LG Nexus 4 officially announced

Comments

• GormondGormond Posts: 15,838
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hi All

Is Nexus 4 actually 4G enabled? some reviews say it is, some it isn't.

What is the maximum speed you got when you tested?

And finally why can't I find this phone on highstreet shops?

They seem to be selling tablet version but not the payg sim free phone version. I am not quite keen to buy from Google play, as some customers seem to have had some problems with after sale service.

The Nexus 4 supports DC-HSPA which has a maximum speed of 42 Mbps, it doesn't support LTE (or 4G as its marketed at) which has a max speed of 100 Mbps and currently only offered on EE. Due to the current data restrictions on 4G I don't see the point as of yet.

The phone is available on the high street in places like CPW but you will pay £100 extra to get it on the high street. I suggest you get from Google Play and pay either £249 for 8GB or £289 for 16GB including delivery.

The service via Google Play has been fine for me and my mates but I can't vouch for everyone.
  • alanwarwicalanwarwic Posts: 28,396
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    konebyvax wrote: »
    .. when witnessing your posts on here 'There's something not quite right about that chap'.
    All my posts are done in good faith.
    But they seem to have made you 'get even' angry.

You can also pick up an S3 for £250 from Amazon warehouse if you are lucky in your timing.
    A short warranty but worth the risk to some.
  • slick1twoslick1two Posts: 2,877
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Gormond wrote: »
    The Nexus 4 supports DC-HSPA which has a maximum speed of 42 Mbps, it doesn't support LTE (or 4G as its marketed at) which has a max speed of 100 Mbps and currently only offered on EE. Due to the current data restrictions on 4G I don't see the point as of yet.

The phone is available on the high street in places like CPW but you will pay £100 extra to get it on the high street. I suggest you get from Google Play and pay either £249 for 8GB or £289 for 16GB including delivery.

The service via Google Play has been fine for me and my mates but I can't vouch for everyone.

I received mine the day it came back in Stock, end of January. It arrived within 24 hours!
  • Stuart PStuart P Posts: 949
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    i ordered my 8gb on launch day. arrived 2 days later. can't get better than that.
  • Young TurksYoung Turks Posts: 3,262
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jordosaur wrote: »
    PAYG and Sim Free are different things. The former ties your to a network, the latter lets you choose the network. You can pick it up on the high street from Carphone Warehouse for £399.95 for Sim Free or £379.95 + £10 Top-up.

That, at best, is a whole £110 more than it is to buy it on Google Play. .

I don't think it is worth paying £110 extra then. Just to get it right so the phone is sim free;

Does it then lock itself to first sim it is activated with or can I just go to different network a few months later for better deal and just swap the sims?

I am with Vodafone payg and considering 3 network for faster broadband.

Can I just start with Voda sim and move over 3 mobile whenever I want with Nexus 4?

Thanks
  • Young TurksYoung Turks Posts: 3,262
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    slick1two wrote: »
    Max speed I have got so far is 17mbps download speed which is pretty fast for a non 4G phone. But it will vary depending where you are and what network you use. I'm with three.

I agree it is fast and even faster than my home home broadband :D

but playing a devil's advocate here, Are you not supposed to get up to 42mbps if you are with 3 and the Nexus seems to support DC-HSPA?

The reason I am asking is because I am also considering 3 network.

Thanks for confirming this if Nexus supports up to 42mbps it is more than enough for me and I agree buying from Google Play seems to be the best option in this case.

Stuart P wrote: »
    i ordered my 8gb on launch day. arrived 2 days later. can't get better than that.
    slick1two wrote: »
    I received mine the day it came back in Stock, end of January. It arrived within 24 hours!

Sorry guys I didn't mean how quickly it was delivered when I mentioned after sales service. I meant if it was faulty etc contacting them through their website and waiting solution / exchange etc wouldn't be as quick as walking into a shop and sorting it out there and then.
  • The SackThe Sack Posts: 10,334
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ill worry about 4G when i can get it with a reasonable amount of allowance like i get on my SIM only 10 quid plan.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    alanwarwic wrote: »
    The S3 has never been that much more if you look.

It will be even better value later in the year.
    Like the N4, 720p wins it for me.

are you mental the S3 was always around £450/£500 until the S4 was announced. TBF i wouldnt want an S3 or an S4 as they seem to use the same glue that Apple uses that turns the owner in to a raging fantwat
  • paulbrockpaulbrock Posts: 16,632
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The Sack wrote: »
    are you mental the S3 was always around £450/£500 until the S4 was announced. TBF i wouldnt want an S3 or an S4 as they seem to use the same glue that Apple uses that turns the owner in to a raging fantwat

LMAO :D
  • slick1twoslick1two Posts: 2,877
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I agree it is fast and even faster than my home home broadband :D

but playing a devil's advocate here, Are you not supposed to get up to 42mbps if you are with 3 and the Nexus seems to support DC-HSPA?

The reason I am asking is because I am also considering 3 network.

Thanks for confirming this if Nexus supports up to 42mbps it is more than enough for me and I agree buying from Google Play seems to be the best option in this case.

Sorry guys I didn't mean how quickly it was delivered when I mentioned after sales service. I meant if it was faulty etc contacting them through their website and waiting solution / exchange etc wouldn't be as quick as walking into a shop and sorting it out there and then.

It depends, the signal flutuates between HSPA+ which is 21mbps and DC HSDPA 42mbps. I can't say i've hit a DC signal yet. At work i get a strong HSPA+21 signal and on that I reached 17mbps, so I can't say what I would get on DC.

Not only that, depending where you are, it will fluctuate a lot. From 7-14mbps, which are the slower 3g standards.

I use this app called network service info. As I move around, it shows me exactly what signal I am locked on to, and it varies, you can be in one spot and it will switch around, move a few feet and it can change again. Good app to have actually, for real time signal info, as it's more detailed than the network symbol on the phone screen.

For example this is what I get at home. Signal strength not the best, but it works. I will be using wifi at home anyways. But this is very useful when out and about.You can place a widget on the home screen so it will update in real time as you move, you will get the signal data.

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/59917354/Screenshot_2013-03-22-14-34-31.png
  • alanwarwicalanwarwic Posts: 28,396
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    are you mental the S3 was always around £450/£500
    We are talking N4. All I did was midly err putting in 'never' so you lot could move onto quite irrelevant point scoring. And even back then the S3 was soon at £400.
    For the lazy tards even Asda did it for £447.

Of course, when the N4 does not exist it is not less when you can't even have the N4.
  • swordmanswordman Posts: 6,679
    Forum Member

No it wasn't could be had back last year for less than £400 if you were savvy.
  • Ultraman1966Ultraman1966 Posts: 271
    Forum Member
    I don't think it is worth paying £110 extra then. Just to get it right so the phone is sim free;

Does it then lock itself to first sim it is activated with or can I just go to different network a few months later for better deal and just swap the sims?

I am with Vodafone payg and considering 3 network for faster broadband.

Can I just start with Voda sim and move over 3 mobile whenever I want with Nexus 4?

Thanks
    Are you trolling? The whole point of Nexus 4 is to be carrier/network free! As far as I know it's only the iPhones which exhibit the network locking behaviour.
  • c4rvc4rv Posts: 29,538
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Are you trolling? The whole point of Nexus 4 is to be carrier/network free! As far as I know it's only the iPhones which exhibit the network locking behaviour.

nothing to do with iphones, there are plenty of carriers who lock subsidised phones regarding of make and model.
  • StigglesStiggles Posts: 9,618
    Forum Member
    c4rv wrote: »
    nothing to do with iphones, there are plenty of carriers who lock subsidised phones regarding of make and model.

They wont lock the N4 though. Even on PAYG they are sim free on any network that sells them.
  • AxeVictimAxeVictim Posts: 3,029
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

It took me a month to get a refund after sending the phone back to them.Repairs should be slightly less.
  • Stuart_hStuart_h Posts: 5,311
    Forum Member

post of the week :D

we should sticky this :cool:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    swordman wrote: »
    No it wasn't could be had back last year for less than £400 if you were savvy.

Which most people arent. Just cos you have seen it cheap it doesnt mean the general population has.

Lets be honest most S3 owners seem to be 20 something ladies that have been roped in to 24 months contracts paying £35 a month to get it "free". The percent of people going for a SIM free phone must be tiny next to "free" contract phones.

I know 6 20 something ladies with a S3 and one 40 something bloke with one, them numbers are as good as the makeup manufacturers use on the telly so i am confident that my poll will result in younger looking skin and rejuvenated biffidusbullshittium.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Stuart_h wrote: »
    post of the week :D

we should sticky this :cool:

I thank you :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    alanwarwic wrote: »
    We are talking N4. All I did was midly err putting in 'never' so you lot could move onto quite irrelevant point scoring. And even back then the S3 was soon at £400.
    For the lazy tards even Asda did it for £447.

Of course, when the N4 does not exist it is not less when you can't even have the N4.

S3 was at £499 SIM free at the carphone whorehouse until it looked like the S4 was deffo around the corner and irrespective of what prices you find on the net i suspect the walk in trade for CPW is quite brisk.

Even at £400 it is still a potential £160 dearer than a N4.

Not sure what you mean by it doesnt exist, both models are in stock on the UK play store now (unless i have miss understood what you mean)
    Forum Member
    You do speak the Truth Mr Sack, I've been trying to educate a lot of my friends and colleagues on how to get better deals (some still think it's an effort...).

Back on topic, anyone tried CM10.1 for their Nexus 4?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Is there much benefit to using a custom ROM on the N4? i have found the stock ROM performance great.
    Forum Member
    Is there much benefit to using a custom ROM on the N4? i have found the stock ROM performance great.
    Well the whole purpose of Nexus devices is modifications. I have no qualms with the performance (in fact I've set the governor to conservative to err conserve power) but I miss things like having a customisable quick settings in the notification menu; percentage on the battery icon (different battery icons); ASOP browser (Chrome is ok but doesn't allow for full screen viewing); loads of options in power button screen. Nothing game changing but those little features help to save time or make life easier.

EDIT, the above is about CM10.1
    Other ROMs like Paranoid Android can be really drastic like moving merging the notification/status bar with the button bar...or even eliminating the bottom nav bar for gestures etc.
  • finbaarfinbaar Posts: 4,818
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The first thing I did with my N4 was put CM10.1 milestone 2 on it, I have never ran stock on it. CM is great on the N4. However now I am running PA3.10 and I like having a merged notification bar on the bottom, it maximises the screen. Paired with Faux kernel it works great.

The whole purpose of a Nexus is to mod it. Well for me any way.
  • GormondGormond Posts: 15,838
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    finbaar wrote: »
    The whole purpose of a Nexus is to mod it. Well for me any way.

For me the purpose of the Nexus 4 is to get a pure Android experience the way Google intended and the latest updates OTA the day they are released all at a reasonable price point.

Is the N4 any better for modding than a S3? I would have thought things like an SD card slot would be helpful when modding.