sign of it for the last few years.

Not that O2 have exactly the most generous data packages around anyway, so i'm not surprised it often gets overlooked
  • Options
    Forum Member
    See, I'm going on a roadtrip from Cambridge to Yorkshire Dales then to Edinburgh. I'd like to get at least some 3G coverage if I take the main roads and it sounds like Three have that covered. Bye bye crappy O2/Giff Gaff!
  • Options
    mach2001mach2001 Posts: 339
    Forum Member
    Allow me to clarify, I am currently on Giff Gaff (O2) and I can switch to Three at any time. However, if Three turn out to not have good reception in the areas that I frequent then I would need to go back to Giff Gaff. Hence my comment that trying to get a PAC from Three is like draining blood from stone.

I was on GG and my speeds suddenly just dropped to barely 1meg moved to three and I very rarely get below 7.5meg and have only been to two place really out in the middle of nowhere that I didn't get any signal, it is worth the move to 3, can you get a PAYG 3 sim and just go to places that you get little signal and try it out before commiting completely to swapping numbers if you're unsure.
  • Options
    The SackThe Sack Posts: 10,415
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    considering they both use the same masts, then it's most likely placebo affect kicking in.

giff gaff gets lower priority than even o2 PAYG customers, so they are third in the priority list i believe.

if the particular mast you are connected to is close to capacity then giff gaff customers will get dropped to cater for real O2 customers.

Well in my mates shop you couldn't get O2 3g (for a number of years not just a one off) but on GiffGaff they can so its a pretty convincing placebo effect, even though they are an MVNO for some reason like i said everyone i know says it is better than the host.
  • Options
    The SackThe Sack Posts: 10,415
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I know this sounds like a stupid question but it's 2013 now and I'm still finding that O2 has pretty poor 3G coverage; or where they do have coverage the data speed is vastly inferior to Three and/or EE (T-mobile).
    I've been with Giff Gaff for 6 months nearly and I kind of want to switch to Three for a trial but I know it'll be a hassle getting my PAC from Three (from personal experience).

Seeing as O2 is very secretive about network upgrades, what is the deal? Now that 4G spectrums are pretty much secured will they push quickly to upgrade their equipment and boost their networks or continue to have a second rate network?

T-Mobile just offered me:

500 minutes
    1GB data
    Unlimited texts

for £7 a month (12 months SIM only plan)
  • Options
    alan1302alan1302 Posts: 6,336
    Forum Member
    The Sack wrote: »
    Well in my mates shop you couldn't get O2 3g (for a number of years not just a one off) but on GiffGaff they can so its a pretty convincing placebo effect, even though they are an MVNO for some reason like i said everyone i know says it is better than the host.

Seeing as o2 and Giffgaff use exactly the same masts then if you can on Giffgaff then you will be able to on o2 as well.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    The Sack wrote: »
    T-Mobile just offered me:

500 minutes
    1GB data
    Unlimited texts

for £7 a month (12 months SIM only plan)
    That's a really good deal but sadly T-Mobile blocks voip (I couldn't do Skype calls which I make on daily basis) and have no intention of lifting that unless you pay for the mobile broadband packet.
  • Options
    The Lord LucanThe Lord Lucan Posts: 5,054
    Forum Member
    I just find it amusing how O2 claimed that their 3G at 900MHz will give far better coverage yet I am often finding that places with a few bars for Three means definite 2G for O2.

More masts in an area but on a higher freq in general will always win over a lower freq and much less masts.

I imagine this may change but i've not seen anything to suggest that Cornerstone is converting ALL masts to 2G/3G (4G)
  • Options
    japauljapaul Posts: 1,727
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    More masts in an area but on a higher freq in general will always win over a lower freq and much less masts.
    And having low + high freq in the same place is often best of all (indoor coverage wise)