In need of a rant - inefffectual, useless effing police

2»

Comments

• Options
    yagyag Posts: 1,640
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Nattie01 wrote: »
    My son had five Ninetendo games (total cost £150) games stolen from our home yesterday. We have a very strong suspect but the police are refusing to do anything, because the person in question is under 10. They won't even give me a crime reference number so I can claim on my insurance because they are not convinced a crime has beem committed :confused: - despite the fact that the games have vanished into thin air. And believe me we have turned the house upside down today.

They even implied that perhaps my son may have sold them on despite the fact that he was obviously heartbroken. Basically they couldn't give a toss. I wonder why they even bothered to come round at all. :mad::mad::mad:

Rant over. Sorry I just needed to get it off my chest.

I would question your son. Somethings smells fishy
  • Options
    susie-4964susie-4964 Posts: 23,143
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    yag wrote: »
    I would question your son. Somethings smells fishy

There's no evidence that these games have been stolen, therefore the police can't issue a crime reference number. Doesn't matter if the probability is that this other child has them.
  • Options
    merlinsmummerlinsmum Posts: 3,991
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My sympathies,
    when my youngest was about 6 his 10 yr old cousin stole a dozen of his favourite cars plus some other toys from our home. At the time my sister was emigrating and had given most of the child's stuff to charity as she didn't want to ship it! When I confronted them with what had happened he denied it of course but we found the items under his bed. We did not call the police of course, but did expect his parents to have words with him. Their solution was to take him shopping for toys as they felt he was feeling deprived!:eek: I never allowed him alone in my son's room again, even when they returned to the UK after 12 months.

As for the police reaction, I don't know about under 10's but when my 17 yr old son's car was broken into twice in a week and stereo etc. taken, they never came out at all. Yet 2 weeks after the event we had a letter stating they would call if we felt we had been targeted because we were from an ethnic minority, gay, etc. etc. Since we are British born, married, hetrosexual, white and home owners who are not on benefits then according to the criteria in the letter we did not qualify for a visit.

Sad really, every person targeted by criminals in this country should be treated as though they matter. This targetting of certain groups can only add to tension between those who feel ignored in favour of others.
  • Options
    SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The police.

In my experience, there's been some really lovely ones who have done their job brilliantly.

Then there have been some complete ******* who have revelled in their power and done everything they can to show how that 'power' can cause damage.

Just goes to show, the police are like the rest of humankind, some good, some rotten.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,540
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Nattie01 wrote: »
    My son had five Ninetendo games (total cost £150) games stolen from our home yesterday. We have a very strong suspect but the police are refusing to do anything, because the person in question is under 10. They won't even give me a crime reference number so I can claim on my insurance because they are not convinced a crime has beem committed :confused: - despite the fact that the games have vanished into thin air. And believe me we have turned the house upside down today.

They even implied that perhaps my son may have sold them on despite the fact that he was obviously heartbroken. Basically they couldn't give a toss. I wonder why they even bothered to come round at all. :mad::mad::mad:

Rant over. Sorry I just needed to get it off my chest.

The police can do nothing if he is under the age of criminal responsability, please don't moan about the cops, its the politicians who make the laws, get on their backs.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,540
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    merlinsmum wrote: »
    My sympathies,
    when my youngest was about 6 his 10 yr old cousin stole a dozen of his favourite cars plus some other toys from our home. At the time my sister was emigrating and had given most of the child's stuff to charity as she didn't want to ship it! When I confronted them with what had happened he denied it of course but we found the items under his bed. We did not call the police of course, but did expect his parents to have words with him. Their solution was to take him shopping for toys as they felt he was feeling deprived!:eek: I never allowed him alone in my son's room again, even when they returned to the UK after 12 months.

As for the police reaction, I don't know about under 10's but when my 17 yr old son's car was broken into twice in a week and stereo etc. taken, they never came out at all. Yet 2 weeks after the event we had a letter stating they would call if we felt we had been targeted because we were from an ethnic minority, gay, etc. etc. Since we are British born, married, hetrosexual, white and home owners who are not on benefits then according to the criteria in the letter we did not qualify for a visit.

Sad really, every person targeted by criminals in this country should be treated as though they matter. This targetting of certain groups can only add to tension between those who feel ignored in favour of others.

Sorry but once again, target the politcians who make the laws.