'Self Drenching' has become very popular with the Deaf

Devon MilesDevon Miles Posts: 6,654
Forum Member
Apparently the act of filming and broadcasting yourself tipping a bucket of water over your head was started by 'non-deaf' people but has very quickly become very popular with deaf people.

File under WTF?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/blogs-trending-28329429

Comments

• ffawkesffawkes Posts: 4,495
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I find it difficult to fathom why people act like lemmings and copy what they see others doing. It seems, well, brainless. Social media has made it worse, causing people not just to copy what their friends do, but to copy what complete strangers are doing.
  • HarrisonMarksHarrisonMarks Posts: 4,360
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Apparently the act of filming and broadcasting yourself tipping a bucket of water over your head was started by 'non-deaf' people but has very quickly become very popular with deaf people.

File under WTF?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/blogs-trending-28329429

It was started by Chris Tarrant,John Gorman, Sally James and Bob Carolgees.
  • GoatyGoaty Posts: 7,776
    Forum Member
    Yep and love it! I am Deaf myself and I got nominated to do it by 5 friends on social site. And I nominated other Deaf friends to do it.

It about sharing the fun, and most Deaf people as me did it for charity as WaterAid etc.

Good cause :)
  • Devon MilesDevon Miles Posts: 6,654
    Forum Member
    Goaty wrote: »
    Yep and love it! I am Deaf myself and I got nominated to do it by 5 friends on social site. And I nominated other Deaf friends to do it.

It about sharing the fun, and most Deaf people as me did it for charity as WaterAid etc.

Ah for WaterAid - that makes a little but more sense..
  • GoatyGoaty Posts: 7,776
    Forum Member
    Ah for WaterAid - that makes a little but more sense..

Yep thanks :)
  • Devon MilesDevon Miles Posts: 6,654
    Forum Member
    Yep thanks :)

NP - Enjoy! :)
  • Trsvis_BickleTrsvis_Bickle Posts: 9,202
    Forum Member

So people donate money to WaterAid if somebody pours water over themselves?

Seems a bit inappropriate to demonstrate that you have access to so much clean water that you can just throw it over yourself. Bit like having a sponsored pig-out to support a famine charity.
  • nessyfencernessyfencer Posts: 9,195
    Forum Member
    So people donate money to WaterAid if somebody pours water over themselves?

Seems a bit inappropriate to demonstrate that you have access to so much clean water that you can just throw it over yourself. Bit like having a sponsored pig-out to support a famine charity.

Like sitting in a bath of beans in aid of Comic Relief?
  • ShrikeShrike Posts: 16,606
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Reminds me of that craze for pouring bottles of milk over yourself - so 2012...
  • Trsvis_BickleTrsvis_Bickle Posts: 9,202
    Forum Member
    Like sitting in a bath of beans in aid of Comic Relief?

Whatever happened to doing that? As pathetic stunts go, it was up there with the best of them. :)
  • nessyfencernessyfencer Posts: 9,195
    Forum Member
    Whatever happened to doing that? As pathetic stunts go, it was up there with the best of them. :)

lol, yeah, but as you said a bit inappropriate to raise money for starving children while wasting so much ;)
  • zx50zx50 Posts: 91,269
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Some people do the absolute stupidest of things just so they won't feel left out of something. It makes you wonder what the hell's going on in their brain.
  • GrannyGruntbuckGrannyGruntbuck Posts: 3,638
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I hope they take their hearing aids off first as after a drenching, they will no longer work!
  • GroutyGrouty Posts: 34,030
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Did quite a lot of Drenching in All Creatures Great and Small. :D
  • GeordiePaulGeordiePaul Posts: 1,323
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    zx50 wrote: »
    Some people do the absolute stupidest of things just so they won't feel left out of something. It makes you wonder what the hell's going on in their brain.

Brain you say!? ;-)

Seriously though, most people are just lemmings, sheep or whatever. Never like to be left out of anything. Pretty laughable and sad really. I pity them for not being able to think for themselves.
  • jenziejenzie Posts: 20,821
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    thankfully the blind haven't started doing this ..... who knows where it'll end up :D
  • pugamopugamo Posts: 18,039
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'd be up for this on a hot day like today!