Best delivered lines in Doctor Who

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 40
Forum Member
Well we've had the worst lines and that seemed popular so I thought i'd do the opposite and see what people thought were the best delivered lines in Who

Here are a couple of mine, incidentally both from the 11th doctor

"Don't worry, I've commandeered a vehicle" Said in the fire engine. This just established Matt Smith as the doctor in my view

And from the Beast Below: "Right. This isnt going to be big on dignity"

Comments

• XuriXuri Posts: 465
    Forum Member
    This is my favourite Smith line. Somehow sums him up for me.

11: Yes, ok, it's a Jammie Dodger. I was expecting tea.
  • Sora2311Sora2311 Posts: 2,306
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Change, my dear. And it seems not a moment too soon.
  • bp2bp2 Posts: 1,117
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Second Doctor talking to Victoria in Tomb of the Cybermen
    Susan leaving
    The 7th doctor talking to Davros
    The 6th doctor talking about how corrupt the Time Lords are
    The 11th doctor in the Rings of Akhaten
  • scumcatscumcat Posts: 349
    Forum Member
    Time will tell it always does, McCoy from remembrance of the daleks
  • Michael_EveMichael_Eve Posts: 14,424
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    "You're not going to stop me now!" Fifth Doctor to Stotz, Caves of Androzani cliffhanger episode 3. The intensity and crazed look in Davison's eyes...phew.
  • XuriXuri Posts: 465
    Forum Member
    9: I'm looking for a blonde in a Union Jack. A specific one, mind you, I didn't just wake up this morning with a craving.
  • ShevkShevk Posts: 1,134
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Dinner in Bondage. Works for me.
  • November_RainNovember_Rain Posts: 9,145
    Forum Member
    bp2 wrote: »

Exactly what I was going to say. I wasn't very keen on that episode overall but the speech was fantastic.

Also Wilf's speech to Ten in Journey's End. A bit on the hammy side it may be but it was beautiful nonetheless.
  • codename_47codename_47 Posts: 9,682
    Forum Member
    Ten's Sycorax impression: "I DON'T KNOWWWWW!"

That was the moment when he clicked with me. That and his joy at the big red button that no-one should ever ever press.

New New Doctor was good too, as was "am I being rude again...good, I meant it this time!" in The Werewolf Episode

As for Matt: "Reverse the polarity of the Jelly Baby" :D

"Squeaky Bum time!" :p
  • performingmonkperformingmonk Posts: 20,086
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Plenty of Eccleston moments, pretty much everything from 'Rose', perfectly re-establishing the Doctor, facing the lone Dalek in 'Dalek' ("I watched it happen. I made it happen!"), the speech at the end of Bad Wolf, the hologram speech, all amazing.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,053
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The entirety of this scene, the best comic delivery in all of NuWho!

"Harvey Wallbanger?!"
  • mdtaukmdtauk Posts: 620
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The Doctor
    Oh big big mistake. Really huge. Didn't anyone ever tell you? There's one thing you never put in a trap—if you're smart, if you value your continued existence, if you have any plans about seeing tomorrow—there's one thing you never ever put in a trap.

Angel Bob
    And what would that be, sir?

The Doctor
    Me.
  • TEDRTEDR Posts: 3,413
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My colleague is a doctor of medicine and I am a doctor of many things.
  • StephenHKentStephenHKent Posts: 1,798
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Shevk wrote: »
    Dinner in Bondage. Works for me.

Oh yes! And most of the wonderful slitheen mayor's lines...when she challenges the dr and his companions to take supper with a creature they are about to kill...chilling
  • StephenHKentStephenHKent Posts: 1,798
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    bp2 wrote: »
    The Second Doctor talking to Victoria in Tomb of the Cybermen
    Susan leaving
    The 7th doctor talking to Davros
    The 6th doctor talking about how corrupt the Time Lords are

Yes the 2nd dr and Victoria is a wonderful moving scene. An example of how universal and human Who can be
  • adams66adams66 Posts: 3,945
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    from Ark In Space, delivered in Tom Baker's superb voice, a truly brilliant speech:

"Homo sapiens. What an inventive, invincible species. It's only a few million years since they crawled up out of the mud and learned to walk. Puny, defenceless bipeds. They've survived flood, famine and plague. They've survived cosmic wars and holocausts. And now, here they are, out among the stars, waiting to begin a new life. Ready to outsit eternity. They're indomitable. Indomitable."
  • adams66adams66 Posts: 3,945
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tom Baker really excels with Douglas Adams' scripts, clearly relishing Adams' shared love of the English language, and Adams seems to be able to write the best lines for Tom to say. And Tom's wonderfully rich voice is always a joy to listen to, especially when he's so clearly having fun.

One of my favourites is from City Of Death, and is made all the better by the cheerily offhand way that Tom comes out with - "I say; what a wonderful butler, he's so violent!"
  • TheSilentFezTheSilentFez Posts: 11,103
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    "There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream. People made of smoke, and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there’s injustice, and somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace — we’ve got work to do!"

I thought the Seventh Doctor was brilliant and this is a lovely line to end Classic Doctor Who. :)
  • gboygboy Posts: 4,989
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    99% of Tom Baker's lines. Even the dull scripts are brought to life by his delivery.
  • TRT1968TRT1968 Posts: 2,164
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Davros's megalomaniac speech in Genesis of the Daleks, and the way the voice treatment becomes more and more Dalek-like as his fervour raises.

"Yes, yes, to hold in my hand a capsule that contained such power... To know that life and death on such a scale was my choice... To know that the tiny pressure of my thumb, enough to break the glass, would end everything! Yes, I would do it! That power would set me up above the gods, and through the Daleks I shall have that power!"
  • The GathererThe Gatherer Posts: 2,723
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sora2311 wrote: »
    Change, my dear. And it seems not a moment too soon.

This is one of my favourites too. Shame the story which followed was so dire. Also like the end of one episode of Warriors' Gate when Clifford Rose says "Well Doctor this IS a surprise".
  • AirboraeAirborae Posts: 2,644
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Doctor 1 - "We are not of this race, we are not of this world."
    Doctor 2 - "There are some corners of this Universe that have bred the most terrible things."
    Doctor 3 - "Tears Sarah Jane? No, don't cry. While there's life there's...
    Doctor 4 - "If someone you knew from the future pointed out a child to you and told you that child would grow up to be totally evil. A ruthless dictator who would destroy millions of lives. Could you then kill that child?"
    Doctor 5 - "Don't look. You must not look. The Mara is feeding off your fear and finding it easy! You must not believe what you see. The Great Crystal is absorbing the belief and creating the Mara!"
    Doctor 6 - "Madam. This revelation should halt this trial immediately. Surely even Gallifreyan law must acknowledge that the same person cannot be both prosecutor and defendant!"
    Doctor 7 - "We hope to return to the North way., carrying home all the treasures from the Silk Lands to the East. But a dark curse follows our dragon ship."
    Doctor 8 - "Cybermen. They were humanoid creatures much like you once. But their civilisation had a penchant for cybernetically improving upon the weaknesses of the flesh."
    Doctor 9 - "If you can't kill, then what are you good for, Dalek? What's the point of you? You're nothing! What the hell are you here for?
    Doctor 10 - "I'm the Doctor. I'm a Timelord. I'm from the planet Gallifrey in the constellation of Kasterborous. I'm 903 years old and I'm the man that's going to save your lives and all 6 billion people on the planet below. You got a problem with that?"
    Doctor 11 - "But they keep coming back! Don't you see? Everytime I negotiate I try to understand. Well not today. No! Today I honour the victims first. His! The Master's! The Daleks! All the people who died because of my mercy!"

Superb speeches by all of them.
  • TheSilentFezTheSilentFez Posts: 11,103
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    How can anyone forget:
    "It's a fez. I wear a fez now. Fezzes are cool."
    It's Matt's rather matter-of-fact delivery of the line which makes it such a good one.
  • daveyboy7472daveyboy7472 Posts: 16,351
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think Julian Glover both in The Crusade and City Of Death had some of the best well written and wittiest lines ever. Both stories contain for me great examples of both but this is just my personal opinion.

Aside from this, I think Colin Baker had a great selection of dialogue. Some of his more emotional scenes such as his sadness and grief at Azmael's and then Peri's death during his time as The Doctor were delivered with an emotion that was unusual for the Classic Series Doctors.

For me, however, it was his big speech in Part 13 of TOATL where he really hits out at Time Lord Corruption and says all the anniversaries he's met are still in the Nursery compared to the Time Lords that stands out. Great stuff.

Also liked Hartnell's 'We are not from this world.' line from the very first episode.

:)
  • PrimalIcePrimalIce Posts: 2,897
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    "Leela, I've made a terrible mistake. I thought I'd locked the enemy out. Instead I've locked it in... with us!'"

"Right! Cut it open!"