iphone 5S or HTC One?

Comments

• anyonefortennisanyonefortennis Posts: 111,858
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Stiggles wrote: »
    Yet the standby and talk time ratings of the HTC One are almost double that of the iphone 5S.....

I watched that video you mentioned and saw nothing of what you said apart from the battery under heavy use was about the same.

The ratings may be double on paper but not in reality. There is (or was about 3 weeks ago) a video saying how the talk times and standby times on both phones are pretty much the same after they'd tested them.
  • jonner101jonner101 Posts: 3,410
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have never had that issue on any Android phone i have had. When you come out of any app that uses gps etc is stop the gps completely whether its shut down properly or not.

My N4 does not flatten when using navigation nor does it flatten if i leave GPS on which ive just looked at and its on and has been for over a month since thats the last time i used it!! I cant see this only happening with the HTC One either...

Ive also never seen a phone being inadvertently flattened at all.

I do find it strange that you apparently have a phone you seem to slag off constantly....:confused:

I use a brilliant app called mm tracker on the nexus 4 which is a way of navigating using the qct format memory map files.

But if this application isn't shutdown correctly it will drain the battery on the phone within a couple of hours and there is no real way of knowing without checking the running apps so you do need to know how to manage the applications in Android correctly.

I'm sure if you only use the phone in a basic way you might not see these sort of issues.
  • StigglesStiggles Posts: 9,618
    Forum Member
    jonner101 wrote: »
    I use a brilliant app called mm tracker on the nexus 4 which is a way of navigating using the qct format memory map files.

But if this application isn't shutdown correctly it will drain the battery on the phone within a couple of hours and there is no real way of knowing without checking the running apps so you do need to know how to manage the applications in Android correctly.

I'm sure if you only use the phone in a basic way you might not see these sort of issues.

Ah so an app that keeps the connection alive! Not the fault of the multitasking then nor the phone!

Can't see the app on the play store though. Wanted to have a wee look.
  • paulbrockpaulbrock Posts: 16,632
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Can't see the app on the play store though. Wanted to have a wee look.

It was pulled for copyright violations and hasn't been updated officially in over a year. I'm not sure its a great example of app use...
    Forum Member
    paulbrock wrote: »
    It was pulled for copyright violations and hasn't been updated officially in over a year. I'm not sure its a great example of app use...

Oh well!! :D
  • sammyvinesammyvine Posts: 3,015
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    what phone has the better battery life?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 13,367
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    sammyvine wrote: »
    what phone has the better battery life?

HTC One, as stated above.

I would say, though, that with almost any modern smartphone, you're going to get an absolute maximum of two days' usage out of it, unless you're an incredibly light user. I guess most people have got used to just charging them overnight these days.
    Forum Member
    HTC One, as stated above.

I would say, though, that with almost any modern smartphone, you're going to get an absolute maximum of two days' usage out of it, unless you're an incredibly light user. I guess most people have got used to just charging them overnight these days.

Indeed. My phone always lasts the day. Never had any phone die on me yet.

I just plonk mine on the charger now when i go to bed without thinking now.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 13,367
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Indeed. My phone always lasts the day. Never had any phone die on me yet.

I just plonk mine on the charger now when i go to bed without thinking now.

I think we've just got used to it. We just use them for so much stuff now that they're never going to be like the phones of old, that last for days and days on end.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oh well!! :D

It was updated actually to work for 4.3 quite recently
    The copy right violation is very debatable to be honest, because all you are doing is viewing maps you already own. The google play store is not the only place to purchase applications btw

If you want another example of a brilliant app i can point you to torque which will connect to a blue tooth enabled obd 2 connector on you car to monitor in real time various info and diagnose any faults. This will also drain battery if not shut down properly.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    deleted
  • tdensontdenson Posts: 5,773
    Forum Member
    My N4 does not flatten when using navigation nor does it flatten if i leave GPS on which ive just looked at and its on and has been for over a month since thats the last time i used it!! I cant see this only happening with the HTC One either...

Ive also never seen a phone being inadvertently flattened at all.

I do find it strange that you apparently have a phone you seem to slag off constantly....:confused:

There is a world of difference between having GPS switched on and using a navigation app. You yourself said some time ago (in the context of an NFC debate) that you have no use at all for GPS apps, so I hardly think your experience is valid.

As it happens I am in Kenya at the moment and I am making a lot of use of tethering. As a case in point I started this morning with both phones fully charged. As you may be aware from another thread I have had a problem getting the HTC to work with data until later this afternoon so most of my use today has been the iPhone. However, the iPhone is currently showing 45% and the HTC 12%. And this is just typical of my experience most of the time. You can tell me I am lying but the fact is my real world experience of the two phones constantly has the HTC flattening first - and I typically use it less.
    And for the record, I do like the HTC, particularly the larger screen, just wish Apple would do a 4.7 - 5" one as I think IOS makes a better job of making the display legible. Android suffers from the original problem Windows had with high res displays - tiny text, I usually have to don my reading glasses with the HTC but not with the iPhone.
    I also like the Swype keyboard, and I also like the fact that the wifi hotspot always works reliably with Android - I have loads of problems with the iPhone one, hence my keenness today to get the HTC working as well with data.
    So, I'm not totally tunnel vision in favour of Apple, just like to think that owning both I can be objective about their strengths and weaknesses.
    Forum Member
    tdenson wrote: »
    There is a world of difference between having GPS switched on and using a navigation app. You yourself said some time ago (in the context of an NFC debate) that you have no use at all for GPS apps, so I hardly think your experience is valid.

Yet people who never used NFC's opinion was apparently valid. Nice to know...
    As it happens I am in Kenya at the moment and I am making a lot of use of tethering. As a case in point I started this morning with both phones fully charged. As you may be aware from another thread I have had a problem getting the HTC to work with data until later this afternoon so most of my use today has been the iPhone. However, the iPhone is currently showing 45% and the HTC 12%. And this is just typical of my experience most of the time. You can tell me I am lying but the fact is my real world experience of the two phones constantly has the HTC flattening first - and I typically use it less.
    And for the record, I do like the HTC, particularly the larger screen, just wish Apple would do a 4.7 - 5" one as I think IOS makes a better job of making the display legible. Android suffers from the original problem Windows had with high res displays - tiny text, I usually have to don my reading glasses with the HTC but not with the iPhone.
    I also like the Swype keyboard, and I also like the fact that the wifi hotspot always works reliably with Android - I have loads of problems with the iPhone one, hence my keenness today to get the HTC working as well with data.
    So, I'm not totally tunnel vision in favour of Apple, just like to think that owning both I can be objective about their strengths and weaknesses.

Enlarge the text then!!

OK, well i'm possibly picking up an HTC One next week as i've taken quite a fancy to it. Haven't fully decided yet. So, if you can tell me the apps you use that apparently kill the phone in less than a day i'll have a wee look.

I'm asking this is we used GPS for nearly 6 hours on my nexus 4 while in Kefalonia last month doing a tour of the island and when we got back to where came from i still had just under half the battery left. So based on that i'm a bit confused how the HTC dies so quickly yet the iphone seems to be fine!!
    Forum Member

All I was saying was the fact that you had GPS switched on and the battery didn't drain proves little.

Enlarge the text then!!

The first thing I did when I got it was Settings/Display/Font Size/Large
    OK, well i'm possibly picking up an HTC One next week as i've taken quite a fancy to it. Haven't fully decided yet. So, if you can tell me the apps you use that apparently kill the phone in less than a day i'll have a wee look.

I'm asking this is we used GPS for nearly 6 hours on my nexus 4 while in Kefalonia last month doing a tour of the island and when we got back to where came from i still had just under half the battery left. So based on that i'm a bit confused how the HTC dies so quickly yet the iphone seems to be fine!!

Gladly, as I'm genuinely curious to know whether I have a rogue battery, although I'm sceptical of that as I did have exactly the same problem with the Nexus 4 I had previously. Also, some things run very well without draining the battery.
    I will pick a free app and do some time tests on mine, but it will probably be after I get back from Kenya in a couple of weeks.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    is there any phone besides the nexus 5 that can challenge the htc one?

the htc one is old now and has been out for ages....want a new phone
    Forum Member
    Ironically, in the middle of typing that last post my HTC battery died and I lost my hotspot to this laptop. It's a real PITA as Safaricom SIMs are automatically locked when you reboot the phone and I had to go rummaging around for the unlock code.

I think tethering is another thing that Android does badly as regards multitasking. I never ever disconnect my iPhone hotspot, I leave it always switched on. I just can't do that with the HTC.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Enlarge the text then!!

Were you actually running a nav app for 6 hours or was it just gps enabled in settings ?

If you were only say checking google maps every now and then it only turns on the gps as and when it needs it. If you hit the home key it will then switch it off as google maps works that way.

Some more advanced tracker type nav apps obviously need to run the gps continuously which will drain the battery and depending on how the app is designed they can run in the background. This is both the advantage and disadvantage of Android in a way as you have more options but at the same time if you're not careful it can be easy to leave something running that will run down the battery unexpectedly.

AFAIK the gps radio on an iPhone is controlled by the apps and there is not a separate user setting, but I only ever use google maps on my iPhone.

Edit I just remembered that there is an enable location services setting on the iPhone which determines if the gps and wifi can be used to determine location. I just leave this on.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    sammyvine wrote: »
    is there any phone besides the nexus 5 that can challenge the htc one?

the htc one is old now and has been out for ages....want a new phone

well the padfone infinity is pretty much the same spec as the HTC 1 (the latest padfone exceeds it). Not cheap, and not easy to get hold of, but it does come with a 10" tablet :)

http://www.engadget.com/2013/05/21/asus-padfone-infinity-review/

Possibly available just as a phone without the tablet station, but then that'll be even rarer...
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    well the padfone infinity is pretty much the same spec as the HTC 1 (the latest padfone exceeds it). Not cheap, and not easy to get hold of, but it does come with a 10" tablet :)

Possibly available just as a phone without the tablet station, but then that'll be even rarer...

Ewwwww no thanks looool
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

This product just looks like a totally horrendous mess. What were they thinking !
  • finbaarfinbaar Posts: 4,818
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

It is a sexy looking phone but I don't think many would want it with the tablet station. I wonder if it is running 4.2 yet? I can't see it getting 4.3 never mind 4.4.
    Forum Member
    Talking of better drain, I downloaded a currency conversion app today and when I press a certain button in the app I get the following - https://www.dropbox.com/s/84a2pnqslw1r3x1/IMG_3981.PNG

I actually have no battery drain problem. Is this some form of malware, it has that dramatic look.
    Forum Member
    Talking of better drain, I downloaded a currency conversion app today and when I press a certain button in the app I get the following - https://www.dropbox.com/s/84a2pnqslw1r3x1/IMG_3981.PNG

I actually have no battery drain problem. Is this some form of malware, it has that dramatic look.

What app was it? As for the pic, its just an advert!
    Forum Member
    What app was it? As for the pic, its just an advert!

The app is called currency convert. I realise it's an advert but it's typical of those adverts on Windows or Mac OS X that tell you something is wrong with your machine when it isn't and usually turns out to be malware.
    I've just run it again and it's now redirected me to freshmobilecontent.com which is telling me my mobile device is infected with a virus, 617,493 threats found in the last 7 days and offering me an AV download.
    Seems like a dodgy bit of software to me - even though it came from the app store which is immune from such things :):):):):):)
    Forum Member
    The app is called currency convert. I realise it's an advert but it's typical of those adverts on Windows or Mac OS X that tell you something is wrong with your machine when it isn't and usually turns out to be malware.
    I've just run it again and it's now redirected me to freshmobilecontent.com which is telling me my mobile device is infected with a virus, 617,493 threats found in the last 7 days and offering me an AV download.
    Seems like a dodgy bit of software to me - even though it came from the app store which is immune from such things :):):):):):)

Its not immune from adverts which this is all it is! No different to apps offering to download games.

Personally i would just ignore it or just uninstall it :)