Spoilers Or No Spoilers

MACTOWINMACTOWIN Posts: 34,978
Forum Member
✭✭✭
What is the situation with Spoilers are they no longer required on here.

Comments

• fischfisch Posts: 9,684
    Forum Member
    Yes they are required it doesn't take much to put spoiler in the title after all.
  • Fairy WingsFairy Wings Posts: 5,680
    Forum Member
    Nor to check that there isn't already a thread running.
  • trevor tigertrevor tiger Posts: 37,996
    Forum Member
    Some clearly think so but I don't know why they bother as others clearly think not :confused::(
  • MACTOWINMACTOWIN Posts: 34,978
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    fisch wrote: »
    Yes they are required it doesn't take much to put spoiler in the title after all.

Well there are at two threads on the board that don't agree.
  • ArcanaArcana Posts: 37,521
    Forum Member
    Surely it's up to the mods to make and enforce policy if they deem it necessary.
  • waylander_1973waylander_1973 Posts: 525
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If is bothering too many posters perhaps this website should have a spoilers only thread.

The mods should put a poll up and pin it to find out.
  • Wildrover06Wildrover06 Posts: 4,227
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Either way some posters need to learn that there is no point in putting the actual spoiler in the thread title, as it's then no longer a spoiler. :kitty:

I think spoilers have had their day.
  • AndrewPdAndrewPd Posts: 6,718
    Forum Member
    I am going to avoid spoilers at the moment. I want a few surprises on the main show.
    Forum Member
    MACTOWIN wrote: »
    Well there are at two threads on the board that don't agree.

Sorry for having a different opinion.
    Forum Member
    Nor to check that there isn't already a thread running.

Agree with this its ridiculous some nights with the same comment on about 6 or more titles.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sorry for having a different opinion.

Sorry but I agree with you if that is the rule then people should use them.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I like spoilers, but the problem is that even if there are correctly labelled spoilers posted, what's happening now is that within minutes there are about ten other threads giving the info away anyway.

This ruins the surprise for those who would rather wait for the info, but I can't see how the mods can do anything about it at this stage.

What are your thoughts on the matter?
  • An ThropologistAn Thropologist Posts: 39,854
    Forum Member
    Personally I don't mind but I do agree with the courtesy to those who like a surprise.

I have noticed this year, particularly, that although the poster breaking the news uses a spoiler half a dozen threads then follow about that news. Anyone reading the front page would have to be selectively blind not to know what the spoiler revealed.
  • Anya DAnya D Posts: 14,890
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The site should have two BB forums.
    One for people who don't mind or actually want to be spoiled and one for people only watching as the show as it unfolds.

Thread titles in the spoiler forum still have to be written in such a way that they don't give away spoilers.
    This is how we worked it when I modded at a US reality site, where they still obviously have the live feeds.

It worked really well because posters knew the rules and abided by them. If they didn't the mods would remove posts, issye infractiins, temp bans etc.
    People in every forum of the site were very spoiler aware and considerate though because of the different time zones.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I like spoilers, but the problem is that even if there are correctly labelled spoilers posted, what's happening now is that within minutes there are about ten other threads giving the info away anyway.

This ruins the surprise for those who would rather wait for the info, but I can't see how the mods can do anything about it at this stage.

What are your thoughts on the matter?

I would have a system when you get a yellow card if you start a thread without a spoiler and two yellow cards and you get a three day ban. Just my opinion.
  • atkoatko Posts: 4,363
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I think Forum Members need to accept that if you join & participate in this forum there is every likely chance you will discover something that has happened before it has been aired on the highlights show. Nominations Spoilers may be issued but then you will always get people commenting on other posts who may unintentionally let things slip or make a point based on the knowledge of the Spoiler which then lets the cat out the bag so to speak. It can't be helped so either members need to accept it or they should be banned. I don't think the word SPOILER in the title really makes such a big difference when people comment on other posts & forget.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I would have a system when you get a yellow card if you start a thread without a spoiler and two yellow cards and you get a three day ban. Just my opinion.
    That sounds fair enough. In terms of implementation though it might be a major pain, especially to begin with.

It's a relatively recent problem, & I suppose if it could be stamped out it would be a good thing.
  • erin_perin_p Posts: 25,091
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I am shocked that the name of the nominees are up and not in spoiler threads.:(
  • atkoatko Posts: 4,363
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

That wouldn't work either by definition of my comments after yours. For example, let's say you issued a spoiler about this weeks nominations & you clearly labeled it a Spoiler in the the title. Now I come along, see who is nominated & all is good up to this point.

Later in the day I am commenting on threads about certain characters & I happen to comment unintentionally about this weeks nominees. It can't be helped. It's like hm's talking about nominations....some times they say something without thinking & realize after & the damage is already done! Spoilers in a way are no different in that sense.
    Forum Member

What are your thoughts on the matter?[/QUOTE]

My thoughts on the matter are uncannily like yours and at precisely the same moment. Are you controlling my mind? :)
  • BunionsBunions Posts: 15,016
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Agree with this its ridiculous some nights with the same comment on about 6 or more titles.
    Yeah, that's probably my biggest beef with the modding here - nowhere near enough thread merging.

It's just silly having 4 different discussions about exactly the same thing when everyone could be together on one thread.
  • Digital SidDigital Sid Posts: 39,870
    Forum Member
    IMO, if it's released officially it isn't a spoiler.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

What are your thoughts on the matter?[/QUOTE]

My thoughts on the matter are uncannily like yours and at precisely the same moment. Are you controlling my mind? :)
    Yes, I must have picked up some bad habits from watching Steven :D
  • muggins14muggins14 Posts: 61,844
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    IMO, if it's released officially it isn't a spoiler.
    How did people cope when there was Live Feed - every thread would have to be written in spoilers :D

I suppose two forums - one current and one 24 hours behind could be an answer.
    Forum Member
    muggins14 wrote: »
    How did people cope when there was Live Feed - every thread would have to be written in spoilers :D

I suppose two forums - one current and one 24 hours behind could be an answer.

That's very true, although there were dedicated live feed threads and WHATM which I suppose absorbed some of the need to share.