Colleague and lift to work....

12346»

Comments

• Options
    evie71evie71 Posts: 1,372
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mutter wrote: »
    I haven't read the rest of the advice yet, but I will.
    I did the same as you but it was every day. A colleague was about to lose her job, as her father couldn't taxi her anymore. No petrol money was ever discussed. This went on up until Christmas until the three month contract ended. I too was diverting my journey, but fair to her, she was always there on time.
    The real hurt came on the goodbye. I gave her the most thoughtful gift and she never even gave me a Christmas card or a thank you for saving her job. Hopped out of the car as though I'd see her the next morning. Absolutely stunned! I'd never do it again and it's experiences like those that make me wary. An old cynic in act.

Your liftee offered petrol money so why didn't you accept? You now want the petrol money so ask for it, times are hard.

From my experience above, I'd say accept the petrol money or just say it's out of your way. I'd rather the journey alone.

I can see how that was hurtful, you doing her a very big favour with zero true appreciation. My colleague has been on holiday twice, we've been through xmas and not so much as a postcard or xmas card from her. The reason I did not accept petrol money was because I only thought it would be now and again (if hubby couldn't take her) I have never asked, nor expected petrol money for random lifts from anyone, but then I never foresaw giving her a lift 4 times a week.
  • Options
    SupratadSupratad Posts: 10,448
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Relly wrote: »
    You're out of order, all of you, and I don't particularly care what you think of me saying that. I see it too often in threads on DS, and it's baiting, simple as that.

When it comes to baiting, I am a master at it.
  • Options
    evie71evie71 Posts: 1,372
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Why on earth are some of you continuing to bait Justatech? It's perfectly possible for an employer to sack someone for one instance of being late, especially in those industries where there are more than enough unemployed waiting in the wings for a job. Aside from all that, however, Justatech said he wasn't going to post again on the subject, and all you others have done is take the P out of him, presumably in an effort to make him post to defend himself, thereby (to you) 'proving' him to be a liar.

You're out of order, all of you, and I don't particularly care what you think of me saying that. I see it too often in threads on DS, and it's baiting, simple as that.

Back on topic: evie, you recently stated you would probably text the colleague rather than tell her face to face, and when I told you that wouldn't be the best idea if you wanted to keep harmony at work you said "Of course I won't text her" as if the very idea was ridiculous. I find that quite puzzling.

Well............... the texting comment was rather tongue in cheek to another poster.
  • Options
    RellyRelly Posts: 3,469
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    evie71 wrote: »
    Well............... the texting comment was rather tongue in cheek to another poster.

Oh well, there we are - perfect example of how text comes across. Sorry about that.
  • Options
    mickmarsmickmars Posts: 7,438
    Forum Member
    Simple..you are off next week,when you go back say "how did you get to work last week" - If she says "bus" just say, "well the winters gone now,so the bus is ok from now on"
    If she says "hubby",say "that's good,now he knows where you work I can lay in a bit longer in the mornings"

Whichever one you say just add "I think you're great,but the extra 4 miles a day wont be missed" smile,then walk away .
    Job done - if she's gonna be offended,she's gonna be offended,you can't control other peoples self delusional mindset..
  • Options
    Shady_Pines1Shady_Pines1 Posts: 1,608
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Why on earth are some of you continuing to bait Justatech? It's perfectly possible for an employer to sack someone for one instance of being late, especially in those industries where there are more than enough unemployed waiting in the wings for a job. Aside from all that, however, Justatech said he wasn't going to post again on the subject, and all you others have done is take the P out of him, presumably in an effort to make him post to defend himself, thereby (to you) 'proving' him to be a liar.

Back on topic: evie, you recently stated you would probably text the colleague rather than tell her face to face, and when I told you that wouldn't be the best idea if you wanted to keep harmony at work you said "Of course I won't text her" as if the very idea was ridiculous. I find that quite puzzling.

Have you actually read any of his posts, with his bitter, ranting tone, calling people "dumbases" and accusing them of having no life amongst other things for daring to question him?

Nobody's taking the piss out of him sweetheart, he's giving it away.
  • Options
    Lordy LordyLordy Lordy Posts: 1,683
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    evie71 wrote: »
    Of course I'm not going to tell her by text, I will tell her when I next pick her up I am unable to offer her a lift from after next week. I plan to just tell her the truth which is I want more flexibility with my commute to work.

Hooray and good luck:)
  • Options
    Lordy LordyLordy Lordy Posts: 1,683
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well, have you told her yet?
  • Options
    Judge MentalJudge Mental Posts: 18,593
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If you haven't done it yet I would suggest that you do it when dropping her off in the evening on the second of the two days . I would say that you wanted to warn her that after next week it will no longer be convenient to give her a lift. Don't offer an explanation or excuses. If she asks you for one I would just say that you never envisaged it as a long term arrangement and would prefer to be able to travel direct from home to work in future. You can give her a weeks notice so her hubby can pick it up again. Or guess what, she can learn to drive and make her own way there.