Glee (US Pace) (Part 5)

Comments

• CadivaCadiva Posts: 18,412
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Cory sang 'Not The End' in the graduation album which was cut from the show. It's a really beautiful song so I'd love for them to incorporate that somehow.

This is what I'm hoping happens as they also shot video for it but it was cut from the final episode. It's such a wonderful song, full of hope and I think it would be a great note to end on.
    I had hoped that the tribute to Cory would be from Lea and the cast as themselves, maybe with Matthew and others breaking the fourth wall to join Lea in the whatever - and just not try to weave some plotlines into it - just wouldn't have the stomach to see those popping up through S5 and S6 in WMHS and NYC.

The episode is saying goodbye to Finn though, not Cory, although it's going to be difficult to separate the two.
    I am sure there will be something, perhaps at the end, when they appear as themselves and not the characters. They have said there will be some form of PSA and information about the charities Cory supported and the foundation they are setting up in his name.
    1. The graduated cast do return fairly frequently - they're still the heart of the show for me and it's not the same without them.

2. The show focuses on Rachel, Kurt and Santana in New York.

3. We see much less of Ryder, Unique and Blaine, my least favourite characters. If we have to have a lot at McKinley, then focus on Marley, Jake and Kitty.

4. Better songs - last season was predominantly awful.

5. Better storylines - it got a bit ridiculous last season.

As for the Finn episode
    I'm very surprised Dianna's not in it. Unless she's already committed to be elsewhere that she can't get out of, then it suggests that she's gone from Glee altogether now... She and Lea are good friends though, so there must be a good reason for Dianna not being in the episode.

Mine are pretty much the exact opposite of yours. I loved S4, enjoyed most of the songs from S4, I love the new New Directions, specially Ryder and Unique, and I found most of Rachel and Kurt's storyline in NY tedious in the extreme until Santana showed up.
    Brody was an abject failure and they never developed Adam into a real character to give Kurt anything to do. The NY storylines weren't fleshed out, Cassie July was a parody and her turn around, while perfectly explained in the show, didn't work at all for me, while Sarah Jessica Parker was utterly wasted as Kurt's Vogue storyline just died a death.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Duplicate.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,714
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

As for the Finn episode
    I'm very surprised Dianna's not in it. Unless she's already committed to be elsewhere that she can't get out of, then it suggests that she's gone from Glee altogether now... She and Lea are good friends though, so there must be a good reason for Dianna not being in the episode.
    Is it definitely confirmed she isn't? I know she was in NYC when they began filming, but maybe she's joining later? It's not that im doubting Mystical personally, I'm just wondering. Because this is her time off between filming and promoting movie wise, she's not working on anything at the moment. So it's strange, and you'd think considering how close she and Cory were, she'd be there.:(
  • xxLoopy_louxxxxLoopy_louxx Posts: 21,397
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Is it definitely confirmed she isn't? I know she was in NYC when they began filming, but maybe she's joining later? It's not that im doubting Mystical personally, I'm just wondering. Because this is her time off between filming and promoting movie wise, she's not working on anything at the moment. So it's strange, and you'd think considering how close she and Cory were, she'd be there.:(
    This is the article I read it in, I suppose it could change but this article makes it seem like she definitely won't be.

http://fyeahgleeclub.tumblr.com/post/59489860221/glees-cory-monteith-tribute-brings-back-some-original
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Yes, it's been confirmed (the article posted is via E!)

Can't remember if we've done the song spoilers for S5EP02 yet?
    Songs are:

Here Comes - The Sun, Santana & Dani
    Revolution - Tina
    Something - Sam
    Get Back - Kurt & Rachel
    Sgt. Pepper’s Lonely Hearts Club Band - Ryder, Marley, Jake & Unique
    Let It Be - Rachel, Santana, Kurt, Tina & Artie
    Hey Jude - Blaine, Sam, Tina & Kitty

Also the episode title (also included is a possible plot spoiler) is
    Tina in the Sky with Diamonds. and there is currently a rumour that she wins Prom Queen and is then "Carrie-ed" via slushies.
  • Mystical123Mystical123 Posts: 15,820
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I was only replying to someone else, so ask the person who originally posted the information!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Cadiva wrote: »
    Mine are pretty much the exact opposite of yours. I loved S4, enjoyed most of the songs from S4, I love the new New Directions, specially Ryder and Unique, and I found most of Rachel and Kurt's storyline in NY tedious in the extreme until Santana showed up.
    Brody was an abject failure and they never developed Adam into a real character to give Kurt anything to do. The NY storylines weren't fleshed out, Cassie July was a parody and her turn around, while perfectly explained in the show, didn't work at all for me, while Sarah Jessica Parker was utterly wasted as Kurt's Vogue storyline just died a death.

The New York storyline wasn't fleshed out because they spent far too much time on rubbish, stretched out beyond belief storylines at McKinley (Ryder's online crush for one...). The best actors in the show were relegated to adding the occasional interest in NY and instead we got sub-par performances and uninteresting characters in Lima. I can't remember any of the songs from last season except O Holy Night, Girl on Fire, At the Ballet and Don't Stop Believin, all of which were in New York.

Cassie was meant to be a parody and it worked perfectly, and the Vogue storyline couldn't really go any further than it did without turning the show into The Devil Wears Prada-lite. The heart of New York was Rachel at NYADA, which was everything it should have been, and the brilliant dynamic between Rachel, Kurt and Santana. In contrast, there was very little connection or friendship at all evident in the new New Directions, certainly nothing like the brilliant group that ended season 3 as national champions. The Glee competition plotline which should be the heart of the show was done so badly compared to previous seasons, and Will and Sue's characters were ruined by the bad writing. I don't remember there being anything to like about the McKinley stuff except the one-off guest spots for returning grads (the longer storylines were abysmal) and occasionally Marley's performances.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The New York storyline wasn't fleshed out because they spent far too much time on rubbish, stretched out beyond belief storylines at McKinley (Ryder's online crush for one...). The best actors in the show were relegated to adding the occasional interest in NY and instead we got sub-par performances and uninteresting characters in Lima. I can't remember any of the songs from last season except O Holy Night, Girl on Fire, At the Ballet and Don't Stop Believin, all of which were in New York.

Cassie was meant to be a parody and it worked perfectly, and the Vogue storyline couldn't really go any further than it did without turning the show into The Devil Wears Prada-lite. The heart of New York was Rachel at NYADA, which was everything it should have been, and the brilliant dynamic between Rachel, Kurt and Santana. In contrast, there was very little connection or friendship at all evident in the new New Directions, certainly nothing like the brilliant group that ended season 3 as national champions. The Glee competition plotline which should be the heart of the show was done so badly compared to previous seasons, and Will and Sue's characters were ruined by the bad writing. I don't remember there being anything to like about the McKinley stuff except the one-off guest spots for returning grads (the longer storylines were abysmal) and occasionally Marley's performances.

And, as I've said before, I disagree. What I disagree with the most is your contention that the friendships in the new New Directions are worse than those in the original.
    The friendships between Marley and Unique, Ryder and Jake, that of Blaine and Sam, and of the wider relationship between the group as a whole have been far more believable than the original group.
    The original ND spent as much time back stabbing each other and fighting over who was going to be singing as they did supporting each other.
    Rachel declaring her "greatest achievement" at WMHS was to be friends with Quinn being just one of the most ridiculous statements made during S3 considering the fact they had absolutely no friendship at all outside of their competition for Finn.
    The friendship between Santana and Rachel is stretched in the extreme considering the previous history between them and Santana's repeated insulting and belittling of her (and yes Santana's supposed to be a bitch and "brutally honest") isn't really friendship. Rachel and Kurt's is more believable but even that has its moments where it's difficult to reconcile the actions on screen with how they've treated each other in the past.

Cassie wasn't supposed to be a parody, she was supposed to provide Rachel with a "nemesis", however she was one dimensional and cliched throughout. Her abrupt about face when "congratulating" Rachel on her audition for Funny Girl was one of the stupidest scenes in NY, only being closely rivalled by her bedding of Brody after providing Rachel and Kurt with her air miles to return to Lima for the production of Grease.
  • Shawn_LunnShawn_Lunn Posts: 9,353
    Forum Member
    Darren Criss previews the new season ...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qwxLxukMRXU
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    And, as I've said before, I disagree. What I disagree with the most is your contention that the friendships in the new New Directions are worse than those in the original.
    The friendships between Marley and Unique, Ryder and Jake, that of Blaine and Sam, and of the wider relationship between the group as a whole have been far more believable than the original group.
    The original ND spent as much time back stabbing each other and fighting over who was going to be singing as they did supporting each other.
    Rachel declaring her "greatest achievement" at WMHS was to be friends with Quinn being just one of the most ridiculous statements made during S3 considering the fact they had absolutely no friendship at all outside of their competition for Finn.
    The friendship between Santana and Rachel is stretched in the extreme considering the previous history between them and Santana's repeated insulting and belittling of her (and yes Santana's supposed to be a bitch and "brutally honest") isn't really friendship. Rachel and Kurt's is more believable but even that has its moments where it's difficult to reconcile the actions on screen with how they've treated each other in the past.

Cassie wasn't supposed to be a parody, she was supposed to provide Rachel with a "nemesis", however she was one dimensional and cliched throughout. Her abrupt about face when "congratulating" Rachel on her audition for Funny Girl was one of the stupidest scenes in NY, only being closely rivalled by her bedding of Brody after providing Rachel and Kurt with her air miles to return to Lima for the production of Grease.

Each to their own - I don't find the current ND friendships believeable. Certainly the friendship between Blaine and Tina came out of nowhere! Occasionally the Marley and Unique friendship works. But Unique is in my opinion such a bad character that even that doesn't really make me care. Marley is the only one of the current ND I remotely like as a character, and I don't think the group has any chemistry at all. I miss the days of performances like We Are Young and the Journey medley, where the chemistry between the original cast was clear to see.

And I disagree that there weren't hints of friendship between Rachel and Quinn - they came to understand each other a lot more over the course of seasons 2 and 3 (I Feel Pretty/Unpretty being one moment), and even if it's not spelt out in black and white, people grow up and become close to people they weren't originally close with. But Rachel always had a different view of her friendship with Quinn than Quinn did, and that showed in the line you quoted. Plus the writing doesn't help - in the space of about 10 episodes the writers seemed to forget entirely that Quinn had given Rachel the train tickets, not the other way around, which is just one example of how poor the season 4 writing was.

And Rachel and Santana's friendship is believable - they gained mutual respect for each other's talents in season 3, and in season 4 they both faced moving to a new city away from their loves and families, and that sort of event does bring people together. They're not best friends, no-one's ever suggesting that. But them getting on now is actually perfectly believable, and far more realistic than a lot of what was going on in McKinley last season in my opinion. Maybe I just relate more to the growing up and moving on that happens after school than the superficiality of high school, I don't know, but New York is far more relateable to me than McKinley ever was.

And I stand by what I said about Cassie being a parody - she was entirely a parody of a stereotypical stage school teacher, the whole point being that NYADA has been Rachel's dream for so long and now she's living it it's everything she expected, but not always in a good way. Cassie's treatment of Rachel was not only jealousy but designed to get the best out of her talent, and that's realistic even if the harshness was a bit overblown. Yes, her sleeping with Brody was extreme, but teacher/pupil relationships aren't non-existent, especially when it gets to college level. Whether it's tasteful or not is another thing entirely, but it's not outside the boundaries of reality.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Each to their own.

Indeed. People see and take from a show what they want to and place different interpretations and importances on what goes on on screen.

I think the new ND is a far more cohesive unit than the old ND and I think a lot of the "love" for the originals is simply that - because they were there first and people are used to them.

I don't believe the storylines in S4 were any more whacky than those in S1 (Terri's fake pregnancy being a perfect example of an utterly ridiculous story line which should never have worked but inexplicably did) and the writing has always been inconsistent with some episodes far better than others right from the pilot, same with the song choices.
    I agree that Sue's character has suffered from inconsistent character narrative but I disagree that it's bad writing, I think Ian Brennan's portrayal of Sue is utter genius. I also agree that Will's role has diminished over the show's life time. However, how much of that is to do with things outside the control of the writers (ie Matt Morrison needing time off for his album and tours etc) and how much is down to the audience losing interest in the adult characters is open to question.

However, we're not going to agree on it so let's move on as there is plenty to look forward to for Season Five.
  • Starzz123Starzz123 Posts: 1,700
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think people are too hard with the new New Directions, I personally love Marley/Kitty and Jake, Ryder needs some work and Unique just comes across as a big gimmick.

My biggest problem is Blaine, I found them sweet at first but I feel that story is done and they need to move on. The show's fans are ultimately the biggest weakness since they put so much pressure on the writers to preserve their "ships".
  • koantemplationkoantemplation Posts: 101,293
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Starzz123 wrote: »
    I think people are too hard with the new New Directions, I personally love Marley/Kitty and Jake, Ryder needs some work and Unique just comes across as a big gimmick.

My biggest problem is Blaine, I found them sweet at first but I feel that story is done and they need to move on. The show's fans are ultimately the biggest weakness since they put so much pressure on the writers to preserve their "ships".

They really need to stop with the forced love triangles too.

Can't stand the Ryder, Marley and Jake one.

I started to like Marley after she sang 'Locked out of Heaven', I thought that was one of the best performances that season.

I'm not a fan of Alex but Unique is a great character, I hope they use her more this season. Enough with the cat fish story line though.

Ryder is weak, never did like the 'actor' on the Glee project.
  • Mr.LavigneMr.Lavigne Posts: 922
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Any word on Artie's girlfriend coming back, they left that storyline open.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Starzz123 wrote: »

Blaine is somewhat overused, but I can see why they do so, Darren Criss is a talented guy with a large fan base whose comfortable singing most styles of music.
    I do wish they'd pack it in with the "shipping" storylines though, they've led to some of the worst narrative on the show over the past four seasons imo.
    Ryder is weak, never did like the 'actor' on the Glee project.

Have to disagree here, Blake Jenner is a very talented young man and I think he's doing a great job portraying a character whose having to deal with all sorts of random things thrown at him by the writers - the dyslexia, the catfishing, the abuse. They clearly trust him to pull it off and, so far, I think he has.
    I would like to see them develop a friendship between him and Kitty (not a relationship) and I'm interested to see where they're going to take the revelation of Unique being "Katie".
    Mr.Lavigne wrote: »
    Any word on Artie's girlfriend coming back, they left that storyline open.

Haven't heard anything about Ali returning no.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Have to disagree here, Blake Jenner is a very talented young man and I think he's doing a great job portraying a character whose having to deal with all sorts of random things thrown at him by the writers - the dyslexia, the catfishing, the abuse. They clearly trust him to pull it off and, so far, I think he has.
    I would like to see them develop a friendship between him and Kitty (not a relationship) and I'm interested to see where they're going to take the revelation of Unique being "Katie".

no.

He is as bland as a bland thing in a bland parade.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    He is as bland as a bland thing in a bland parade.

In your opinion, others clearly disagree considering he won Choice TV Breakout Star at the Teen Choice Awards and has received critical praise from most of the major TV writers for his performance during S4 of Glee.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    In your opinion, others clearly disagree considering he won Choice TV Breakout Star at the Teen Choice Awards and has received critical praise from most of the major TV writers for his performance during S4 of Glee.

Says more about the Teen Choice Awards than it does Ryder.

One Direction, nuff said.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Says more about the Teen Choice Awards than it does Ryder.

One Direction, nuff said.

So you'll be disparaging Lea Michele's win there as well then, and Chord Overstreet's?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    So you'll be disparaging Lea Michele's win there as well then, and Chord Overstreet's?

I certainly don't consider the Teen Choice awards a sign of good acting or singing.

Just of good promotion.

Unique should have won over Ryder anyday.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The Teen Choice awards are a popularity contest, not about talent. I don't think either Chord Overstreet or Blake Jenner are award worthy in the slightest. Lea is a star though, and the difference is that she wins more grown-up (albeit still popularity contest) awards like People's Choice awards and is nominated for the much more prestigious Golden Globe and Emmy awards, which are voted for by those in the industry rather than pre-teen fans.

Lea, Chris Colfer and Naya Rivera are in a different class of talent to all the other kids/graduates on the show in my opinion. Darren and Melissa are talented too, but I don't think they're just as good as those 3.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 19
    Forum Member
    I certainly don't consider the Teen Choice awards a sign of good acting or singing.

Just of good promotion.

Unique should have won over Ryder anyday.

Really? I find Unique to be one of the worst characters on the show, incredibly annoying and Alex Newall to be one of the worst actors, he's just terrible. But obviously it's your opinion...
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The Teen Choice awards are a popularity contest, not about talent. I don't think either Chord Overstreet or Blake Jenner are award worthy in the slightest. Lea is a star though, and the difference is that she wins more grown-up (albeit still popularity contest) awards like People's Choice awards and is nominated for the much more prestigious Golden Globe and Emmy awards, which are voted for by those in the industry rather than pre-teen fans.

Lea, Chris Colfer and Naya Rivera are in a different class of talent to all the other kids/graduates on the show in my opinion. Darren and Melissa are talented too, but I don't think they're just as good as those 3.

Lea hasn't been nominated for an Emmy since 2010 and a Golden Globe since 2011. Chris Colfer was last nominated in 2011 when he won the Globe. Neither of them has been nominated for 2013.

The Peoples' Choice Award is voted for by members of the public in exactly the same way as the Teen Choice Awards. Lea Michele won again in 2013 (having also won the previous year) against Sofia Vergara, Jane Lynch, Kaley Cuoco and Zooey Deschanel while Chris Colfer won against Jesse Tyler Ferguson, Ty Burrell, Jim Parsons and Neil Patrick Harris, so yes I'd say that was a popularity contest considering the talent of the "opposition".
    Interestingly enough, while some of the same actors in their PC categories were also nominated this year for Screen Actors Guild Awards for male and female lead in a comedy, neither Lea Michele or Chris Colfer were although they received an Ensemble Award nomination alongside the rest of the cast.

Denigrating the relevance of winning a Teen Choice Award is a bit of a red herring when the only equivalent awards that Lea and Chris have won in the past two years are the "grown up" version.

While I love both Lea and Chris and think they are incredible talents, neither of them has been recognised by significant award nominations or wins with the exception of Chris Colfer's Golden Globe win in 2011.
  • JCRJCR Posts: 24,064
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Off topic but the Golden Globes are voted for by 95 journos who are near legendary for voting for whoever threw 'em the best party / gave 'em the best swag.

They're not much up from meaningless.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Lea hasn't been nominated for an Emmy since 2010 and a Golden Globe since 2011. Chris Colfer was last nominated in 2011 when he won the Globe. Neither of them has been nominated for 2013.

While I love both Lea and Chris and think they are incredible talents, neither of them has been recognised by significant award nominations or wins with the exception of Chris Colfer's Golden Globe win in 2011.

Yes, I know the People's Choice award is voted for by the people, I made that point myself about it being a similar popularity contest to the Teen Choice, though I give it a little more credence as it's slightly less dominated by fangirls/boys and One Direction addicts...

Whether or not Lea and Chris were nominated for Emmys or Golden Globes this year or last is irrelevant, the fact remains that they are the only ones of the student-playing cast who have ever been nominated for awards that are voted for by critics and by their peers. Just a nomination at some point in a career for the Globes/SAGs/Emmys holds far more weight in terms of a measure of talent in my opinion than any popularity contest award win. If you focus just on wins you're essentially claiming that only award-winners are talented, and given the history of brilliant people who've been unfortunate enough to give their best performances in the same year as others (Oscars, Emmys, SAGs, Golden Globes, same principle applies) and therefore have never won but have multiple nominations. Doesn't make them any less talented than the winners, a great deal of the significance is in the nomination.

JCR wrote: »
    Off topic but the Golden Globes are voted for by 95 journos who are near legendary for voting for whoever threw 'em the best party / gave 'em the best swag.

They're not much up from meaningless.

In terms of publicity value and appearance of status though, they're still a step up from public vote awards - they have slightly less unpredictability and do at least tend to get the nominees right if not the winners.