Old people swearing

2»

Comments

• TakaeTakae Posts: 13,555
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Heh. I learnt some of the profanity from elderly people when I was a kid.

I must admit that the largest amount came from my grandmother, who looked as if butter wouldn't melt in her mouth. She was creative with swear words as well, which is something I could never manage to achieve. She always blamed it on her parents, who worked behind the scenes in music halls around East London. Yeah right, Grandma. :D

The majority preferred euphemisms, though.

There was a scrap collector with a cart and horse shouting at a cocky young man who had just slapped his horse's rump while walking past, "Watch yourself, dipstick!" Took me years to realise what 'dipstick' meant.

I agree with the others that the standard was that one mustn't swear in front of children. This standard is no longer standard these days, I suppose.
  • GeordiePaulGeordiePaul Posts: 1,323
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Some people swear, other people don't. It's always been thus. Age doesn't come into it.

Now **** off. :D
  • albertdalbertd Posts: 14,355
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    When I was just starting out in the world of work in the mid 1960s, I was with a team working in a busy shopping street. The old gang foreman (probably really only in his 40s) was standing at the back of the lorry F...ing away about something and a passing woman gave him a dirty look. He looked at her and apologised "I'm F...ing sorry Lady" was what he said. He wondered why the rest of us fell about once she had gone, he had no idea of what he had just done!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,830
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    zounds wrote: »
    Before you know it you will be 'they', will you tell off younger people for swearing yourself?

I would never tell young(er) people off for swearing. I would expect nothing better from them. But your old(er), I expect better from them, to uphold standards. I mean, what example are they setting for the younger people who should look up to them and respect them ? It might be part of why the older people are somewhat disrespected nowadays and people just think they are old and get in the way. They walk slower than other people but they swear almost as fast.
  • HogzillaHogzilla Posts: 24,116
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    petertard wrote: »
    They used to be our elders and betters and told us off if we swore in the past, but now old people swear as well. Have standards fallen ?

Ah, petertard question!

Nope. My grandad was born in 1899. He swore like a ****ing ****. But then, he'd had a hard life.:D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,510
    Forum Member
    I swear like a trooper, but never in front of my kids or their peers so I can see why people think old people don't swear... I once heard my nana call somebody a W**** (totally out of character) and I thought it was the funniest thing ever
  • LakieLadyLakieLady Posts: 19,719
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I am a foulmouth from a long line of foulmouths. Both my parents were prolific and creative swearers, and all of it done in delightfully plummy voices.

I see no reason to end a family tradition. I'm 59 and intend to go to my grave swearing and cursing. I'd like my dying words to be "F***, f***, f***".
  • alan29alan29 Posts: 34,632
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm old and posh. I swear in an incredibly posh accent.