Jimmy Saville to be revealed as a paedophile? (Part 7)

Comments

• muntamunta Posts: 18,285
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yorkie47 wrote: »
    Yes, I do appreciate what you are saying. I have never been willing to accept inappropriate behaviour and will say something immediately. I know that can be very difficult for some people. In a case such as yours, I would have suggested reporting to a superior. Women should never be subjected to this sort of thing and there's usually a way round it. I just don't see it as "criminal" and I really don't think the Police should be involved. You do meet these people when you are a young woman. It's just life.

Of course, now I'm 66 and completely invisible to the entire male population! :cool:

Men are also subject to it. I've been groped a number of times by both males and females. I would never consider it criminal though. That's not to say that technically it isn't a criminal offence, just that I think its pretty minor and nothing that I can't cope with. Other people would obviously feel it different though.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 595
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Whilst researching this I never realised that Phil Taylor is also a known sex offender

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-42543/Darts-champion-fined-indecent-assaults.html

Can we please start to make some distinction between serious sex offences and groping/fondling?

Phil Taylor was fined for attempting to fondle/kiss women who were drunk. It is not an excuse but surely you cannot call him a "sex offender" ? A kiss isn't sex no matter what the circumstances are and the report gives no indication of anything more serious. Phil Taylor may be a fool but he is certainly not a sex offender.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 915
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Dave Lee Travis. Was expecting to have heard more news early this week, as the last news report said he was bailed untill April. It's now May, and no news. His alleged crimes seem to be nothing more than one or two cases of quick bum or breast groping of grown women over the age of 18 back in the 70's. Whilst I don't condone that behaviour, and is very unnaceptable in the age we live in now, life was very different back then. He should be found innocent and his name cleared, and be allowed to get on with the rest of his life. Back in 1992 when I was at college a couple of girls groped my bum. Can I now goto the police to report these two girls, have them arrested and brought to court for sentencing? NO, I would be laughed at by police and told to bugger off and stop wasting police time![/QUOTE]

It's a lot more than "one or two cases of groping" and it's also not just the 70s/80s! There's more to come
  • Yorkie47Yorkie47 Posts: 1,487
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    munta wrote: »
    Men are also subject to it. I've been groped a number of times by both males and females. I would never consider it criminal though. That's not to say that technically it isn't a criminal offence, just that I think its pretty minor and nothing that I can't cope with. Other people would obviously feel it different though.

I know men are subject to it too. My mum used to work in a chocolate factory and back in the 60s they used to "initiate" young men by stripping them and putting chocolate on their bits. I swear this is true, unbelievable as it sounds.

In fact, I often think that if women were treated as men are sometimes there would be hell to pay. I can remember on Big Brother when the women were having fun chasing one of the men and trying to take his towel off. They succeeded and he had to run naked into the pool. Imagine that happening if a load of men were chasing a woman? It would have been a sexual assault and I see no difference when it happens to a man.

This behaviour should never be tolerated but I still think there should be no police involvement - they have enough to do dealing with proper crimes!
  • Aidan11Aidan11 Posts: 539
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    When ITV did a tribute to The Sweeney, Lynda Bellingham said that when she first appeared on the show and did her first scene, Thaw & Waterman tried to put her off by dropping their trousers and underwear off camera but in full view of her.

She obvoiusly wasn't fazed by it but it shows what goes on in the world of TV and less stronger actresses might have been upset by something like this.
  • jjnejjne Posts: 6,580
    Forum Member
    I know men are subject to it too. My mum used to work in a chocolate factory and back in the 60s they used to "initiate" young men by stripping them and putting chocolate on their bits. I swear this is true, unbelievable as it sounds.

Putting aside the nastiness of this, the idea of potential contamination of a Mars Bar by bits of men's genitals is enough to put me off choccie bars for life :(
  • Yorkie47Yorkie47 Posts: 1,487
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jjne wrote: »
    Putting aside the nastiness of this, the idea of potential contamination of a Mars Bar by bits of men's genitals is enough to put me off choccie bars for life :(

I hasten to add that the chocolate was not used later!
  • skp20040skp20040 Posts: 66,872
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Aidan11 wrote: »
    When ITV did a tribute to The Sweeney, Lynda Bellingham said that when she first appeared on the show and did her first scene, Thaw & Waterman tried to put her off by dropping their trousers and underwear off camera but in full view of her.

She obvoiusly wasn't fazed by it but it shows what goes on in the world of TV and less stronger actresses might have been upset by something like this

But whilst some may find that tasteless it was as it sounded done as a joke as opposed to sexual harrassment not saying its correct but sounded like it wasn't meant as harrassment.

And if we are honest its not just Tv where such things went on.
  • PencilBreathPencilBreath Posts: 3,643
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    when are they coming for the krankies? *shudder*
  • skp20040skp20040 Posts: 66,872
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

The Krankies will be ok, they were into consensual swinging with adults, mind you since reading that I have never viewed Crackerjack the same way anymore :D
  • PencilBreathPencilBreath Posts: 3,643
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    they were so vile & disturbing. & that wierdo with emu.

god how we were brainwashed.
  • drillbitdrillbit Posts: 1,687
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    & that wierdo with emu.

reckon he was the cleanest of them all
  • Phoenix LazarusPhoenix Lazarus Posts: 17,305
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    drillbit wrote: »
    reckon he was the cleanest of them all

Well, when I watched a documentary on Rod Hull, one bloke was talking about seeing Emu's beak grabbing breasts and genitals, when Rod Hull took him into the audience!:eek:
  • IzzySIzzyS Posts: 11,045
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yes, I do appreciate what you are saying. I have never been willing to accept inappropriate behaviour and will say something immediately. I know that can be very difficult for some people. In a case such as yours, I would have suggested reporting to a superior. Women should never be subjected to this sort of thing and there's usually a way round it. I just don't see it as "criminal" and I really don't think the Police should be involved. You do meet these people when you are a young woman. It's just life.

Of course, now I'm 66 and completely invisible to the entire male population! :cool:

If I remember right, someone further above us (staffing wise) did take him aside and talked to him but I think it turned out he had a bit of a dodgy past - he had mental health issues and took alot of medication, so I don't know if that affected his libido or what(?!). I think perhaps there's a push to reach out to people who haven't been in education or wouldn't normally look into it, there have been day release groups from HMP in the past - its reassuring to know convicts are on the premises but I suppose everyone deserves a chance to rehabilitate and educate themselves, as long as they act civily.

Thats the only time there's been that particular warning/issue, that I can think of, thankfully (thats ignoring the ocassional wolf whistle and groups of boys shouting out particularly rude words, to try to get a reaction - got to love teens(!)). There's a personal alarm and a security system on the door too that an ex-co worker insisted we got but I close up at 6pm nowadays, which is earlier than in the past. My ex-co worker used to claim I should never do the money at the end of the day in sight of any exchange students from abroad incase because it seems she never trusted them :eek: talk about outdated thinking :rolleyes: but thats a whole other issue(!).
    munta wrote: »

I'm sorry to hear that - can't be particularly pleasant, regardless of gender.
    I hasten to add that the chocolate was not used later!

Thank gosh for that :eek::o:rolleyes:

Thinking about my childhood, I'd be pretty devastated if Timmy Mallett was found to be guilty of similar things. I was a massive Wacaday fan - I was tweeting about that recently after finding some old 80s footage and a friend said she just hoped he doesnt end up being brought into this whole scandal.

If anyone is guilty of abuse or assault then of course they should be brought to justice but I guess, selfishly or not, we hope people we looked up to and looked forward to seeing on TV etc. as young kids, were decent people(!). I guess nowadays they could argue against a show like his - hitting kids with a soft mallet, thats promoting violence! :rolleyes: (j/k - kind of).
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    they were so vile & disturbing. & that wierdo with emu.

god how we were brainwashed.

I seem to remember Emu appeared on Jim'll Fix It - JS got mad because the puppet knocked his ashtray :rolleyes:
    Well, when I watched a documentary on Rod Hull, one bloke was talking about seeing Emu's beak grabbing breasts and genitals, when Rod Hull took him into the audience!:eek:

I have a vague idea I was aware of that as a kid and thats why it was particularly funny - or it was supposed to be, because the puppet was so over the top and a bit inappropriate, it took a while to bring him under control and thats what made people laugh because we couldn't do that but a cute puppet could(?). Its easy to feel, um, a bit uneasy about that now I suppose.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 445
    Forum Member
    IzzyS wrote: »

I have a vague idea I was aware of that as a kid and thats why it was particularly funny - or it was supposed to be, because the puppet was so over the top and a bit inappropriate, it took a while to bring him under control and thats what made people laugh because we couldn't do that but a cute puppet could(?). Its easy to feel, um, a bit uneasy about that now I suppose.

I think your comment highlights a very important point that we should be careful not to judge people for things that happened decades ago, maybe in all innocence, that would be totally inappropriate and have entirely different connotations today.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think your comment highlights a very important point that we should be careful not to judge people for things that happened decades ago, maybe in all innocence, that would be totally inappropriate and have entirely different connotations today.

I think it all depends (some things were never alright or should never have been acceptable) but yes, it should be put into consideration. I suppose when it came to the links in TOTP, they probably wanted some extent of audience interaction with the presenter because it was a show that appealed to young people and it might seem more interesting, more atmospheric as it were, to have a bit of flirting going on? potentially. It probably seemed pretty innocent back then, especially when we obviously didn't know about all the other allegations - hindsight is a wonderful thing and all of that.

Having said that, I don't know that its entirely fair to say anyone reporting seemingly minor assault charges are doing it purely to cash in or otherwise that their just chancers and that likely didn't suffer any effects from what may have happened (I'm not saying you think that but I've seen it suggested). It seems people didn't talk up about such things back then as they felt they wouldn't be believed or would be laughed at but for some, they might have been quite upset and perhaps lead to or worsened body issues if they were touched inappropriately, especially for a prolonged time. Plus there's also the aspect that by having this all coming out now, it highlights what we won't tolerate now, which may make people who may have such tendencies, think again.

I have a feeling in the 90s there was quite a big drive towards tackling child abuse, with Childline starting etc. and also tackling equality issues and sexism - it seems like attitudes have changed and awareness about such things has heightened, certainly in the last 20 years or so.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 17,021
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Just saw Martin Brunt's tweet about it.
    @skymartinbrunt
    #nigelevans Deputy speaker Nigel Evans MP arrested on suspicion of rape and sexual assault. Allegations made by two young men. PM informed.
  • Joy DeanJoy Dean Posts: 21,346
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Daisydoes wrote: »
    Dave Lee Travis. Was expecting to have heard more news early this week, as the last news report said he was bailed untill April. It's now May, and no news. His alleged crimes seem to be nothing more than one or two cases of quick bum or breast groping of grown women over the age of 18 back in the 70's. Whilst I don't condone that behaviour, and is very unnaceptable in the age we live in now, life was very different back then. He should be found innocent and his name cleared, and be allowed to get on with the rest of his life. Back in 1992 when I was at college a couple of girls groped my bum. Can I now goto the police to report these two girls, have them arrested and brought to court for sentencing? NO, I would be laughed at by police and told to bugger off and stop wasting police time!

And others were arrested last year and bailed; but no news.
  • Terry WigonTerry Wigon Posts: 6,831
    Forum Member
    Considering JS was a prolific sex offender over so many decades, I expected there to be more arrests under the 'Savile and others' strand of the investigation.

Instead it has opened the floodgates generally but it seems those who enabled Savile to carry on over those years have not yet been 'brought to book'.
  • CryolemonCryolemon Posts: 8,670
    Forum Member
    Considering JS was a prolific sex offender over so many decades, I expected there to be more arrests under the 'Savile and others' strand of the investigation.

Instead it has opened the floodgates generally but it seems those who enabled Savile to carry on over those years have not yet been 'brought to book'.

It's possible that those who "enabled" it are either dead or were distant enough that they have enough deniability over what was going on.
  • davidmcndavidmcn Posts: 12,086
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Cryolemon wrote: »
    It's possible that those who "enabled" it are either dead or were distant enough that they have enough deniability over what was going on.

And generally speaking, turning a blind eye to someone else's criminal offences isn't in itself an offence.
This discussion has been closed.