No 'Miss' option on Ryanair - Please help!

Comments

• EspressoEspresso Posts: 18,047
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Bookends wrote: »
    Do passports even show a title? Any title? I don't think mine does...

Obviously they show a name... and if the actual name doesn't match then I'd say they may well have a point...

You're right, your passport doesn't have your title on it.
    As for the OP, you can put Mrs or Ms or Dr; makes no odds. No one's going to stop you boarding a plane if you can't produce your PhD certificate or your marriage license.

Just make sure you spell Jones correctly, though.
    If the name on the passport or Ryanair-specified photo ID does not match the name on the booking, they won't let the person on.
  • BlofeldBlofeld Posts: 8,233
    Forum Member
    I've never had a problem with ryanair and the vast majority of their flights leave bang on time and arrive early. As for never getting cheap flights, well I used them 4 times over christmas to fly to Ireland and Germany and paid a total of £32 for everything. I actually dont bother looking at anyone else now for European flights so all of these anti ryanair posts are wasted on people like me. Long live them I say or get ba and the like to start flying to remote places where people I visit actually live and not just the main aiports.of course they won't as they only care about profit and not choice for passengers. ;)

On topic though, my sister and female friends will all put Ms on a booking form if Mrs is not there. If you use online checkin then the passport number, holder name and expiry are the main details they check, not the title. Enjoy your flight. :D
  • SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Aye, that is why I said that prefer to pay for the higher up front costs of the scheduled airlines. I seem to pay £90-125 all in for most of my UK, Ireland and North Europe flights and it seems to work out only maginally more than Evilair and is miles better in service.

Fair 'nuff then.

Evilair... *snicker*
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 234
    Forum Member
    CatCo wrote: »
    Ms can be used for either Miss or Mrs. It works on the theory that you can't tell if a man is married by 'Mr' so why should you know the marital status of a woman through 'Miss' or 'Mrs'.
    Agreed. If you want 'Miss' added to the form, I think you should also request that 'Master' is added.
  • Flyboy152Flyboy152 Posts: 14,656
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    To be fair I imagine that... even with all the "extras" (which is much the same with any budget airline I think)... they are much cheaper than a regular airline. You can't expect to pay very cheap fares and still get the same level of service and comfort... they're just going to give you the absolute bare minimum that regulations demand.

No they're not.

Ryanair: London To Glasgow=£72.00 (ticket advertised as one pound).

British Airways: London To Glasgow=£63.00 (ticket advertised as sixty-three pounds).
  • LION8TIGERLION8TIGER Posts: 8,484
    Forum Member
    polka.dott wrote: »
    I just use Ms and I'm not married :D

I don't have problem with Ryanair but it's a bit crap if your flight gets diverted as it takes them ages to get a coach to take you to your original destination (eg. Belfast to Derry or Dublin to Derry!)

Yes that's a problem with them ok. A few years ago my wife was returning on a flight from Dublin to Luton and the plane was diverted to Birmingham because of fog. They would not let anyone off the plane for about an hour as Birmingham airport did not want to accept the passengers and they were having problems finding a coach due to an exhibition happening at the NEC.
    Then suddenly they announced everyone had to get off the plane and find their own way home as they could not find a coach. Some people refused to budge so they threatened them with the police. Luckily my wife was able to share a taxi with three others back to Luton, cost her £25 though. Other planes that day were diverted to Bournemouth.
    Ryanair are ok when things are running smoothly but when they are not they are crap.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,083
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I always put Ms because I am a Ms - I am civilly-partnered and don't want to be know as a Mrs - so many people still assume though. The whole point of Ms is that it should be used when people don't know what title a woman has - it is all emcompassing as someone said earlier.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Flyboy152 wrote: »
    No they're not.

Ryanair: London To Glasgow=£72.00 (ticket advertised as one pound).

British Airways: London To Glasgow=£63.00 (ticket advertised as sixty-three pounds).

Maybe so... however just a few posts above you have a poster saying that they paid only £32 all-in to fly to Ireland and Germany... I can't imagine a non-budget airline matching that...

It may not follow for every single individual flight option but, over-all, I'd imagine they are considerably cheaper. The answer? Shop around before buying... I guess. Which is true regardless of what you are purchasing.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Maybe so... however just a few posts above you have a poster saying that they paid only £32 all-in to fly to Ireland and Germany... I can't imagine a non-budget airline matching that...

It may not follow for every single individual flight option but, over-all, I'd imagine they are considerably cheaper. The answer? Shop around before buying... I guess. Which is true regardless of what you are purchasing.

But the point is, he still probably paid thirty-one pounds more that the advertised price. That is what is known as a rip off.

Michael O'Leary's philosophy is that he makes more profit from ripping people off than he receives in fines. He considers the booking fee of seven pounds thirty-five pence, as an offset against fines from the CAA, the OFT and the EU. So, not are you only paying well over the odds for your flights, you are paying for his fines as well.
    Forum Member
    But the point is, he still probably paid thirty-one pounds more that the advertised price. That is what is known as a rip off.

Technically not true.

My flighs to Belfast were advertised as £10 each way...so I got it for £20 return only about 3 weeks before travel.

My flights to Hahn in Germany were advertised as "from 1p" My outard flight was £12, my return flight was indeed 1p all in. As they said "From" then there is nothing wrong with the offer advertised and the price I paid.

I don't take hold bags with me, although lots of main airlines are charging for this too (Aer Lingus for example). I probably wouldn't do so on the main airlines either as for only 3 days I'd have trouble even filling a suitcase. Most of all if you can, use an electron card (I use my sisters) to avoid the ridiculous £8 per passenger fee for credit/debit cards, although Ryanair are not the only ones who charge for using these and are not the only ones to offer free electron purchases either.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Michael O'Leary's philosophy is that he makes more profit from ripping people off than he receives in fines. He considers the booking fee of seven pounds thirty-five pence, as an offset against fines from the CAA, the OFT and the EU. So, not are you only paying well over the odds for your flights, you are paying for his fines as well.

Sorry... but if people don't know by now that their are going to be extra costs in taxes, admin fees, insurance, baggage, etc... added to the £1 advertised by a budget airline then they have been extremely sheltered from the real world.

In any case... it's not like they claim to charge only £1, never tell you otherwise throughout the process and then you eventually only find out on receipt of your bank statement that you've been charged considerably more... you do find out the full amount before you actually pay.
  • Keefy-boyKeefy-boy Posts: 13,561
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ... it's not like they claim to charge only £1, never tell you otherwise throughout the process and then you eventually only find out on receipt of your bank statement that you've been charged considerably more... you do find out the full amount before you actually pay.
    exactly. nobody forces you to push the confirm button. if you don't like the total price then don't pay and look elsewhere. simple as that.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sorry... but if people don't know by now that their are going to be extra costs in taxes, admin fees, insurance, baggage, etc... added to the £1 advertised by a budget airline then they have been extremely sheltered from the real world.

In any case... it's not like they claim to charge only £1, never tell you otherwise throughout the process and then you eventually only find out on receipt of your bank statement that you've been charged considerably more... you do find out the full amount before you actually pay.

But that is not the point. I could advertise anything for free, but when people buy it from me, I tell them that they were stupid to expect it for free, how would that not be ripping them off? Apart from being illegal, it's immoral.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Also a lot of these costs are not apparent until you actually get to the airport, like having to pay for checking baggage.

Then there's the tax rip off. Ryanair retained the taxes paid when flights were cancelled. Earning them millions of pounds per year. Effectively stealing the money from their customers. They were ordered to repay the money, but they had to fight them in the courts to do it. How is that having customers' interests at heart?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Also a lot of these costs are not apparent until you actually get to the airport, like having to pay for checking baggage.
    i'm no ryanair fan (i've sued them twice) but that isn't true. you are asked how many check-in bags you are taking when you book and the cost is shown.
    Forum Member

That's not true. When you book a flight it gets to a page BEFORE payment details asking how many bags you want to check in, if you want priority boarding and insurance. Adding on all these things will definatly bump the price up. So people who add these things know they're paying more, the extra price is shown in real time as you select extra things you want.

Yes you may leave paying for baggage until you're at the airport, but who would do that when they're offered at the time of booking for pay £10 per bag compared to something like £12 at the airport. The passengers can even add baggage onto thier flight by using the manage booking section on the ryanair site. All airlines do this now.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    But that is not the point. I could advertise anything for free, but when people buy it from me, I tell them that they were stupid to expect it for free, how would that not be ripping them off? Apart from being illegal, it's immoral.

The point is that before the purchase actually takes place you're going to have to tell them what the full price is... they then have the option to give you the finger and walk away if they think you're having a larf.

In any case... isn't there usually some kind of disclaimer saying that prices shown are subject to tax etc? Precisely in order to counter any potential false advertising claims I believe.

Nope... the costs for baggage are made clear when you purchase the ticket as far as I know... it's only if you then take extra baggage that you haven't already included in the booking where you have to pay extra at the airport for it... more than you would have paid had you disclosed in full in the first place I believe. Which I think is also pointed out at the time.
    Then there's the tax rip off. Ryanair retained the taxes paid when flights were cancelled. Earning them millions of pounds per year. Effectively stealing the money from their customers. They were ordered to repay the money, but they had to fight them in the courts to do it. How is that having customers' interests at heart?

Cancelled by the customer you mean?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 18,339
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Maybe you just started out with a different level of expectation?

If they're already low you're less likely to be disappointed.
    I agree. I know they're a no-frills airline and that I have to pay extra for my bags. I've flown for very, very low fares too. So low that in my hotel there was a pilot with American Airlines who refused point blank to believe me when I said what my fare had been.:D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The point is that before the purchase actually takes place you're going to have to tell them what the full price is... they then have the option to give you the finger and walk away if they think you're having a larf.

In any case... isn't there usually some kind of disclaimer saying that prices shown are subject to tax etc? Precisely in order to counter any potential false advertising claims I believe.

So why are Ryanair constantly being taken to court by the CAA, the EU and the OFT for false advertising and flouting the law over providing compensation for cancelled and delayed flights? Do you not understand anything about law, where it relates to what consumer is told about the price of a purchase.
    Nope... the costs for baggage are made clear when you purchase the ticket as far as I know... it's only if you then take extra baggage that you haven't already included in the booking where you have to pay extra at the airport for it... more than you would have paid had you disclosed in full in the first place I believe. Which I think is also pointed out at the time.

But then they stop you from taking on carry-on luggage. You have no choice but to pay. If you have no choice why charge extra for it? What next? Charges to use the in-flight air?
    Cancelled by the customer you mean?

Why does that make any difference?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 18,339
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What next? Charges to use the in-flight air?

There was a comedian on Live at the Apollo talking about the "what next" brigade. I see what he means now. :D
  • SmithmanSmithman Posts: 6,184
    Forum Member
    I booked a Ryanair return flight a couple of weeks ago for a friend (his computer was out of action). I couldn't do the online check in for him because he didn't have his passport with him. No problem flying out but coming back from the UK he had to pay an extra £10 because he hadn't checked in online.
    Forum Member
    But then they stop you from taking on carry-on luggage. You have no choice but to pay. If you have no choice why charge extra for it? What next? Charges to use the in-flight air?

Not they don't. Have you ever flown with them?

You're allowed a pretty generous allowance for cabin baggage, often I've seen/taken bags which other airlines would point blank refuse to let you take onboard. Ryanair Love cabin baggage, they pay less at the airports for ground staff and the use of baggage belts and all that machinery that goes with it. Not to mention the insurance of the bags incase they get damaged.

I've also travelled with them and taken both cabin and hold baggage in the past, they really don't refuse you anything that other airlines allow you. They charge ridiculous amounts onboard for food and drink...but don't stop you buying your own at the airport and bringing it on, which is to be honest also a rip off, but not thier fault. They don't charge extra for the emergency row seats which have extra leg room like KLM, Air France and many American airlines do.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You have no choice but to pay. If you have no choice why charge extra for it?
    you have a choice not to take any check-in baggae
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Blofeld wrote: »
    Not they don't. Have you ever flown with them?

You're allowed a pretty generous allowance for cabin baggage, often I've seen/taken bags which other airlines would point blank refuse to let you take onboard. Ryanair Love cabin baggage, they pay less at the airports for ground staff and the use of baggage belts and all that machinery that goes with it. Not to mention the insurance of the bags incase they get damaged.

I've also travelled with them and taken both cabin and hold baggage in the past, they really don't refuse you anything that other airlines allow you. They charge ridiculous amounts onboard for food and drink...but don't stop you buying your own at the airport and bringing it on, which is to be honest also a rip off, but not thier fault. They don't charge extra for the emergency row seats which have extra leg room like KLM, Air France and many American airlines do.

No, but I have checked-in next to them. A family wanted to carry some bags and were told that they could not bring the bags on board as there were too many already. You have to tell the staff at check-in what you intend to carry on. If they have exceeded that quota and you are at the end of the queue, you have no choice. The child was diabetic and need his insulin, but was told that t was a prohibited item and had also to go into the hold, until I, also a a diabetic, stepped in to help. I showed the check--in staff the list of prohibited items and the list of allowable items from the poster behind them. But she still insisted that what she said was correct. She said that she had been told by her bosses that even insulin and the pen was not allowed as it was a potential weapon. After thirty minutes arguing with her, she eventually agreed to get her supervisor, who also insisted she was correct, despite the poster saying otherwise. It wasn't until the airport security director got involved was the matter settled. but they still had to pay for their hand luggage to go in the hold.

I have also seen passengers being refused the option of using their own food and drink. On the rather shaky grounds, that it is illegal to transport food items to another country.

I have relatives that have used Ryanair, they have told me of the way that they have been treated and I don't consider them to have exaggerated.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    So why are Ryanair constantly being taken to court by the CAA, the EU and the OFT for false advertising and flouting the law over providing compensation for cancelled and delayed flights? Do you not understand anything about law, where it relates to what consumer is told about the price of a purchase.

You tell me... they're obviously not adhering to regulation somewhere if they're being taken to court successfully.

Maybe their disclaimers are in too small a print on not an obvious enough place? I haven't really looked into it in any amount of minute detail.

However... whatever the technicalities are people are still aware of the full amount they are paying when they actually get round to paying... which is my point.

I may think that the full price should be made evident first off but, at the same time, I can't believe anyone actually puts in their credit card details without being fully aware of what is going to be charged.

Because they're a business and they need to make a profit somehow... it doesn't strike like this is a policy exclusive to Ryanair anyhow. Is it?
    Why does that make any difference?

Because I assume there are caveats in their terms which say that you are not entitled to a refund if you cancel. Whether those terms are actually fully enforceable or not is another thing entirely... many businesses put things in their terms and conditions that wouldn't stand up in a court of law if someone actually chose to challenge them.

It's the same with some hotels really... if you cancel last minute (or with some even two weeks before) you have to pay for a certain amount anyway or (if you've already paid) you don't get a refund (or not a full refund - may depend on how many nights you've booked). In that event I don't usually expect to get the VAT refunded or even discounted from the price.

It's the same principle I imagine.