Top Gear

Comments

• Jimmy_McNultyJimmy_McNulty Posts: 11,378
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What?

There were hardly any cars in it. Might has well just watch Extreme Engineering on Quest!!!
  • _SpeedRacer__SpeedRacer_ Posts: 6,724
    Forum Member
    Jeremy getting his Group Lotus and Team Lotus mixed up...
  • iamsofirediamsofired Posts: 13,054
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Typical topgear BS, like they wouldnt have researched where the topup points were beforehand for the electric cars.
  • applepie2100applepie2100 Posts: 23,466
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They're doing a very good job of proving why electric cars are about as useful as an ashtray on a motorcycle :D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,129
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm still recovering from the new Lambo...I had a little crisis watching it...:o
  • darkjedimasterdarkjedimaster Posts: 18,621
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    That green peace lecture malarkey needs to be scrapped, as it would drive me nuts. Replace it with a decent stereo lol.
  • steveh31steveh31 Posts: 13,516
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I looked at electric cars and found no charging points in Yorkshire either what's the point if you cannot charge them.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bugger I've gone from hating Walsh to liking him..Bob Seger and Night Moves...my fave Seger track...darn darn darn darn darn...Barrowman...*waves fist*...oops wrong thread...:D
  • Trappedin80'sTrappedin80's Posts: 6,270
    Forum Member
    Oh-no! Please not Louis Walsh.

Aargh!
  • danletodanleto Posts: 2,777
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well I have some good news, this is the last episode in the series.
  • stvn758stvn758 Posts: 19,656
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ex Stig. :eek:
  • GarethHarrisonGarethHarrison Posts: 2,114
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    iamsofired wrote: »
    Typical topgear BS, like they wouldnt have researched where the topup points were beforehand for the electric cars.
    But surely the point is you shouldn't need to plan your journey to be able to massively go out of your way to hit charging points - especially when whole counties are free of them!!
  • f_196f_196 Posts: 11,829
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sly digs and Ben Collins back on Top Gear.

Clearly it can't have been too personal a legal case.
  • Scot_JJScot_JJ Posts: 1,059
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ben Collins back on top gear, acknowledged as Ex-Stig..

Wow...hell has frozen over.
  • stvn758stvn758 Posts: 19,656
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Did look a little frosty there for a moment.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,204
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    iamsofired wrote: »

it highlighted one of the biggest downsides of the electric car.

In that you cant simply drive from a to b like a normal car.

And if you want to go a long distance youll have to make detours via the recharging points and then wait hours for it to be charged up.
  • Eater SundaeEater Sundae Posts: 10,000
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Scot_JJ wrote: »

"Romantic novelist":D:D:D
  • wolfticketwolfticket Posts: 913
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Scot_JJ wrote: »

Closure :)
  • Eater SundaeEater Sundae Posts: 10,000
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    it highlighted one of the biggest downsides of the electric car.

In that you cant simply drive from a to b like a normal car.

And if you want to go a long distance youll have to make detours via the recharging points and then wait hours for it to be charged up.

I wonder if a way forward might be a battery cassette. When out and about you swap your flat one for a fully charged one - a bit like caravanners do with gas bottles. You "own" the cassette in that you pay an initial charge, but then when you change it you get a different one. It would need agreement on a common design. Or a single company sets up a nationwide scheme based on its own designs

As well as effectively allowing a very quick recharge, this would also allow for the cost of the batteries to be absorbed in the refill cost. When the battery pack no longer accepts a full charge, it gets thrown away or recycled, and a new one is put into the system. Owners would then pay based on usage, and would not need to meet the large replacement cost every X years, they would be "Paying As They Go".
  • ScrubberScrubber Posts: 4,106
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Another good episode, this series has ended way too fast.

I liked Hammonds sly comments when Ben Collins was present.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 788
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I wonder if a way forward might be a battery cassette. When out and about you swap your flat one for a fully charged one - a bit like caravanners do with gas bottles. You "own" the cassette in that you pay an initial charge, but then when you change it you get a different one. It would need agreement on a common design. Or a single company sets up a nationwide scheme based on its own designs

Not that simple, for example the Leaf actually contains 48 battery modules, and they're not tiny things. Plus, they're not easily accessible, in the Leaf being in the floor of the car. So maybe if battery tech gets amazingly better someday ...but hopefully hydrogen fuel cell vehicles will be a viable alternative by then.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    danleto wrote: »
    Well I have some good news, this is the last episode in the series.

So, presumably as you do not like the show it simply means you won;t have to avoid trying not to watch a show you don't like and hence don;t watch...there are lots of programmes I don;t like and hence not watch but I don't spend time seeing when a show I don;t watch or like finishes and then hunt out a forum thread about it to announce the fact that it;s the last one...

Of course, you may reply to say you do watch it in which case WHY?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?! Sheesh....
  • wolfticketwolfticket Posts: 913
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    silent_man wrote: »
    Not that simple, for example the Leaf actually contains 48 battery modules, and they're not tiny things. Plus, they're not easily accessible, in the Leaf being in the floor of the car. So maybe if battery tech gets amazingly better someday ...but hopefully hydrogen fuel cell vehicles will be a viable alternative by then.
    The car would have to be designed from scratch with a removable swappable battery, and the leaf (and others) isn't. That doesn't mean it wouldn't work.
  • Richie1001Richie1001 Posts: 8,217
    Forum Member
    wolfticket wrote: »
    The car would have to be designed from scratch with a removable swappable battery, and the leaf (and others) isn't. That doesn't mean it wouldn't work.

With current technology it wouldn't work - not practically anyway.

The batteries used are too large and expensive - it's not the act of physically replacing them that is the problem.

I think the idea of replaceable batteries works in theory, but by the time cars can run on batteries small enough and cheap enough to work that way, a different fuel source will be in place.
  • ScottishwhiteScottishwhite Posts: 1,236
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Parking the cars in disabled spaces?

Not good

Especially with the (quite moving) last piece about the soldiers hoping to do the Dakar rally
This discussion has been closed.