A Cat Named Easter - A Tori Amos Appreciation Thread

Comments

• That_GuyThat_Guy Posts: 1,421
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It is a hidden gem! Have you heard that live solo version? I can upload it if you like. The whole show is great.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Happy birthday to Under the Pink by the way. Second disc of A Piano is keeping me company tonight!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Can't wait for the new album!
  • Gigi4Gigi4 Posts: 3,631
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That_Guy wrote: »
    Can't wait for the new album!

Me, too. There's still a lot of mystery around what kind of music will be on the album. We really haven't gotten any kind of information on what it will sound like. But on her website toriamos.com she did post some behind the scenes pictures of the album cover shoot. They are pictures of what looks like an abandoned warehouse with grafitti or very modern art. I always find Tori's visuals very interesting and unique. I know some people feel it should be just about the music, but I think the visual side adds a lot to an artist.00
  • Pele-thefiregoddessPele-thefiregoddess Posts: 6,170
    Forum Member
    no she is a very visceral artist.... she is amazing.... lots of her videos and images have been copied by mainstream acts.... I am so hoping for a return to the 'boys for pele' sound - dark, deep, spiritually eccentric and warm. Bu ti would be happy with a return to the sound of any of the 4 albums. They were outstanding!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'd love a Scarlet's Walk 2.0. You know, a kind of where we are 12 years on.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Here's the new album cover.
    http://perezhilton.com/2014-02-18-exclusive-tori-amos-unrepentant-geraldines-cover-art-new-music

She went for a simple fashion look. Definitely not the avant garde look I was expecting. But I think it works well. Sometimes less is more. I feel this album may have a stripped down piano sound to it.

And there will be a big Tori announcement tomorrow. I can't wait!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yep, she is beautiful and natural here.
    Forum Member
    wow - what a different kind of album cover... I am shocked ...but thats a good thing. She looks stunning. I have a feeling that this album will be a return to the visual pop piano form. Now that is exciting.
    Forum Member
    just looked on wiki and found this quote

The album is describes as "an appreciative portrayal of the singer's experiences with visual art". Also confirming her return to pop music and the piano at its core, Amos told Rolling Stone magazine in February:

"I've always been inspired by visual artists of all mediums because, as with music, art is not a job you can go to and leave from, but it is something that defines who and what you are [...] Visual artists shake up our brains and force us to look at everything, from objects we don't normally think twice about to people we might not have cared about. In one image, they can remind us of nature's power to enchant, as well as humankind's fruitless attempt to overpower her or simply second-guess her. Through the visual artist's application of tone, shape, pattern and pigment, I not only begin to see, but I can honestly say I begin to hear."

and the genre of the album is described as 'Pop music, Piano rock, Alternative rock'

omg ...is she making her very own 'art pop' album ?
    Forum Member
    i have looked back at all her albums and none of them have been defined as 'pop music'.

Which of her albums or songs have been the most pop.....

that guy... i think scarlet walk 2.0 may not be far off?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    i have looked back at all her albums and none of them have been defined as 'pop music'.

Which of her albums or songs have been the most pop.....

that guy... i think scarlet walk 2.0 may not be far off?

To me, all of her albums except Night of the Hunters are pop. To me pop just means non-classical and non-jazz. It's a very broad term to me.

Some people are saying the usual band members who she usually works with didn't play on this album. So it seems it might be a album with just her playing piano and other keyboards, thus the unrepentant part of the title.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Here's a press release from Tori's record label about the new album.
    http://www.universalmusicclassics.com/tori-amos-to-release-unrepentant-geraldines-may-13th-on-mercury-classicsuniversal-music-classics/

It refers to the album as pop/rock, which to me means it will probably not be a solo piano album, but incorporate other instruments such as guitar and drums. It also says a return to the inspiring and personal music that she is known for. I don't know what that means exactly. But some of her earlier records were more personal and relatable lyrically, whereas recently her lyrics have become more esoteric.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I suppose a lot of her albums are pop/rock, accept for Night of Hunters and maybe Boys for Pele. I am so looking forward to this release. It will be her first album of original material in 5 years. It's also nice to see that Matt and Jon are not on the album. She's branching out! I love the new promo shot too. Has everyone seen it?
    http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/tori-amos-to-get-unrepentant-on-new-album-20140219
    Best she's looked in over 10 years..and definitely the best album cover since Scarlet.
    Forum Member
    in answer to gigi - I guess as a musician I have always gone the main view of pop as just popular music - mainstream appeal. It borrows from various genres and makes them accessible to mass appeal. 'pure pop' is perhaps the ultra finalised polished form. Classical can be pop too - as in classical pop - which is something of a very big seller in the UK thanks to certain talent shows lol. Tori never has really done 'pure pop' - but perhaps 'happy worker' is her closest) however thats because she always been considered an alternative artist - which is why I like her. she is creative and experimental. A true artist. But I do love pop and pure pop music too. I have varied tastes. No particular style. As long as its done well with 'heart, soul and energy'. For me music should always be about 'heart, soul and energy'.

Perhaps looking back her most 'pop' releases were

Y Kant Tori Read
    little earthquakes (in places)
    Scarlets walk
    to venus and back

what do you think? Could these albums be in the mix for the new album?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think there are several different meanings of pop music. Yes, it can mean anything that has mainstream appeal, but it can also be a genre in of itself. It can mean anything that is melodic, not too hard or heavy, more tending to rely on live instruments rather than purely electronics. You can record pop music without being famous or that successful.
    But in this instance, the record label may mean it as just non-classical. Tori's album is being released on Mercury Classics and her last album was classically inspired so some people might think this is another classical album. So I think they just want to clarify its her return to her previous less totally classical style of music.
    Forum Member
    gigi, there is no denying pop music is its own genre, hence the discussion on its genre specificity; but i disagree with regards it being not too heavy and involving live instruments as you suggest. But I think you may be right in terms of the classical label trying to signal this album as non-classical.

Ps - we seem to have some similar fave music tastes but maybe differing opinions, but what does gigi represent? are you a jlo fan?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Gigi is just a nickname that my friends call me. Nothing to do with JLo. I'm not a fan of her at all. I don't want to give my full name, but my initials are GG so that's where it comes from.

The latest rumour about the Tori album is that the songs are inspired by female painters and photographers, thus the cover of her with the painting behind her and she also referenced visual artists in that Rolling Stone interview. I guess also the Unrepentant Geraldines are the various female artists. Some people suggested that artists inspiring the album are Diane Arbus, Cindy Sherman and Nan Goldin. Very interesting. I wonder if songs will also be inspired by Frida Kahlo and Tamara de Lempicka who are two of Madonna's favourite artists and are iconic female artists. It's very interesting because Madonna has also talked about being inspired by various female artists and photographers.

I love Nan Goldin's book, the Ballad of Sexual Dependency, which was inspired by the post punk/new wave scene of NYC during the 1980's. This album sounds so exciting.
    Forum Member
    that sounds very Tori!
  • BadKid95BadKid95 Posts: 7,137
    Forum Member
    Got my ticket for the 11th May in Manchester!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    BadKid95 wrote: »
    Got my ticket for the 11th May in Manchester!

I got my ticket to see Tori too! I"m so excited. It's been awhile since I've seen her since I passed on the last clasically focused tour with the string quartet. I missed her. Her set lists are are always really interesting, with covers, more obscure album tracks as well as the better known singles and new songs. She's one of the few artists if I had the money and time I would go to multiple shows all around the world because she switches up the set list so much. You never know what songs she is going to do.
    Forum Member
    Gigi4 wrote: »
    I got my ticket to see Tori too! I"m so excited. It's been awhile since I've seen her since I passed on the last clasically focused tour with the string quartet. I missed her. Her set lists are are always really interesting, with covers, more obscure album tracks as well as the better known singles and new songs. She's one of the few artists if I had the money and time I would go to multiple shows all around the world because she switches up the set list so much. You never know what songs she is going to do.

This is my first time seeing her! I know she's done some great covers in the past like Madonna's Live to Tell and Fleetwood Mac's Dreams so I'm excited to see what she comes up with! The Manchester date is actually the day before she releases her new album I think
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This is my first time seeing her! I know she's done some great covers in the past like Madonna's Live to Tell and Fleetwood Mac's Dreams so I'm excited to see what she comes up with! The Manchester date is actually the day before she releases her new album I think

Wow! Enjoy! I've seen her many times. If you are interested, there's this website that keep track of what songs she does on her tours and how many dates she does them on each tour. She also once did Like A Prayer and also Can't Get You Out of My Head by Kylie.

http://www.toriset.org/
    Forum Member
    Gigi4 wrote: »
    Wow! Enjoy! I've seen her many times. If you are interested, there's this website that keep track of what songs she does on her tours and how many dates she does them on each tour. She also once did Like A Prayer and also Can't Get You Out of My Head by Kylie.

http://www.toriset.org/

Oh thank you! That's really good, nice to see she continues to do Winter, I listened to the version on Gold Dust which I really liked, some artists lose the spark I guess with certain songs as they get older but Tori remains at the top of her game! I will have to have a thorough look through :)

Edit: oh wow she does some excellent covers!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oh thank you! That's really good, nice to see she continues to do Winter, I listened to the version on Gold Dust which I really liked, some artists lose the spark I guess with certain songs as they get older but Tori remains at the top of her game! I will have to have a thorough look through :)

Edit: oh wow she does some excellent covers!

Glad you liked it. Before one of her tours, she had a place on her website where fans could request certain covers. I don't think she ever did a Lady Gaga song, but I could see her doing one and it working well. There are some similiarities in Gaga's performances she does at at the piano. Is your name taken from the Bad Kids song by Gaga? That is one of my favourite Gaga songs. Imagine if Tori covered that one! That would be amazing!