Childish men in family sitcoms?

ollie_collie_c Posts: 1,474
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Hi

I am currently writing out a dissertation for my Media degree, and my topic has been analysing how a majority of modern sitcoms (90s onwards) based around families have shown that men behave more childishly than the women (I've tried sticking to UK only).

There's not a lot of program's that I've found so far that differentiate from this concept, but would like to ask whether anyone here on these forums have watched any sitcoms that do in fact show men have more of a responsible behaviour than the women and if there isn't, why has the concept remained the same?

I would just like to hear other opinions so I can get different aspects from a mixture of different people.

Comments

• lozengerlozenger Posts: 4,881
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Gosh that's an interesting one - am struggling to think of any...

The 2 that spring to mind are perhaps Gates - where all the female characters were a bit mad with a couple of blokes in the background trying to rein them in, or Gavin and Stacey - I think Mick and Gavin were fairly sensible.

Ab Fab had very silly women but not many male characters to counterbalance.

As to your question why that formula has remained the same maybe it reflects real life :D:D

What have you got so far ?
  • ganderpoke66ganderpoke66 Posts: 2,128
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    New Girl has a annoying lead female adult character who is arguably mentally unstable while the men in her life are eminently sensible.

In one tiresome 2 minute scene she attempts to say the word "Penis" and fails.
  • lozengerlozenger Posts: 4,881
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    New Girl has a annoying lead female adult character who is arguably mentally unstable while the men in her life are eminently sensible.

In one tiresome 2 minute scene she attempts to say the word "Penis" and fails.

:eek: that doesn't sound very family - friendly!
  • stud u likestud u like Posts: 42,100
    Forum Member
    Comedy tends to be immature in it's structure.

I don't think i have seen one where anyone acts responsibly or if they do, they drive their wives to drink or drugs or both. "The Brittas Empire" springs to mind.
  • ganderpoke66ganderpoke66 Posts: 2,128
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    lozenger wrote: »
    :eek: that doesn't sound very family - friendly!

Oh I see, family comedies.

Maybe the OP has a point, but as they are pushing for a pointless Media Studies degree, I feel we shouldn't be giving them any help at all.
  • ollie_collie_c Posts: 1,474
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    lozenger wrote: »
    Gosh that's an interesting one - am struggling to think of any...

The 2 that spring to mind are perhaps Gates - where all the female characters were a bit mad with a couple of blokes in the background trying to rein them in, or Gavin and Stacey - I think Mick and Gavin were fairly sensible.

Ab Fab had very silly women but not many male characters to counterbalance.

As to your question why that formula has remained the same maybe it reflects real life :D:D

What have you got so far ?

Ooh, never seen Gates before, I shall have a look at that, cheers. Gavin and Stacey's a good one too, thankfully I've got that on dvd so I can watch that later :D

Yeah it has been a tough topic, but fun to research as it's been a challenge. The only family sitcom so far that I've watched a few episodes of that seems to be a little bit balanced is Outnumbered, but it still doesn't role reverse from the respected gender.

Thanks for all you replies so far, highly appreciated. :)
  • jw2011jw2011 Posts: 840
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What about Rab C. Nesbitt?

Rab (Gregor Fisher) was always going out and getting drunk and there was a lot of childish humour in there, including the new episodes, much to the dismay of his wife Mary (Elaine C. Smith)
  • petelypetely Posts: 2,994
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ollie_c wrote: »
    whether anyone here on these forums have watched any sitcoms that do in fact show men have more of a responsible behaviour than the women and if there isn't, why has the concept remained the same?

Can't think of any british comedies (from recent years) with a dominant male lead. Even though most comedians are male. Although most of the "seats" in standup ;) and on comedy panel shows are taken by men, so there would be no lack of takers if such a roles was to appear.

However, I have a theory as to why men are poorly represented in sitcoms,
    Most TV advertising is aimed at women. Whether that's because they are easier to sell things to, or because all the products (and techniques) that work for men: booze, fast cars, cigars, fast women have been banned from ads - I can't say. There is also still (even after 20, 30, 40 years) a backlash against some of the "sexist" comedies of the 60's and 70's - so programme makers are afraid of alienating women viewers by making them appear to be the target for humour - although it seems to be acceptable for men to be the butt of a joke.

But given that most ads are for stuff women buy (and those ads portray men in negative ways, too), it follows that the main reason for making TV programmes would be to attract a female audience. Hence the programmes would tend to have women lead characters, themes that appeal to women and role models who are women, too.
    Casting a dominant male when that character could be female wouldn't help get women to watch a programme.
  • gboygboy Posts: 4,989
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If you can class 'Miranda' as a family comedy, then she's an example of an immature female with a solid and reliable male friend (Gary).
  • ~Twinkle~~Twinkle~ Posts: 8,165
    Forum Member
    Last of the Summer Wine is possibly a good contender, as is Only Fools and Horses.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 336
    Forum Member
    Father Ted maybe? With Dougal being the childish one :D
  • PoppylenaPoppylena Posts: 119
    Forum Member
    Thank you, I've just managed to waste ages on TV Tropes again ;)

They have these two tropes (amongst others):
    http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/BumblingDad
    http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/WomenAreWiser

I find this a very interesting topic. I think I remember reading a few articles on it when I did a bit of film and media at university but focused more on US shows (e.g. Homer Simpson and Peter Griffin and others that I can't remember). There is a definitely a silly father/sensible mother cliché.

One of the TV Trope links has Keeping Up Appearances as a subversion. It mentions Richard vs Hyacinth, but I suppose Daisy and Onslow could also count - if I remember correctly neither were particularly sensible but I think Onslow was not quite as daft as Daisy.

Other than that I'm having trouble thinking of examples whether the father is the responsible one.

Bill could be immature in 2point4 Children but Ben was usually the most stupid. Ditto My Family, neither Ben or Susan were particularly responsible but when responsibility was required it tended to come from Susan.

I think it is just more acceptable for the man to be the 'buffoon' character. It usually seen as endearing in a man but just annoying in a woman (see, for example, some people's opinions of Miranda). It fits in with the 'aren't men daft' sentiment.

Also, family sitcoms are usually very role-based and those roles tend to be fairly standard. The main female character is the mother - she looks after the family so has to be seen as the sensible one. The father is usually the breadwinner, that is how he looks after the family therefore allowing (for comedic purposes) him to be silly at home.

Silly female characters tend to be single or mainly single (e.g. Miranda, Bridget Jones, Linda LaHughes). When they are being childish it is often as part of their dating adventures, an exaggeration or to show how utterly stupid they are. Can you imagine them as the 'mother' character in a sitcom?

Even single male comedy characters have an element of childishness. Clownishness is naturally a way of deriving comedy. I am struggling to come up with any sensible (adult) male main character. Even the henpecked husbands of 'strong' female characters tend to be a bit daft.

Perhaps there could be a brief comparison with sitcoms of the 60s, 70s or 80s? There is more possibility of finding the 'traditional', 'conservative' father character in those periods. Although, the existence of Frank Spencer shows that male idiocy is nothing new in family sitcoms.

Very interesting topic. :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,143
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Wow, really difficult to think of any. Gimme Gimme Gimme, I think Tom was more grown up (only just!) and it's not really 'family'. Hrmm.

The Vicar of Dibley with Alice believing in the tooth fairy, easter bunny and loving the wombles. Geraldine could be a bit childish and yet motherly to the villagers.. again not family as such.

Garth could be more grown up at times in Birds Of A Feather.

I'm stumped to be honest, I can't think of a proper one at all.