Options

Humphrey Bogart : Overrrated

13»

Comments

• Options
    ironjadeironjade Posts: 10,014
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't know why they ever bother remaking the Classics, I can't think of one that was better than the original. The problem is that they just don't seem to have the writers anymore. That was one of the advantages of the studio system, each studio had their own writers regularly turning out great stories.

They were writers, among other things, before they turned to the movie business. Today's writers only seem to know about movies and tv. Thus the same crappy, derivative ideas are constantly recycled, rather like the air on a 747 and just as unhealthy.
  • Options
    Walter NeffWalter Neff Posts: 9,252
    Forum Member
    ironjade wrote: »
    They were writers, among other things, before they turned to the movie business. Today's writers only seem to know about movies and tv. Thus the same crappy, derivative ideas are constantly recycled, rather like the air on a 747 and just as unhealthy.

That is true, great writers like Thomas Faulkner, Nathanial West, and F. Scott Fitzgerald were all writing for Hollywood Studios at one time.

Raymond Chandler worked with Billy Wilder adapting his book for the screenplay of Double Indemnity. Although he hated Wider he did say that he thought that the film was better than his book, which is not something that I have ever heard from a writer before.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,538
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Although I don't particularly like Depp or Bloom, both could have acted rings around Mr Bogart.

Wow...
  • Options
    Andy BirkenheadAndy Birkenhead Posts: 13,450
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You say "dont bogart that joint", rather than "dont cagney that joint",do you not?

1-0

What ??
    I've never heard that before !
    What does it mean ?
  • Options
    Pisces CloudPisces Cloud Posts: 30,240
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's all about star quality and screen charisma, whether the actor is great or not.
  • Options
    Ben_Fisher1Ben_Fisher1 Posts: 2,973
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    On a side note, have any of you seen a film called 'Nightmare Alley' 1947 starring Tyrone Power? I had never heard of it, and watched it last night on youtube. Well, it is one of the most original, and interesting movies i have ever seen. Power, who is usually bland, does quite well in it, and the whole film has a very dark and bleak quality to it.
  • Options
    Trsvis_BickleTrsvis_Bickle Posts: 9,202
    Forum Member
    What ??
    I've never heard that before !
    What does it mean ?

Ah, you innocent child:p

Back in day when smoking dope was something sociable done by students and the middle class (i.e. before the chavs popularised it) one would take a couple of tokes on the communal joint, before passing it to the next person. If somebody was failing to pass the joint on, he would be 'Bogarting the joint' i.e. smoking it like a cigarette, Bogart being a ferociously heavy smoker.
  • Options
    CLL DodgeCLL Dodge Posts: 116,039
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    treefr0g wrote: »
    I do wonder who they would cast as Rick if they did a reboot of Casablanca.

Leonardo dI 'bloody' Caprio, I have no doubt.

David Soul took the role in the TV prequel.
  • Options
    Trsvis_BickleTrsvis_Bickle Posts: 9,202
    Forum Member
    CLL Dodge wrote: »
    David Soul took the role in the TV prequel.

Jesus, really?:o. I will now make every effort to forget that a 'reboot' even exists.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    On a side note, have any of you seen a film called 'Nightmare Alley' 1947 starring Tyrone Power? I had never heard of it, and watched it last night on youtube. Well, it is one of the most original, and interesting movies i have ever seen. Power, who is usually bland, does quite well in it, and the whole film has a very dark and bleak quality to it.

Yes, I have it, and it is the best acting that I have ever seen from Power, he was devastated that it was a box office flop at the time of it's release. Although like so many films of that era it has since been re-evaluated and is a Cult film with Classic Movie Buffs.
  • Options
    Ben_Fisher1Ben_Fisher1 Posts: 2,973
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes, I have it, and it is the best acting that I have ever seen from Power, he was devastated that it was a box office flop at the time of it's release. Although like so many films of that era it has since been re-evaluated and is a Cult film with Classic Movie Buffs.

it's amazing, very dark for that time, I'm not surprised it was a flop. It doesn't get too preachy either, just shows a man falling foul of fate by getting too above himself. Joan Blondell is very good as the fortune teller. I would advise anyone to see this movie, it's a hidden gem.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    it's amazing, very dark for that time, I'm not surprised it was a flop. It doesn't get too preachy either, just shows a man falling foul of fate by getting too above himself. Joan Blondell is very good as the fortune teller. I would advise anyone to see this movie, it's a hidden gem.

I meant to mention Joan Blondell, I always liked her.

I have her biography by Matthew Kennedy, "A Life Between Takes," which is a great read.
  • Options
    JohnbeeJohnbee Posts: 4,019
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That is true, great writers like Thomas Faulkner, Nathanial West, and F. Scott Fitzgerald were all writing for Hollywood Studios at one time.

Raymond Chandler worked with Billy Wilder adapting his book for the screenplay of Double Indemnity. Although he hated Wider he did say that he thought that the film was better than his book, which is not something that I have ever heard from a writer before.

Hooray, I hope I am the first with this. The book (more a long short story really) was written by one James Cain. Raymond C co wrote the film screenplay with Billy Wilder.

Presumably it was Cain who said that about the film, not a surprising view because it is a super film (Barb Stanwyck, Fred McMurray, Edward G Robinson.

Since I am being a bit snotty correcting you, I will apologise by telling you a thing about it. Raymond Chandler is in it!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Johnbee wrote: »
    Hooray, I hope I am the first with this. The book (more a long short story really) was written by one James Cain. Raymond C co wrote the film screenplay with Billy Wilder.

Presumably it was Cain who said that about the film, not a surprising view because it is a super film (Barb Stanwyck, Fred McMurray, Edward G Robinson.

Since I am being a bit snotty correcting you, I will apologise by telling you a thing about it. Raymond Chandler is in it!

You are quite right, I stand corrected, no excuse either because I have the book. I was having a senior moment. ;-)

It was James M Cain who said that he preferred the ending of the film to his original ending in the book.

I did know that Raymond Chandler is seen briefly in Double Indemnity. He is the man seated outside Edward G Robinson's office when Fred MacMurray leaves. You can see that clip on You Tube