only fools and horses - facts thread

Comments

• _Venger__Venger_ Posts: 3,223
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oh I really enjoyed reading all those facts

Only Fools & Horses is one of the few shows I can rewatch over and over and not get fed up off. Its timeless

Anyone else want to see one more episode surface before its too late? (Davd Jason dies)
  • GulftasticGulftastic Posts: 127,400
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    _Venger_ wrote: »

Anyone else want to see one more episode surface before its too late? (Davd Jason dies)

No. It's done. They got lucky with the proper final trilogy, as the few specials before them were very poor (not in the same league as the dreadful comeback specials, mind).
  • Glenn AGlenn A Posts: 23,877
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Didn't Mike the barman play a very unpleasant racist in Brookside in the early nineties?
  • _Venger__Venger_ Posts: 3,223
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Gulftastic wrote: »
    No. It's done. They got lucky with the proper final trilogy, as the few specials before them were very poor (not in the same league as the dreadful comeback specials, mind).

Oh those specials entertained me, Im not one of those snobby "it was bad writing" fans who couldn't get over the fact John Sullivan brought it back. The second episode in particular was really funny imo the one with "Gary" and Boycie staying over in the flat etc :D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 162
    Forum Member
    ftv wrote: »
    The building used as Nelson Mandela House was actually in Bristol not London

Jim Broadbent was originally offered the part of Del but had to turn it down because of other commitments.He did eventually appear in the show as a detective.

I had to laugh at this one a bit, he wasn't really a bit part detective. Slater had some pretty big parts in the show.
  • Rob22Rob22 Posts: 11,838
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    In the episode where Mickey and Jevon get beaten up by the Driscoll brothers for not selling the mobile phones (when Mickey's hand is bandaged up and Jevon in a neck-brace)

in real life, Patrick Murray (Mickey) had accidently put his hand through glass and sliced it open very badly.

So John Sullivan wrote it in the storyline, the Driscoll brothers had hurt Mickey's hand.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Instead of Del appearing on Jonathan Ross's 'goldrush' - he was originally going to be on 'who wants to be a millionaire?' with Chris Tarrant.

I cannot remember the 100% full details, but if I remember correctly it was because ITV and BBC1 couldn't agree on something, which prevented Chris Tarrant and his show from appearing in 'if they could see us now.........'
  • gerry dgerry d Posts: 12,518
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I remember reading a while back that the BBC clashed with ITV over the rights to repeats of the episode.Hence Chris Tarrant & "Who Wants To Be A Millionaire?" being written out of the episode.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 425
    Forum Member
    Don't have a fact for you guys but am a big fan of OFAH and always have been. Something I have always wanted to know (if any of you OFAH geeks can provide an answer) is the location of the church seen at the end of the Xmas special where they go to 'dig up' their gold inheritance. Episode was Freddie the Frog if i recall correctly. They claimed to be going to Hampshire and the church was right alongside a small beach. Was wondering if it really was in Hampshire as they claimed. The gold of course was actually buried at sea so the shovels were to hit rodney with!!
    Anyone know???
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 508
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The scene in the Christmas episode (sorry, don't know which, probably 1988 or 89) where Rodney is playing the hard man trying to impress his girlfriend in the car and is being chased and they go over a bump in a supposedly rough area was filmed just off St Margarets Road in Twickenham . I was a student doing my degree at the campus opposite whilst they filmed that one tiny part where they are seen driving down the road. I can't remember the road but it is opposite what are now flats down the side of a small parade of shops, somewhere near Ailsa Avenue.
  • Wallasey SaintWallasey Saint Posts: 7,626
    Forum Member
    S.P.I.K.E. wrote: »
    I had to laugh at this one a bit, he wasn't really a bit part detective. Slater had some pretty big parts in the show.

Slater was the Copper who even the Coppers hated,:D he appeared in May The Force Be With You, To Hull & Back & The Class Of 62, were it emerged that he was married to Raquel.

The scene were Del & Rodney are running through the Streets dressed at Batman & Robin was filmed in Bristol

Nelson Mandela House is based on Harlech Tower in Acton
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,584
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The scene in the Christmas episode (sorry, don't know which, probably 1988 or 89) where Rodney is playing the hard man trying to impress his girlfriend in the car and is being chased and they go over a bump in a supposedly rough area was filmed just off St Margarets Road in Twickenham . I was a student doing my degree at the campus opposite whilst they filmed that one tiny part where they are seen driving down the road. I can't remember the road but it is opposite what are now flats down the side of a small parade of shops, somewhere near Ailsa Avenue.

Yes, it was the 1988 special, 'Dates' which introduced Raquel to the series.
  • myssmyss Posts: 16,527
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Roger Lloyd-Pack can speak French, German and Italian. Busy man! ;)
  • tinmantinman Posts: 3,938
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    myss wrote: »
    Roger Lloyd-Pack can speak French, German and Italian. Busy man! ;)

so that would be,

"bien dave"
    "Ordnung dave"
    "ok dave" :D
  • ftvftv Posts: 31,668
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    gerry d wrote: »
    I remember reading a while back that the BBC clashed with ITV over the rights to repeats of the episode.Hence Chris Tarrant & "Who Wants To Be A Millionaire?" being written out of the episode.

In return for using the Millionaire format and an appearance by Tarrant ITV wanted the rights to repeat that particular episode. The BBC said No and it had to be hastily re-written at the last minute.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Gadget Guy wrote: »
    Don't have a fact for you guys but am a big fan of OFAH and always have been. Something I have always wanted to know (if any of you OFAH geeks can provide an answer) is the location of the church seen at the end of the Xmas special where they go to 'dig up' their gold inheritance. Episode was Freddie the Frog if i recall correctly. They claimed to be going to Hampshire and the church was right alongside a small beach. Was wondering if it really was in Hampshire as they claimed. The gold of course was actually buried at sea so the shovels were to hit rodney with!!
    Anyone know???

I honestly dont know mate, sorry, - I know a few only fools facts, but the location/whereabouts of the church in 'the frogs legacy' isn't 1 of them.

have you tried the official only fools site? they might tell you on their facts page.

and yes a beach, a few footsteps away from a church, that was odd, never seen that before.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 92
    Forum Member
    Anyone know???

They filmed the outside shots in Ipswich for the frogs legacy.

I've had a look around and no-one seems to know the specific location. I would guess it's still in Ipswich.

When the camera is looking out to sea, it's actually filmed in a different location to where the church is.
  • SloopySloopy Posts: 65,209
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Anyone know???

According to an OFAH location guide, it is St. Mary's Church, to the south of Helmingham Hall in Suffolk.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    In the episode 'a loosing streak' when Del and Boycie gamble lots of money at playing cards -

a word was dubbed in this episode before broadcast, because the BBC felt the word wasn't suitable

so when Del's back in the flat, asking grandad to lend him money for the poker game, watch Del's mouth, 1 of the words doesn't fit his mouth.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 92
    Forum Member
    In the very first episode and "Second Time Around there's a crystal palace scarf shown in the hallway of the flat.

It doesn't appear in any other episodes, and no mention of Crystal Palace is made.
  • speedy_gonzalesspeedy_gonzales Posts: 1,167
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Glenn A wrote: »
    Didn't Mike the barman play a very unpleasant racist in Brookside in the early nineties?

yeah i remember that,also denzil played a no good dad.
  • MarkjukMarkjuk Posts: 30,431
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    _Venger_ wrote: »
    Oh I really enjoyed reading all those facts

Only Fools & Horses is one of the few shows I can rewatch over and over and not get fed up off. Its timeless

I would! It has been mentioned by John Challis and Sue Holderness that plans were/are around for a 30th Anniversary special, this would all depend on David Jason and Nicholas Lyndhurst agreeing to appear.

I also wouldn't mind a spin off featuring the antics of a 20 y/o Damien Derek Trotter, some wideboy chav following in his fathers footsteps.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Lennard Pearce wasn't John Sullivan's 1st choice to play the part of grandad - John originally toyed with the idea of having Wilfrid Brambell play grandad.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I was thinking, could you imagine if the original cast had taken place?

Jim Broadbent as Del.
    Wilfrid Brambell as Grandad.
    and I think it was always Nicholas Lyndhurst to play Rodney - there wasn't anyone else in the pipeline was there?