Options

EE 2G/3G/4G Discussion Thread

Comments

• Options
    dabotsonlinedabotsonline Posts: 228
    Forum Member
    jonmorris wrote: »
    Surely EE is boasting about being built for speed (and it has got a big advantage over the rest) and so it can't be reaching saturation point yet?
    Not merely speedy, but the boasts that they were the fastest and most advanced LTE network in the universe (oh, but they've delayed the 300Mbps rollout... )
  • Options
    Synthetic42Synthetic42 Posts: 1,690
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I remember back when I was (stupidly) an early adopter, I saw speeds of 70Meg down early in the morning at work, these day's I'm lucky if I get more than 5Meg. I actually get faster on my Three sim on 3G DC....
  • Options
    DevonBlokeDevonBloke Posts: 6,835
    Forum Member
    enapace wrote: »
    Haha hi all been a bit. I agree with you though Jon EE certainly can't be struggling with capacity already if they are it is pretty bad news for Three and O2. If they are testing some sort of traffic shaping it isn't really on if people are paying for a set amount of data a month.

In others news EE seem to have a different time system then the rest of the world. Couple of months before Christmas I was happy to see that on EE's checker. It said I would be getting my local mast upgraded to 4G within 6 months, and it still isn't done and we are nearly 9 months on since then

PS Devon that is a pretty good signal strength and speed hope your 4G signal is just as good. Interesting it shows up as Orange instead of T-Mobile though.

Yeah thanks, I hope it's good too.
    I think as jc says it's all mixed up. It does indeed say Orange but the PLMN is 23430

Here's my B593 Stats. Now only -96 dBm. it's getting better! : )
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/gt2uao11rw7i0ff/B593_Stats.JPG
  • Options
    Deleted_User381237831Deleted_User381237831 Posts: 7,902
    Forum Member
    Well I never.... Got 28mbit on one speedtest, 13-14 on 2 others today....tried at different times. Hopefully whatever it was is sorted out! :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Ah, damn! Went to Vue last night but forgot to do a speed test! :)
  • Options
    jabbamk1jabbamk1 Posts: 8,942
    Forum Member
    DevonBloke wrote: »
    Ah, damn! Went to Vue last night but forgot to do a speed test! :)

The film was that good eh?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    How to train your Dragon 2 so no, not really! : )
    It was for the kids really but my Son (6) was really unwell and got worse in the Cinema so it mostly consisted of taking him in and out all the time.
    Plus the complex is on the outskirts of Plymouth so a couple of bars 4G outside, just 3G inside.
    Must be the first time I've gone to a 4G area and not checked it.
    Losing my touch.
    Come to think of it........ OH NO!, I lost my anorak too!
    Hahahahahahaha
  • Options
    Skippy2005Skippy2005 Posts: 735
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Skippy2005 wrote: »
    Hello guys. I hope your all well and one of you can answer me a question. Ive been suffering from very weak 2/3g signal indoors now for several days. I spoke to a very helpful guy at EE that said closet to me was being optimised (with a 30 day turn around) and another site slightly south west of me is down. Hence the signal problems.

This may sound a dumb question but does this mean the site is being upgraded? Both sites I talk about are orange sites with dire capacity as tmobile doesnt have many sites around this area. Ive looked on some forums and people have said when EE optimise a site they are basically turning it off?????

MBNL TM/3 is very weak here even outdoors but Orange is rock solid indoors and out.

So basically im asking
    1) is this being upgraded with new equipment and backhaul.
    2) is it being MBNL'd with 3
    3) is it being 4g enabled?

Im in the middle of the two sites mentioned. The site being optimised is on Carr House Rodney yard and the down site is on thornes lane (which is a macro lattice tower) im in wakefield wf1 1dg if this helps.

Thanks in advance :-)

Anyone?
  • Options
    matty1000kkmatty1000kk Posts: 387
    Forum Member
    I see the coverage map has been updated. It seems there's been a load of double speed areas added. If you can believe it as EE have a habit of updating it and then removing it a few days later.
  • Options
    michael37michael37 Posts: 2,622
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I see the coverage map has been updated. It seems there's been a load of double speed areas added. If you can believe it as EE have a habit of updating it and then removing it a few days later.

It now shows my house as green but still says coverage coming within 6 months in the text (as it has since March).
  • Options
    kevkev Posts: 21,075
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I notice where I live has seen double speed revert back to single speed from the three nearest masts! - Hmm.... Not that it matters, only on a single speed plan :D
  • Options
    lost boylost boy Posts: 1,982
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hello guys. I hope your all well and one of you can answer me a question. Ive been suffering from very weak 2/3g signal indoors now for several days. I spoke to a very helpful guy at EE that said closet to me was being optimised (with a 30 day turn around) and another site slightly south west of me is down. Hence the signal problems.

This may sound a dumb question but does this mean the site is being upgraded? Both sites I talk about are orange sites with dire capacity as tmobile doesn't have many sites around this area. I've looked on some forums and people have said when EE optimise a site they are basically turning it off?????

MBNL TM/3 is very weak here even outdoors but Orange is rock solid indoors and out.

So basically I'm asking

I'm in the middle of the two sites mentioned. The site being optimised is on Carr House Rodney yard and the down site is on thornes lane (which is a macro lattice tower) I'm in Wakefield wf1 1dg if this helps.

Thanks in advance :-)
    Anyone?

Well, as you're looking for some sort of answer, I'll say the following (although I'm sure others will be along to agree/disagree as required):
    I've looked on some forums and people have said when EE optimise a site they are basically turning it off?????

IME this is quite true. When the EE network was "optimised" in my area, that meant masts (practically all the Orange ones for the record) were being switched off. They don't flick the switch overnight, it's done over a period of about a month or so for each mast (so they told me at the time), but the end result is the same - mast decommissioned.

With that in mind:
    So basically I'm asking

You could be lucky, as I'm not sure what EE speak is for a mast upgrade. If they specifically mentioned "network optimisation" though, I think you might be in trouble :(
  • Options
    tycho-magtycho-mag Posts: 8,664
    Forum Member
    lost boy wrote: »
    You could be lucky, as I'm not sure what EE speak is for a mast upgrade. If they specifically mentioned "network optimisation" though, I think you might be in trouble :(

I concur. My mate lived in the same street as an Orange mast, 3G speeds maxed out around 3megabit if you were lucky, but voice calls were brilliant for anyone on Orange, T-mobile or EE plans.

Last year EE turned it off - the computer prediction shows the T-Mobile masts that are both sides should cover it easily, and outdoors you get good 3G with speeds of 10Mbps or higher, and one is now 4G enabled. Sadly indoors is another matter, and he now gets no signal in many rooms. Having complained to customer services, all they could offer was a PAC code to move to another network (even whilst he was in contract) but sadly no other network is any better in that location. (Middle of a town!).

You should ask customer services for a signal boost box that connects to your broadband.
  • Options
    enapaceenapace Posts: 4,303
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Haha finally months after EE said they were bringing 4G to my house they finally have lol. I noticed on coverage map at work today it shows 1 bar outdoor did a scan inside my house tonight and it does find a EE 4G. Very likely it's overspill from far off mast as there are two MBNL masts very near me which would deliver far better signal. Sadly at moment I haven't got a EE Sim so can't test signal quality just nice to see it happen. Will pick up a EE Pay as You Go sim tomorrow test signal quality.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Haven't seen speeds like this for a while. Looks like an old Orange mast that's been upgraded as well which is good to see :)

https://www.dropbox.com/s/vi05c7wga1cmy52/Screenshot_2014-07-19-11-02-46.png
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Have EE started to install any 800mhz antennas yet?

The only reason I ask is that a semi rural 2G only Orange mast (not decommissioned as of a month ago) in my area looks to have had the old antennas removed (typical 2 antennas per sector, 6 total) and replaced with one per sector. The odd thing is they don't look like any of the newer style EE antennas but a lot longer like a Voda/O2 antenna. Have EE started installing some of the NSN flexi base stations with different Antennas?

My phone didn't connect to it on my way past so I can't say if it's transmitting at the moment but I intend to take another look. The only other thought I had is that EE have decommissioned this mast and Cornerstone (Voda/O2) have installed some newer kit.

I managed to take a closer look the other day. New antennas but still only broadcasting a 2G signal at the moment. Maybe waiting for new backhaul. Does anyone think this could be a potential 800mhz site?

https://www.dropbox.com/s/dnxinzoge21q0og/DSC_0002.JPG
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I managed to take a closer look the other day. New antennas but still only broadcasting a 2G signal at the moment. Maybe waiting for new backhaul. Does anyone think this could be a potential 800mhz site?

https://www.dropbox.com/s/dnxinzoge21q0og/DSC_0002.JPG

Its possible 800 in the future but if no 4G yet, then it could be waiting for the equipment cabinets and/or the backhaul upgrade to properly convert from Orange to MBNL and that will bring good 3G for both EE and Three - and maybe 4G later for both.
  • Options
    The Lord LucanThe Lord Lucan Posts: 5,054
    Forum Member
    How's everyone finding speeds today?
  • Options
    OrangyOrangy Posts: 1,442
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Middle average. Should something have changed?
  • Options
    bigpete15bigpete15 Posts: 250
    Forum Member

http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/i/910128459

I had no problems with speed until today!

Same location, a few minutes later it's back to normal.
    http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/i/910134560
  • Options
    jonmorrisjonmorris Posts: 21,774
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Rather good today at my parents' office. 72 down, 46 up!

That's with a Huawei 4G Cat 4 LTE router (internal antennas) and suggests things are perhaps getting back to normal. EN6 postcode.

But will it stay like that, or will I do another test tomorrow and it's back to sub-10Mbps speeds?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    jonmorris wrote: »
    Rather good today at my parents' office. 72 down, 46 up!
    Lucky for some - I guess that are might have just been enabled for double speed (2x 20) perhaps?

iPhone 5s at home tonight on EE 4G (single speed area)
    http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/i/910267897

I also have a Moto G 4G on a Three PAYG SIM, and 4G was turned on for Three in my home location last month. Over the weekend I saw 10 to 15 Mbps but tonight only 8 Mbps !
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Not bad at home in Colchester, Essex

http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/a/900756134

4G overall appears a lot quicker in past few days. I was struggling to get much over 10-15 Mbs
  • Options
    The Lord LucanThe Lord Lucan Posts: 5,054
    Forum Member
    Orangy wrote: »
    Middle average. Should something have changed?

A few things have been looked into over the weekend..
  • Options
    Forum Member
    A few things have been looked into over the weekend..

If there's one thing worse than no information, it's a hint at information but no actual information... Hahahahaha
    Thanks for... er .... nothing..! :)
This discussion has been closed.